General News about Frederik, Mary and Family 2: February - November 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is understandable that Queen Elizabeth can not have the same opportunities to visit Australia as CP Mary has. That dosen't make her a lesser Queen. I for one hold her in high regard. As far as I can understand from reading the tread about the CP Couples visit to Australia the Australien media have made a lot of fuss about it, which I think is only natural as CP Mary used to be an Austrailan commoner.

If Prince William went to visit Denmark my guess is that the Danish media would follow every step he took - and let us pretend he got himself a Danish girlfriend (a commoner) and later on married her - then my guess is that the Danish media would get overwhelmingly exhilarsted whenever she went to visit her Danish family...............:rolleyes:

Some would disagree with you Lilla, that it doesn't make her a lesser Queen of Australia.

The Queen's last visit was in March of 2006 when she came to Canberra and then onto to Melbourne for the Commonwealth Games. Charles's last visit was in 2005, not all that long before he wed Camilla I believe (it was quite a short visit if I recall rightly and I think Mary and Frederik where here at the same time..don't quote me on it).

the distance between the UK and Australia

One of the hassles of being a foreign monarch...;)

The British royals would certainly still get attention, more because they are members of the worlds most publicized family.

Mary gets attention because she's walked among as and has lived as one of us.

Some would disagree with you Lilla, that it doesn't make her a lesser Queen of Australia.

You are right Madame Royale, and I can certainly not speak on behalf of any Australian. I can only speak on behalf of myselfe and I do hold QEII in high regard;).

Mary gets attention because she's walked among as and has lived as one of us.

Yes, and for me, a Dane, she is the reason why Australia has become a nation very close to my heart.

Do you think Mary and Frederik will still travel to Thailand in November given the country's recent political crisis? I know it is only a 2 day trip, but is it worth it?

The Queen's last visit was in March of 2006 when she came to Canberra and then onto to Melbourne for the Commonwealth Games. Charles's last visit was in 2005, not all that long before he wed Camilla I believe (it was quite a short visit if I recall rightly and I think Mary and Frederik where here at the same time..don't quote me on it).

You're right, they were in Australia at the same time, I remember watching a youtube clip where someone had put up some news reports and they commented on the attention (& appeal I think) of Mary vs. Charles.

Sorry I cant post a link, because I'm down to dial up (used up broadband allowance already) but it was called something like "Mary's Australian Visit" and there were a good 3 or 4 clips.

You are right Madame Royale, and I can certainly not speak on behalf of any Australian. I can only speak on behalf of myselfe and I do hold QEII in high regard;).

Oh of course. I entirely understand that it was your opinion, and one I happen to share myself...:)

Yes, and for me, a Dane, she is the reason why Australia has become a nation very close to my heart.

Now that's a truly lovely thing to say. I think there are many Australian's who think very favourably of Denmark, too. All you have to do is look at how many of us have since started to visit your quaint and noble kingdom...:flowers:

Hello, could please some Danish member translate. Are both articles the same history?
Thanks in advance

Du skal afgøre ligestilling i kongehuset

Folkeafstemning om tronfølgerloven - Politik

Hi Paty :flowers: - yes it is the same subject - the succession to the throne. A permanent change in the law of succession requires a change to the constitution - which is a long and rather bothersome process (the process is discussed at the SRMB The Scandinavian Royals Message Board). There has been very few changes to the Danish constitution because of the complicated process - the last one being in 1953 when then Princess Margrethe was allowed to succeed her father.

A change requires approval by two consecutive parliaments (of which the first has been given) and a national referendum where 2/3 of all eligible voters have to say 'yes' - this means that if you do not show up at the polls, your non-vote counts as a no vote. Now the goverment has decided that when we are to go to the polls on 7th June to vote for the European Parliament, we are going to vote whether we want gender-independent succession rights as well.

I think there is no doubt that the vast majority wants equal succession rights - the dangerous thing is to attach it to an EU vote which always has poor voter participation compared to national elections. In this way the non-voters may carry the day.

Anders Fogh Rasmussen, the Prime Minister, wants this vote to be a vote on the principle of equal succession and not let it depend on a person. Since we know that Christian will once succeed his dad, some politicians wants this lengthy procedure done with in good time before Christian has children of his own.

I thought that the Danish constitution already has equal succesion right, as Queen Marghrette is succes to his father.

Also I think it´s very unfair that the non-voters counts as No vote, why? They must count as no-voter
I agrree with you, also in Spain the Europeans ellections has always very poor voters.

I thought that the Danish constitution already has equal succesion right, as Queen Marghrette is succes to his father.

Also I think it´s very unfair that the non-voters counts as No vote, why? They must count as no-voter
I agrree with you, also in Spain the Europeans ellections has always very poor voters.

No, the addition to the constitution in 1953 allowed Margrethe to succeed to the throne only if she had no brothers - which she hadn't. The present system still favours a younger brother over an elder sister.

With regard to the non-voters I suppose it is because it is stipulated that changes to the constitution must be approved by 2/3 of all Danes entitled to vote. By this logic everyone who does not vote yes (or just does not show up at the polls), votes no.

I wonder what they will do to encourage more voters to appear at the polls for this election.

In Holland people who don't vote, vote "blanco". Strange that they count your "non vote" as a no in Denmark. Not really democratic if you ask me. If I bothered to vote "no" I would have made a trip to the polling station, wouldn't you?

In Holland people who don't vote, vote "blanco".

Same thing in Spain. Not very democratic.

No, the addition to the constitution in 1953 allowed Margrethe to succeed to the throne only if she had no brothers - which she hadn't. The present system still favours a younger brother over an elder sister.

With regard to the non-voters I suppose it is because it is stipulated that changes to the constitution must be approved by 2/3 of all Danes entitled to vote. By this logic everyone who does not vote yes (or just does not show up at the polls), votes no.

I wonder what they will do to encourage more voters to appear at the polls for this election.

Oh, yes...I forgot that they are only three sisters.:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
In Holland people who don't vote, vote "blanco". Strange that they count your "non vote" as a no in Denmark. Not really democratic if you ask me. If I bothered to vote "no" I would have made a trip to the polling station, wouldn't you?

Also, if the vote is about a change to the constitution?

A non-vote in an 'ordinary' election does not count as a no vote. But - as already stated - in this particular instance of taking a vote on a constitutional change it does.

Wow! That is very strict. What do they do for elderly people, or people who are travelling and unable to get to the polls?

Wow! That is very strict. What do they do for elderly people, or people who are travelling and unable to get to the polls?

They can vote by post. Futhermore if a person is severely disabled, socialworkers can provide whatever assistance/aid is needed for this person to be able to exercise his/her democratic right to vote.

Thank you for the answer, Lilla. I was wondering how and if accommodations were made.

I wonder what their interpretation of "important" is.

Unfortunately there was no reason or explanation given on their site. You have to buy the magazine. Does anyone know more about that article?

What does that mean, exactly? :blush:
When it comes to gentlemenness Fred isn't the first man on earth that comes into my mind. If you're his wife/girlfriend don't expect too much...Well he never had to work on that , there never was a problem of getting a new girlfriend, the girls were there anyway...

When it comes to gentlemenness Fred isn't the first man on earth that comes into my mind. If you're his wife/girlfriend don't expect too much...Well he never had to work on that , there never was a problem of getting a new girlfriend, the girls were there anyway...

That's a rather definitive statement to make considering you are most likely making your judgment based on photos and no real life experience. Would you care to share a photo of yourself, and we can judge you based on what our imaginations could dream up and your activities and comments on this board?

Aren't most statements here based on what is seen on photos? Please correct me if I am wrong.:flowers:

I as have others on these forums seem quite some video-coverage of the interaction of Fred and Mary and so far, my impression was that he is a very compassionate man who has no problems showing his emotions to his wife and children. Maybe there are other, more gentle men that you know so he is not your prime example bot for me he appears to be a very pleasant husband and father. :flowers:

IMO if you compare Fred with his brother there is obviously much more gentlemenlikeness in Joachim than in Fred. The latest example: please watch the video of the arrival at the parliament If my husband would rush away without waiting for me like that I would be very offended. That wasn't nice at all. Well , maybe they had an argument before but I rather think that is normal "Fred behaviour"....

Unfortunately there was no reason or explanation given on their site. You have to buy the magazine. Does anyone know more about that article?

LOL

Nonetheless Bunte is one of the more "reliable" part of the yellow press in Germany so.....

The criterias?

Glamour?
Familylife?
Work?
People (opinion)?
State?

Don't forget the yellow press is just the yellow press. Nonetheless Mary "won" this. Number one was Mary, then Maxima, Victoria, Letizia, Mathilde, Mette-Maritt? I'm not really sure about the order.

IMO if you compare Fred with his brother there is obviously much more gentlemenlikeness in Joachim than in Fred. The latest example: please watch the video of the arrival at the parliament If my husband would rush away without waiting for me like that I would be very offended. That wasn't nice at all. Well , maybe they had an argument before but I rather think that is normal "Fred behaviour"....

Well....

thing is the puplic pictures! Nonetheless at least I have not forgotten the result!

Joachim is divorced, only time will tell if Frederik is able to hold on to his marriage. Till now I've waiting on reliable reports that Frederiks marriage is in danger. Judging by the pictures of the parliaments openings nothing has to be feared!

My guess is that they selected her based on her charity work, popularity (in Denmark and abroad), and glamour. It would be nice if they stated their criteria.

I've yet to see any footage or photos of Fred acting rudely or ungentlemanly toward Mary or any other woman. Yes, he did walk away from her during this year's parliament opening. However, this is the first time that I have seen this. We don't know if they were arguing before, or if he needed to use the toilet (and thus needed a hasty exit from the car), or if he needed to speak with someone outside of the car immediately upon his arrival. I will wait to see more footage before I am convinced that he is a jerk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom