The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #321  
Old 04-30-2011, 03:27 AM
Viv's Avatar
Viv Viv is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Funen, Denmark
Posts: 756
To conclude this talk about invitations:

One of the best Danish experts on royalty - Mette von Lowzow - formerly Countess Mette Lerche of 'A royal family' fame was commenting the events yesterday on our public channel DR1. She mentioned that QEII was hosting the wedding and the early wedding reception. According to protocol she invites heads of state only. Had the PoW been hosting he'd invited the heirs apparent. The Pow did not host the main event in order to avoid any ill feelings because of the Duchess of Cornwall.
Mette Lowzow von also volunteered a few comments on the general state of the relationship between the British and the continental RFs. She interrupted herself mid-sentence .. but let it slip that Queen Mother was the culprit! The 'Huns' - eh?

Viv
__________________

  #322  
Old 04-30-2011, 04:07 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post

- If that indeed is the reason why M&F are not going.
They didn't go because they were not invited.
__________________

  #323  
Old 04-30-2011, 05:01 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 8,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv View Post
To conclude this talk about invitations:

One of the best Danish experts on royalty - Mette von Lowzow - formerly Countess Mette Lerche of 'A royal family' fame was commenting the events yesterday on our public channel DR1. She mentioned that QEII was hosting the wedding and the early wedding reception. According to protocol she invites heads of state only. Had the PoW been hosting he'd invited the heirs apparent. The Pow did not host the main event in order to avoid any ill feelings because of the Duchess of Cornwall.
Mette Lowzow von also volunteered a few comments on the general state of the relationship between the British and the continental RFs. She interrupted herself mid-sentence .. but let it slip that Queen Mother was the culprit! The 'Huns' - eh?

Viv
So it was a general invitation addressed to the head of state, i.e. QMII?
As such F&M were not specifically invited?
But surely Frederik is aware of the protocol, so why did he say M&F weren't invited in that catagoric way? - Which indeed I thought was a strange way to behave on the part of the BRF.
Oh, my head hurts!

Enough of that! I hope those who did go, enjoyed the wedding.
To me the clip of the priest doing saltos outside the church, illustrated the essense of the mood that day.
It's healthy to have a feel-good-day and to forget about the financial crises and what not.
Or alternatively to have something to be grumpy about.
  #324  
Old 04-30-2011, 05:23 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
So it was a general invitation addressed to the head of state, i.e. QMII?
As such F&M were not specifically invited?
But surely Frederik is aware of the protocol, so why did he say M&F weren't invited in that catagoric way? - Which indeed I thought was a strange way to behave on the part of the BRF.
Oh, my head hurts!

Enough of that! I hope those who did go, enjoyed the wedding.
To me the clip of the priest doing saltos outside the church, illustrated the essense of the mood that day.
It's healthy to have a feel-good-day and to forget about the financial crises and what not.
Or alternatively to have something to be grumpy about.
Thanks for the explanations everyone - but the fact that two generations of the Spanish royals were invited makes me think that it wasn't just protocol. The Spanish royals are the second-to-senior royal house in terms of wealth and influence. I'd say "wealth and influence" were very much a factor in the invitation list, as essentially it is about power, trade, and world influence. After all, that's the raison d'etre for still having a monarchy ... not sentiment or a sense of history!
  #325  
Old 04-30-2011, 05:34 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,978
Quote:
but the fact that two generations of the Spanish royals were invited makes me think that it wasn't just protocol. The Spanish royals are the second-to-senior royal house in terms of wealth and influence.
Denmark: Queen Sofia, The Prince of Asturias, Infanta's Elena and Christina and their respective husbands and Ms Letizia Ortiz.

Sweden: Queen Sofia, The Prince and Princess of Asturias, Infanta Elena and Infanta Christina and husband.

England: Queen Sofia, The Prince and Princess of Asturias.

I think the invites were very much about protocol.

The Prince of Oranje and Princess Maxima represented Queen Beatrix yesterday, and Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel represented King Carl XVI Gustav.

Haakon and Mette-Marit didn't go as King Harald and Queen Sonja attended the wedding.
__________________

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
  #326  
Old 04-30-2011, 12:15 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aotearoagal View Post
Thanks for the explanations everyone - but the fact that two generations of the Spanish royals were invited makes me think that it wasn't just protocol. The Spanish royals are the second-to-senior royal house in terms of wealth and influence. I'd say "wealth and influence" were very much a factor in the invitation list, as essentially it is about power, trade, and world influence. After all, that's the raison d'etre for still having a monarchy ... not sentiment or a sense of history!
AFAIK there is no such fact.
As Viv pointed out the Queen only invited heads of states.
The head of the Spanish state is King Juan Carlos who did not attend. IMO Prince Felipe was there because he represented the king (just like the CPs of Sweden, Belgium, NL). And because the Queen of Denmark came alone there was a seat free so both his mother and his wife could come with him. After all Prince William spent some of his childhood holidays with the Spanish RF.

And the Spanish royal house is not second-to-senior in terms of wealth. Liechtenstein, Netherland, Monaco ... are wealthier. Nor is Spain a wealthier country than Denmark or Norway. It is important/influential though because of it's seize, it's history (Spanish expansion) and it's language.
  #327  
Old 04-30-2011, 09:41 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 242
Spain itself isn't wealthier, but the Spanish royals are much, much richer than the Danish royal family, who are regarded as relatively poor.
  #328  
Old 04-30-2011, 10:14 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,978
Quote:
much richer than the Danish royal family, who are regarded as relatively poor.
I hardly believe they are thought of as 'poor'. Certainly they do not represent that standard of living whatsoever

They are quite comfortable, not exceedingly affluent.
__________________

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
  #329  
Old 05-01-2011, 12:36 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
I hardly believe they are thought of as 'poor'. Certainly they do not represent that standard of living whatsoever

They are quite comfortable, not exceedingly affluent.
"Relatively poor" means poor in relation to the uber rich royal houses. They are poor cousins to the BRF and the SRF, and certainly poor relative to the middle eastern, Thai and other royals. They are also poor relative to Russian oligarchs and they certainly aren't in the billionaire league, as they don't own the palaces. In terms of wealth, they are indeed somewhere between the Middletons and Donald Trump. Relative to you or me, they are of course stratospherically rich!
  #330  
Old 05-01-2011, 03:35 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 8,769
Absolutely. Compared to most European RF's, the DRF are the poor relatives.
They are after all "government employees" and hardly overpaid. - A healthy thing I believe.

If they were suddenly transformed into ordinary citizens, I think only the Regent Couple would be able to maintain a modest upper-class standard of living, financed by the interest from investments of their fortune.

M&F would certainly have to work in order to maintain a similar standard as now. Otherwise I'd estimate they would only be able to afford a fairly modest middleclass standard from their interest.

J&M have their business and the apanage they recieve is important, no doubt, but I believe they would still be able to live at Schackenborg. Probably maintaining a standard of living higher then M&F. - Joachim is no pauper.
  #331  
Old 05-01-2011, 06:56 AM
Sternchen's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: xxx, Germany
Posts: 1,282
It depends what you count, only the Apanage or only the private wealth? Or do you combine it?
__________________
Soccer is a game for 22 people that run around, play the ball, and one referee who makes a slew of mistakes, and in the end Germany always wins.
Gary Lineker
  #332  
Old 05-01-2011, 08:25 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternchen View Post
It depends what you count, only the Apanage or only the private wealth? Or do you combine it?
I guess you'd combine it? But not count state-owned wealth ...so apanage elements that involved the household maintenance, staff etc I guess is largely benefiting the state/heritage and not the royals themselves.

It's probably more complicated than I thought!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
So it was a general invitation addressed to the head of state, i.e. QMII?
As such F&M were not specifically invited?
But surely Frederik is aware of the protocol, so why did he say M&F weren't invited in that catagoric way? - Which indeed I thought was a strange way to behave on the part of the BRF.
Oh, my head hurts!

Enough of that! I hope those who did go, enjoyed the wedding.
To me the clip of the priest doing saltos outside the church, illustrated the essense of the mood that day.
It's healthy to have a feel-good-day and to forget about the financial crises and what not.
Or alternatively to have something to be grumpy about.
I am a tad concerned that Mary may be suffering PND. She does seem flatter than usual (like the footage of Mary shopping recently on her own). Given Mary's close connection with Britain, having Scottish parents and relatives, I'm sure Margrethe would have taken Mary to the wedding in normal circumstances, because of that, because Mary is nearly as close in age to W & C as the other CPs and CPSSs, and would normally thoroughly enjoy the occasion and contribute greatly to it. PND is quite common, so it would not be a great surprise if Mary experienced it. I hope she is OK.
  #333  
Old 05-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: turin, Italy
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aotearoagal View Post
I am a tad concerned that Mary may be suffering PND. She does seem flatter than usual (like the footage of Mary shopping recently on her own). Given Mary's close connection with Britain, having Scottish parents and relatives, I'm sure Margrethe would have taken Mary to the wedding in normal circumstances, because of that, because Mary is nearly as close in age to W & C as the other CPs and CPSSs, and would normally thoroughly enjoy the occasion and contribute greatly to it. PND is quite common, so it would not be a great surprise if Mary experienced it. I hope she is OK.
well, let's hope she is fully ok. i had read a story about she suffering a bout of depression the third day or so after the twins' birth and frederik fondly taking care of her, which could explain why she went all teary when mentioned the support she got from her husband when they were interviewed while going back home.
as you say, she looks a bit subdued even if she was fabulous at the christening. i just reckon that, while frederik can help a lot and most likey does help a lot with the two oldest children, he cannot really do that much with the twins. or better, he can help but mary remains the fundamental caring factor in their case.
anyhow, pnd or not, i don't think that - with two children this little - she would have gone to the wedding. and bringing v&j to london would have been quite exausting i think...
__________________
We can call him Elvis for the moment...
  #334  
Old 05-01-2011, 12:20 PM
RubyPrincess168's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sun Prairie, United States
Posts: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv View Post
To conclude this talk about invitations:

One of the best Danish experts on royalty - Mette von Lowzow - formerly Countess Mette Lerche of 'A royal family' fame was commenting the events yesterday on our public channel DR1. She mentioned that QEII was hosting the wedding and the early wedding reception. According to protocol she invites heads of state only. Had the PoW been hosting he'd invited the heirs apparent. The Pow did not host the main event in order to avoid any ill feelings because of the Duchess of Cornwall.
Mette Lowzow von also volunteered a few comments on the general state of the relationship between the British and the continental RFs. She interrupted herself mid-sentence .. but let it slip that Queen Mother was the culprit! The 'Huns' - eh?

Viv
Can you please clarify the parts I've bolded?
  #335  
Old 05-02-2011, 05:24 PM
Sternchen's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: xxx, Germany
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aotearoagal View Post
like the footage of Mary shopping recently on her own
Which footage of Mary shopping?
__________________
Soccer is a game for 22 people that run around, play the ball, and one referee who makes a slew of mistakes, and in the end Germany always wins.
Gary Lineker
  #336  
Old 05-02-2011, 11:38 PM
missMaryanne's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, CO, United States
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aotearoagal View Post
I guess you'd combine it? But not count state-owned wealth ...so apanage elements that involved the household maintenance, staff etc I guess is largely benefiting the state/heritage and not the royals themselves.

It's probably more complicated than I thought!



I am a tad concerned that Mary may be suffering PND. She does seem flatter than usual (like the footage of Mary shopping recently on her own). Given Mary's close connection with Britain, having Scottish parents and relatives, I'm sure Margrethe would have taken Mary to the wedding in normal circumstances, because of that, because Mary is nearly as close in age to W & C as the other CPs and CPSSs, and would normally thoroughly enjoy the occasion and contribute greatly to it. PND is quite common, so it would not be a great surprise if Mary experienced it. I hope she is OK.
i hope she's ok too.

i read that mary's coming back to work next thursday... we 'll see if she has pnd. where did you read that?

and yes, where are those shopping photos????

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliz View Post
well, let's hope she is fully ok. i had read a story about she suffering a bout of depression the third day or so after the twins' birth and frederik fondly taking care of her, which could explain why she went all teary when mentioned the support she got from her husband when they were interviewed while going back home.

as you say, she looks a bit subdued even if she was fabulous at the christening. i just reckon that, while frederik can help a lot and most likey does help a lot with the two oldest children, he cannot really do that much with the twins. or better, he can help but mary remains the fundamental caring factor in their case.
anyhow, pnd or not, i don't think that - with two children this little - she would have gone to the wedding. and bringing v&j to london would have been quite exausting i think...
where did you read that? like i said, i hope she's ok, we'll see it next thursday at Glyptotek...
__________________
"You're a wonderful person. I'm proud of being the partner of your life".-CP Haakon of Norway to CP Mette-Marit on their wedding day.
  #337  
Old 05-03-2011, 12:44 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 615
I think the baby blues is different from post natal depression...and subdued at the christening, maybe that is just being overwhelmed and tense (having to wrangle four kids at a public event)...And as for 'seeing' if she has PND from photos, well that is part of the illness, that it hidden well under a facade of 'happy-happy-smiley-smiley everything is great'...It is not a physically visible illness/condition like baldness or obesity or acne...
  #338  
Old 05-03-2011, 05:12 AM
dazzling's Avatar
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: -, France
Posts: 22,310
Can we move on from speculating whether Crown Princess Mary is suffering from post natal depression or any depression, further posts will be deleted.

Thanks
__________________
  #339  
Old 05-03-2011, 05:52 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Guimarães, Portugal
Posts: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternchen View Post
Which footage of Mary shopping?
Makeup shopping. You can see a litte video at Forside - SE og HØR.
  #340  
Old 05-03-2011, 08:22 AM
Viv's Avatar
Viv Viv is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Funen, Denmark
Posts: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 View Post
Can you please clarify the parts I've bolded?
As much as I would like to I only have the comments of Anna von Lowzow to refer to! She is quite knowledgeable and trustworthy for a royalty expert; firstly she made the 6-part TV-series "A royal family" in 2003, secondly being a noblewoman she has special 'insider' access to the DRF!

IMO the comment about the PoW doesn't really need elaborating! There's the protocol aspect - who should invite whom to what - and then there's the "sensitivity prospect". In an ideal world the Pow should have been hosting the reception held immediatety after church, however as a co-host the 'wicked stepmother ' would have been on the receiving end of the line! As a consequence the Queen hosted the reception in stead, with all it entails protocol-wise. The Pow then hosted the private evening dinner-dance, where it was deemed that the Diana-spectre wouldn't be an issue!

Now, I'm not saying this is the gospel truth! I'm saying that this is what Anna von Lowzow said. She's usually not running about with idle speculation, but of course there's never a rule without an exception to it!

As for the Queen Mother: It's hardly a secret that the gin-and Dubonnet fuelled old dear with the flower-print chiffon dresses and Winnie-the-Pooh hats had a xenophobic streak. We on the European continent were called 'the Huns.'. !

Viv
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
frederik, frederik & mary, general news thread, mary


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General News about Frederik, Mary and Family 10: December 2011 - January 2013 iceflower Current Events Archive 394 01-05-2013 04:59 AM
General News about Frederik, Mary and Family 9: May - December 2011 iceflower Current Events Archive 480 12-15-2011 08:10 AM
General News about Frederik, Mary and Family 7: October 2010 - March 2011 dazzling Current Events Archive 393 03-27-2011 09:17 AM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit best outfit june 2016 catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece harald kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander may 2016 member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess stéphanie's fashion & style queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion royal visits september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark state visit to france succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:36 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises