General News about Frederik, Mary and Family 8: March - May 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends what you count, only the Apanage or only the private wealth? Or do you combine it?

It depends what you count, only the Apanage or only the private wealth? Or do you combine it?

I guess you'd combine it? But not count state-owned wealth ...so apanage elements that involved the household maintenance, staff etc I guess is largely benefiting the state/heritage and not the royals themselves.

It's probably more complicated than I thought! :)

So it was a general invitation addressed to the head of state, i.e. QMII?
As such F&M were not specifically invited?
But surely Frederik is aware of the protocol, so why did he say M&F weren't invited in that catagoric way? - Which indeed I thought was a strange way to behave on the part of the BRF. :confused:
Oh, my head hurts! :headache:

Enough of that! I hope those who did go, enjoyed the wedding.
To me the clip of the priest doing saltos outside the church, illustrated the essense of the mood that day.
It's healthy to have a feel-good-day and to forget about the financial crises and what not.
Or alternatively to have something to be grumpy about. :p

I am a tad concerned that Mary may be suffering PND. She does seem flatter than usual (like the footage of Mary shopping recently on her own). Given Mary's close connection with Britain, having Scottish parents and relatives, I'm sure Margrethe would have taken Mary to the wedding in normal circumstances, because of that, because Mary is nearly as close in age to W & C as the other CPs and CPSSs, and would normally thoroughly enjoy the occasion and contribute greatly to it. PND is quite common, so it would not be a great surprise if Mary experienced it. I hope she is OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a tad concerned that Mary may be suffering PND. She does seem flatter than usual (like the footage of Mary shopping recently on her own). Given Mary's close connection with Britain, having Scottish parents and relatives, I'm sure Margrethe would have taken Mary to the wedding in normal circumstances, because of that, because Mary is nearly as close in age to W & C as the other CPs and CPSSs, and would normally thoroughly enjoy the occasion and contribute greatly to it. PND is quite common, so it would not be a great surprise if Mary experienced it. I hope she is OK.

well, let's hope she is fully ok. i had read a story about she suffering a bout of depression the third day or so after the twins' birth and frederik fondly taking care of her, which could explain why she went all teary when mentioned the support she got from her husband when they were interviewed while going back home.
as you say, she looks a bit subdued even if she was fabulous at the christening. i just reckon that, while frederik can help a lot and most likey does help a lot with the two oldest children, he cannot really do that much with the twins. or better, he can help but mary remains the fundamental caring factor in their case.
anyhow, pnd or not, i don't think that - with two children this little - she would have gone to the wedding. and bringing v&j to london would have been quite exausting i think...

To conclude this talk about invitations:

One of the best Danish experts on royalty - Mette von Lowzow - formerly Countess Mette Lerche of 'A royal family' fame was commenting the events yesterday on our public channel DR1. She mentioned that QEII was hosting the wedding and the early wedding reception. According to protocol she invites heads of state only. Had the PoW been hosting he'd invited the heirs apparent. The Pow did not host the main event in order to avoid any ill feelings because of the Duchess of Cornwall.
Mette Lowzow von also volunteered a few comments on the general state of the relationship between the British and the continental RFs. She interrupted herself mid-sentence .. but let it slip that Queen Mother was the culprit! The 'Huns' - eh?

Viv

Can you please clarify the parts I've bolded?

I guess you'd combine it? But not count state-owned wealth ...so apanage elements that involved the household maintenance, staff etc I guess is largely benefiting the state/heritage and not the royals themselves.

It's probably more complicated than I thought! :)

i hope she's ok too.

i read that mary's coming back to work next thursday... we 'll see if she has pnd. where did you read that?

and yes, where are those shopping photos????

well, let's hope she is fully ok. i had read a story about she suffering a bout of depression the third day or so after the twins' birth and frederik fondly taking care of her, which could explain why she went all teary when mentioned the support she got from her husband when they were interviewed while going back home.

as you say, she looks a bit subdued even if she was fabulous at the christening. i just reckon that, while frederik can help a lot and most likey does help a lot with the two oldest children, he cannot really do that much with the twins. or better, he can help but mary remains the fundamental caring factor in their case.
anyhow, pnd or not, i don't think that - with two children this little - she would have gone to the wedding. and bringing v&j to london would have been quite exausting i think...

where did you read that? like i said, i hope she's ok, we'll see it next thursday at Glyptotek...

I think the baby blues is different from post natal depression...and subdued at the christening, maybe that is just being overwhelmed and tense (having to wrangle four kids at a public event)...And as for 'seeing' if she has PND from photos, well that is part of the illness, that it hidden well under a facade of 'happy-happy-smiley-smiley everything is great'...It is not a physically visible illness/condition like baldness or obesity or acne...

Can we move on from speculating whether Crown Princess Mary is suffering from post natal depression or any depression, further posts will be deleted.

Thanks

Can you please clarify the parts I've bolded?

As much as I would like to I only have the comments of Anna von Lowzow to refer to! She is quite knowledgeable and trustworthy for a royalty expert; firstly she made the 6-part TV-series "A royal family" in 2003, secondly being a noblewoman she has special 'insider' access to the DRF!

IMO the comment about the PoW doesn't really need elaborating! There's the protocol aspect - who should invite whom to what - and then there's the "sensitivity prospect". In an ideal world the Pow should have been hosting the reception held immediatety after church, however as a co-host the 'wicked stepmother ' would have been on the receiving end of the line! As a consequence the Queen hosted the reception in stead, with all it entails protocol-wise. The Pow then hosted the private evening dinner-dance, where it was deemed that the Diana-spectre wouldn't be an issue!

Now, I'm not saying this is the gospel truth! I'm saying that this is what Anna von Lowzow said. She's usually not running about with idle speculation, but of course there's never a rule without an exception to it! ;)

As for the Queen Mother: It's hardly a secret that the gin-and Dubonnet fuelled old dear with the flower-print chiffon dresses and Winnie-the-Pooh hats had a xenophobic streak. We on the European continent were called 'the Huns.'. !

Viv

Last edited:
Not too get too off topic but I find that statement regarding the QM to be slight off base. Queen Ingrid after all was a great friend of the Queen Mother, and the godmother of the late Princess Margaret. In addition, the QM was great friends with the late King Olav.

I agree with Zonk. The Queen Mother did not hold such views about Europeans, generally. I agree that she was a tad xenophobic but she was a product of her times and merely reflected the opinions of many of the British people, which were a response to the stresses of years of exertion in trying to halt an attempted invasion. Thankfully, those days are long gone.

Thanks for the explanations everyone - but the fact that two generations of the Spanish royals were invited makes me think that it wasn't just protocol. The Spanish royals are the second-to-senior royal house in terms of wealth and influence. I'd say "wealth and influence" were very much a factor in the invitation list, as essentially it is about power, trade, and world influence. After all, that's the raison d'etre for still having a monarchy ... not sentiment or a sense of history!

I disagree about the Spanish royals being second in terms of wealth and influence. Influence in the broader Spanish world - yes, I can certainly agree.

As for personal wealth, in the Forbes lists of the last few years, neither the Spanish royals nor the Japanese royals made the published first fifteen.

The richest monarch in the world, and has been for some time, is the King of Thailand, followed by various monarchs or rulers of oil rich states. Liechtenstein, Monaco, the UK, the Netherlands all have royal houses whose personal wealth far outstrips that of the Spanish royal family.

The Prince of the Asturias went as proxy for his father. His wife accompanied him as a matter of course. The Queen is a cousin of Philip,as is her brother, the King of the Hellenes, and as such would have been invited in her own right. It really was as simple as that.

:previous:

totally agree.

this is what i found:
the patrimonies of:
king of spain, 1700 millions us dollars
the grand duke of luxembourg, 1700 millions
king of sweeden, 1122 millions
king of norway, 200 millions
queen of denmark, 2000 millions
king of belgium, 16 millions(?)
queen of the netherlands, 300 millions
queen of great britain, 600 millions

correct me if i'm wrong...

totally agree.

this is what i found:
the patrimonies of:

I don't know what you are trying to say but I doubt the King of Spain is worth 1.7 billion dollars!

totally agree.

this is what i found:
the patrimonies of:

Something is certainly wrong with these figures.
The DRF have nowhere near 2 billion. Whether it's in DKK or $.
Somewhere between 25-50 million DKK would be far more realistic.

The King of Sweden's fortune was reduced after the financial crisis and I read somewhere he had lost up to 50 million SKK, so that his fortune is now around 100-150 million SKK.

Last edited:

totally agree.

this is what i found:
the patrimonies of:

Where is this information from? It seems way over exaggerated.

Forbes gives the following 5 royal houses as the richest in Europe in 2011;

1. Hans-Adam II Prince von und zu Liechtenstein & family, Liechtenstein

2. Prince Albert von Thurn und Taxis, Germany

3. Prince Albert Grimaldi II & family, Monaco

4. Queen Elizabeth II, United Kingdom

5. Queen Beatrix & family, Netherlands

Edited to add the link to Forbes: http://blogs.forbes.com/luisakroll/...activity&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=20110427

Neither Denmark or Spain get close to this list - which is not surprising. IMO, the reason why Spain received two invitations (Head of State and CPs) was only due to the very close relationship Charles has always have with most members of the SRF. A healthy relationship away from papparazzi and cameras and, apparently, very much shared with the Duchess of Cornwall for many years.

Last edited:
I think the royal families receive one invitation each. Each individual family decides who they will send from their family. It may be one to four people.

i found that information in a magazine, but i think that is wrong information too, that's why i said "correct me if i'm wrong"...

and maybe it's the national patrimony, not their personal fortunes...

I doubt that any RF is willing to disclose their private assets to the general public ;)!
Muhler reduced the DRF -fortune to 25-50 mill. Danish kroner.
Maybe he's right.. . if we include the value of their real estate! .
The last cash injection allegedly came from the late Queen
Ingrid's Swedish inheritance. She inherited her father in 1973.
Whatever it amounted to and whatever was left of it at her death
in 2000, it had to be shared between her three daughters.

Viv

Posts on the Danish Family participating in the incoming State Visit from South Korea can be found in this thread

Happy Anniversary, Mary! (Is it today or was it yesterday? Time difference!)

Wow - four children in seven years. I hope F & M got away for a special dinner together. Have there been any announcements or celebrations in previous years, or is it all private? I can't remember whether some of the photoshoots in recent years of just Frederik and Mary have been around their anniversaries.

Princesses' lives --> photo of CP Couple, They are going for dinner on 14th may. Yesterday they celebrated their 7th wedding anniversary in Copenhagen.

Princesses' lives --> photo of CP Couple, They are going for dinner on 14th may. Yesterday they celebrated their 7th wedding anniversary in Copenhagen.

Good to see them celebrating out, I wonder if it was just the two or had invited friends at the restaurant.
Fred & Mary dressed very casual which I like.

Good to see them celebrating out, I wonder if it was just the two or had invited friends at the restaurant.
Fred & Mary dressed very casual which I like.

Just the two of them. (And PET). There is no mentioning anywhere of friends being present as well.

Wow, only seven years? It seems so amazing that time has flown like that.

Thanks for sharing the link. Wasn't it cold in Copenhagen? Mary seems like she might be underdressed for the weather; everyone else on the street seems to have (at least) a sweater on, if not a jacket or coat.

They say time speeds up as you get older and for me I think that's true because I can't believe it's been seven years since Mary and frederik were married.

I love that they're out and about (with PET behind) celebrating their anniversary. Congrats F&M :D

The print issue of Billed-Bladet has new pictures of Mary, Frederik, Isabella and Christian
this week, hopefully we'll get to see some of them:

** Glæd dig til BILLED-BLADET – allerede på onsdag ** translation **

They all just look beautiful on the cover. Can't wait to buy the magazine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom