General News about Frederik, Mary and Family 11: January - August 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks FasterB
I was just checking an article from 5 July 2011 that shows Mary & Frederik shopping for a carpert for the palace in the very same car.

Sometimes facts are not checked before posting.

Last edited:
I wonder do the couple have any plans to go to Australia this year - a private visit most likely as they did an official visit last year

How interesting to read about the Danish Christmas. I love that they dance around the Christmas tree. Here in America it really depends on your ancestors. It is all a blend of your traditions. We had German grandparents so we opened gifts with them on Christmas Eve. Since they've passed on, we now just go to church on christmas eve, and open gifts on Christmas with a feast afterwards.

How interesting to read about the Danish Christmas. I love that they dance around the Christmas tree. Here in America it really depends on your ancestors. It is all a blend of your traditions. We had German grandparents so we opened gifts with them on Christmas Eve. Since they've passed on, we now just go to church on christmas eve, and open gifts on Christmas with a feast afterwards.

Yes, here in America is REALLY does depend on where your family was from. In our family, we always gravitated between years of Irish Christmas fruitcake and years of Italian treats (this year was strictly Italian). Some people descended from the U.K or Ireland still make the fruitcakes, and Thanksgiving weekend was always the time traditionally set aside for making them for Christmas.

The plum pudding was always very nice too. I'll never forget my shock the day my mother sent me to the butcher for the main ingredient! :eek: As Mary is of Scottish descent, her Australian Christmas could very well have been laced with Scottish traditions.

Hi windsorgirl - thanks for your help. :star:

gerry - layout is different to printed newspaper - should also be able to be sourced at Amber Petty | in time to come - top story is still last week's column at the moment, by the look of it.

Cheers All, Sun Lion. :crown3::sun:

Thanks so much to you and Windsor Girl. The papers here in wintry Canada are full of reports of the heat and fires you are suffering 'down under'. Hope you are well and keeping cool.:flowers:

Thanks so much to you and Windsor Girl. The papers here in wintry Canada are full of reports of the heat and fires you are suffering 'down under'. Hope you are well and keeping cool.:flowers:

Hey gerry - yes, I think the worse of the heatwave and fires are now behind us for this summer.

South Australia, where I am for the holiday, is officially a Mediterranean climate - hence the big wine and olive production here - hottest day in Adelaide was 44 degrees.

Husband and I are heading off back to Sydney early tomorrow, (Monday), morning - taking the long way around the coastal highways. Will be Friday before we reach home, after six to eight hours drive per day.

(We'll have to keep an eye on the fire reports to be sure the roads aren't closed in places again, but I think we will be alright.)

Hope you're ok with Canada's winter Christmas experience - haven't had a white Christmas myself.

Can imagine CP Mary missing the Oz summer though - today was overcast, and we're all missing the blue sky and bright light after just one day! - the extreme heat of earlier weeks is already just a memory.

Cheers, Sun Lion. :butterfly::butterfly::butterfly:

Last edited:
Royal support from Mary

An article in one of the local papers advises that Mary has sent a message of support and encouragement to Tasmania's bushfire victims.

Part of the article.
Over the past week Crown Princess Mary of Denmark has grown increasingly concerned about the welfare of people in affected areas.
Danish Royal Court spokeswoman Lene Balleby make contact yesterday to pass on the royal family's sentiments.
"The Crown Princess has been closely following the development of the bushfires around Tasmania and has been in regular contact with family and friends," Ms Balleby said. "Her thoughts and concerns go out to everyone affected by these devastating fires."

:previous:
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #03, 2013.
Mary dybt bekymret - Mary deeply worried.
Written by Marianne Singer.

The severe drought and fires in Tasmania in particular has also hit the Danish news.
The paper The Mercury has apparantly called the court and Lene Balleby said: "The Crown Princess has followed the forest fires on Tasmania with keen interest and (she) has been regular contact with family and friends. Her thoughts and concerns go to all who are affected by these devastating fires".

- This is of course an unofficial statement. The only one who issues official statements of sympathy in the DRF is the Monarch. (Alternatively in the name of the Monarch). Such a statement of sympathy is forwarded directly to the Australian head of state, i.e. QEII or the Govenor General.
Mary has previously been critizised in Australia for not issuing a statement of sympathy, when something dreadful has taken place there. But that is unfair. According to the protocol it's only the Monarch who issues such statements and that is on behalf of the entire DRF. - The Crown Princess does not issue official statements of sympathy on her own or on behalf of the Monarch, that would be inappropriate.

Thanks for the translation Muhler.

The Tasmanian newspaper actually says that Lene Balleby contacted them.
This is part of the article.

"Danish Royal Court spokeswoman Lene Balleby contacted the Sunday Tasmanian early yesterday to pass on the royal family's sentiments."

Not saying this is correct.

Thanks for the translation Muhler.

The Tasmanian newspaper actually says that Lene Balleby contacted them.
This is part of the article.

"Danish Royal Court spokeswoman Lene Balleby contacted the Sunday Tasmanian early yesterday to pass on the royal family's sentiments."

Not saying this is correct.

The BB article only says that Lene Balleby and the Mercury has been in contact.
I doubt however that Lene Balleby would call just one Australian newsaper. It seems more likely that the Mercury left a message for Lene Balleby about the fires and that she called back or replied.

This is also different to the contact that was made during the floods of January 2011, this was of course around the time that the twins were born.

"The Crown Princess reportedly wrote a letter from her hospital bed in Copenhagen to Prime Minister Julia Gillard, expressing the sadness of the Danish royal couple over the natural disaster."

This is also different to the contact that was made during the floods of January 2011, this was of course around the time that the twins were born.

"The Crown Princess reportedly wrote a letter from her hospital bed in Copenhagen to Prime Minister Julia Gillard, expressing the sadness of the Danish royal couple over the natural disaster."

Thanks for this interesting piece of info, Marfre. :flowers:

That means QMII must expressed her sympathy first.
Because normally it's the Danish PM, who express the official sympathy on behalf of DK and the Danish government to the Australian PM, - if we are to follow the protocol.
One thing is certain however, Mary would not have written this letter, without a clear OK from QMII - and the Foreign Ministry.

:previous: Yes, Roskilde.

That has now hit the news: Kronprinsens puls stiger i Aarhus

The event is called Give Your Legs to Africa and as Roskilde has already mentioned it's a charity run, organised by two sporting organisations.
The route is five kilometres long, which is hardly a challenge for Frederik.

He will also be running on his hometurf so to speak. A part of the run will take place in Marselisborg Park, which is open to the public, when the DRF isn't in residence. The route will also go through the Remembrance Park, located between Marselisborg and the beach, before the big finish along a road through Marselsborg Forest.
The route will be lined with torches and it will take place at dusk, i.e. at 16.30. Frederik is scheduled to arrive five minuttes before the start.

I should be extremely surprised if this wll not be well covered on the local news.

"Give your legs to Africa?"

Oh, my! I read that literally and was much relieved to read the rest of the post. Phew!

I have a little innocent "insider information" :cool:

One of my Facebook-friends writes that he and his wife was at the theater last night. And there he spotted Frederik and Mary having a romantic evening without the children.

It was in The Royal Danish Theatre in Copenhagen and they watched the theatre play "Headless Summer" written by Erling Jepsen :flowers:

You can read about the theatre play here: Hovedløs sommer | Turné | Det Kongelige Teater

thanks for sharing. :flowers:
maybe a pre-birthday date night?

Last edited by a moderator:
Found out about this exhibition/event happening during London Fashion Week:

London Fashion Week - Line-up

Do you think Mary is one of the private invitees?

Maybe, but Mary has an event on the 18th in Copenhagen at. 18.50. "HRH The Crown Princess is present at the welcome reception for the international conference on global inequality."

Although,.. Frederik will be regent from the 15th to 20th so maybe the Queen will go :D

Did you notice that Princess mary is Aquarius? Princess Marie is too along with some other royals!

HERE

Doesn't Britain have their own royals that can attend? Or has Mary now become the super-royal and get first choice at foreign engagements?

Are any of the British royals officially patrons of the British fashion industry? Mary is patron of the Danish fashion industry and this event celebrates Scandinavian design, in particular Danish, so I don't find Anna Nother Thing's question to be so unbelievable. However it is unlikely that she will attend given that, as mentioned above, Mary already has an event that day in Copenhagen.

Are any of the British royals officially patrons of the British fashion industry? Mary is patron of the Danish fashion industry and this event celebrates Scandinavian design, in particular Danish, so I don't find Anna Nother Thing's question to be so unbelievable.

I didn't know Mary was patron for the Danish fashion industry in general?
I thought she was patron only for two yearly events within the industry, CIFF&Designers Nest?

I thought she was patron only for two yearly events within the industry, CIFF&Designers Nest?

I apologise, I wasn't clear in my post. As patron of two of the biggest fashion events in Denmark and concerning Danish fashion (even if they are only annual events, CIFF is twice a year) Mary has, in an official capacity, represented the Danish fashion industry abroad and has helped the industry benefit financially. From the Designer's Nest website (translated to English): "Designers Nest has thus intends to expose the coming Danish and Scandinavian designers as a way to help maintain and expand Denmark's position as a fashion and design nation."

There was an article on this board a few years ago that gave a specific figure but I don't have the time to search for that right now. She was patron as well of Copenhagen Fashion Summit 2012 in which she gave an interview to CNN on Danish sustainable fashion.

Hope that explains my post a little better. :flowers:

Nordic
Of course Mary is not patron of the Danish fashion industry. She is patron of Copenhagen International Fashion Fair (which is only one of several trade fairs during Copenhagen Fashion Week) and of Designers Nest Award & Show for design students in Denmark and the North (which is an integral part of CPH Vision, another trade fair during Copenhagen Fashion Week).

However, I agree with American Dane. The idea that the Danish Crown Princess could attend an event which focuses on Scandinavian Design is not as unreasonable as grevinnan's post suggests. IIRC Mette-Marit once attended an event during London Fashion Week (or was it New York?) which focused on Norwegian design.

Last edited:
Of course Mary is not patron of the Danish fashion industry.

Well, technically speaking she is protector of the fair. However, a "patron of the arts" isn't a patron of ALL arts. I think the Danish fashion industry in general enjoys the attention Mary helps create. Her mere interest in fashion makes her - strictly speaking - a patron of Danish fashion.

No, technically AND strictly speaking, and based on the Danish royal court's definition of a patronage, she is not a patron of Danish fashion. Nor is she a patron of Copenhagen, International Fashion, Fairs&Tourism in general. She is the patron of Copenhagen International Fashion Fair and Designers Nest. And both, fair and award, are international. :flowers:

But as a stylish Crown Princess who often wears Danish designers she certainly helps to promote Danish fashion. And her patronages and visits helped to create more attention for Copenhagen Fashion Week. I am sure the Danish Fashion Industry as well as the fair organizers enjoy that.

Marie is patron of Copenhagen International Jewellery Fair but that doesn't make her automatically the patron of Danish jewellers, goldsmithers etc either.
Nor is she the patron of the University of Southern Denmark although she is constantly named as such on this board. The royal website states it's a cooperation in order to promote the university.

The Danish court obviously has a strict definition of what a patronage is and what it is not. And so do I. :flowers:

Last edited:
This month, CP Frederik is regent
15-17th February, 19-20th and 24th-1 March.

As regent, he today holds State Council at Christiansborg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom