General News about Frederik, Mary and Family 6: July - October 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
..Even though Prince Frederik is a little late in growing his, as Haakon has had his for a while. All three are nearing middle age and are perhaps dealing with midlife in their own individual way.
IIRC this is not the first time Frederik is growing a beard. He had one in 2000 (Sirius Expedition) and I have a picture in my mind with Frederik(+beard), Joachim and a relatively new princess Alexandra ~1995-97. I don't think this has anything to do with midlife (crisis).

Love love love them with beard. I think Willem Alexander would be the only one who would not look as dashing with some beard on!

Translation of article at the website of: Danmarks Naturfredningsforening = something like The Danish Nature Conservation Association.
Interview med kronprins Frederik | Danmarks Naturfredningsforening

You can read about what kind of association it in English Here: DN english | Danmarks Naturfredningsforening

In the latest issue of their magazine, which is not online yet, Frederik is interviewed about how he took Christian with him on a hunt.

Crown Prince Frederik encourage the Danes to take their children with them out in the nature. He says in an interview in Natur & Miljø (the assciation mag) that he tries to pass on he delight for the nature to his children Prince Christian and Princess Isabella:

"It's my duty! Children do not know that the nature is out there unless we adults take them away from cartoons and games and show them what nature can be used for", says Crown Prince Frederik.
The Crown Prince says that he got to learn about the nature from his father, Prince Henrik:
"His influence has been very big, because he has an extensive knowledge about the nature - a knowledge that he shared with me".
To the Crown Prince being out in the nature with the children is something quite special. Through his children he rediscover the childish delight in exploring the nature:
"I get them to smell, listen and taste the nature and I think it's absolutely fantastic to see the joy in their faces when they hold a beetle or see a deer", says Crown Prince Frederik.
Common experiences in the nature creates a certain bond between parents and children, is the opinion of the Crown Prince. That's why Crown Prince Frederik also encourage other parents or grandparents to give children and grandchildren an experience in the nature.
"I know that time is short in many families with children. But still: Take the children out with you. It's good for both the children and for yourself".

And from Starlounge we have more details from the magazine interview:
Prins Christian med til at skyde en and | MSN Starlounge

Prince Christian will turn five in October, but he has already been on his first hunt with Crown Prince Frederik. And together they shot a duck.

"He has taken part in shooting a duck, which we plucked and roasted ourselves. It tasted heavenly", says Crown Prince Frederik.

Crown Prince Frederik took Christian with him to show him where the food comes from.

"My children will as so many other children rather have spaghetti bolognese, but I insist that they learn where the food come from and not least about the pleasure of food that taste of nature. That require that they go out", says Frederik.

------------

Now, I know this is a controversial subject.
I've never hunted myself, (except wild dogs but that wasn't in DK and they were considered vermin), but I know quite a few who do.
There are if I remember correctly about 70.000 registered hunters in DK.
That means that practically everybody know at least one who hunts. As such there is no opposition against hunting worth mentioning and certainly not outside the major two or three cities.
In fact the hunting associations work closely with the conservation associations, Dansk Naturfredningsforening being probably the most influential. Programmes about hunters and hunting are shown in every graphic detail on prime time TV. Just like the slaughter of animals on hobby farms are shown on prime time.
It's not an abstract phenomenon. However many children in the cities grow up without much knowledge of the nature. A knowledge that was common until about a generation ago, where practically everyone had relatives who were farmers somewhere.
But back to the point; while there is no opposition against hunting for the sake of culling a number of animals or remove sick animals. Many, including myself, are against hunting just for the pleasure of hunting.
I have no qualms what so ever about deers or foxes being hunted, if it serves a purpose but I cannot see any purpose in breeding say pheasants only to shoot them. Such people ought to hunt with a camera instead if they want a trophy.

It is on this background and based on the general perception of hunting in Denmark that this article ought to be viewed.

I know, I know, this is text stuff, but I hope some of you read this far.

wow,, that might be exciting! I guess they do not have the hard work of the moving, I presume everything had been moved for them! I would love to see their private quaters and her wardrobe of course!

Are they moving permanently from Fredensborg Palace to Amalienborg?

Frederick VIII's Palace will serve as the Crown Princely Family's official residence. Chancellory House shall remain as their private residence outside of Copenhagen. At least until Frederik succeeds his mother.

Didn't they also state, that it takes some more time to furnish the renovated palace as they won't take the furniture from Kancelihuset with them?

Didn't they also state, that it takes some more time to furnish the renovated palace as they won't take the furniture from Kancelihuset with them?

Correct.

Especially as they intend to use Kancellihuset for a part of the year.

It was pointed out somewhere in connection with the renovation of the CP palais that there were hardly any furnitures in store that they could use as furnitures in their new home.
When Queen Ingrid died, what she had of furnitures (worth keeping that is) were divided among those who inherited her.
And other furnitures are in use elsewhere, so they can hardly loot another palace. Especially as the furnitures in the other palaces belongs to the Regent Couple.

So M&F now have a busy job finding furnitures, not only for themselves but also for the new palace - and preferably in a way that suits the artwork as well as the palace itself.

The maintanaince of the palaces are funded by the state, but furnishing and day to day maintananince is at the expence of the DRF.
And M&F are actually not that well paid.

Their apanage may sound like a lot to most people, but that's until you take into consideration that it has to cover personal expences as well as salaries for their staff, staff accomodations and so on. Everything to run their little branch of the family company.

So M&F now have a busy job finding furnitures, not only for themselves but also for the new palace - and preferably in a way that suits the artwork as well as the palace itself.

Would you anticipate that a mix of modern and perhaps Louis XVI or Empire styled furniture shall be brought to furnish the Palace?

Would you anticipate that a mix of modern and perhaps Louis XVI or Empire styled furniture shall be brought to furnish the Palace?

Yes, something like that.

I haven't got much skills in that area, but I know some who would sign a contract to head the furnishing of the palais without hesitation and without reading the small print, should a horned gentleman suddenly appear and offer them the opportunity. ;)

What part of the year do they anticipate living at Kancelihuset? During the "school year?" Or will it serve as the weekend house, etc much as Fredensborg does for the Queen and Henrik? At some point, Christian will be going to Krebs, I would think, in Copenhagen. Is Krebs co-ed or will Isabella go somewhere else? IF so, where would she go?

Yes, something like that.

I haven't got much skills in that area, but I know some who would sign a contract to head the furnishing of the palais without hesitation and without reading the small print, should a horned gentleman suddenly appear and offer them the opportunity. ;)

One would imagine that the purchasing or at least, ordering of furniture, would have taken place well in advance of the family moving in?

Then again, perhaps making the apartment a home is a first priority. And quite understandably so.

I do hope that in time, and when it has been properly furnished, that photo's of the state rooms are made public.

It would be great to see how it all intergrates as an end result.

Madame Royale I'm sure all will agree that there is almost certain to be a judicious mix - I'm not sure that Empire is in keeping with the palace architecture, and the "Napoleon" message that accompanies the Second Empire (such as those gaudy stripes) might not mix well with Danish furniture. I'm sure that Mary is keen to incoporate modern Danish design. And, if they are going to be on a tight budget, they would probably be very happy to receive some contemporary furniture as a gift from a Danish design company. I'm sure they will purchase items that are environmentally sound - plantation timber, no timbers from endangered forests in South East Asia. They may take a shine to bamboo, such a lovely sustainable material and much used in Danish design these days. It's a shame that, with the 6 million kroner bill for wear and tear from the sightseeing tours, it's unlikely we will be invited to view the interiors, alas.

What part of the year do they anticipate living at Kancelihuset? During the "school year?" Or will it serve as the weekend house, etc much as Fredensborg does for the Queen and Henrik? At some point, Christian will be going to Krebs, I would think, in Copenhagen. Is Krebs co-ed or will Isabella go somewhere else? IF so, where would she go?

I guess they will follow the same pattern as the Regent Couple.
Move to Fredensborg in late spring/early summer and move back to Amalienborg in early autumn.
I imagine they will spend time at Trend, Marselisborg, Cayz and Gråsten during the six weeks of school summer holiday, Easter, Christmas, the one week Autumn vacation perhaps.
I think the one week of winter holiday will take place abroad.

Amalienborg will remain the "office" as this is where the staff will be located anyway. QMII pendle back and forth betweeen Fredensborg and Amalienborg all the time, so why not M&F?

I far as I remember reading/hearing, they do not plan to furnish the palais completely right now. That would be insanely expensive! :eek:
Instead they will gradually aquire more furnitures and change the style from a, shall we say, austere beginning, to a more cosy look some years into the future.

I far as I remember reading/hearing, they do not plan to furnish the palais completely right now. That would be insanely expensive!
Instead they will gradually aquire more furnitures and change the style from a, shall we say, austere beginning, to a more cosy look some years into the future.

Thanks.

It makes sense to acquire as they go, when one really thinks about it.

They met on the 16th September, day after it started.
Not quite a decade yet.

Have to say, and this is MOPO, I'm not loving some of the decor that they have chosen for the palace rooms. Some of the rooms look more like a museum/art gallery than a private residence. :sad:
But as I understand it, what we have seen are not their private rooms, but rooms to be used for official functions and as such it makes sense to use the rooms as a sort of art display. I suppose that is what has been done in palaces for centries - display of art (or wealth).
Personally, I love the contemporary update of these palace rooms. And rarely have choices made by the royal family got so much praise from Danish artists, architects, etc. as this new decor has.

Give or take a four days. It'll be a decade this week. Thks for the exact date Lumutqueen

But as I understand it, what we have seen are not their private rooms, but rooms to be used for official functions and as such it makes sense to use the rooms as a sort of art display. I suppose that is what has been done in palaces for centries - display of art (or wealth).
Personally, I love the contemporary update of these palace rooms. And rarely have choices made by the royal family got so much praise from Danish artists, architects, etc. as this new decor has.

You make some good points UserDane but.......I still think there is a place for this type of art, and I for one, would prefer to see it in it's appropriate forum. If I were ever lucky enough to be invited to this palace I would want to see it (the palace) in it's original beauty. Modern art is for a gallery, royal history is for ???? :flowers:
Of course artists, architects etc want to see their art being promoted in any forum at anyone's expense, as long as the price is right.

Some would suggest they have, with this contemporary interior, made it a part of royal history. Personally, I'd agree.

It really comes down to what we, as indaviduals, like. I'm really not fond of the colour of the walls in the main staircase. I find it a terrible colour and would have thought something light to have been perfect. But, it isn't my home or office.

I'd love to be a fly on the walls of that Palace when it's all furnished!!!

If I were ever lucky enough to be invited to this palace I would want to see it (the palace) in it's original beauty. .

I hope you will.
The palace/palais itself has been brought back to how it looked in the 1830's.

Up until recently the palace interior was 1930's and 50's style.
The palace has constantly been modified. It's dynamic, alive, a home.

Christian will probably put his personal touch on the palais he will reside in, presumably that of his grandparents, some time in the future. And who knows what style will be in 30 years from now?

Of course artists, architects etc want to see their art being promoted in any forum at anyone's expense, as long as the price is right.
Well, praise didn't come from those directly involved in the project; it was also from art revierwers from e.g. the serious newspapers. As Madame Royale says it is the continuation of a royal tradition of showcasing the best of what the country has to offer and as such their efforts have been applauded by the 'professionals'.
Of course we can discuss from now till doomsday what the best is, but still ;)

Well, praise didn't come from those directly involved in the project; it was also from art revierwers from e.g. the serious newspapers. As Madame Royale says it is the continuation of a royal tradition of showcasing the best of what the country has to offer and as such their efforts have been applauded by the 'professionals'.
Of course we can discuss from now till doomsday what the best is, but still ;)
Ah well, this is where we agree to disagree:ermm: I happen to think that 'what the country has to offer' has it's place and.....a royal palace is not that place. There are plenty of other public forums :flowers:

At the end of the day, whether we like them or not, it is the Crown Prince and Crown Princess who liked the art works and gave the consent to have them in their palace. They are the ones who will live and work in the palace for the rest of their lives...not us. In addition to that, weren't the art works painted on canvas and not on the palace walls? So the art works can be removed and are not permanent fixtures of the palace. Years down the road if the CP Couple desires, they can donate the art works to a museum.

well if the are not having a moving from the othr house and they have to get new furniture they will have as well to get everything else I mean from ta cups , plates and glasses to towels bed sheets, etc..... wow quite a lot but i am sure will not be a problem for them, sure danish royal porcelein will be glad to give them as a present many items!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom