General News about Frederik, Mary and Family 8: March - May 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but aren't both couples friends? If the CP couple is friends with C&A then I think Mary would be there. Unless she's physically unable to attend.

No clue if there is a close friendship :huh:

Last edited:
I've never heard of A&C and F&M being friends. Maybe royal acquaintances but I'm not sure that they are close friends.

I don't know about "close" friends. But I do know Victoria is good friends with Albert. I thought Mary and Fred were well acquainted with C&A but I guess not.

We don't know if they are close friends and received an invitation because of that, or if they received an invitation because of the IOC or if the didn't receive an invitation at all.

To what I have read on other forums is that Albert & Charlene have sent out invitations not only to heads of states but to those who Albert has attended their weddings and so on, therefore I do think Frederik & Mary are invited along with the Queen & Prince Henrik. Whether they go or not is up to them to decide but even with 4 children, the twins would just over 6 months, I don't see a problem if she leaves them for 2 days if she is able to.

A little ot, but could she pump so much milk in advance? Or would you (in general) start to feed additional things like puree?

A little ot, but could she pump so much milk in advance? Or would you (in general) start to feed additional things like puree?

Oh, the twins would be fine without Mary around for a couple of the days. That's no problem.

It's more a question of how wasted Mary feels and more to the point: I doubt Mary, nor Frederik would enjoy the wedding that much.
It's just that you prefer to be able to get back to your children as fast as possible. Just in case.
A wedding in London can after all not be compared to a stroll in Copenhagen or a visit to a friend, where you know you can be back within half an hour or so.
You just don't feel comfortable with that.

- If that indeed is the reason why M&F are not going.

I think his was a question regarding the Monaco wedding, not the London wedding.
I agree that Mary&Frederik probably weren't too keen to attend the wedding today. Too early for Mary. And that's probably one of the reasons why QM went herself (I find it telling that PH does not accompany her. This seems to be just "head of state"-business.)

But what about the wedding in 2 months? Is there a chance M&F will attend? I think they could combine it with a holiday in Caix or South-France and take all their children with them.

I think his was a question regarding the Monaco wedding, not the London wedding.
I agree that Mary&Frederik probably weren't too keen to attend the wedding today. Too early for Mary. And that's probably one of the reasons why QM went herself (I find it telling that PH does not accompany her. This seems to be just "head of state"-business.)

But what about the wedding in 2 months? Is there a chance M&F will attend? I think they could combine it with a holiday in Caix or South-France and take all their children with them.

Oh, I misunderstood then. :)
I guess Mary could attend the wedding in Monaco if she wanted to.

I just don't think so. This, I think, will be very much a French affair, so that's why I think it will be the Regent Couple and J&M who will go.
- And some may think it is our Marie's turn to go to a big wedding.... ;) Or what?

For that matter all three couples could go. Benedikte could be Regent.

Last edited:
No, the Monaco wedding is not a French affair. It will be an international affair.
Marie's or Henrik's Frenchness IMO has little to do with it. It's about rank, not about ex-nationality.

And I don't see the Regent Couple in Monaco. They never attended any event there, not the funeral of Prince Rainier, not the inauguration of Prince Albert, despite Henrik's Frenchness. But well, I didn't see the Queen in London as well ;), so perhaps the Monaco wedding will be Henrik's turn. But I definitely don't see the Queen in Monaco.

Marie attended the Greek wedding. So I really don't think it's her turn now. Originally I thought M&F would attend the British, M&J the Monaco wedding. But since the Queen attended the British wedding I have the feeling it wouldn't be enough to only send M&J. Sorry, but they are really too unimportant. Prince Albert is a head of state after all. So perhaps it will be Henrik and J&M.

But I hope for M&F (instead of Henrik). And M&J would be nice too. :) I read there are 4000 invited guests after all.

IMO M & F would have gone to London had they been invited! As previously mentioned CP Frederik commented on the 'non-invitation' a few weeks ago, an unprecedented move. Not that he said much about it but enough to ascertain, that he was found the set-up a bit strange since only heads of state were invited.
And it's probably not lost on anyone that a few Danes on the forum are miffed that the BRF dispatched egg nr 4 to the weddings of the Danish and Swedish heirs apparents, whereas the BRF invite the heads of state to the wedding of nr. 2 in line.:bang:
It doesn't add up and it speaks volumes of how the British Royal family regard their continental counterparts.
And finally: I wished that Queen Margrethe had had the good heart to leave the invitations to the heir like the Swedes, the Belgians and the Dutch. It would have been the proper thing to do, but I'm afraid it's probably too much to ask of HM who hates to miss a good party.

Viv

No, the Monaco wedding is not a French affair. It will be an international affair.
Marie's or Henrik's Frenchness IMO has little to do with it. It's about rank, not about ex-nationality.

If you talk about rank and protocol, you are right. But I'll bet you three bananas we are nevertheless going to see Prince Henrik at this wedding. :p
I'd say the French cultural background in Monaco is going to play a role when deciding who to go.

Had they been invited personally perhaps they would have gone, or Frederik at least. AFAIK all Frederik said was: It's no shame to stay away if you are not invited. The non-(personal)-invitation is a fact, everything else is interpretation. Except for the Swedish wedding where his son was pageboy and the bride a friend Frederik always gave me the impression that he is bored by these kind of events.

And if I were breastfeeding twins I would prefer to watch the wedding on TV at home. These royal events are something special for us who will probably never be invited to one. But IMO for Mary there will be many royal events in the future as there were many in the past.
I think QM chose to attend because she likes a good party and because it's still too early for Mary. But I think if Frederik&Mary would have been keen on attending she would have passed the invitation on to them, as many of her counterparts did.

EDIT: This was a reply to Viv. Muhler came in between.

When did Frederik comment on them not getting an invite? I thought the invite was sent to the household and the head of the house decided who should attend such an event?

Lumutquuen and others...
Forgive me for barking on about this, however a couple of weeks ago CP Frederik told a BB reporter - who intercepted him in London in connection with some sports-related meeting - that he (and Mary) had not been invited to the wedding. I don't remember a Danish royal making such a comment previously! And he added: 'As far as I know only heads of state are invited'. - The latter would normally be decoded as Danish royal speak for 'only heads of state are invited"!
Apparently that entails that the head of state is welcome to send the heir if he/she is unable to attend.
Some posters suggest that the invitations were not 'personal', i.e. two seats were allotted for each foreign RF. None of us have seen these invitations, so we don't know to be honest, but in addition to Frederik's comment the actual attendance in Westminster Abbey today speaks against it.

Hopefully not barking up the wrong tree ... :)
Viv

Last edited:
When did Frederik comment on them not getting an invite? I thought the invite was sent to the household and the head of the house decided who should attend such an event?

He said so, while he was interviewed in London by a BB reporter.

Viv kindly translated what he said. That was in issue #14 or 15.

Alright then, but what's the issue? Mary and Fred aren't friends with the couple, Mary is still on maternity and I'm sure they are both glad they get to spend time with their children rather than sitting in a cold abbey watching two people get married, then to be hearded off to place after place all day?
You can see a copy of the invitations somewhere in the Royal wedding thread, i'll try and find one but on it read nothing about "alloting two seats before royal family", seeing as the Spanish had 3 members attending. The only bad thing about it is that we didn't get to see Mary in one of her wonderful outfits. :)

But I'll bet you three bananas we are nevertheless going to see Prince Henrik at this wedding. :p
I agree there is a possibility we will see Prince Henrik there. But I 'll bet you three bananas we will not see the Regent Couple/Queen Margrethe at that wedding. :p

I agree there is a possibility we will see Prince Henrik there. But I 'll bet you three bananas we will not see the Regent Couple/Queen Margrethe at that wedding. :p

You are on. :lol:

To conclude this talk about invitations:

One of the best Danish experts on royalty - Mette von Lowzow - formerly Countess Mette Lerche of 'A royal family' fame was commenting the events yesterday on our public channel DR1. She mentioned that QEII was hosting the wedding and the early wedding reception. According to protocol she invites heads of state only. Had the PoW been hosting he'd invited the heirs apparent. The Pow did not host the main event in order to avoid any ill feelings because of the Duchess of Cornwall.
Mette Lowzow von also volunteered a few comments on the general state of the relationship between the British and the continental RFs. She interrupted herself mid-sentence .. but let it slip that Queen Mother was the culprit! The 'Huns' - eh?

Viv

Last edited:
To conclude this talk about invitations:

One of the best Danish experts on royalty - Mette von Lowzow - formerly Countess Mette Lerche of 'A royal family' fame was commenting the events yesterday on our public channel DR1. She mentioned that QEII was hosting the wedding and the early wedding reception. According to protocol she invites heads of state only. Had the PoW been hosting he'd invited the heirs apparent. The Pow did not host the main event in order to avoid any ill feelings because of the Duchess of Cornwall.
Mette Lowzow von also volunteered a few comments on the general state of the relationship between the British and the continental RFs. She interrupted herself mid-sentence .. but let it slip that Queen Mother was the culprit! The 'Huns' - eh?

Viv

So it was a general invitation addressed to the head of state, i.e. QMII?
As such F&M were not specifically invited?
But surely Frederik is aware of the protocol, so why did he say M&F weren't invited in that catagoric way? - Which indeed I thought was a strange way to behave on the part of the BRF. :confused:
Oh, my head hurts! :headache:

Enough of that! I hope those who did go, enjoyed the wedding.
To me the clip of the priest doing saltos outside the church, illustrated the essense of the mood that day.
It's healthy to have a feel-good-day and to forget about the financial crises and what not.
Or alternatively to have something to be grumpy about. :p

Last edited:
So it was a general invitation addressed to the head of state, i.e. QMII?
As such F&M were not specifically invited?
But surely Frederik is aware of the protocol, so why did he say M&F weren't invited in that catagoric way? - Which indeed I thought was a strange way to behave on the part of the BRF. :confused:
Oh, my head hurts! :headache:

Enough of that! I hope those who did go, enjoyed the wedding.
To me the clip of the priest doing saltos outside the church, illustrated the essense of the mood that day.
It's healthy to have a feel-good-day and to forget about the financial crises and what not.
Or alternatively to have something to be grumpy about. :p

Thanks for the explanations everyone - but the fact that two generations of the Spanish royals were invited makes me think that it wasn't just protocol. The Spanish royals are the second-to-senior royal house in terms of wealth and influence. I'd say "wealth and influence" were very much a factor in the invitation list, as essentially it is about power, trade, and world influence. After all, that's the raison d'etre for still having a monarchy ... not sentiment or a sense of history!

but the fact that two generations of the Spanish royals were invited makes me think that it wasn't just protocol. The Spanish royals are the second-to-senior royal house in terms of wealth and influence.

Denmark: Queen Sofia, The Prince of Asturias, Infanta's Elena and Christina and their respective husbands and Ms Letizia Ortiz.

Sweden: Queen Sofia, The Prince and Princess of Asturias, Infanta Elena and Infanta Christina and husband.

England: Queen Sofia, The Prince and Princess of Asturias.

I think the invites were very much about protocol.

The Prince of Oranje and Princess Maxima represented Queen Beatrix yesterday, and Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel represented King Carl XVI Gustav.

Haakon and Mette-Marit didn't go as King Harald and Queen Sonja attended the wedding.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanations everyone - but the fact that two generations of the Spanish royals were invited makes me think that it wasn't just protocol. The Spanish royals are the second-to-senior royal house in terms of wealth and influence. I'd say "wealth and influence" were very much a factor in the invitation list, as essentially it is about power, trade, and world influence. After all, that's the raison d'etre for still having a monarchy ... not sentiment or a sense of history!
AFAIK there is no such fact.
As Viv pointed out the Queen only invited heads of states.
The head of the Spanish state is King Juan Carlos who did not attend. IMO Prince Felipe was there because he represented the king (just like the CPs of Sweden, Belgium, NL). And because the Queen of Denmark came alone there was a seat free :p so both his mother and his wife could come with him. After all Prince William spent some of his childhood holidays with the Spanish RF.

And the Spanish royal house is not second-to-senior in terms of wealth. Liechtenstein, Netherland, Monaco ... are wealthier. Nor is Spain a wealthier country than Denmark or Norway. It is important/influential though because of it's seize, it's history (Spanish expansion) and it's language.

Spain itself isn't wealthier, but the Spanish royals are much, much richer than the Danish royal family, who are regarded as relatively poor.

much richer than the Danish royal family, who are regarded as relatively poor.

I hardly believe they are thought of as 'poor'. Certainly they do not represent that standard of living whatsoever :D

They are quite comfortable, not exceedingly affluent.

Last edited:
I hardly believe they are thought of as 'poor'. Certainly they do not represent that standard of living whatsoever :D

They are quite comfortable, not exceedingly affluent.

"Relatively poor" means poor in relation to the uber rich royal houses. They are poor cousins to the BRF and the SRF, and certainly poor relative to the middle eastern, Thai and other royals. They are also poor relative to Russian oligarchs and they certainly aren't in the billionaire league, as they don't own the palaces. In terms of wealth, they are indeed somewhere between the Middletons and Donald Trump. Relative to you or me, they are of course stratospherically rich!

Absolutely. Compared to most European RF's, the DRF are the poor relatives.
They are after all "government employees" and hardly overpaid.:p - A healthy thing I believe.

If they were suddenly transformed into ordinary citizens, I think only the Regent Couple would be able to maintain a modest upper-class standard of living, financed by the interest from investments of their fortune.

M&F would certainly have to work in order to maintain a similar standard as now. Otherwise I'd estimate they would only be able to afford a fairly modest middleclass standard from their interest.

J&M have their business and the apanage they recieve is important, no doubt, but I believe they would still be able to live at Schackenborg. Probably maintaining a standard of living higher then M&F. - Joachim is no pauper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom