The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Secret meeting on Prince Christian schooling

This week, Crown Princess Mary met with the headmaster of a school in Fredensborg, where Prince Christian may have to go... -
Translated article from BB

Old 09-19-2009, 05:32 AM
Serene Highness

It's good to see how Mary and Frederik are involved in the education of their children! young royals are so much luckier than their parents who couldn't raise themselves their kids!

http://princessesblog76.blogspot.fr/
Old 09-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Heir Apparent

At what age do children typically start attending the Krebs Skole? It does make sense to keep Christian at a school closer to home for kindergarten, but it would also be lovely to see the family keep the tradition of attending Krebs Skole.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:01 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgl View Post
At what age do children typically start attending the Krebs Skole? It does make sense to keep Christian at a school closer to home for kindergarten, but it would also be lovely to see the family keep the tradition of attending Krebs Skole.
I think they start at the age of 6. I agree with you, i would love Christian to follow in his father and uncles footsteps. .
Old 09-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgl View Post
When Frederik and Mary travel to Vietnam for a state visit in November, Christian and Isabella will stay with their maternal grandparents, John Donaldson and Susan Moody, according to this article:
Billed-Bladet - Morfar skal passe Christian og Isabella

Will that be in Australia or in Denmark.??
Old 09-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Heir Apparent

The article doesn't say, but I think that Mary's father and step-mother are still living in Denmark. I could be wrong, though. I do remember reading that they might be going back to Australia to live. I don't know if that was something they were just discussing or were planning for the future. John Donaldson was teaching at a university in Denmark on a contract, and I don't know the length of the contract, or whether it was renewed if the time passed.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Courtier

If they were living in Denmark, wouldn't they have been invited to P Henrik's 75th birthday party, as Marie's parents were?
Old 09-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
I think they start at the age of 6. I agree with you, i would love Christian to follow in his father and uncles footsteps. .
It deppends if the childe is ready to go to the school in the age of 6...personly i think that ther is alot of small boyes who easly can wait to start in school when they are 7 years old..they are not all developed to start in school as 6 years olde.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Perhaps the new crop of royal princesses will have their children at home at night and send them to local schools. Contrary to how most of the princes were schooled in boarding schools, the new generation may stay closer to home.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

do they go to boarding schools at 6 years old? my goodness certenly I wouldn't like that for my daughter! may be this new crown princess as they were commonors before they want their kids closer to them and this would make a difference i belive in a possitive way to make them more humans and more close to the people so when they grow up tobe kings they might know better what the people neeed and be close to their own people
Old 09-19-2009, 04:24 PM
Royal Highness

Frederik and Joachim spent only one year at a boarding school in France and Queen Margarete spent one year at an English boarding school. But they all were in their teens when they went, at an age when a year away from home is a welcome change for most kids. The rest of their school year they stayed at home in Kopenhagen.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
do they go to boarding schools at 6 years old? my goodness certenly I wouldn't like that for my daughter! may be this new crown princess as they were commonors before they want their kids closer to them and this would make a difference i belive in a possitive way to make them more humans and more close to the people so when they grow up tobe kings they might know better what the people neeed and be close to their own people
Both Krebs and Zalhs school are not boarding schools...i think that the only boarding school from 1. graide and up to Hige School is Herlufholm Boarding school..after the ordeneary school from 1.-9. graide the studentes her in Denmark can take a year at efterskole/afterschool.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Frederik and Joachim attended École des Roches in Normandy when they were 14 and 16.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
Frederik and Joachim spent only one year at a boarding school in France and Queen Margarete spent one year at an English boarding school. But they all were in their teens when they went, at an age when a year away from home is a welcome change for most kids. The rest of their school year they stayed at home in Kopenhagen.
The Crown Prince attended elementary school at Krebs' Skole during the years 1974–1981, from 1974–1976 as a private pupil at Amalienborg Palace, and from the third form at Krebs' Skole. In the period 1982–1983, the Crown Prince was a boarder at École des Roches in Normandy, France. In 1986, Crown Prince Frederik graduated from the upper secondary school of Øregaard Gymnasium.

Prince Joachim attended school as a private pupil from 1974 until 1976 at Amalienborg Palace and then from 1976 until 1982 at Krebs' Skole in Copenhagen. In the period 1982–1983, the Prince was a boarder at École des Roches in Normandy, France. In 1986, Prince Joachim graduated from the Øregaard Gymnasium. In 1991–1993.

Queen Margrethe studied prehistoric archaeology at Girton College, Cambridge during 1960–61, political science at Aarhus University between 1961–1962, at the Sorbonne in 1963, and at the London School of Economics in 1965.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rylt11 View Post
If they were living in Denmark, wouldn't they have been invited to P Henrik's 75th birthday party, as Marie's parents were?
The Couple are currently living in Aarhus as John teaches at the University. He will begin teaching at the University of Copenhagen next year. Maybe they were out of the country at the time?

Old 09-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

sorry to ask Lumutqueen: but what do you mean as private students, like home schoolling?
Old 09-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post

The Couple are currently living in Aarhus as John teaches at the University. He will begin teaching at the University of Copenhagen next year. Maybe they were out of the country at the time?
Thank you, lumutqueen. I couldn't remember the name of the University where Mary's father was teaching. I thought that they were in the country during the time of Prince Henrik's birthday celebrations.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
sorry to ask Lumutqueen: but what do you mean as private students, like home schoolling?
Yes they what I meant, sorry I forgot to write that. They would have been taught languages possible and danish history.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:12 PM
Courtier

If they were in the country, I wonder why Mary's father and stepmother didn't go to P Henrik's birthday celebrations.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

thank you lumutqueen-----I knoww herei n the US it is a lot of kids they do homescholling but i know it is not very popular in europe and certenly not in argentina. I am sure Mary would like normal school, but i have to agree that with home schoolong it is more focus in some subjets and ma be this is what he needed a lot of sports people do homeschooling to have more time for practicing but i am not sure if it is so good or not jet.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:33 PM
Nobility

Mary's father and stepmother left Denmark around June 2008 there was an article in Billed Bladet at the time. They were in Australia last year when Mary and Frederik visited.
In February this year a further article in several newspapers in Denmark (Politiken is one and BB) stating that Mr Donaldson will be a guest teacher at Herlufsholm boarding college for two weeks in spring and then again in autumn.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Aristocracy

If the newspapers are reportingit, it really doesn't sound THAT secret...and M&F might have every intention of sending Christian to Krebs but just not now...He might start his schooling at Fredensborg which is familiar and with his Kindergarten friends and while they are living in Fredensborg...but when they move into the renovated and redecorated apartment in Amalienborg and Christian is a bit older and mature and his academic aptitude has been assessed then he will go to Krebs, maybe when he is 8-10 years old...

I think Fred and Mary are all for following traditions but just not rushing those traditions...Christian has plenty of time to attend private and formal schooling...I think they just want to ease him into it and keep him close because he will be grown up and gone (from M&F's control) before we know it...and Mary looks like the kind of mother who will shed a few tears as her son starts his own life journey at age 18 or something...