The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #161  
Old 05-10-2013, 09:14 PM
QueenJen's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Charlottesville, United States
Posts: 141
I think it's interesting the children are wearing helmets, but not CP Mary. She should be wearing one as well!
__________________

__________________
  #162  
Old 05-10-2013, 09:31 PM
Cinderella5x's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Huntington Beach, United States
Posts: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roskilde View Post
Bella's facial expression in that picture is priceless! Something like... Come on dear photographer, you delaying my mom and siblings and they are slow enough already..




Yes, and IMO Mary seems to handle these situations very well (better than, for example, Frederik who faster becomes irritated) She seems to understands their game. If I remember correctly, I mean that Mary once pointed out in an interview that paparazzis can be really frustrating, but that it often pays to quickly stop up, give them a smile and so move on. IIRC she said something like.. you know, it only takes you a few seconds and then they will most probably leave you alone.
Sounds like a great attitude to have. I think it's very smart of Mary to think and act this way. I am sure it pays off.
__________________

__________________
NOTHING IS FORGOTTEN... NOTHING IS EVER FORGOTTEN...
But what is truth? Not easy to define. We both have truths, are yours the same as mine?
YOUR DAILY CLICK HELPS ANIMALS SURVIVE! Feed an animal in need, click for free: http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
  #163  
Old 05-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Frelinghighness's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New England, United States
Posts: 2,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenJen View Post
I think it's interesting the children are wearing helmets, but not CP Mary. She should be wearing one as well!
I agree Mary should be wearing a helmet as well. Very poor modeling behavior.
__________________
  #164  
Old 05-11-2013, 05:17 AM
Roskilde's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Roskilde, Denmark
Posts: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenJen View Post
I think it's interesting the children are wearing helmets, but not CP Mary. She should be wearing one as well!
I dare to say that it's how it works by the largest part of Danish parents. I totally agree that it is a good example that the parents also using helmets, but in Denmark it is almost classical to see that the children are always using helmets, but that the parents bicycles without. To be frankly, it's the same at my house

But at least the Crown Prince couple always use helmets to their children unlike others in the Danish royal family! The adults have a choice, but children must always wear helmets IMO.
__________________
  #165  
Old 05-11-2013, 12:52 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Greater London, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairy tale View Post
Thank you! That's a cute photo, it looks like they had a nice day out.
__________________
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
  #166  
Old 05-11-2013, 01:14 PM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roskilde View Post
I dare to say that it's how it works by the largest part of Danish parents. I totally agree that it is a good example that the parents also using helmets, but in Denmark it is almost classical to see that the children are always using helmets, but that the parents bicycles without. To be frankly, it's the same at my house

But at least the Crown Prince couple always use helmets to their children unlike others in the Danish royal family! The adults have a choice, but children must always wear helmets IMO.
I agree, I think its because the parent generation grew up riding a bike without a helmet. I am Mary's age and I've never worn a helmet in my life and I never considered starting to wear one. Same with my friends & family. When you grow up with something it seems natural but my or Mary's generation probably consider this one health & safety (the term 'h&S' wasnt even known when we grew up) commitment too many. Back then it was about getting on with things, use common sense and not worry too much about what could happen. Life is not without risk, with or without helmet. Adults can decide for themselves whether to take them or not.
__________________
  #167  
Old 05-11-2013, 09:08 PM
FasterB's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,083
I´m fairly the same age as CPss Mary and I wear helmet, when I´m bikeriding.
But it´s becuase of my nephew, who looked at me from head to toe and asked: "Auntie, don´t you love me? I love you and I would you to be there when I grow up."
After that I started wearing helmet and a danish designed helmet that you can customise: YAKKAY
__________________
Where charity and love are, God is there.
  #168  
Old 05-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Frelinghighness's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New England, United States
Posts: 2,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I agree, I think its because the parent generation grew up riding a bike without a helmet. I am Mary's age and I've never worn a helmet in my life and I never considered starting to wear one. Same with my friends & family. When you grow up with something it seems natural but my or Mary's generation probably consider this one health & safety (the term 'h&S' wasnt even known when we grew up) commitment too many. Back then it was about getting on with things, use common sense and not worry too much about what could happen. Life is not without risk, with or without helmet. Adults can decide for themselves whether to take them or not.
Adults can decide but I know 2 adult bike riders who would be dead now without helmets.
I grew up not wearing seat belts, helmets for skiing or bike riding. That has nothing to to with what I do now. People also smoked in cars and airplanes when I grew up.
I find it shocking that Mary and Fred do not wear helmets while bike riding. I am sure she wears one when horse back riding.
__________________
  #169  
Old 05-11-2013, 10:51 PM
GracieGiraffe's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Giraffe Land, United States
Posts: 1,537
They are certainly lucky that they can do normal things like bicycle around Copenhagen with only a few minutes of press intrusion.
__________________
The future George VII's opinion on infant carriers,
"One is not amused."
  #170  
Old 05-12-2013, 01:28 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
Adults can decide but I know 2 adult bike riders who would be dead now without helmets.
I grew up not wearing seat belts, helmets for skiing or bike riding. That has nothing to to with what I do now. People also smoked in cars and airplanes when I grew up.
I find it shocking that Mary and Fred do not wear helmets while bike riding. I am sure she wears one when horse back riding.
Still, it's the individuals freedom. Wearing seatbelts or smoking etc is now regulated by law. If I have to wear a helmet because of law when riding a bike, I'll do it. There is a difference between riding a bike when going on a bike tour or the condition of the street where people are riding (bumpy, heavy traffic etc) whrere a helmet becomes a necessity and people would naturally wear a helmet - or the odd ride out, where you consider yourself safe and don't mind the risk (obviously in Mary's case).

If H&S continues to go on like in the last decade or so, I am pretty sure even pedestrians will have to wear helmets in future decades when being out and about on the street (I am not being cynical). If electric cars will be all over the streets - they are extremely quiet - we will know lots of pedestrians who would be dead if they had not worn a helmet.

Back to Mary, horseriding is one of the things where helmets come naturally, riders have already worn helmets 50 years ago.
__________________
  #171  
Old 05-12-2013, 02:32 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: xxx, Finland
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
There is a difference between riding a bike when going on a bike tour or the condition of the street where people are riding (bumpy, heavy traffic etc) whrere a helmet becomes a necessity and people would naturally wear a helmet - or the odd ride out, where you consider yourself safe and don't mind the risk
Yes, there are photos of Frederik out biking with a friend a few weeks ago, wearing a helmet and the speed was obviously very much faster than this little outing Mary and the kids were on.
__________________
  #172  
Old 05-12-2013, 08:14 AM
Archduchess Zelia's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,945
One should also consider that Nihola bikes are more stabile than normal two-wheeled bikes. I agree that it's pretty common for adults not to wear helmets when riding bikes here, I haven't worn one myself since I was a little kid.
__________________
"In spite of the many initiatives our society offers to help and support, recovery can be such a monumental task that some give up.
They withdraw into themselves. Not least during Christmas and New Year is it hard to feel left out. Tonight my thoughts are with them."

— Queen Margrethe II of Denmark directly addressing people suffering from depression and loneliness in her 2011 New Years address.

  #173  
Old 05-14-2013, 09:32 AM
Roskilde's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Roskilde, Denmark
Posts: 1,437
B.T. celebrates Frederik's and Mary's wedding anniversary today with a nice and large gallery "Nine years of love"
Ni års kærlighed: Mary og Frederik fejrer bryllupsdag | www.bt.dk

And Billedbladet with an article
Kronprinsparret fejrer bryllupsdag

And also a vídeo of their wedding waltz Video: Gense Mary og Frederiks brudevals
__________________
  #174  
Old 05-14-2013, 10:05 AM
dbarn67's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: BROOKLYN, United States
Posts: 3,601
This along with Victoria & Daniel's is such a lovely wedding waltz. It's one of
my favorite moments for their wedding. I wish we could see the wedding waltz
from other royal couples.
__________________
  #175  
Old 05-15-2013, 02:23 PM
MaggieDenmark's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Trekroner, Denmark
Posts: 495
a friend of mine almost ran into mary today :-) she was on her bike and cycled among all other copenhageners. maybe on her way to pick up vincent&josephine from nursery? :-) i really really like our down to earth crown prince couple. you can at any time run into them on the street like was it you or me, or any other dane :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0000.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	289019  
__________________
  #176  
Old 05-15-2013, 04:03 PM
dazzling's Avatar
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: -, France
Posts: 18,331
Thank you for sharing the picture. Is it me or does the white fluffy thing look like a dog in the basket of Mary's bike? Maybe a new dog.
  #177  
Old 05-15-2013, 04:16 PM
dbarn67's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: BROOKLYN, United States
Posts: 3,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
Thank you for sharing the picture. Is it me or does the white fluffy thing look like a dog in the basket of Mary's bike? Maybe a new dog.
I thought it was dog as well.
__________________
  #178  
Old 05-15-2013, 04:24 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: san diego, United States
Posts: 1,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieDenmark View Post
a friend of mine almost ran into mary today :-) she was on her bike and cycled among all other copenhageners. maybe on her way to pick up vincent&josephine from nursery? :-) i really really like our down to earth crown prince couple. you can at any time run into them on the street like was it you or me, or any other dane :-)
how cool is this
great for the cp couple to be able to go about

and about the white fuffy thing, it looks the same blanket that is behind the twins on their last bicycle ride
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...86760800_n.jpg
__________________
  #179  
Old 05-15-2013, 05:32 PM
Roskilde's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Roskilde, Denmark
Posts: 1,437
It's really nice to see Mary out and about like this! She surely seems to love her Nihola-bike. And with Mary being one of Denmark's absolute most well-known/photographed/exposed woman I am pleased that she still can go undisturbed and act just like 'normal people' in the streets. It's just nice!

I think polyesco has right about the white fuffy thing - I'm pretty sure it is Vincent and Josephine's blanket
__________________
  #180  
Old 05-15-2013, 05:44 PM
sm1939's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: london, United Kingdom
Posts: 996
Its a blanket , if it was a puppy it soooooo would be squashed there is only enough room for the twins
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread

Tags
crown prince frederik, crown princess mary, danish royals, general news, prince christian, prince frederik, prince vincent, princess isabella, princess josephine, princess mary


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General News about Frederik, Mary and Family 10: December 2011 - January 2013 iceflower Current Events Archive 394 01-05-2013 03:59 AM
General News about Frederik, Mary and Family 9: May - December 2011 iceflower Current Events Archive 480 12-15-2011 07:10 AM
General News about Frederik, Mary and Family 1: August 2007 - February 2008 GlitteringTiaras Current Events Archive 368 02-26-2008 11:26 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth bourbon-parma charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events diana engagement fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympic games ottoman picture of the month pom pregnancy president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince joachim prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marie princess mary princess of asturias queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia spain state visit wedding william winter olympics 2014


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:54 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]