General News about Frederik, Mary and Family 1: August 2007 - February 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Already people, for and against, note that the interview along with the happy family and couple photos seems out of place/dare I say forced (which may be too harsh of a word, in my opinion.)

Sometimes it is best to be simple or not to say anything at all; just a brief "We're doing well and thank you for the well wishes, we appreciate it." Instead of going into an extensive diatribe.

:)

Considering the fact that some people will allways rip to pieces whatever this couple does it wouldn't make a difference. If one wants to find fault with something one will find it no matter what.

I believe in general a lot people, especially Danes, will enjoy this pictures and the interview tremendously. Only few will remember Trine Villemann and her book. Most people will be hard pressed to find the desperate Crown Princess, painted by Trine especially in interviews, in this pictures who show a happy and satisfied young woman and mother. The same goes for Frederik too. Hard to believe this man should still waste a thought on one of his former girlfriends.

I am a bit bored with all these suggestions what might go on behind closed doors or that their photoshoot was purely enforced or posed in order to calm down some rumours although I think that F & M's way of dealing with the media is not exactly helpful. I have already commented on the shoot with the children, I thought the pics were lovely and not staged at all.

I'd like to add that

- FOR MY PERSONAL TASTE, the shoot with the two of them is a bit too much, some pics are really nice but in general it's quite unnecessary to publish that many pics, two or three would have been enough. They are not models but the CP couple, after all.

- FOR MY PERSONAL TASTE, they reveal far too much. All these personal interviews, eg the one in NY or this one, talking about detailed issues of their feelings or private lifes (such as Fred's childhood or where the children sleep), does open a door for all kind of speculations or tabloid articles. I wonder why they cannot keep some issues to themselves. In total this is quite over the top. The pics could have been merged to one series with let's say ten pics and everyone would have been happy. Why this interview. Just don't get it. I personally don't think it's staged or done with the sole purpose of demonstrating a happy marriage but I can understand why people do believe it's exactly like that. I rather believe it has been done because they want some nice PR for themselves as especially the last half of 2007 has been quite unkind.

I don't think that their marriage is in trouble at all and regarding all those posts claiming their marriage must be in trouble as they don't produce these loving looks & gestures as eg the Asturias couple - I don't read too much into it as some people simply don't prefer to show their feelings in public. Some behave quite emotional, some rather rational but both types are able to live a happy relationship. And I still remember a certain british CP couple who was able to fool the public for almost about a decade with loving gestures and lovely Xmas cards until the world finally had to read and could not believe what actually had happend behind closed doors. Loving looks & gestures or missing loving looks & gestures don't prove anything - either way, at least for royals, actors or other people who depend on the public's mercy or goodwill.

Considering the fact that some people will allways rip to pieces whatever this couple does it wouldn't make a difference. If one wants to find fault with something one will find it no matter what.

I know you are right, and I am the one that always looks for the rainbows regardless of the gray clouds. I just think all the young royals are doing an amazing job of raising their families and trying to do their duties.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, however, some may view it as making the situation slightly worse. Already people, for and against, note that the interview along with the happy family and couple photos seems out of place/dare I say forced (which may be too harsh of a word, in my opinion.) Do you understand what I mean? If that is their silent tool, as you stated, some may view it as having back fired.

Perhaps the Crown Prince couple should not have released the 34 new photos along with an extensive interview addressing negative allegations, Frederik's horrible childhood, and so on.

From my perspective, it would have been better to release one or two photos of the family as well as addressing specific issues (i.e. how the kids are doing, etc.) To discuss anything more is going a bit overboard.

Sometimes it is best to be simple or not to say anything at all; just a brief "We're doing well and thank you for the well wishes, we appreciate it." Instead of going into an extensive diatribe.

Please don't get me wrong, as an American I admire and support the DRF and have been interested in them for a long time; so please don't take my thoughts as a negative.

I understand your view and agree with your overall point, except I don't think it has or will backfire. Those who dislike the couple will view the pictures with cynicism as always, they'll find something where none exist and that's never going to change. However, those who are pro or in the middle will be happy to see the happy family in case they had doubts. The pictures are indeed beautiful, even if the numbers are excessive. And, unless the went to drama school, they can't fake those smiles.:flowers:

I'm not even considering those people simply because, like you stated, "will allways rip to pieces whatever this couple does..." However, there are many who don't feel strongly one way or the other who would disagree with you regarding this statement: "...will enjoy this pictures and the interview tremendously..."

My point is why add fuel to the fire? Isn't it best to ignore those who try and bring you down? Isn't it best to turn the other cheek and as a result one will be the better person? The whole book situation really didn't affect the DRF or specifically TCP all that much, so why push or hint, slightly, to it? The same supporters of TCP are no different than those who say negative things about Mary and Frederik. It's unfortunate that both sides cannot see that.

As for the 34 photos and extensive interview, I don't think it was necessary. Simplicity is stronger in the end.

Finally, I want to thank those for participating in an interesting as well as thoughtful discussion so far. Keep it up.

FOR MY PERSONAL TASTE, the shoot with the two of them is a bit too much, some pics are really nice but in general it's quite unnecessary to publish that many pics, two or three would have been enough. They are not models but the CP couple, after all.

- FOR MY PERSONAL TASTE, they reveal far too much. All these personal interviews, eg the one in NY or this one, talking about detailed issues of their feelings or private lifes (such as Fred's childhood or where the children sleep), does open a door for all kind of speculations or tabloid articles. I wonder why they cannot keep some issues to themselves. In total this is quite over the top. The pics could have been merged to one series with let's say ten pics and everyone would have been happy. Why this interview. Just don't get it. I personally don't think it's staged or done with the sole purpose of demonstrating a happy marriage but I can understand why people do believe it's exactly like that. I rather believe it has been done because they want some nice PR for themselves as especially the last half of 2007 has been quite unkind.

I concur. Adding more to the bonfire than necessary. The more one (specifically they) puts out there the more the masses will begin to speculate and question as well as ask themselves, "Why?"

Jeez, it's Christmas guys! Can't we just look at some nice photos without negative thoughts for a change?

Some of the photos are very nice, some of them are a little so-so IMO. Is that their real Christmas tree? If so, why is it so small? :neutral:

I may be cynical, but I can't help but wonder why now? If they want their private life to be private why have pictures like this inside their home? Could they not have done some photos at a different location? (think Willem & Maxima) As for other royals, Spanish Christmas cards are a tradition for many years, Norwegians seem to have decided on Christmas and summer photo shoots, as for the others I don't know. Is this going to be a new tradition with the crownprince couple, because once you open the door to your private life it is hard to shut it again.

Well, why not now? It is Christmas, after all, and I'm guessing people in Denmark are happy to see the young couple with their family.

Their kids are adorable, and I enjoyed seeing their parents as a couple. What beautiful grounds! Is that by their home?

Jeez, it's Christmas guys! Can't we just look at some nice photos without negative thoughts for a change?

Some of the photos are very nice, some of them are a little so-so IMO. Is that their real Christmas tree? If so, why is it so small? :neutral:

Thanks JessRulz you are so right! Maybe the Christmas tree is for the children?

Wow...so much animosity over a bunch of pictures.

Anyway, I love all the photos. Fred and Mary are such a beautiful couple and they have two beautiful children. I hope they can just ignore all the rumours about them, because they are just a natural, beautiful family. They should have nothing to worry about. I don't see anything forced about their pictures, just a couple in love with one another.

Isabella's hair seems to have lightened up :) It seems Christian and Felix will be the family blondes, and Nikolai and Isabella will be the brunettes! Also, about the tree, it might be the children's tree. In my family, we have a big tree to put presents under, and then the little kids get to decorate their own small tree, so maybe that's what they did, especially so that a huge tree wouldn't dwarf the family during the photoshoot.

The same supporters of TCP are no different than those who say negative things about Mary and Frederik. It's unfortunate that both sides cannot see that.
Those who support the couple are tolerant of them, and those who don't are not, fair enough. It only gets tricky when the two sides try to understand where each is coming from. It does not have to be unfortunate if we measure our words!

As for the 34 photos and extensive interview, I don't think it was necessary. Simplicity is stronger in the end.

I personally agree with you. It's seems they had a different approach, they'll tell their own story rather than let the tabloids make it up.

Finally, I want to thank those for participating in an interesting as well as thoughtful discussion so far. Keep it up.

Yeah!!!

I concur. Adding more to the bonfire than necessary. The more one (specifically they) puts out there the more the masses will begin to speculate and question as well as ask themselves, "Why?"

Who knows, maybe they are hiding something.

I officially don't know what I'm doing, sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

The captions on the pictures state that this is the Christmas tree for Christian and Isabella. :flowers:

I'm not getting into a debate on too much or too little - given that people complained about a lack of pictures around Christian's birthday, as well as Danes complaining about a lack of interviews from Mary and Frederik, I'd expect happiness that photos and interview were issued around Christmas time instead, but I suppose one cannot please everybody. :rolleyes:

As for the interview, I don't think they revealed too much, it does read just like any interview with Haakon and Mette-Marit - and, quite honestly, it did not seem as a retort to Villemann's book to me - she is not the only one, by far, who has mentioned Frederik's childhood - and in the context it was said - ie. raising their own children, it made perfect sense. When Villemann's book was brought up - by the journalist - they declined to comment on the book in particular, although they had some comments about stories being made up about them in the press.

If anything, to me, it seems like the Danish monarchy is moving in the same directions as the Norwegian, by the younger generation being a bit more down-to-earth than the older. It has been mentioned that the royal houses [organizations and families]*converse, and this does seem a bit like the interview and photos around Sverre Magnus' christening :rolleyes:

Wow...so much animosity over a bunch of pictures.

I disagree. It is simply a discussion that has filled the last page and a half rather than empty posts, that's all. :) If one looks at this discussion as a negative, from the beginning, then that will be the outcome, from their perspective, in the end.

I officially don't know what I'm doing, sorry.

I'm not sure what you mean, but I do appreciate your opinions that you posted before.:)

no, no, I can't seem to work the quotes correctly for some reason. Everything ended up together.

I'm not getting into a debate on too much or too little - given that people complained about a lack of pictures around Christian's birthday, as well as Danes complaining about a lack of interviews from Mary and Frederik, I'd expect happiness that photos and interview were issued around Christmas time instead, but I suppose one cannot please everybody. :rolleyes:

As for the interview, I don't think they revealed too much, it does read just like any interview with Haakon and Mette-Marit - and, quite honestly, it did not seem as a retort to Villemann's book to me - she is not the only one, by far, who has mentioned Frederik's childhood - and in the context it was said - ie. raising their own children, it made perfect sense. When Villemann's book was brought up - by the journalist - they declined to comment on the book in particular, although they had some comments about stories being made up about them in the press.

If anything, to me, it seems like the Danish monarchy is moving in the same directions as the Norwegian, by the younger generation being a bit more down-to-earth than the older. It has been mentioned that the royal houses [organizations and families]*converse, and this does seem a bit like the interview and photos around Sverre Magnus' christening :rolleyes:
I think you are right here Norwegianne.

(not referrring to your post Norwegianne) - I just don't get this thread:eek: I must say that I agree with dee 4855 (#150) that there seems to be double standards for the young CP couples :cool:
I think that it is great if the Danes get a photo session of the CP couple and their young children just as they get in Norway - why is it suddenly staged and unnatural if F&M do it? And how does the argument about this being in reaction to that inconsequential book by Trine Willemann come into the equation? True, she got her limelight and her easy money - so what? Socalled 'royal experts' in all monarchies make these kind of 'scandalous' books about various royals - and the books are forgotten just as quickly. Judging from some of the posts here one would think that Trine WIllemann and her book is still a hot topic in every second Danish home - that has totally escaped my notice I'm afraid :rolleyes:. To me, it seems that TW's book mostly lives on royalty boards (and probably in her own blog). As Norwegianna says it is not as if F&M goes into a lengthy discussion about that book in the interview; they are asked a question, answer is and the interview moves on. IMO, it is such a pity and wholly unnecessary to link the interview and the photos to that one book.

Does anyone know when this interview was first discussed and scheduled with Berlingske Tidende?

I will save my copy of Berlingske today and read the rest of the interview in the Christmas days - and enjoy the photos.

Hmm, but honestly I don´t remember, that MM&Haakon did such an long interview (maybe the Mette Marit book would have told more, but some wise move did prevent that) And IMO there was actually a lot of the media criticism discussed. E.g. Frederik´s loonely childhood, bad press itsself, being too much into fashion...
I can just recommend everyone to self read it (or to hope for a complete translation) and to watch the development resulting out of it.
With the Swedish Royals I am often enjoying interviews, but at the same time, they often "frustrate" me and make the Royals more ordinary. Esp. if they are discussing the Monarchy itself :wacko:
The more years, I am Royalwatching, the more I am admiring the British Queen for her wisdom not to get extended interviews on this&that done! Courts don´t work like the managers behind the career of some docu soap starlets. For them also bad news are good news. For Royals it´s IMO better to keep a low profile and to get some subtle hints of "glory&harmony" into the game. "Defence" is IMO at least the worst strategy, they can get into.

BTW I am wondering, if actually really many danes were dreaming of such an interview. I am remembering a journalist criticising them for it. But I guess he would have rather wanted some news ;)

I´ve noted of late some positive tendencies in Mary´s and Frederik´s approach to work. It seems they have changed their minds a bit and got some PR help (this Lis woman is gone, isn´t she), but today (or whenever this interview and couple shooting was done) this PR department "overshot" things a bit...and IMO it would have been wiser to simply follow traditions (Xmas card) and to let future deeds speak. Words of defence and these pics were a bit too much. This doesn´t mean, that I can´t see, that the interview is interesting and the pics for some ppl nice.:flowers:

... Lovely to see them including ziggy in the pictures

I very much liked that too. Ziggy is a real part of the family, there's something very reassuring about how well these people are treating their pet.
Mary looked incredible - loved her elegant yet simple winter coat. Nothing overdone, just simple elegance, love it.

Little Christian is very cute too, Isabella looks like her grandma on some pictures!

I loved the new photo's. :flowers:

It's so great to see how the children are growing. Isabella has changed so much. Christmas is such an exciting time when you have children that age. I remember it well.

What a wonderful time to give an interview and do a photo montage. After all the moaning about the private birthday events, this was worth the wait. It is nice to see little Isabella and how she appears to be the spitting image of her father, his genes certainly do dominate in his offspring!

Like the pictures taken during the first year, this latest set is once again appealing to those of us who like this couple. I got the same warm feeling as I did when Phillipe and Mathilde did their family montage a year or two ago.

I just don't get this thread

With all due respect what you are confused about?

The discussion, so far, is varied with members expressing their opinions regarding today's photos. There will be some who disagree with their fellow members assessment of the photos, but why should anyone knock them for it? Or note that they wrong for having an opinion that is vastly different from the rest of the readers? You also noted the "double standard" theory, UD, but from my perspective I don't see it at all. :) And that's okay.

Second, not everyone sees these latest photos as being "staged", and if that is their opinion of the situation shouldn't others at least respect it? Then if they want, they could counterargue it.

Third, I think it's important to have a discussion rather than this, or any other topic, filled with empty posts. I'm sure there are some members who would agree.

And how does the argument about this being in reaction to that inconsequential book by Trine Willemann come into the equation?

There have been several references to Trine swirling on the 'Net.

True, she got her limelight and her easy money - so what? Socalled 'royal experts' in all monarchies make these kind of 'scandalous' books about various royals - and the books are forgotten just as quickly

I disagree with you. That book was one of the first, within this new decade, to seriously question the Danish monarchy. Is it a blasphemous thing to question their status (place in today's society) in the 21st century? Of course not. Does that mean that book will go away and everyone will forget about? No, not in my opinion; however, there will be those who will continue to lamblast that book, which is their right, but to say that it will fade into oblivion essentially isn't valid.

Judging from some of the posts here one would think that Trine WIllemann and her book is still a hot topic in every second Danish home - that has totally escaped my notice I'm afraid

Of course not, UD, that's an over exaggeration.:) However, if someone brings it up, again, people will respond to it.

As Norwegianna says it is not as if F&M goes into a lengthy discussion about that book in the interview

Of course not, their supposed to dodge that question or briefly acknowledge it and then move on, which is what they did.

IMO, it is such a pity and wholly unnecessary to link the interview and the photos to that one book.

Not everyone did. Perhaps for some it was a culmination of events that led up to it.

I understand and respect your opinion, UD, but I think it's healthy to discuss things, even if it's over silly photos. Otherwise, what is the point of a discussion board?

:flowers:

Love the pictures, love the family, love the interview. People see what they wish. Personally, I think they are great! They should continue upon the path they are on and not change a thing.

Last edited:
Just really love this family. They look united and beautiful. Plus its the first time we see Isabella with her brother and mom and dad. The pictures look great. :flowers:

I'm often amused at how my unoffensive yet supportive comments, no matter the length, are occasionally stricken from the exchange.

The photo's are great. A beautiful family and from the interview (though I've always believed it) I gather they share the same common values as many, myself included.

Isabella is certainly the granddaughter of Margrethe II. There is no mistaking that..hehe..And when looking at Isabella and Christian, it's easy to see just how much Christian resembles his mum.

Last edited:
May I refer you to TRF Empty Post Rule, Madame Royale:

What are empty posts?

Empty posts are very short replies which add no value to the thread and do not contribute to or advance the discussion. Since these posts interrupt the flow of discussion, the moderators routinely remove them.​

For further reading please click [URL="http://www.theroyalforums.com/?page=faq"]here[/URL].

Back on topic.:flowers:

...which add no value to the thread and do not contribute to or advance the discussion

Oh! Then I've seen many empty posts, yet they've contained around 100 words or more...hmm...hehe...j/k.

Thanks for that, GT :flowers:

I'm quite fond of the decor in Mary and Frederik's private family apartments too. The perceived ambience suit's them.

Last edited:
Yes, however, some may view it as making the situation slightly worse. Already people, for and against, note that the interview along with the happy family and couple photos seems out of place/dare I say forced (which may be too harsh of a word, in my opinion.) Do you understand what I mean? If that is their silent tool, as you stated, some may view it as having back fired.

Perhaps the Crown Prince couple should not have released the 34 new photos along with an extensive interview addressing negative allegations, Frederik's horrible childhood, and so on.

From my perspective, it would have been better to release one or two photos of the family as well as addressing specific issues (i.e. how the kids are doing, etc.) To discuss anything more is going a bit overboard.

Please don't get me wrong, as an American I admire and support the DRF and have been interested in them for a long time; so please don't take my thoughts as a negative.

I completely agree. I just got done looking at the photos at DRW site. Beautiful pics, don't get me wrong. But the pics brought back reasons why I sometimes am not all that fond of this couple. I have changed my opinions on them over recent months and I have no problem with them for the most part. And it is common with most of these royal couples to photo shoots such as this. But it was a little overboard with this couple. The pictures of just them as a couple and then the pictures of the family all lovely but too much. I'm not necessarily speaking about the amount of pics because the Dutch cp's gave 60(I think). To me it's the way they are posing and the things they are doing, its just a little too over the top. Rehearsed! Are they trying to remind us they are still together and in love? That's what I was thinking when looking at the pics, simply too over the top in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom