General News about Frederik, Mary and Family 2: February - November 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
today/tonight (a fairly tacky current affairs show in australia) was tonight advertising a section on tomorrow nights show about M & F . specifically that she is boring and he is lazy... (said something about a 42 week holiday??) ....

Interesting. I wonder where they claim to get their information. I hope that you will watch it and tell us what they said. It sounds like one of those shows that makes up stories in order to get viewers.

Interesting. I wonder where they claim to get their information. I hope that you will watch it and tell us what they said. It sounds like one of those shows that makes up stories in order to get viewers.

I will bet - their source is Trine Villemann.....................I guess she is busy promoting her book Down Under:whistling:

Frederik wants to go visiting the danish troops in Afghanistan. The public servants in the State Ministery has got a lot of reasons for why he should not do so. The Danish armed forces supports him. Personally I would like him to go.

Anyway, IMO Frederik going to Afghanistan is a lot more serious business then - what coat Mary wore - man or female - at a night in town.

Good point! I totally agree. I do not see why Fred cannot go to Afghanistan. Many US politicians have visited Iraq, tho I admit I'm not sure if they have done so for Afghanistan (but I think someone has), so with the right amount of security and proper planning, I see no reason why Fred cannot go to Afghanistan. I am sure he is like Harry and wants to be with his troops and momentarily forget he is a Prince.

I wish the Danish and International media would make up their minds. First, Fredrik would like to be deployed with his troops, failing that, at least visit them.

Secondly, Fredrik seems to be an excellent sailor, enough so that he can represent his country, which is no small thing.

My questions are:

If the Britsh Prime Minister and the President of the US can visit their troops in the front line, why can't Fredrik? And:

In leiu of serving overseas Fredrik has carved out a poition sailing for his country. That being the case, why is he being called lazy all the time?

I wonder what difference Fredrik visiting the troops in any part of the world is going to make???? Are they suddenly going to be inspired by his presence? Are they going to give any more than they already do because a Crown Prince dropped by?? Are they going to feel that what they are doing is any more worthwhile because the CP of their country told them that it is????
:ermm: I don't know. I wouldn't. I would probably be a little miffed that he gets to go home to his wife and family at the end of the tour while I get to stay in a war zone fighting for something that probably should have been resolved years ago.
I also think that given the fact that Christian is still to young to take over the role of King, (should anything happen to the current Queen:ohmy:) sending Fredrik to a war zone would be an unnecessary risk. JMO

It's about showing respect and recognition. I think it's the DRF's duty to go and learn about the life and conditions of the danish troops serving abroad. People are risking their lifes for their country after all. I don't say that QM as Head of State has to go but it wouldn't harm either. CP Frederik would be a good delegate and the sooner he goes the better, not for PR reasons but because I have no doubt that he's honestly interested in the service personnells' issues. I even think if he was second born and Joachim was the heir, Frederik might have decided for a career in the army, similar to Prince Harry.

I totally agree. Someone who has never served in the military would never understand the morale boost the troops receive when somone special to them makes the effort to be there for them.

I think Fredrik is a good man who really wants to personally connect with his country's units serving oversea's. Instead they seem intent on turning him into a wind-up toy soldier under a glass dome, dusting off his uniform for "Ceremonial PR" and then sticking him firmly back on the shelf. It does not seem to sit well with him, nor should it.

The amount of negative PR his "lack of purpose" is generating should be setting off alarm bell throughout Denmark. But let's face it. There are just so many darn ribbons to be cut that they just can't spare him for anything remotely useful!

It reminds me of the early days of the POW, the Queen being too young for him to be remotely useful to his county in the forseeable future. Charles went organic before it was trendy. Fredrik sails . . . competitively.

Someone who has never served in the military would never understand the morale boost the troops receive when somone special to them makes the effort to be there for them.

I actually served for many years in the RAAF as a transport driver and on many occasions had to spruce up the base and spit polish the cars for days before a dignitaries arrival. It was a major pain in the neck when most of the time they would get into the car for a five minute journey, sit in the officers mess for the rest of the day and then clear off back to where it was they came from. It certainly did nothing to boost my morale.
I will admit though a huge amount of pride when I drove the diggers around on Anzac Day. They certainly appreciated all the trouble we went to for them and thanked us many times. :flowers:

Sorry, I was not clear. I meant "making the effort to be there for them" in the theatre in which they were deployed. Most such places were lucky to have any sort of club or bar let alone an Officers Mess although I remember the ANZAC's having a Surf Club in the Sinai. :ROFLMAO:

today/tonight (a fairly tacky current affairs show in australia) was tonight advertising a section on tomorrow nights show about M & F . specifically that she is boring and he is lazy... (said something about a 42 week holiday??) ....

I saw it. The show compared Fred's 72 engagement last year with Prince Charles' 370 ... which on the face of it is fair enough criticism. Is Frederik not able for some reason to fulfil more obligations? Or is he working hard every day that he doesn't have an engagement or a sailing duty, studying at affairs of state in readiness for the throne? The item was mainly critical of the DRF rather than Mary.

I saw it. The show compared Fred's 72 engagement last year with Prince Charles' 370 ... which on the face of it is fair enough criticism........
Is it though? The UK has a population of roughly 12 times that of Denmark so obviously there are always going to be a big differences in the amount of engagements carried out. I suppose to get a fair comparison you would have to compare two countries similar in size and population to see if Frederik is pulling his weight but 72 doesn't seem like a whole lot. I wonder how it holds up against the number carried out by other members of the Royal Family?

The item was mainly critical of the DRF rather than Mary
I find this really funny. I know Mary was Australian but is the general public in Australia really interested enough in the Danish Royal Family to care about the amount of public engagements they carry out or if they doing a good job etc.

I find this really funny. I know Mary was Australian but is the general public in Australia really interested enough in the Danish Royal Family to care about the amount of public engagements they carry out or if they doing a good job etc.

You are right Amelia, I think that most of Australia probably doesn't know or care about issues (Danish community excepted of course) pertaining to the DRF. The media however, love to jump on the pessimistic bandwagon when ever they are given the chance just to up the TV show ratings or sell their tacky magazines. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:

I do find this very amusing as well:ROFLMAO:. But well, it is nice to know that a broadcasting-company on the other side of the earth shows such an interest in the working-schedule of the DRF. Especially as it has never been a topic for any of the danish broadcasting-companyes and probably never will be.

Revolutions has to start somewhere. The danish revolution in order to overthrow the monarchy seems to be started right now - in Austraila:whistling:

Is it though? The UK has a population of roughly 12 times that of Denmark so obviously there are always going to be a big differences in the amount of engagements carried out. I suppose to get a fair comparison you would have to compare two countries similar in size and population to see if Frederik is pulling his weight but 72 doesn't seem like a whole lot. I wonder how it holds up against the number carried out by other members of the Royal Family?
I believe that you are correct the comparison between P Charles & P Fredreik is wrong -- Charles is MUCH older and bitting at the bit to be more "King-like" in a very world limelight country. Fred still has a young family and a mother that hasn't given him more tasks yet. [cannot do anything without her approval] Remember when Charles was Fred's age -- rather a disappointment to the general British public.

I believe that a better comparison for Fred would be CP Philippe of Belgium. How many official engagements did Philippe do for his country? But all that aside, to compare one against the other like that is really childish and the program wouldn't have been worth much and just aired to "stir the pot" a bit.

I think Princess Mary is strongly defined as "Australian" in our media, because:

a) she is, sort of
b) she was born here and is increasingly being referred to as "Australia-born, Danish princess...

But for me personally I think the more years that she has this life of hers in Denamrk, the further she will fade from the Aussie consciousness, which is as it should be...And at times I struggle to remember that she was Australian at all...She is a Dane now and a royal Dane at that...I think ahead to the future and her coronation as Queen of Denmark, some 20+ years down the track and I'll be chinwagging with my blue rinse friends, saying "You know she was born in Tassie?"...Noooo!! You're kidding!!!???

I too think of Mary as a Dane, because she is one. I also think of her as the former Australian, which she shall always remain.

It's a "tag" she'll be unable to rid herself of, not that she should wish too of course. Being an Australian was I'm sure, a major part of who she was and who she still is to this day I'd imagine.

But she'll always be referred to in the media as the 'Australian born' Crown Princess, and when their time beckons, the Australian born Queen. Because, that is what she is and shall be.

I too think of Mary as a Dane, because she is one. I also think of her as the former Australian, which she shall always remain.

It's a "tag" she'll be unable to rid herself of, not that she should wish too of course. Being an Australian was I'm sure, a major part of who she was and who she still is to this day I'd imagine.

But she'll always be referred to in the media as the 'Australian born' Crown Princess, and when their time beckons, the Australian born Queen. Because, that is what she is and shall be.
Yes, you are correct. Maxima said it quite nicely once -- she stated that she is "Dutch who just happened to be born in Argentina". Really a good and proper way to embrace her new life. I'm sure that Mary has the same mind set.

NOt really - the number of engagement requests coming in would be similar. All the same issues - welfare, charities, health - still have to be covered in both countries. Basically, if Phillip and Charles can manage more than an engagement a day, seven days a week, on average, Frederik could manage more than one and a half a week! Weren't the nannies engaged exactly so that Fred could carry out his royal duties? They should be part-time if he is working part-time ... and if we accept your logic, Fred & Mary and the other royals should be occupying housing that is one-twelfth as big or prestigious as, say, Prince Charles's house ... and Mary should have one-twelfth the wardrobe allowance ... :rolleyes:

NOt really - the number of engagement requests coming in would be similar. All the same issues - welfare, charities, health - still have to be covered in both countries. Basically, if Phillip and Charles can manage more than an engagement a day, seven days a week, on average, Frederik could manage more than one and a half a week! Weren't the nannies engaged exactly so that Fred could carry out his royal duties? They should be part-time if he is working part-time ... and if we accept your logic, Fred & Mary and the other royals should be occupying housing that is one-twelfth as big or prestigious as, say, Prince Charles's house ... and Mary should have one-twelfth the wardrobe allowance ... :rolleyes:
Yes really. There is obviously going to be a greater number of duties in a country with over 60 million people to that of one with just over 5 million. Just like the Prime Ministers in both countries have very volumes of work to do. As for Frederik's allowance, I'm not totally sure but if I'm not mistaken it is even less than a twelfth of what Prince Charles has from the Duchy of Cornwall, which makes sense really - smaller country, smaller amount of engagements and smaller amount of money.

I'm not saying that I think that 72 engagement is ok, far it actually but that is for the Danes to take up with Frederik. I just think that comparing two countries with such a great difference in population size isn't a fair comparison.

A nice read. Never came to mind that Frederik is the better one in the kitchen :lol:

Princess Mary is no queen in the kitchen

Speaking about his courtship with Princess Mary, Prince Frederik has told how the two got to know each other by going on short trips around Australia... - Full Article

^^ is that insinuating that Fred is a drunk or something? I guess I don't have a good translator, because it makes no sense to me...

Last edited:
Whoaaa, Mary has been busy lately, she is supposed to have "something" with Joachim and now this man!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

^^ You mean Joachim who cried when he saw his bride coming down the isle?? That man is not having an affair any time soon! And anyone that see's Fred and Mary can see that they're in love! She's the real-life cinderella! Was this one of those German weekly's that admit that their articles "have elements of fantasy"?? :bang:

Please don't take my post seriously, it's ment to be a joke, hence the :ROFLMAO:!!

I know! :ROFLMAO: It's completey ridiculous! But was that in one of those German "fantasy" mags?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom