The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 03:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Not sure if this is the right place.

Those of you who have read UserDane's translation now know that the magazine Euroman has a very long interview with Frederik.

As a part of that portrait a friend talks about a little detail from Mary's 40th birthday celebration.
Mary fik fræk gave af Frederik - Royale | www.bt.dk
Frederik gave a speech to his wife asking her if she prefer his upper or lower body...
Before Mary could respond a magician took over and sawed Frederik in two....
That same friend also label Frederik as being the most informal in the royal cicle of friends: "Frederik is the quirky (guy), the jester in that company".

Old 07-18-2012, 03:52 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler
Frederik gave a speech to his wife asking her if she prefer his upper or lower body...
That is a difficult choice for even me

Old 07-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Heir Apparent

A few more details are emerging from the Euroman interview.

A couple of details from an article in Billed Bladet #29, 2012.
Written by Niels Burgos.

Christian has not yet been told that he is destined to become king, M&F have decided to wait about telling him that until he one day ask that question himself.
Christian is aware that farmor Margrethe is Queen.

He has asked why he has no surname and M&F has replied that he instead have more middle names. (Than usual).

Frederik was told that he was going to be king at an Easter lunch (*) at Marselisborg in 1979, when he was eleven. That was at the same time Joachim was told he was to inherit Schackenborg. (**)

Frederik's guide and mentor in respect to his future role (and other subjects as well) was Queen Ingrid who answered his many questions.

Sometimes Frederik and Christian cycle the 7.8 kilometres to school from Amalienborg.

(*) An Easter Lunch here in DK is the big cold smorgasboard with schnapps and other delights of life. We don't have Easter eggs all over the garden, or more correctly looking for Easter eggs is very modern, istead we have yellow Easter chickens spread all over the table, With similar yellow chickens on the table cloth and tissues.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_YoS7LKVA6C...0/DSC05486.JPG
http://gittemor.dk/wp-content/upload...%C3%B8-001.jpg
A typically decorated table: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GU_TIL9WZs...2011%2B004.JPG

(**) I recall how that was completely surreal to Frederik. That Joachim was to inherit a manor, that he could grasp. But that he, Frederik, was to inherit a whole country that was beyond his comprehension. "What was I to do with a whole country"?

-----------------------------------

Another bit of trivia. According to the DRF expert in BB, Jon Bloch Skipper, Mary is an avid reader. Among her favourite books are The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolles, Music and Silence by Rose Tremain and The Fairytale of My Life, by H.C. Andersen, whom she has now read in Danish as well.

- Well, we should perhaps take such lists with pinch of salt. I don't think Mary is much different from the rest of us in the sense that if we were to mention some favourite books we would be likely to mention the more heavy and perhaps intellectual books first, even if we on a day to day basis prefer to read Donald Duck and a western series like Bill & Ben or Jim & Jeff....
Old 07-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Thank you very much for the translation, Muhler.

I commend Frederick and Mary for deciding to wait until Christian is a bit older, before making him aware of his destiny. Although I'm not sure how one can be prepared to the fact they are going to become King/Queen one day..
Old 07-21-2012, 01:23 AM
Courtier

I wonder if Frederik means he truly wasn't aware he was going to be king until he was 11, or that that was the first time the family had an explicit discussion about it? I'd find it incredible if he truly had no idea until he was eleven... surely his friends would know and would bring it up at some point, even if his parents didn't talk about it?
Old 07-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Not sure if this is the right place.

Those of you who have read UserDane's translation now know that the magazine Euroman has a very long interview with Frederik.

As a part of that portrait a friend talks about a little detail from Mary's 40th birthday celebration.
Mary fik fræk gave af Frederik - Royale | www.bt.dk
Before Mary could respond a magician took over and sawed Frederik in two....
That same friend also label Frederik as being the most informal in the royal cicle of friends: "Frederik is the quirky (guy), the jester in that company".
Judging by this article alone, I would definitely believe that Frederik has a great sense of humor. Thank you for the translation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post

A few more details are emerging from the Euroman interview.

A couple of details from an article in Billed Bladet #29, 2012.
Written by Niels Burgos.

Christian has not yet been told that he is destined to become king, M&F have decided to wait about telling him that until he one day ask that question himself.
Christian is aware that farmor Margrethe is Queen.

He has asked why he has no surname and M&F has replied that he instead have more middle names. (Than usual).

Frederik was told that he was going to be king at an Easter lunch (*) at Marselisborg in 1979, when he was eleven. That was at the same time Joachim was told he was to inherit Schackenborg. (**)

Frederik's guide and mentor in respect to his future role (and other subjects as well) was Queen Ingrid who answered his many questions.

Sometimes Frederik and Christian cycle the 7.8 kilometres to school from Amalienborg.

(*) An Easter Lunch here in DK is the big cold smorgasboard with schnapps and other delights of life. We don't have Easter eggs all over the garden, or more correctly looking for Easter eggs is very modern, istead we have yellow Easter chickens spread all over the table, With similar yellow chickens on the table cloth and tissues.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_YoS7LKVA6C...0/DSC05486.JPG
http://gittemor.dk/wp-content/upload...%C3%B8-001.jpg
A typically decorated table: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GU_TIL9WZs...2011%2B004.JPG

(**) I recall how that was completely surreal to Frederik. That Joachim was to inherit a manor, that he could grasp. But that he, Frederik, was to inherit a whole country that was beyond his comprehension. "What was I to do with a whole country"?

-----------------------------------

Another bit of trivia. According to the DRF expert in BB, Jon Bloch Skipper, Mary is an avid reader. Among her favourite books are The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolles, Music and Silence by Rose Tremain and The Fairytale of My Life, by H.C. Andersen, whom she has now read in Danish as well.

- Well, we should perhaps take such lists with pinch of salt. I don't think Mary is much different from the rest of us in the sense that if we were to mention some favourite books we would be likely to mention the more heavy and perhaps intellectual books first, even if we on a day to day basis prefer to read Donald Duck and a western series like Bill & Ben or Jim & Jeff....
I wonder if Christian is aware of his destiny even if the discussion has not been had. I'm sure if he doesn't know that one day he'll be the King, he is aware that he's part of a royal family (he had to have heard his parents referred to as 'Prince' and 'Princess', and as the article states, is aware that his Grandmother is the Queen). However, I think it's a wise decision to wait to have a formal discussion about this with him. He's still a young child, and needs time to just be, rather than start stressing over about what his future holds. Mary and Frederik strike me as very intelligent and reasonable parents, who know what is best for their children's well-being and development.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Personally, I am suprised Christian does not know he will be King someday. It makes me wonder if other children like him (Elisabeth, Ingrid, Amalia, Leonor) know what their position is.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:44 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
I wonder if Frederik means he truly wasn't aware he was going to be king until he was 11, or that that was the first time the family had an explicit discussion about it? I'd find it incredible if he truly had no idea until he was eleven... surely his friends would know and would bring it up at some point, even if his parents didn't talk about it?
I agree. By the age of 11, he was well aware that his mother was Queen, and that his grandfather before her was King. He must have worked it out before this that he would be King.

As for Mary reading Eckhard Tolle, wow, good for her. I tried to read it. Didn't get very far.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:39 PM
Heir Apparent

That he has already asked why he doesn't have a surname shows what an observant little boy he is. He'll figure it out before not too long.

Christian looks to be such a happy child. Isabella also, when she isn't poking her tongue out or licking windows

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 07-22-2012, 12:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
That he has already asked why he doesn't have a surname shows what an observant little boy he is. He'll figure it out before not too long.

Christian looks to be such a happy child. Isabella also, when she isn't poking her tongue out or licking windows
Well if his parents don't tell him someone else will, maybe a kid in school or a reporter or he will read it in one of the glossy magazines that track his parents comings and goings.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Exactly my thoughts. Parents, even Crown Princely parents, can only monitor the intake of information so much. The rest comes down to environmental exposure.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 07-22-2012, 02:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
Judging by this article alone, I would definitely believe that Frederik has a great sense of humor. Thank you for the translation.

I wonder if Christian is aware of his destiny even if the discussion has not been had. I'm sure if he doesn't know that one day he'll be the King, he is aware that he's part of a royal family (he had to have heard his parents referred to as 'Prince' and 'Princess', and as the article states, is aware that his Grandmother is the Queen). However, I think it's a wise decision to wait to have a formal discussion about this with him. He's still a young child, and needs time to just be, rather than start stressing over about what his future holds. Mary and Frederik strike me as very intelligent and reasonable parents, who know what is best for their children's well-being and development.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
Personally, I am suprised Christian does not know he will be King someday. It makes me wonder if other children like him (Elisabeth, Ingrid, Amalia, Leonor) know what their position is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Well if his parents don't tell him someone else will, maybe a kid in school or a reporter or he will read it in one of the glossy magazines that track his parents comings and goings.
You are welcome Daria_S & Artemisia

I think Christian already now has a vaque idea about him destined to be king, just like Frederik before him at that age.
Probably more so, because Frederik lived a more sheltered life when he was six years old. The press kept a much more respectful distance and with only one TV channel and no Internet, if would have been easier to keep him away from information about himself. - Until that Easter day when, bang, it dawned on him in earnest that he was going to be king!
There must have been a lot of thoughts and questions going through the mind of this eleven year old boy and perhaps he didn't know who to talk to about it, except for his mormor, Queen Ingrid. - And this was at an age when children couldn't just pop over to visit or pick up a phone when they wanted to get in touch with their grandparents.
Another thing is that QMII and PH didn't bring Frederik with them on the job, so that he got a feeling of what it really means to be a Monarch and what such a character is doing. He was just different, with this huge omnious black cloud hanging over his future. Add to that he was, and still is, a sensitive child.

Christian in contrast is different. He has already been with his parents and grandparents on the job, he is used to be in the public glare and he clearly has a lot of self confidence.
I also think he will ask "the question" sooner than Frederik did and that it will be easier for him to accept, and certainly something less omnious, because he is already a part of role.

Judging from the Dutch, Danish and Norwegian CP couples, who are good friends, it looks to me like they have been discussing the subject of how to prepare their children and as far as I can tell thay use a similar approach about letting their children get used to their future roles.
Victoria and Daniel will probably follow a similar path and most likely benefit from the experiences of the others.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Aristocracy

"Freddy, one day you will be the king! Now be a good lad and please pass the schnapps."
Old 07-27-2012, 01:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Christian will know soon. He has access to the internet and so do his friends. Mary said on an interview once that he's into technology - he can find out for himself via iPad or however. I just hope M & F tell him before he finds out another way.

(...)
Old 08-06-2012, 03:01 AM
Royal Highness

Saturday (two days ago) I visited 'The Flying Superkids' show with my little daughter. And guess who took her children to the show too? My crown princess did

We saw Mary with Christian and Isabella and they seemed to enjoy the show, just like me and my daughter. Isabella hugged and kissed her mother several times during the show. They were totally down to earth and behaved like any other family. I did not even saw a security guards (although I'm sure they were there )

Mary, Christian and Isabella together with The Flying Superkids:
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...36354596_n.jpg
Old 08-06-2012, 03:09 AM
Courtier

In a recent edition of a gossip mag here (New idea and Womans Day) there were pictures of the Danish family at some family gathering (HM, Prince Henri, The Cp and Princess, one of the queens sisters and Prince Christian, princess Isabelle and Prince Vincent.) The photos concentrated heavily on Vincent. He was dressed in red trousers and a purple shirt. The thing is that there was no sign of Josephine. There were photos of all the family posing together but Josephine continued to be missing. Does anyone know why?
Old 08-06-2012, 03:36 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roskilde
Saturday (two days ago) I visited 'The Flying Superkids' show with my little daughter. And guess who took her children to the show too? My crown princess did

We saw Mary with Christian and Isabella and they seemed to enjoy the show, just like me and my daughter. Isabella hugged and kissed her mother several times during the show. They were totally down to earth and behaved like any other family. I did not even saw a security guards (although I'm sure they were there )

Mary, Christian and Isabella together with The Flying Superkids:
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...36354596_n.jpg
That is absolutely delightful! You and your daughter are very lucky. Glad to hear that you had a great time. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearghas
In a recent edition of a gossip mag here (New idea and Womans Day) there were pictures of the Danish family at some family gathering (HM, Prince Henri, The Cp and Princess, one of the queens sisters and Prince Christian, princess Isabelle and Prince Vincent.) The photos concentrated heavily on Vincent. He was dressed in red trousers and a purple shirt. The thing is that there was no sign of Josephine. There were photos of all the family posing together but Josephine continued to be missing. Does anyone know why?
I believe you saw pictures from the annual summer photo shoot. There's a separate thread discussing that, and it has lots of great pictures. Little Josephine wasn't feeling well, so she didn't participate. Hope this helps.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

The thread with the mentioned photo session can be found here:

** Annual Photo Shoots & Holidays At Gråsten Slot: 2003, 2005-2012 **
Old 08-08-2012, 02:00 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Please note that the discussion about the newest official pics of the Danish royal children is already led at the following thread, double posts have been removed:

** Christian, Isabella, Vincent and Josephine, News Part 1: February 2011 - **.

And please note as well that all pics and posts related to the Olympics should be made at our extra threads, for example this one:

** Royals Who Are Attending **

Thanks for your understanding!
Old 08-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Translation of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #33, 2012.

Where a Tilde Andersen asks: Do the royals buy their clothes themselves. Is it known how big Mary's budget for clothes is?

Jon Bloch Skipper replies: The members of the DRF do actually shop in stores here at home.
The Crown Princess have often been seen at Strøget (the main pedestrian street) in Copenhagen, but she also has a stylist who shop for her.
Apart from that some of her clothes are tailor made, just as she recieves both clothes, shoes, bags and jewellery as gifts. Many designers will, as you know, give their right arm to see her in one of their creations.
The budget for clothes of the Crown Princess is a part of her privacy (*) but there is no doubt that she is spending way more money than average. However it should be mentioned that she is known for recycling her clothes and that her most important task is to represent Denmark.

(*) Which means that even if Jon Bloch Skipper knew and published her budget, he could end up in court for violating Mary's privacy, and he would almost be dead certain to lose.