General News about Frederik, Mary and Family 10: December 2011 - January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The body guards have been known to hold one of the children's hand etc. while they are not charged with "helping to raise" the children. They help keep them safe. While on the plane, I am sure they would help Mary. It's a confined space and the threat level would be almost nill.

A family as large as Mary has I'm sure they always had the kids, esp the babies. Relatives in Aust have not had the time with the kids as the Danish side has. I am sure they trade off. nanny or not.

Isabella looks so cute in that video hopping across the pavement!

As to Mary and Frederik potentially bringing a nanny with them for the vacation part of their trip, does it really matter either way? I know several families who have taken a nanny with them on vacation; I imagine it would come in handy if they wanted to have an adult family dinner or were invited out to a party or something like that, not to mention making things a bit easier on the flights there and back, (especially for people like Mary and Frederik, who have to travel separately).

Why do you think they need to travel separately? Mary doesn't have rights of her own so it wouldn't make a difference if they would travel separately and she would survive a hypotetical disaster that would leave Frederik dead. It makes way more sense (and I think it's handled that way) if the king/queen of a country travels separately to a crownprince/crownprincess.

Why do you think they need to travel separately? Mary doesn't have rights of her own so it wouldn't make a difference if they would travel separately and she would survive a hypotetical disaster that would leave Frederik dead. It makes way more sense (and I think it's handled that way) if the king/queen of a country travels separately to a crownprince/crownprincess.

They don't need to, it's practical as Christian and Frederik need to travel separately I can't see Christian travelling without one parent at his age. So Mary goes with Christian and Frederik with Isabella.

Hopefully we'll get some bigger versions of the following very cute pics:

Mary and the kids spent some time at the playground:

** Article pic ** BB article ** BB gallery **

Mary seems like such a practical mother, love that she's pushing the pram thru the park!

What great pictures (even if tiny). Thank you iceflower :flowers:. Looks like they all had a great time.

As long as they choose to observe the convention that Frederik can't travel with his heir then for all practical intents and purposes they need to travel separately when they're travelling with Christian. I suppose Mary and Frederik could choose to travel together and have Christian fly back without either of them but that doesn't seem likely, (or like a very nice thing to do to a six year old)!

It is more of a practical thing. If they both fly together and something happens, you have 4 children without any parents. Better safe than sorry...

As usual we don't want to start any pregnancy speculations without any official announcements,
some posts discussing speculative articles have been removed. Thanks for your understanding!

Okay, as this may cause some debate I will translate this article in full.

Translation of article in Billed Bladet #1, 2012.
I lære some jæger - Apprentice hunter.
Written by Ken Richter.

Crown Prince Frederik can look forward to having a permanent hunting buddy in the future. The new hunter is his own son - six years old Prince Christian. The little chap has in the past couple of years been allowed to sniff at what it means to be a hunter. Prince Christian has attended game parades, where his parents have told him about the dead animals.
Now Prince Christian has also tried to attend a hunt. That happened at Frijsenborg Slot (manor), near Hammel (small town), where the Crown Prince Frederik between Christmas and New Year went pheasant hunting at fief-count Bendt Wedell's.
After some quiet Christmas days at Marselisborg Slot Frederik drove early in the morning to the hunt at Frijsenborg and later in the forenoon Crown Princess Mary also drove out to the manor together with Prince Christian and Princess Isabella. Here mother and children had a cosy time with fief-count Bendt Wedell's wife Pernille and their two boys, Tido and Hannibal.
In the middle of the afternoon an excursion to the hunt was arranged, which at that time had reached a hunting-ground at a sunny field close to restaurant Pøt Mølle in Frijsenborg Forest.
Here each hunter was allocated a post, from where they could shoot the pheasants that were scared up by the clappers who makes the pheasants take off. Together with his mother, who held Isabella's hand, Christian stood close to his father and each time the Crown Prince Frederik hit a pheasant which fell to the ground, the little Prince ran all he could to the dead bird and picked it up.
One single time Prince Christian stopped at a pheasant, which he carefully poked and at once the bird woke up and flapped the wings and flew away.
After half an hour of hunting Prince Christian had picked up five-six pheasants which he proudly and with fresh red cheeks carried across the field and over to the car where the prey from the hunt was collected. Then it was back home with mother, while dad continued with the days hunt until the sun went down.

- Okay, over the years I've known Ken Richter to be a journalist who reports what he sees, no more, no less. So I believe thing happened as he decribed it in his article.
I have no qualms about hunting, I consider that a necessity. Nor do I have a problem with children attending a hunt. Children have attended hunts since we climbed down from the trees and meat don't grow in super markets.
However, I have two problems with this.
When hunting fowl each hunter is allocated a field of fire. You shoot high and as the birds are flying over you. Simply to avoid danger to the clappers and retrieving dogs in front of you and also the hunters next to you. Preferably the birds drop behind you.
I do not like it when children age six run around at a hunt, even if it's behind the firing line, in full view of the parents! You let the dogs pick up the birds or you walk yourself with your child to the bird that has dropped and pick it up together. Period!
Children that age don't think. If a bird drops in front of Frederik Christian might just as well dart out to retrieve that bird. - It only takes an eager fool or someone who accidentally discharge his shotgun on the way up, and.....
The other problem I have is with birds that are not killed outright. Most birds are stunned or preferably shock-killed at once, but in case they are not, (that happens to even the best shot) you don't leave it to a child to deal with a shot and flapping bird. A child who is a couple of years older than Christian can ring the neck of a pheasant, but not an inexperieced six years old.
I know, I know, Frederik is no worse than so many other hunters who introduce their children to hunting, but I don't think he handled this well at all.

This a a Google view over Frijsenborg Manor, the restaurant Pøt Mølle and parts of Frijsenborg Wood (Hammel Skov), nearest to Pøt Mølle: Frijsenborg Slot & Pøt Mølle restaurant & Hammel town - Kopi.JPG - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Last edited:
I would need to see first hand exactly how this all played out before judging. Frederik and Mary both seem to have a good deal of common sense, and we know Mary, at least, reacts quickly when she perceives the safety of one of her children to be at risk, (I'm thinking of the much discussed Prince Henrik/Princess Isabella balcony scene from a couple of years ago). Given that, and given the inherent limitations of description involved in writing this sort of article, I'm inclined to give M and F the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will there be a special event for her 40th birthday?

I hope so. There will probably be pictures to celebrate her 40th birthday. There were some for Frederik. But then again, he is the heir.

Mary has been pictured shopping with her stylist Anja Camilla Alajdi in Copenhagen on January 2, 2012.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gallery **

Thanks for the pics Iceflower! I do hate watermarks though.

A scathing attack on the crown princely couple!

Here, on the brink of the 40th jubilee of Queen Margrethe Kjeld Koplev a former journalist of Radio Denmark has launched a scathing attack on the crown princely couple in a letter published in the daily Politiken. Mr. Koplev seems to pick up the criticism where Ms. Trine Villemann left it some time ago.
In a country with freedom of the press and freedom of expression people are of course free to voice their opinion on e.g. the monarchy and the royal family. I only wish that the detractors at least would try to get the basic facts right. This piece should be read with 'Find five errors ' in
mind;)!
For the record: Mr. Koplev, who is a former communist and thus hardly a hard core royalist, is publishing his letter in a republican newspaper. It has triggered a barrage of comments pro & con the DRF (and Koplev himself!) on the newspaper's website! Billed Bladet then picked up the story, using the heading 'Frederik and Mary are irresponsible', a word never used by Koplev!

Here's my translation of the breaking news from the 'most royalistic nation in Europe' - with my comments in red :):

Immature and superficial Frederik and Mary!
Neither Frederik nor Mary are realizing the gravity of the recession raging throughout Europe and in the wider world
By Kjeld Koplev ( in a letter published in Politiken , the Danish equiv. of the Guardian. )
Am I the only person thinking that it would be a disaster should Queen Margrethe abdicate in favour of Crown Prince Frederik? The Crown Prince is still an immature young man without depth and regrettably devoid of any cultural and social understanding.
He has repeatedly told in several interviews how much he appreciates family life. In fact he is worshipping it to the extent that those in the know figured out that he was only working forty days a year (source?). It’s not much for a young, hale and hearty man (erm, young??:whistling:). Neither has Crown Princess Mary gained any royal momentum. She is apparently going light-heartedly through life on killer heels, with a gracious smile on her lips.
In spite of the recession and the meager times she’s constantly haunting fashion temples – like the emperor in the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale - only to appear in increasingly grand and expensive outfits for the benefit of a fawning royalty press (yeah, well Mary is not the only contemporary princess to do so and maybe Koplev forgets about her two fashion patronages?)
I can’t find any examples of the crown princely couple sympathizing with (the problems of) the outcasts and the vulnerable of our society ( strange, it’s fairly easy to find evidence to the opposite ) - contrary to the Norwegian and English (sic!) crown princely couples (sic!). Their Norwegian equivalents are constantly highlighting social causes.
English Prince William is speaking the cause of the homeless, in fact he has even been sleeping rough together with the homeless in London (OK, so Frederik never did the same to my knowledge. According to the context Koplev seems to believe that Prince William is the ‘English Crown Prince’!) .
Does our Crown Prince have any idea whatsoever about the homeless in Denmark? Neither Frederik nor Mary have expressed any understanding of the recession raging in Europe. When William married Kate last April they declined wedding presents; the English (sic!) were requested to donate to charities. The wedding presents of Mary and Frederik took up three floors in Amalienborg (well, there was no recession back then!) .
This is about holding on to Margrete (sic!) and Henrik for as long as possible - if we are to remain a monarchy at all!
When young the Queen was very much engaged in archaeological excavations, she’s always been drawing and painting and we’ve seen her scrambling on the floor in a pair of dungarees.
And while we may smile at the Danish of Prince Henrik he’s never- the-
less been translating and writing books and poems, qualities lacking in Frederik and Mary (Koplev forgets the fact that Frederik is very much interested in modern art!) .
It takes culture (sic),depth and social understanding to take over in a modern monarchy (it seems that the social engagements of the CPly couple until now have been to no avail!). Family idyll, parties and fancy clothes do not stand alone!

Viv

Last edited:
The author may be way to the left but the lack of depth in your responses to the various claims leads one to perhaps think that the Queen may have a problem on her hands. Unless someone can provide the readers of the "Politiken" with some substantial re-buttal the criticism may have some relevance.

Let's take this "attack" with a grain of salt or two.

Whenever there is a big event in the DRF, someone inevitably write something critical about the DRF.
Okay, in this case the attack, for whatever reason, was launched against M&F. The problem with this article is that the author hasn't bothered to check his facts. The basis for his article appears to be not only faulty but also taken from the tabloid Ekstra Bladet and the magazine Se & Hør. Both have time and again been caught distorting and twisting facts.
The "work year" of 40 days. is something that is taken from Ekstra Bladet. They have counted how many engagements Frederik had in a year, and reached a (by the way incorrect) number of him working for 40 days in total.
Preparations, meetings, briefings and administration of his own court, not to mention quite a few engagements were not included.
It's a bit like walking into the office of your boss and say: "If you are not away on bussiness travels, conventions or are having business lunches, you are not working". I think the response would be pretty sharp! :angry: :hiding:

Anyway, back to the article. When ever there is an event in the DRF, someone writes something critical. And often in a provocative manner and by putting things on the edge. And papers take it up to counter the positive coverage.
Personally I've never heard about the author before. I believe he host a show on a local radio in Copenhagen.
I understand he's an ex-communist as well.
Well, communists may not be that hostile to the concept of monarchy, come to think of it. Substitute the general secretary with the monarch and the polit bureau with the royal family, and you are almost there...:p
Sorry, but I've got problems being serious about this.

The author may be way to the left but the lack of depth in your responses to the various claims leads one to perhaps think that the Queen may have a problem on her hands. Unless someone can provide the readers of the "Politiken" with some substantial re-buttal the criticism may have some relevance.

Last edited:
Let's take this "attack" with a grain of salt or two.

Whenever there is a big event in the DRF, someone inevitably write something critical about the DRF.
Okay, in this case the attack, for whatever reason, was launched against M&F. The problem with this article is that the author hasn't bothered to check his facts. The basis for his article appears to be not only faulty but also taken from the tabloid Ekstra Bladet and the magazine Se & Hør. Both have time and again been caught distorting and twisting facts.
The "work year" of 40 days. is something that is taken from Ekstra Bladet. They have counted how many engagements Frederik had in a year, and reached a (by the way incorrect) number of him working for 40 days in total.
Preparations, meetings, briefings and administration of his own court, not to mention quite a few engagements were not included.
It's a bit like walking into the office of your boss and say: "If you are not away on bussiness travels, conventions or are having business lunches, you are not working". I think the response would be pretty sharp! :angry: :hiding:

Anyway, back to the article. When ever there is an event in the DRF, someone writes something critical. And often in a provocative manner and by putting things on the edge. And papers take it up to counter the positive coverage.
Personally I've never heard about the author before. I believe he host a show on a local radio in Copenhagen.
I understand he's an ex-communist as well.
Well, communists may not be that hostile to the concept of monarchy, come to think of it. Substitute the general secretary with the monarch and the polit bureau with the royal family, and you are almost there...:p
Sorry, but I've got problems being serious about this.

Thank you for your comments and insights about this somewhat provocative article:flowers: Controversy is wonderful, it gets people talking about subjects that might otherwise be taken for granted. What delights me is the respect given by the writer (whose name I have already forgotten:lol:) to Queen Margrethe's artistic, literary and academic interests! He appreciates the Queen's intellectual abilities and gives a thumbs down to what he perceives as the celebrity-like fashion and family sense of the crown princely couple. Bearing in mind that there is rarely smoke without some fire, it seems to me that the pr guru's in the Crown princely household might want to encourage the crown princess to take painting lessons!:butterfly: Who knows, a butterfly might emerge from the new apartments at Amalienborg! (Strangely, I could find no artistic/creative smileys!)

GOOD GRIEF Trine Villemans given birth!!! He sounds at least like a chip off the old block. Er her block. Anyway it most be very tiring to be a royal these days and doing your best and without making any political comment. Trying to highlight a cause only to be critised the minute you leave the house.
Critized if you dress down. Critized if you don't look dressy enough as a princess. Critized for wearing shoes/handbag etc whom everyone thinks you have bought. When in all probability a great many of these items have been given / loaned to you.
I couldn't take that kind of constant criticism that they do, with a smile on my face. So I give the royals a 10 out 10 for putting up with the constant criticism and getting on with the job of performing a largely thankless task.
You can never please all of the people all of the time. Trouble with this sort of attack by Koplev is there is nothing specific.
I can assure you if Fred or Mary or anyone in the royal family is perceived to not be up to scratch, then the Danish people would certainly let them know loud and clear.
Koplev has done his job by creating a sensational headline to sell more papers. Must be a slow news week.

GOOD GRIEF Trine Villemans given birth!!! He sounds at least like a chip off the old block. Er her block. Anyway it most be very tiring to be a royal these days and doing your best and without making any political comment. Trying to highlight a cause only to be critised the minute you leave the house.
Critized if you dress down. Critized if you don't look dressy enough as a princess. Critized for wearing shoes/handbag etc whom everyone thinks you have bought. When in all probability a great many of these items have been given / loaned to you.
I couldn't take that kind of constant criticism that they do, with a smile on my face. So I give the royals a 10 out 10 for putting up with the constant criticism and getting on with the job of performing a largely thankless task.
You can never please all of the people all of the time. Trouble with this sort of attack by Koplev is there is nothing specific.
I can assure you if Fred or Mary or anyone in the royal family is perceived to not be up to scratch, then the Danish people would certainly let them know loud and clear.
Koplev has done his job by creating a sensational headline to sell more papers. Must be a slow news week.

Nicely put :flowers:. After reading that 'reporter's' vitriol, I really did have to laugh. I don't know a lot about Mary and Frederik (but being on this forum certainly helps that), but from I've seen from things posted here, they appear to be well-rounded and hard-working royals. We don't see what goes on behind closed doors; how long they stay up doing paperwork, or sit in meetings with their staff, and I'm more than positive that the author of the article doesn't have that information either. I think it's unfair to be this harsh. And the whole 'Prince William is Crown Prince of England' was just horrid journalism. It won't hurt this 'reporter' to learn how to do research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom