General News about Frederik, Mary and Family 10: December 2011 - January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Roskilde :flowers:
PM'ed me and asked me to convey a survey from the tabloid BT, which has comissioned a poll from Gallup. (The survey is not online yet).

And here is the result:

"There is a big and wide support for the DRF among the Danes, for the Queen in front in general and the CP-couple in particular.

86 % of those asked believe Crown Prince Frederik will be a good king, while the support for Mary is even bigger. Here 88 % believe she will be a good queen.

87 % believe it's a good idea that Prince Christian attends a public (state) school and 88 % dismiss that the CP-couple lose their royal dignity, when their children attend municipal daycare institutions.

92 % believe the CP-couple are good at representing Denmark when going on visits abroad.

The Danes are more divided in the question regarding whether the Queen should leave the throne for the Crown Prince now. Here 43 % answer yes, while 33 % answer no".

- The figures I presume are predominantly from those who are in favour of the monarchy. (More than 75 % IRRC).

Thanks, Roskilde :)

Last edited:
Again I suspect that reflects the popularity of the CP couple and not dissatisfaction with the Queen. Some people like change for changes sake.

is that 43 in total?! i'm rather surprised if it is because that seems very low. I'm never a big believer in just going off public appearances as a lot of work goes in behind the scenes (I think one of QE2's cousins once said - what do the public think we do when we aren't in public, just disappear?) but 43 seems low when compared to others such as Spain, Sweden etc. That being said I like fred and mary.

43 regular engagements are the ones in Denmark? The abroad engagements aren't included in the 43 yes? :ermm:

Just to clarifty, the total of 43 'regular' engagements was those that took place in Denmark (and including the Berleburg and Monaco weddings).

When you combine the 'regular' engagements with those undertaken on visits abroad, you get a total of 178 engagements - likely more, as individual engagements abroad were only counted for the visits to Russia, the USA, Australia and Vietnam (programs not available for the other visits, therefore they contribute '1' per day to the count).

Plus the 47 days he spent as Regent.

Roskilde :flowers:
PM'ed me and asked me to convey a survey from the tabloid BT, which has comissioned a poll from Gallup. (The survey is not online yet).

And here is the result:

"There is a big and wide support for the DRF among the Danes, for the Queen in front in general and the CP-couple in particular.

86 % of those asked believe Crown Prince Frederik will be a good king, while the support for Mary is even bigger. Here 88 % believe she will be a good queen.

87 % believe it's a good idea that Prince Christian attends a public (state) school and 88 % dismiss that the CP-couple lose their royal dignity, when their children attend municipal daycare institutions.

92 % believe the CP-couple are good at representing Denmark when going on visits abroad.

The Danes are more divided in the question regarding whether the Queen should leave the throne for the Crown Prince now. Here 43 % answer yes, while 33 % answer no".

- The figures I presume are predominantly from those who are in favour of the monarchy. (More than 75 % IRRC).

Thanks, Roskilde :)

These numbers speak for themselves. Obviously people who are in favour of the monarchy are more than satisfied, and those who are not will never be satisfied...more than I can say for my country, where the president's approval rating is maybe in the 40%s? IMO Frederick is doing a fine job, and lets face it, even if he did attend more engagements then lets say Mary, he still wouldn't get near the coverage she receives.

Just to clarifty, the total of 43 'regular' engagements was those that took place in Denmark (and including the Berleburg and Monaco weddings).

When you combine the 'regular' engagements with those undertaken on visits abroad, you get a total of 178 engagements - likely more, as individual engagements abroad were only counted for the visits to Russia, the USA, Australia and Vietnam (programs not available for the other visits, therefore they contribute '1' per day to the count).

Thank you for trying to clarify the number Frederik did last year as I'm afraid many read "43" and and quickly assumed it was the total number.

Princess Anne, in the BRF, always the royal workhorse, has always insisted on bunching or grouping her engagments to have many in one day. That is one way she and, also in earlier times, Prince Philip achieved such high totals.

Is he the most hardworking member of the DRF? Judging from public appearances, no. Mary is. - Followed by our Marie. Frederik is competing with Joachim and QMII in that respect. I will however say that I believe Joachim, QMII and Frederik put in an equal amount of time at the office.
We all know your fondness for Marie, Muhler, but presenting her as the hardest working royal after Mary is going a bit too far IMO. It's an insult to Frederik, Joachim, the Queen and even the Prince Consort who all had more public appearances than Marie in 2011 (Marie got more publicity though).

Marie is a princess since 3 and a half years. And IMO she really took things easy (or slowly). Last summer there even was an article in BT about Marie in danger of becoming the "forgotten" princess (and how great it is therefore that she took over the patronage for the Church Aid). She did have more engagements in the second half of the year though.

While I don't have a problem with Marie's workload (or tempo) itself I do have a problem when Marie is presented as the hardest working member of the DRF after Mary. Compared with Alexandra she is not even the hardest working wife of Joachim. :)

Thank you for the results of the Gallup poll, Muhler. As another poster said, these numbers speak for themselves - and must be painful for any anti-royalist. Probably the reason for this (very superficial) criticism.

:previous:
Hmm, perhaps I should have written "judging from coverage" rather than "judging from appearances".
As for BT and the forgotten Princess article, that's got more to do with BT still being a mainly Copenhagener tabloid, which sometimes have a problem looking outside the capital. If you look at the coverage our Marie (and Joachim) get in the local medias, it's pretty substancial.
The "forgotten Princess" is more likely Benedikte

I fail however to see why my claim should be an insult to the rest of the DRF. I never said they work less than Marie, only that they were seen/covered/appearing less than her.

With all due respect for Alexandra, she's no longer a member of the DRF. Ten years ago, she was the undisputed star of the DRF, with seven years of experience under her belt. - No more.

After a quick count and using the same method -
2010 Frederik had about the same amount of engagements as last year.

Wasn't one of the things that Frederick did was a tour around Denmark or is that considered different.

Personally if it was me the quality and type of engagments would score higher for me then the quanity. If he was doing a bunch in one day I would wonder if he or the people got anything out of the engagement.

We also have to remember that Crown Prince Frederik did take some time off after the birth of the twins last year.

Isabellaa's got such an expressive face. She strikes me as a young lady with quite a personality :D.

Whn they usually take their winter snow vacation? Is that in february or March?

Last edited by a moderator:
Josephine looks so much like her paternal grandfather, Prince Henri. Christian and Vincent look alike while both look like Mary with the light looks from Frederik. Isabella's is so daddie's girl. i had dificulty to see from who Josephine resembled, but its without a doubt her granddaddie

Josephine reminds me of Queen Margrethe as a baby with those big cheeks.

I like those pictures of Haakon, Mette-Marit and Mary, seems like they're really good friends.

Perhaps they were buying presents for their daughter Ingrid who turns eight soon.

Here's the website for Cafe' Victor, the restaurant where Princess Mary went with the Prince Haakon and Princess Mette-Marit. The menu looks really good!! (there's an English version, too!)

Café Victor

Josephine looks so much like her paternal grandfather, Prince Henri. Christian and Vincent look alike while both look like Mary with the light looks from Frederik. Isabella's is so daddie's girl. i had dificulty to see from who Josephine resembled, but its without a doubt her granddaddie

You are bang on target, I couldn't agree more, I never realized it until now

Do you know where is Ziggy? We haven't seen him so mucht!

Don't the Crown Prince couple have a website of their own anymore...It seems to be amalgamated with the official Kongehuset one and everyone and everything is on there now...I was only asking because I was trying to track down baby photos of Princess Mary with her mother Henrietta Donaldson, to see Mary's resemblance to Josephine...Does anyone know the photo I am talking about?

http://casasreales.foroactivo.net/t16-federico-y-mary-los-principes-herederos-de-dinamarca

Here's one link with a family portrait and I can see Mary's (in her mother lap) resemblance to Josephine
And Mary aged 5:

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=h...nh=151&tbnw=122&ndsp=43&ved=1t:429,r:18,s:265

Last edited:
Don't the Crown Prince couple have a website of their own anymore...It seems to be amalgamated with the official Kongehuset one and everyone and everything is on there now...I was only asking because I was trying to track down baby photos of Princess Mary with her mother Henrietta Donaldson, to see Mary's resemblance to Josephine...Does anyone know the photo I am talking about?

Federico y Mary, los principes herederos de Dinamarca

Here's one link with a family portrait and I can see Mary's (in her mother lap) resemblance to Josephine
And Mary aged 5:

Redirect Notice
I was thinking Josephine resembled Mary, but the super chubby cheeks made it a little hard to tell! yes, the 5 year old picture nails it. I have never seen the photo in her mother's lap and couldn't find it on the above link.

Federico y Mary, los principes herederos de Dinamarca

And Mary aged 5:

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=h...nh=151&tbnw=122&ndsp=43&ved=1t:429,r:18,s:265

I think the photo you are talking about which was on the CPP website was one of her mother Henrietta holding Mary by a window. Josephine is the most like her IMO particularly the eyes.
http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/new-idea/news/royal-watch/article/-/5988965/princess-mary-my-family-time-bomb/

But the 5 year old one is like her too and I think Christian has her nose she was very cute :)

I think the photo you are talking about which was on the CPP website was one of her mother Henrietta holding Mary by a window. Josephine is the most like her IMO particularly the eyes.
http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/new-idea/news/royal-watch/article/-/5988965/princess-mary-my-family-time-bomb/

But the 5 year old one is like her too and I think Christian has her nose she was very cute :)

Thank you Helenbee, that is exactly the picture I remember and it is VERY Josephine...and I love the idea, that as the girls in particular, Isabella and Josephine mature they will resemble each of their parents, Isabella, her father and Josephine, her mother...but the boys seem to be a mixture of both and carry even some features from each of their grandparents, particularly Prince Henrik and John Donaldson...gotta love genetics!

As you know M&F have now returned from Verbier and in Billed Bladet #08, 2012, there are a couple of notes about them.

The DRF have not said anything official about the accident Prince Friso has been involved in. But Lene Balleby says: "Officially we haven't said anything, but of course there have been a personal contact between the families".

Frederik sometimes ski off-piste. The most extreme experience in that regards (*) took place in Canada in 2000. Where he and a number of friends went skiing in unprepared terrain, where there was a genuine risk of avalanches. As such several of those who went with him carried vibration detectors in order to be warned.

Apparantly there was no avanlanche danger in the Verbier area while M&F were there. The warning lights reported no danger.

Upon returning from Switzerland it was time for Fastelavn. Both Isabella and Christian dressed up and went to Fastelavn Monday morning. Isabella in her kindergarten and Christian in his school.
Fastelavn goes back to medieval times here in DK. It's the day before the 40 days of faste up to Easter.
Nowadays children dress up in all sorts of costumes and line up in front of a barrel hanging in a rope. They then take turns hitting the barrell with a club, until the bottom fall out and the contents, which is sweets fall to the floor. The children then rush in to grab as much sweets as they can. The child who made the bottom fall out is proclaimed cat-king or cat-queen.
Later on some children join up and go from door to door, singing a song, demanding buns or they'll cause mischief. - Usually they get some candy or small change.

In medieval times this was a game for adults though. A black cat, symbolising the Devil was put inside a barrell and people banged away on the barrell. The more the cat hissed and screamed the better. It was a way to get back at the Devil.
When the dazed and terrified cat finally fell out it was chased and if possible clubbed to death.

Perhaps FasterB can tell us something more about the religious significanse of Fastelavn? :)

Here is a clip illustrating a typical Fastelavn: Fastelavn i Huset bag Banen - YouTube

(*) In mountains that is. Greenland is even more extreme due to hidden crevasses in the ice. - Not to mention the odd polar bear...

Last edited:
Similar to the Mexican pinata!

In medieval times this was a game for adults though. A black cat, symbolising the Devil was put inside a barrell and people banged away on the barrell. The more the cat hissed and screamed the better. It was a way to get back at the Devil.
When the dazed and terrified cat finally fell out it was chased and if possible clubbed to death.

Those poor cats!

Similar to the Mexican pinata!

Thankfully I've never seen a cat fall out of a piñata...lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom