General News about Frederik, Mary and Family 7: October 2010 - March 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's so beautiful and natural and really - there is nothing to be awfraid. The life don't have to stop and I'm sure that queen Ingrid would be so glad to know that there are little (ok, soon not so little) family in her home and old room:flowers:

That's old tradition in the DRF. During the summer they move out into the country, I.e. Fredensborg. During the winter they stay in the city, I.e. Amalienborg.

Even though nowadays the Regent Couple seems to have taken up almost permanent residence at Fredensborg.

If you think that's a lot of moving about, this is nothing. Up until the introduction of absolutism around 1660 the Danish kings were constantly on the move.
In fact Copenhagen didn't become a de facto capital city until late in the 1400's.
Up until then the entire government apparatus usually moved around with the king.
By 1500 the administrative system had been so large and cumbersume that it wasn't possible to by mobile anymore. But the kings themselves where on the move for almost 200 years more.

Yes but why do they need to move between these two residences. Why not stay in the country, while their family is young and travel to the city for official reasons only?

Yes but why do they need to move between these two residences. Why not stay in the country, while their family is young and travel to the city for official reasons only?

Personally I wouldn't blame them if they did. Especially since Fredensborg seems such a great place for children to live.

There are several reasons.
The court, the entire administration is located at the Amalienborg complex. - It consists of more than the four palais.

Queen Margrethe could die tomorrow, so they might just as well get settled at Amalienborg.

Amalienborg is the official and main residence of the DRF, so it's expected that the members of the DRF, spend a good deal of time there. - Just as it is more or less expected that QEII spend at least some time at Buckingham Palace.

Another and perhaps just as important reason is showing affilliation with the various parts of Denmark. That's also why the Regent Couple in particular move between the various residences throughout the year. Marselisborg in Eastern Jutland, Gråsten in Southern Jutland, to show their affilliation with these parts of the country as well. - Otherwise people would complain: "They are only in Copenhagen, we never see them in this part of the country and why have palaces/mansions standing around if they are never used and so on...". Believe me, that has very much been a topic in the past! :whistling:
Which is of course why the summer cruises with Danneborg are so important and appreciated. - If the DRF haven't got a local residence, they can at least bring a residence with them. And that taste a bit like bird...

It would be comparable to the US President and his/her family being only head of state and not also head of the government. He could have his main residence in Washington DC, but during the year or his time in office also live for perods in mansions in California, Colorado, Ohio and Arkansas to show affilliation with all of USA. - A bit impractical perhaps but that may be outweighed by the symbolism?

Last edited:
Is there something wrong with Frederik? I think he often looks stressed and tense during nearly all newer pictures. His smile an laughter don't look as natural as some time ago. In some pictures he looks nearly a bit depressed. Like he really isn't enjoying what he is doing. He does not even look that happy in the newest pictures even if he and Mary are expect twins. Could it be some kind of midlife crisis?

Is there something wrong with Frederik? I think he often looks stressed and tense during nearly all newer pictures. His smile an laughter don't look as natural as some time ago. In some pictures he looks nearly a bit depressed. Like he really isn't enjoying what he is doing. He does not even look that happy in the newest pictures even if he and Mary are expect twins. Could it be some kind of midlife crisis?

nothing new. frederik admitted a long time ago that he isnt comfortable with the task he is going to inherit one day. on public duty, he is often insecure and awkward. i dont think that he is depressed (= ill) but there is a lot of pressure on him. he did the right thing by chosing a wife that takes away most of the attention but the pressure is mounting. one day everybody will look up to him and if he isnt up to scratch, people will quickly, like in other countries, ask the question, do we still need this? my personal opinion is that he isnt up to scratch. so far the danes are quite sweet with frederik, accepting him the way he is, but the question is, will this remain when he once holds the top job.

then, regarding his personal life, there is pressure too, 4 kids is a hell of a task and i guess he wants to be a better parent than his parents used to be. frederik, from time to time, strikes me as a loaner, using some escape routes from duty and family. i dont think their marriage is easy and i hope that mary will be able to deal with this in the long run.

all in all, I see him as a very reluctant monarch and hopefully he wont end up like the other reluctant monarch in the neighborcountry.

Personally I wouldn't blame them if they did. Especially since Fredensborg seems such a great place for children to live.

There are several reasons.
The court, the entire administration is located at the Amalienborg complex. - It consists of more than the four palais.

Queen Margrethe could die tomorrow, so they might just as well get settled at Amalienborg.

Amalienborg is the official and main residence of the DRF, so it's expected that the members of the DRF, spend a good deal of time there. - Just as it is more or less expected that QEII spend at least some time at Buckingham Palace.

Another and perhaps just as important reason is showing affilliation with the various parts of Denmark. That's also why the Regent Couple in particular move between the various residences throughout the year. Marselisborg in Eastern Jutland, Gråsten in Southern Jutland, to show their affilliation with these parts of the country as well. - Otherwise people would complain: "They are only in Copenhagen, we never see them in this part of the country and why have palaces/mansions standing around if they are never used and so on...". Believe me, that has very much been a topic in the past! :whistling:
Which is of course why the summer cruises with Danneborg are so important and appreciated. - If the DRF haven't got a local residence, they can at least bring a residence with them. And that taste a bit like bird...

It would be comparable to the US President and his/her family being only head of state and not also head of the government. He could have his main residence in Washington DC, but during the year or his time in office also live for perods in mansions in California, Colorado, Ohio and Arkansas to show affilliation with all of USA. - A bit impractical perhaps but that may be outweighed by the symbolism?

Thanks very much for taking the time to explain this to me.
I do see the point for the Monarch, but for the Crown Prince and Family, I could see the point of them staying put in the country.

Thanks very much for taking the time to explain this to me.
I do see the point for the Monarch, but for the Crown Prince and Family, I could see the point of them staying put in the country.

Because Mary and Frederik, in my opinion, are now taking over from the Regent Couple in earnest.
Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik are both over 70. PH has openly stated that he has more or less retired.
Queen Margrethe will not abdicate.

There have in the last to-three years been indications pointing towards Mary and Frederik taking over from the Regent Couple in almost anything but name. Despite Mary's pregnancy M&F have continued to perform tasks and take on events, where it would be more natural that at least the Queen took on.

QMII has said herself that she now work more closely with Frederik than ever before and that she follow his advise. (I.e. do things his way).
It's on the job training and preparation of course. But it's more than that. I believe we are looking at an ongoing transition right now.

I predict that within the next two years, QMII & PH will have semi-retired and that they will play a much lesser role than now, except for the constitutional tasks. That means that M&F will be the de facto regent couple.
And when the time comes, the change from CP-couple to regent-couple will be fairly small, for M&F.

Queen Margrethe has spoken about how big a change it was for her to become a Queen. She had to learn a lot and learn fast.
Polls have shown that the Danes are very positive towards QMII abdicating. Not because they are displeased with her, on the contrary. But because they think she has the right to retire and enjoy her remaining years.
Polls also show that the Danes believe M&F are now ready to take over.

QMII is a wise woman, no doubt about that. So why not compromise? Ensure that the transition for Mary and Frederik is as smooth as possible, let them already now put their mark on how things are done, let them already now take center stage.
So that, when she drops from the pearch as she puts it herself, M&F are already in their roles as king and queen.

Muhler I have a question for you please. When F&M take over will Joachim and Marie fill their position since the children will probably be to young?

Muhler I have a question for you please. When F&M take over will Joachim and Marie fill their position since the children will probably be to young?

I believe J&M will be even more busy than they are now. Our Marie will also, apart from accompanying Joachim on even more travels, have her own interests and she will probably in many ways take over from Princess Benedikte as well.

Because Mary and Frederik, in my opinion, are now taking over from the Regent Couple in earnest.
Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik are both over 70. PH has openly stated that he has more or less retired.
Queen Margrethe will not abdicate.

There have in the last to-three years been indications pointing towards Mary and Frederik taking over from the Regent Couple in almost anything but name. Despite Mary's pregnancy M&F have continued to perform tasks and take on events, where it would be more natural that at least the Queen took on.

QMII has said herself that she now work more closely with Frederik than ever before and that she follow his advise. (I.e. do things his way).
It's on the job training and preparation of course. But it's more than that. I believe we are looking at an ongoing transition right now.

I predict that within the next two years, QMII & PH will have semi-retired and that they will play a much lesser role than now, except for the constitutional tasks. That means that M&F will be the de facto regent couple.
And when the time comes, the change from CP-couple to regent-couple will be fairly small, for M&F.

Queen Margrethe has spoken about how big a change it was for her to become a Queen. She had to learn a lot and learn fast.
Polls have shown that the Danes are very positive towards QMII abdicating. Not because they are displeased with her, on the contrary. But because they think she has the right to retire and enjoy her remaining years.
Polls also show that the Danes believe M&F are now ready to take over.

QMII is a wise woman, no doubt about that. So why not compromise? Ensure that the transition for Mary and Frederik is as smooth as possible, let them already now put their mark on how things are done, let them already now take center stage.
So that, when she drops from the pearch as she puts it herself, M&F are already in their roles as king and queen.

In my opinion there wont be a smooth transition in any country (maybe apart from the Netherlands, where the monarch is likely to abdicate). QM is a very dominant person, "in charge" type of personality. I agree with you that she will not abdicate. As soon as Margrethe dies, Frederik will be King and all eyes will be on him. He will have to prove himself and like any other heir to the throne, the priviliges that the old monarch was entitled to will be under immense scrutiny and subject to discussion. I dont see the monarchy disappear in Denmark but people are likely to get more critical, especially if Frederik will be lacking the strong personality his mother has.

Regarding the "preparation time", it can get very difficult (see Prince Charles), the monarch is still the monarch and "traing on the job" for too long can be counterproductive.

I think Danes know Fred quiet well and so also his personality :lol: What is QMII supposed to do to shorten the training on the job?

I believe J&M will be even more busy than they are now. Our Marie will also, apart from accompanying Joachim on even more travels, have her own interests and she will probably in many ways take over from Princess Benedikte as well.

Thank you Muhler I knew you would have my answer.:flowers: I did not even think about Princess Benedikte. Marie is going to have alot on her plate.

I think Danes know Fred quiet well and so also his personality :lol: What is QMII supposed to do to shorten the training on the job?

Boy I hope not. I just love her. So regal. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
....but people are likely to get more critical, especially if Frederik will be lacking the strong personality his mother has.
But people are always critical about the new monarch; the new monarch will 'never be quite as good as XXX'. It was the same thing when Margrethe became queen. She was quite different from her father -not the jovial easy-going type he was. I remember my grandmothers saying that she was 'not like her father', meaning that she was lacking, but they were willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.
Frederik resembles his grandfather in many ways; he will meet with the same sceptisicm of not 'being like his mother'. But he will be himself and I'm almost willing to bet money that he will do well and that the same scenario will repeat itself once Frederik is followed by Christian.

Frederik may to some appear insecure, unwilling to be in the limelight. But perhaps we forget that Margrethe was insecure and often stilted when in the limelight when she was younger. She stuttered often and got flustered. She didn't come ready-packed as the self-assured queen we see today. She grew into it, and why shouldn't that happen for the next monarch as well?

i dont know, i didnt suggest such a thing in my post. i only said that training on the job is a difficult thing and gave prince charles as an example. the queen is still the queen and remains in charge therefore training on the job is technically impossible what is frustrating for the trainee (who is a grown man) as the years continue. you either are in charge or you are not, there is no such thing as a quasi-monarch.

i dont know, i didnt suggest such a thing in my post. i only said that training on the job is a difficult thing and gave prince charles as an example. the queen is still the queen and remains in charge therefore training on the job is technically impossible what is frustrating for the trainee (who is a grown man) as the years continue. you either are in charge or you are not, there is no such thing as a quasi-monarch.
I'm really not sure whether this 'waiting period' is as problematic to Frederik as it may be to Charles. Frederik probably (hopefully!) has a calmer and happier private life than Charles had (his first marriage). Frederik may for all we know be having what to him is the best of several worlds, a good private life with lots of kids, interesting work where he may still opt out on some of the ceremonial duties - and he's still the 'vice president of the firm'.

She didn't come ready-packed as the self-assured queen we see today. She grew into it, and why shouldn't that happen for the next monarch as well?

because these days - and i am not only talking about denmark - people dont see monarchy as a god given institution anymore with the right to remain forever. they want to see a benefit for what they give in return, not to forget that the media of the 21st century has become powerful and respectless. i doubt frederik will be given the same timeframe to perform or grow into it - decades - that the public was willing to give his mother.

because these days - and i am not only talking about denmark - people dont see monarchy as a god given institution anymore with the right to remain forever. they want to see a benefit for what they give in return, not to forget that the media of the 21st century has become powerful and respectless. i doubt frederik will be given the same timeframe to perform or grow into it - decades - that the public was willing to give his mother.

That was hardly the case in the early 70's either, when QMII took over.

The popularity ratings of the DRF were much lower back then and yet, they have gone up very considerably since then.
The transition I'm talking about, and which is far from unique, is as you point out yourself a good way for Frederik and Mary to get some real experience, to make mistakes, to gain experience the hard way and to evaluate and no doubt rethink their own approach. You can only get that sort of experience by being in the front yourself.
It also gives them a purpose of life, as you also pointed out. It is so much better to use them now, and in full, rather than letting them wait in some sort of limbo.

Unless Queen Margrethe die suddenly. M&F would inevitably have to take over at some point on her behalf. Simply because her health would deterioate or because she would simply no longer have the strenght due to her age.
Queen Margrethe as a strong character, no doubt about that. She is also very much aware of her responsibility towards the next generation.
Whatever can be said about QMII, few can accuse her of being selfish.
I believe and from how I understood the documentaries shown on TV not that long ago, she is already now allowing M&F to directly influence what is going on.

M&F will face very different problems than QMII, but I'm confident they can handle them. That Frederik was reluctant and doubtful about his future doesn't really trouble me that much. That at least shows that he face his future and his role with humillity. There might be more reason for concern if he was very confident about his future role.
It may be the insecurity and akwardness he sometimes display, that is the very reason why the Danes feel he will do fine. Why they feel they can relate to him.

Last edited:
That was hardly the case in the early 70's either, when QMII took over.

and that is so much a better way to gradually step aside and quide the
next one into the job.
In Britain the Queen has always kept Charles to the side and I believe if she would have done as Queen Margarethe is now doing, it would be much
easier for Charles and he would be much more accepted, if he was out and about with his mother.

i don't know, i think Charles is pretty much accepted as he is these days. he has certainly carved out his own identity, very much redeemed himself, with his interest in things that actually make a difference to our quality of life (eg. gmos, architecture, environment, his charities). I would say, "all's well that ends well", except that QEII is not yet at an end!!!

And he's 62 years old, what would he want to go about with his mother for?

same for Frederick, i imagine. He should carve out his own identity for what he wishes to be remembered for.

Last edited:
At least Frederik has been regent on many occasions and has been on hand to see how his mother works/operates. It will be a more natural and easier progression for him. Especially as he and his wife are well received by the people of Denmark. Poor old Charles has missed out on seeing the infamous red boxes and what to do about some of the sensitive information contained within. That is all that Charles has missed out on. Otherwise he is well versed on his mothers duties, and his only problem as I see it, will be his popularity with his subjects when he becomes king. The press are saying that the queens facebook page has received a lot of hate mail directed toward Camilla.

i don't know, i think Charles is pretty much accepted as he is these days. he has certainly carved out his own identity, very much redeemed himself, with his interest in things that actually make a difference to our quality of life (eg. gmos, architecture, environment, his charities). I would say, "all's well that ends well", except that QEII is not yet at an end!!!

And he's 62 years old, what would he want to go about with his mother for?

same for Frederick, i imagine. He should carve out his own identity for what he wishes to be remembered for.

Yes he has finally gained some acceptance as Prince of Wales, but for when
he becomes King well only time will tell.

The press are saying that the queens facebook page has received a lot of hate mail directed toward Camilla.

Queen Margrethe has done her son a very great service by incorporating him into the mix of constitutional business on what appears to be a very regular basis. Evidently, the Queen has looked at the bigger picture and understands how imperative it is that her heir is educated in the ways of kingship, firsthand. Now, Charles too undertakes various roles in his mothers shaddow, but in Denmark the heir takes on what appears to be a more active role in their position.

In Britain though, the heir has generally been considered to be an accentric time waster.

Infact, I'd suggest Charles to have been one of the only Prince of Wales who has really tried to pursue a meaningful purpose during this 'interim' existance. It can't have been easy.

Not to lose sight of the topic at hand, but I had a look at the Facebook profile for the British Monarchy and certainly, Camilla is recieving a real pasting.

Last edited:
Queen Margrethe has done her son a very great service by incorporating him into the mix of constitutional business on what appears to be a very regular basis. Evidently, the Queen has looked at the bigger picture and understands how imperative it is that her heir is educated in the ways of kingship, firsthand. Now, Charles too undertakes various roles in his mothers shaddow, but in Denmark the heir takes on what appears to be a more active role in their position.

In Britain though, the heir has generally been considered to be an accentric time waster.

Infact, I'd suggest Charles to have been one of the only Prince of Wales who has really tried to pursure a meaningful purpose during this 'interim' existance. It can't have been easy. "

And in Britain there has always been this so called war between the two
households or camps in comparison to Denmark, you do not hear of that. There has always seem to be such a cooperation.

As far as mentioning that the heir be out on some joint occasions with the reigning sovereign, you see that more in the European Royals, than in Britain.

next years wedding

In view of the announcement between William and Catherine Middleton and a wedding for next spring/summer. I thought I would speculate about the guests attending and the logistics, by saying with so many royal guests and heads of state descending on London for the big day; I wonder if the Danish Royal family and the Norwegians and Swedes would have their yachts at anchor in the Thames. Like they sometimes do when on official visits to Britian. But in this case it would free up much needed Palace bedroom space and Hotel space. Besides which, these families feel most comfortable on their yachts. The children could go with them for instance and stay on board. Assuming the Scandinavian royals will attend the several days of celebratory events pre wedding day.
As a Crown Prince couple I'm sure Mary and Fred would be invited.
Which brings up another point. As Mary will have her twins by then will there be room on board the yacht to accommodate the twins and Christian and Isabella.
Perhaps in the past Kings and Queens stay at either Buckingham palace or Windsor Castle. So perhaps the royal yacht will come in handy for the crown prince couple.
So my whole post is about speculation on where our favourite Danish royals will stay. And I'm excited that Mary will experience a big royal wedding. Victoria's was pretty big, but the British will go very big with this one, I expect.:)

In view of the announcement between William and Catherine Middleton and a wedding for next spring/summer. I thought I would speculate about the guests attending and the logistics, by saying with so many royal guests and heads of state descending on London for the big day; I wonder if the Danish Royal family and the Norwegians and Swedes would have their yachts at anchor in the Thames. Like they sometimes do when on official visits to Britian. But in this case it would free up much needed Palace bedroom space and Hotel space. Besides which, these families feel most comfortable on their yachts. The children could go with them for instance and stay on board. Assuming the Scandinavian royals will attend the several days of celebratory events pre wedding day.
As a Crown Prince couple I'm sure Mary and Fred would be invited.
Which brings up another point. As Mary will have her twins by then will there be room on board the yacht to accommodate the twins and Christian and Isabella.
Perhaps in the past Kings and Queens stay at either Buckingham palace or Windsor Castle. So perhaps the royal yacht will come in handy for the crown prince couple.
So my whole post is about speculation on where our favourite Danish royals will stay. And I'm excited that Mary will experience a big royal wedding. Victoria's was pretty big, but the British will go very big with this one, I expect.:)

Yes, Christian and Bella can share a staff cabin somewhere. But I don't think they will come. Two small children, plus a nanny and two Danish PET officers, perhaps a British as well, if they at some point leave the ship. In a city that on top of that is buzzing with activity. No, no need to bring that many for a event that will last a couple of days. The twins will most likely come along.

Your suggestion about staying onboard Dannebrog seems very plausible to me. I don't think Joachim and la Marie will go. For Harry's wedding, if and when he marries, yes, but not this one.

Dannebrog will be escorted by a warship if she sails to London. She usually is when she leaves Danish territorial waters. Partly because it's appropriate, partly for security reasons but also because the warship can double as a handy tender.
Additional staff can be accomodated onboard the warship. Like Mary and Margrethe's hairdressers and so on.
From a security point of view, it will also ease the job of British security, as British law, as I understand it, prevents foreign armed police officers from operating on British soil. Onboard Dannebrog the security of the DRF is mainly the responsibility of the Danish authorities.

Well, soon time to go home. Goodnight.

Nice way to steal Mary's twin thunder, Will and Kate ;)

Now that there is a big, much anticipated wedding to look forward to, the birth of twins seems so ordinary and mumsy in comparison...I am still anxious for the twins, but now have something else to preoccupy me...

Well...by the time the twins come next month...the engagement of Prince William and Catherine Middleton will be old news:lol::lol: But yes...the engagement is a nice diversion until the twins come! But Prince William's engagement was always going to be big news all over the world...let's not kid ourselves!:whistling: Mary's twins (her 3rd and 4th children) is important news in Denmark, Australia and on royal message boards! I'm sure that CP Mary is glad that while she waits out the rest of her pregnancy...the Danish media has Catherine Middleton to focus on!

Everyone loves a good news story and the birth of royal twins will still be special despite William and Kate. People can gobble up plenty of good news whether it is a birth or an up coming wedding. I feel excited for Mary as the twins will be an emotional and exciting time, and then six or so months down the track she will attend a really special event as only a grand British royal heir wedding can be. To be in a cathedral with so many royals and Heads of state and all those Arab leaders will be quite something. I know she has experienced many times this sort of thing but it has always been on a smaller scale. I bet the yacht crew will be delighted to have the twins on board if they chose to use the Dannebrog for the occasion.
We as spectators have much to look forward to with the birth of the twins and two royal weddings within about 7 months. It will be a nice change from the doom and gloom we face on the news most nights.

It's a new chapter for both families... William & Kate starting their lives together as a married couple and more children for the DRF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom