The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

They do seem to live an extravagant lifestyle. I guess I would expect it of a cp couple. I think I'm a bit envious. Seeing as the economy here has taken a nose dive! Did Mary come into the marriage with her own money? She has very expensive tastes. Not that buying Prada would be a hard thing to get used to!

Old 07-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Courtier

Mary is the Crown Princess and future Queen of Denmark. She is expected to look and appear impeccable in her public role...which means looking and dressing the part. We 'royal watchers' would be the first to criticize if she didn't dress and act according to her position. Of course, you cannot compare her family background with CP Frederik's. While the Danish royals are not the wealthiest royals, they are not exactly dirt poor either. And show me a Crown Princess who does not have expensive clothes, acessories and jewels. All of them do!!!
As for them vacationing overseas, I'm sure that the ordinary Danes travel overseas for vacations as well...why not the CP Family?

Old 07-08-2009, 08:18 AM
Courtier

Actually Mary is wearing a lot of Danish designers and a lot of Hugo Boss, both not "very expensive".
Old 07-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
Mary is the Crown Princess and future Queen of Denmark. She is expected to look and appear impeccable in her public role...which means looking and dressing the part. We 'royal watchers' would be the first to criticize if she didn't dress and act according to her position. Of course, you cannot compare her family background with CP Frederik's. While the Danish royals are not the wealthiest royals, they are not exactly dirt poor either. And show me a Crown Princess who does not have expensive clothes, acessories and jewels. All of them do!!!
As for them vacationing overseas, I'm sure that the ordinary Danes travel overseas for vacations as well...why not the CP Family?
nobody mentioned anything on mary's appearance. 'rubies' comment was merely on mary's lifestyle (besides, i very much doubt that to look 'impeccable' you need to wear prada). there's princesses who, without indulging in expensive wear 'manage' to look polished and professional. i also think all the vacationing is a bit excessive. personally, i would prefer someone who keeps a low profile outside (and also during) official events.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 07-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Well, obviously M&F are both characters who like to live the celebrity lifestyle and the attention that goes with their status. Now people disagree on whether that's a good role model for a royal or not but the key point is that they get away with it at home.

Actually all royals live the luxury life off taxpayers' money - it's only that some have to be more low key or clock up countless events in order to justify their position, depending on how much settled the institution is at home. What I want to say is that M&F only do things openly that others either do behind closed doors or dream about doing if only the media at home would allow them. To pick up Ricarda's words, if there is no need for the Danish CPs to give a damn, why should they?
Old 07-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Of course she is expected too. I wasn't judging Mary, only noticing she has expensive taste as do I and I'm sure as do most of the members of the RF.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Royal Highness

I don't find this holiday venue more upsetting than pics from Blokhus near Skagen (where they have taken the kids a couple of times in later years), nor does it upset me to watch the Spanish royals holiday aboard their boats in sunny Spanish waters or the Swedish royals holidaying around the Sct Tropez area as they often seem to do or pics from the Dutch royals in Italy.
Half this country (DK) is going abroad this summer it seems (except poor me! of course...)
Old 07-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubies View Post
They do seem to live an extravagant lifestyle. I guess I would expect it of a cp couple. I think I'm a bit envious. Seeing as the economy here has taken a nose dive! Did Mary come into the marriage with her own money? She has very expensive tastes. Not that buying Prada would be a hard thing to get used to!
To answer your question about Mary's background:

Mary did not come from a wealthy family, nor was she independently wealthy. She didn't come from poverty either. Mary was middle-class before she met Frederik.

I'm not making any judgments, or remarks about her taste or their vacations. I'm just answering the question.

And yes, I could definitely get used to buying Prada
Old 07-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
nobody mentioned anything on mary's appearance. 'rubies' comment was merely on mary's lifestyle (besides, i very much doubt that to look 'impeccable' you need to wear prada). there's princesses who, without indulging in expensive wear 'manage' to look polished and professional. i also think all the vacationing is a bit excessive. personally, i would prefer someone who keeps a low profile outside (and also during) official events.
And I was making my own point (as everyone else here has been doing) and made no reference to 'rubies' comment on Mary's lifestyle. It just so happened that my post came after 'rubies'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
I don't find this holiday venue more upsetting than pics from Blokhus near Skagen (where they have taken the kids a couple of times in later years), nor does it upset me to watch the Spanish royals holiday aboard their boats in sunny Spanish waters or the Swedish royals holidaying around the Sct Tropez area as they often seem to do or pics from the Dutch royals in Italy.
Half this country (DK) is going abroad this summer it seems (except poor me! of course...)
Exactly! And correct me if I'm wrong, but were not the same Spanish royals (or Spanish King???)criticized for accepting a yacht from wealthy Spanish businessmen - the same yacht which they use during their summer holidays every year?
Old 07-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Sigh..... Let's be pleasant with one another please, and avoid yet another discussion on how the CO couples spends the money that they have, whilst comparing them to other royals. This is a thread about the current events for Frederik and Mary.

Thanks

Empress - Danish Moderator
Old 07-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Courtier

Yes moving on!!!!!! Since the CP Family are now in the South of France, it would be nice if they travel to Chateau de Cayx (Caix) which they have not visited in 2 years! It has been stated by Prince Henrik that the castle will be inherited by CP Frederik in the future!!
Old 07-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Heir Apparent

How far is the castle from St. Tropez?

Sporten.dk has an interview with professional tennis player Caroline Wozniacki. She talks about how she played a mixed-doubles match with Crown Prince Frederik at Fredensborg last summer. She tells the interviewer that CP Frederik is really athletic, and is quite good at tennis. She also states that they have many mutual friends.

Caro roser Kronprins Frederik - Sporten.dk - Danmarks Sportssite
Old 07-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Yes moving on!!!!!! Since the CP Family are now in the South of France, it would be nice if they travel to Chateau de Cayx (Caix) which they have not visited in 2 years! It has been stated by Prince Henrik that the castle will be inherited by CP Frederik in the future!!
wonder why not to share with his 2 sons? why just only fred?
Old 07-09-2009, 01:41 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
I think it's because the eldest son usually inherits the castle.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:12 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lise View Post
I think it's because the eldest son usually inherits the castle.
Perhaps Frederik woud let the castel go over to Joachim and his family when Henrik is not her any more...Frederik and Mary will have alot of castels for therie use when they become King and Queen of Denmark in the futur.

The only castel Joachim own is Schakenborg Castel and some farmes arounde the castel.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
I think perhaps it could be considered the Danish version of Balmoral. That it should be left to Frederik, says to me that it's likely to become a dynastic inheritance for all future monarchs (Christian, his heir and so on and so forth).

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 07-09-2009, 04:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.M. Margrethe View Post
Perhaps Frederik woud let the castel go over to Joachim and his family when Henrik is not her any more...Frederik and Mary will have alot of castels for therie use when they become King and Queen of Denmark in the futur.

The only castel Joachim own is Schakenborg Castel and some farmes arounde the castel.
What do you mean with "the only castle Joachim owns". Yes, Joachim owns a castle, Frederik doesn't.
The castles he uses and will use are state property (with the exception of Marselisborg). So, besides the "first-born" reason, this might be another reason for giving the chateau to Frederik. And Frederik might need a refugium when the monarchy in DK will be abolished.

Quote:
carlota
there's princesses who, without indulging in expensive wear 'manage' to look polished and professional.
There are? Could you name them please and tell me how much (or little) they spend?
I personally think it's great that Mary can make Danish designers and Hugo Boss (see my former post) look like expensive wear.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Well I think the luxurious life is just about spending the holidays in a Yate, becaus ebeeing in Sardenha is more or less afordable, depending on the Hotel you are satying!!! Of course they are leaving and expensive life but they can afford that, they are Royals and that's a part of their life, it has always been like that!
Old 07-09-2009, 04:33 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda View Post
I personally think it's great that Mary can make Danish designers and Hugo Boss (see my former post) look like expensive wear.
Someone with a well cared for figure and a beautiful face like CP Mary's can make Target brands look good. I only wish that I had her trim, taught and terrific figure. And anyway......... how do we know where she buys her clothes. As a dressmaker with many years of experience, I can make a pigs ear look like a silk purse Its just a matter of having the know how!!!!
Old 07-09-2009, 04:35 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Well, obviously M&F are both characters who like to live the celebrity lifestyle and the attention that goes with their status. Now people disagree on whether that's a good role model for a royal or not but the key point is that they get away with it at home.
I actually don't think they just "get away with it", I ever so often have the feeling the glamourous lifestyle (I prefer that term) is actually expected of them. In a small country like Denmark with very few (if any) celebrities Mary and Frederik are superstars/mediastars - whether they like it or not.

And the media doesn't seem to mind their lifestyle as long as they get their share of pictures to publish. I remember the criticism 2 years ago when they were in Croatia - very few pictures . This year a lot of pictures - and no critic in the media, just "sexy Mary" . (But perhaps I am too cynical.)