The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 08:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Do you know where is Ziggy? We haven't seen him so mucht!

Old 02-07-2012, 09:21 PM
Courtier

Don't the Crown Prince couple have a website of their own anymore...It seems to be amalgamated with the official Kongehuset one and everyone and everything is on there now...I was only asking because I was trying to track down baby photos of Princess Mary with her mother Henrietta Donaldson, to see Mary's resemblance to Josephine...Does anyone know the photo I am talking about?

http://casasreales.foroactivo.net/t1...s-de-dinamarca

Here's one link with a family portrait and I can see Mary's (in her mother lap) resemblance to Josephine
And Mary aged 5:

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=he...429,r:18,s:265

Old 02-07-2012, 10:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNotherThing View Post
Don't the Crown Prince couple have a website of their own anymore...It seems to be amalgamated with the official Kongehuset one and everyone and everything is on there now...I was only asking because I was trying to track down baby photos of Princess Mary with her mother Henrietta Donaldson, to see Mary's resemblance to Josephine...Does anyone know the photo I am talking about?

Federico y Mary, los principes herederos de Dinamarca

Here's one link with a family portrait and I can see Mary's (in her mother lap) resemblance to Josephine
And Mary aged 5:

Redirect Notice
I was thinking Josephine resembled Mary, but the super chubby cheeks made it a little hard to tell! yes, the 5 year old picture nails it. I have never seen the photo in her mother's lap and couldn't find it on the above link.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:06 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNotherThing View Post

Federico y Mary, los principes herederos de Dinamarca

And Mary aged 5:
I think the photo you are talking about which was on the CPP website was one of her mother Henrietta holding Mary by a window. Josephine is the most like her IMO particularly the eyes.
http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/new-idea/news/royal-watch/article/-/5988965/princess-mary-my-family-time-bomb/

But the 5 year old one is like her too and I think Christian has her nose she was very cute :)
Old 02-08-2012, 11:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenbeee View Post
I think the photo you are talking about which was on the CPP website was one of her mother Henrietta holding Mary by a window. Josephine is the most like her IMO particularly the eyes.
http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/new-idea/news/royal-watch/article/-/5988965/princess-mary-my-family-time-bomb/

But the 5 year old one is like her too and I think Christian has her nose she was very cute :)
Thank you Helenbee, that is exactly the picture I remember and it is VERY Josephine...and I love the idea, that as the girls in particular, Isabella and Josephine mature they will resemble each of their parents, Isabella, her father and Josephine, her mother...but the boys seem to be a mixture of both and carry even some features from each of their grandparents, particularly Prince Henrik and John Donaldson...gotta love genetics!
Old 02-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

All the posts about Mary's 40th birthday over the weekend have been moved to their own thread, http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...2-a-32587.html.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

A couple of posts about the incidents at Queen Margrethe's gala dinner have been moved to the following thread:

** Queen Margrethe II’s 40th Jubilee Celebrations; January - February 2012 **
Old 02-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Heir Apparent

As you know M&F have now returned from Verbier and in Billed Bladet #08, 2012, there are a couple of notes about them.

The DRF have not said anything official about the accident Prince Friso has been involved in. But Lene Balleby says: "Officially we haven't said anything, but of course there have been a personal contact between the families".

Frederik sometimes ski off-piste. The most extreme experience in that regards (*) took place in Canada in 2000. Where he and a number of friends went skiing in unprepared terrain, where there was a genuine risk of avalanches. As such several of those who went with him carried vibration detectors in order to be warned.

Apparantly there was no avanlanche danger in the Verbier area while M&F were there. The warning lights reported no danger.

Upon returning from Switzerland it was time for Fastelavn. Both Isabella and Christian dressed up and went to Fastelavn Monday morning. Isabella in her kindergarten and Christian in his school.
Fastelavn goes back to medieval times here in DK. It's the day before the 40 days of faste up to Easter.
Nowadays children dress up in all sorts of costumes and line up in front of a barrel hanging in a rope. They then take turns hitting the barrell with a club, until the bottom fall out and the contents, which is sweets fall to the floor. The children then rush in to grab as much sweets as they can. The child who made the bottom fall out is proclaimed cat-king or cat-queen.
Later on some children join up and go from door to door, singing a song, demanding buns or they'll cause mischief. - Usually they get some candy or small change.

In medieval times this was a game for adults though. A black cat, symbolising the Devil was put inside a barrell and people banged away on the barrell. The more the cat hissed and screamed the better. It was a way to get back at the Devil.
When the dazed and terrified cat finally fell out it was chased and if possible clubbed to death.

Perhaps FasterB can tell us something more about the religious significanse of Fastelavn?

Here is a clip illustrating a typical Fastelavn:

(*) In mountains that is. Greenland is even more extreme due to hidden crevasses in the ice. - Not to mention the odd polar bear...
Old 02-23-2012, 04:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Similar to the Mexican pinata!
Old 02-23-2012, 08:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
In medieval times this was a game for adults though. A black cat, symbolising the Devil was put inside a barrell and people banged away on the barrell. The more the cat hissed and screamed the better. It was a way to get back at the Devil.
When the dazed and terrified cat finally fell out it was chased and if possible clubbed to death.
Those poor cats!

Quote:
Similar to the Mexican pinata!
Thankfully I've never seen a cat fall out of a piñata...lol.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 02-23-2012, 10:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

that's true , it is sweets for the pinata, but it is the same idea!
Old 02-24-2012, 05:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Out of curiosity, how widespread has the tradition with the Pinata become in USA?
Old 02-24-2012, 05:17 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Out of curiosity, how widespread has the tradition with the Pinata become in USA?
I can remember birthday parties from the age of 2 to 5 always having pinatas. And many others I imagine, I just can't think of them now. It's quite widespread across the USA. Has been since at least my parents' generation
Old 02-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Heir Apparent

I've been looking into the tradition of Fastelavn. It's actually much older than I thought.

As you may recall Nikolai and possibly Felix too became cat-kings at their school some years ago and I'd guess bette Henrik attended his first Fastelavn this year.

Fastelavn goes back to pagan times and almost certainly some time way before the Viking age.
It was originally a celebration of the new year and it was then a duel between two characters dressed up as winter and summer. Summer always won.
When Christianity came to DK, Fastelavn was incorperated into the Christian traditions, or more correctly became a kind of Christian tradition. by then, 11-1200's, it was more a celebration of strength and a way to get back at the evil forces, especially the Devil.
At that time villages consisted of a cluster af farm, with the fields around. From each farm a rider and a horse was selected.
These riders took turn in riding beneath a barrel hanging from a rope, hitting it as hard as they could with a club. At that time all free men were armed and they knew perfectly well how to use a sword or an axe - or indeed a club.
Apart from the fact that strength was admired in a very physical society, the winner, the cat-king was also exemt from taxes for a whole year. - Or rather the farm, he represented was exempt. That was a huge incentive!
That tradition with the winner being exempt from taxation existed in Denmark as late as the 1950's. By then the exemption only applied to what was then the equivalent of the municipal tax.

A black cat was put inside the barrel, partly for fun and partly because it symbolised the Devil. Sometimes they put two cats inside the barrel, with their tails tied together... that was even more fun.
You see in Christian belief at the time, animals were put on this earth to either serve, feed or please man. - The cat, which you can never be sure will obey your commands was a bit outside that frame. And that kind of inappropriate insubordination surely must be caused by dark forces.

By then fastelavn was the last feast before 40 days of fasting up to easter and people got together to celebrate. That included the poor as well. In return for drinks and food they were required to beg by singing a song for the benificiary. Such a song is today song by children when they walk door to door, begging for buns and candy.

If you snatched someone from say 1453 and dumped them in a modern school during Fastelavn, they would no doubt know what was celebrated.

After the Reformation in the 1530's the faste was abolished, but despite Protestantism being more austere, fastelavn remained, alive and well.

There are some claims that it was dutch settlers in the early 1500's which brought the tradition with the cat in the barrel with them, but that is almost certainly not true.
The Dutch brought a lot of things with them, and had a great influence on the Danish society, but this kind of animal cruelty was homegrown, I fear.

So to sum up. Christian and Bella took part in a costum that is at the very least more than a 1.000 years old.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Time to get back to the topic of this thread - if you wish to discuss special traditions, feasts and similar
topics, please use the Members Corner instead! Thanks!
Old 03-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Heir Apparent

I wonder why we don't get to see any pictures of Christian enter the school or Mary picking up Christian at school! I know that is a private thing and those pictures aren't allowed but I would to see from time to time some casual Mary picking up Christian at school
Old 03-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas
I wonder why we don't get to see any pictures of Christian enter the school or Mary picking up Christian at school! I know that is a private thing and those pictures aren't allowed but I would to see from time to time some casual Mary picking up Christian at school
Why would you like to see pictures? Like you said it's a private event. It doesn't tell us or show us anything about the family. It would just be intrusive.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm glad that the press is staying decent and leaving the kids alone. What's the point of taking pictures of Christian going to school?

Old 03-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Heir Apparent

That would be double standards.

You can't appeal to the media to not publish pictures of Christian and Isabella at the school/kindergarten and then publish such pictures yourself.

Apart from that we do see pictures of M&F and their children at various events, where Mary is casual. There are however not that many events out in the open or in the public at this time of year.

ADDED: Okay! Talk about a co-ordinated reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas View Post
Old 03-07-2012, 01:04 PM
Heir Apparent

mary seems to have given an interview to point de vue magazine. she's also on the cover. here's the extract from the website of PDV and a link to the translation

Google Translate.

"Chez la princesse Mary, la faculté d’être totalement impliquée est élevée au rang d’un des beaux-arts. Et pourtant, dans le même temps, on sent qu’elle aimerait aussi qu’on lui laisse les commandes. Et la latitude de soigner les détails. Ce qui ne manque pas d’apparaître pendant la séance photos dans le jardin privé du couple princier, derrière le palais de Frederik VIII, à Copenhague. Le soleil d’hiver fait briller la glace fondue sur la pelouse comme du cristal. Ziggy, le chien de la famille, gambade dans tous les sens, encourageant Mary à shooter dans le ballon pour jouer avec lui."

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Closed Thread