Danish Royal Family, Current Events Part 4: June 2012 - May 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reigning Couple will hold an evening banquet for government, parliament and the European Parliaments Danish members at Christiansborg Palace, Copenhagen, at. 19.30.

Se billederne: Politikerne til hofbal hos dronningen | www.bt.dk

Marie is wearing her new tiara.

Frederik looks handsome as usual;), and Mary looks good coming from her recent trip in NY

and, as a Canadian, I am pleased to see one of the ministers wearing a beautiful sealskin jacket! Thanks to google translate, I understand that minister Norby is showing her support for the seal hunt, that WWF has declared sustainable. I do hope that the many activists who have complained about Canada's seal hunt will back off their anti seal hunt campaign, as I so want our Grand Banks fish back! (overfishing and seals are the culprits!)

why do margrethe hold this dinner?..

it quite embarrassing but there are some of the politicians that I can not remember exactly who are..i have to read a little more policy i think!!

must say frederik looks so handsome with no beard..i like the beard to him..but have just missed his more younger and fresh look witout it;-) marys gown is stunning, but good fred hold his wife hands..she must be so jetlagged..or at least i would be;-)

photo from the dinner from billede bladet
Regentparret holdt fest for Folketinget | Billed Bladet

Both Mary and Marie are wearing recycled dresses. Lovely to finally see Marie in her Flora Danica Tiara.

why do margrethe hold this dinner?..

it quite embarrassing but there are some of the politicians that I can not remember exactly who are..i have to read a little more policy i think!!

must say frederik looks so handsome with no beard..i like the beard to him..but have just missed his more younger and fresh look witout it;-) marys gown is stunning, but good fred hold his wife hands..she must be so jetlagged..or at least i would be;-)

photo from the dinner from billede bladet
Regentparret holdt fest for Folketinget | Billed Bladet

The ball for members of the Parliament, as well as members of the European Parliament is held once in each period, i.e. every four years or so.

Don't feel embarrassed about not recognising some of the politicians, - with monthly reshuffles in the present government, nor can I.

Here is a video from BB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YswynRCg_Co

In ths pretty long clip, we can hear the reporter Trine Larsen ask the various guests about their dresses.

Good grief! Notice how PH walks when the DRF enters the hall. Either his back was very poor or he has grown old fast.

Last edited:
Thanks for the extra pics. I find it odd that they serve the food before the guests have been seated. Is this a traditional thing or some other reason for it? I would think the food would go cold by the time people sat down to eat.

To my quiet delight the court has whaked the politicians at the ball mildly on the head.
Kongehuset: Selfies til royale begivenheder er ikke altid okay - Politik | www.bt.dk
You see quit a number of the politicians were busy making selfies and posting then to their Twitter and Facebook account just prior to the dinner, while they were still waiting for the DRF to enter.
That has led to some debate at to whether that's disrepectful towards the DRF or any other host for that matter.
Personally I think so, unless you expect a call about something extremely important or is on stand-by (like a doctor) you can turn the blasted things off for a couple of hours.

Anyway, the journalists have asked the DRF PR chief, Lene Balleby and she is diplomatic in her reply: "We would difinetly be more restrictive if it was in connection with an official visit than (the ball) tonight"

She goes on saying it must be up to the politicians themselves to set a limit: "We have confidence that the guests find a level, which they think is in line with what they are attending".

Thanks for the extra pics. I find it odd that they serve the food before the guests have been seated. Is this a traditional thing or some other reason for it? I would think the food would go cold by the time people sat down to eat.

Not that I know of.
Perhaps something went wrong so that the aperitiff couldn't be in place in time?
(Perhaps the staff couldn't pass the hordes of politicians taking selfies and updating their accounts)?

B.T. has created a gallery of the so-called "best and worst" dresses.

Mary and Frederik are pictured on picture 8 and Mary is lucky, she has fallen in the best dress category with B.T's words "adorable Mary in a Spring dress".

But some others were not that lucky. Try to scroll through the gallery, it's quite fun, there are some dresses where you think "what?". The dress on the second picture for an example. B.T. wonder what it is our politician wears "an orange quilt or an air mattress?"

Our Prime Minister's dress looks, as always, like it is taken straight out of a fairytale Cinderella story.

Enjoy...

Vattæppe og housecoat: Her er hofballets bedst og værst klædte | www.bt.dk

Last edited:
2 more pics

Frederik and Mary
http://www.bunte.de/sites/default/f...60x915/public/dana-01345072.jpg?itok=Y_2b5u5Z :wub:

Joachim and Marie
http://www.bunte.de/sites/default/f...60x915/public/dana-01345121.jpg?itok=rE6mk36l

A picture of the ball dance
http://kongehuset.dk/materialemappe...ved-aftenselskab-pa-christiansborg-slot-2.img
I can spot the queen, towards the upper middle part of the photo
Benedikte towards the bottom left
Mary and Marie, towards the stage middle left of the photo
i think Joachim is standing with Marie...and Frederik with Mary?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is quite common that the starter is already served when people arrives at these big parties. I don´t think the starter will go cold, as it already is cold :)

A picture of the ball dance
http://kongehuset.dk/materialemappe...ved-aftenselskab-pa-christiansborg-slot-2.img
I can spot the queen, towards the upper middle part of the photo
Benedikte towards the bottom left
Mary and Marie, towards the stage middle left of the photo
i think Joachim is standing with Marie...and Frederik with Mary?
They are dancing "Les Lanciers", I guess :)

Wow, it's almost rare to see royals dancing at a ball.

This video show how to dance "Les Lanciers." (Or to be exact, it shows the 1st tour of the dance. Cause there are many tours and the Lancier can for less good dancers, as myself, feel endless...)

Both members of our royal family as well as their guests have stated that this is the evening's climax and always creates a lot of fun.

Ringkjøbing Gymnasium: Les Lanciers tur 1 - YouTube

Last edited:
No, not here in Denmark. We often see photos of our royals dancing :flowers: I remember a photo of the then Pss Alexandra in a tour of "Les Lanciers" - that photo made it to the cover IIRC :flowers:
This video show how to dance "Les Lanciers." (Or to be exact, it shows the 1st tour of the dance. Cause there are many tours and the Lancier can for less good dancers, as myself, feel endless...)

Both members of our royal family as well as their guests have stated that this is the evening's climax and always creates a lot of fun.
Yes, there´s 5 tours in "LL" and it´s soooooo wonderful and funny to dance :ROFLMAO::flowers:

:previous: It was also during Les Lanciers that Frederik in one of the turns lost his fragile porcelain elephant from his Order. Fortunately, and quite amazingly, they found it unbroken later :D

Yes, there´s 5 tours in "LL" and it´s soooooo wonderful and funny to dance :ROFLMAO::flowers:

Absolutely. Everyone smiles and laughs from start to finish, especially because it never happens to dance Les Lanciers flawlessly :lol:

I don't know, I think we see it relatively often to the big balls.

Here's some pictures of the royals dancing to the balls

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/lotte52/drws2/07/8-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/gigi_ho/drws/n8.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/lotte52/drws2/07/KONG_HARALD_70__R_v_519151h.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/lotte52/drws2/07/7.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/lotte52/drws2/07/baile8-a.jpg

Last edited:
Some of those pictures are on the FrederiketMary blog. I think they are from King Harald's 70th birthday celebrations. Also in that series is a picture of Queen Maxima dancing with Prince Henrik. She is in an advanced stage of pregnancy, and they are both having a good laugh.

I really like the picture of Frederik and Mary dancing. When you think of a Prince and Princess, that's what you think of - young, beautiful, (both of them) in love, dressed to the nines and dancing at a fancy ball. Talk about a fairy tale!

:previous: It was also during Les Lanciers that Frederik in one of the turns lost his fragile porcelain elephant from his Order. Fortunately, and quite amazingly, they found it unbroken later :D
Thas right, I completely forgot about that :lol::lol::lol:

I really like the picture of Frederik and Mary dancing. When you think of a Prince and Princess, that's what you think of - young, beautiful, (both of them) in love, dressed to the nines and dancing at a fancy ball. Talk about a fairy tale!
IIRC, then CPss Mary is pregnant with Pss Isabella on these photos :flowers:

It is quite common that the starter is already served when people arrives at these big parties. I don´t think the starter will go cold, as it already is cold :)

They are dancing "Les Lanciers", I guess :)

What a wonderful custom; both healthy (dancing off that delicious dinner) and sociable! Is les lanciers taught in schools or does one have to go to a private teacher to learn it? Is it something everyone dances or only a certain social class? Danish board members; Muhler?! Please provide some more enlightenment in yet another charming aspect of Danish culture!:flowers:

What a wonderful custom; both healthy (dancing off that delicious dinner) and sociable! Is les lanciers taught in schools or does one have to go to a private teacher to learn it? Is it something everyone dances or only a certain social class? Danish board members; Muhler?! Please provide some more enlightenment in yet another charming aspect of Danish culture!:flowers:

Well, never having danced les lanciers, I'll pass on this one and leave it to FasterB & Roskilde. :)

:previous:

I'll try... :flowers:

It's not like we are being taught 'Les Lancier' in our elementary schools, but almost all pupils learn the dance if they graduate high school. Les Lancier are learned because it's this dance we dance to our big celebration when you finish high school (I guess it's called the prom?) I remember we spent the last about 10 hours of gym to learn Les Lanciers so we all could be ready for the prom.

By the way, the dancers in the video are also students from a Danish High School

:previous:

I'll try... :flowers:

It's not like we are being taught 'Les Lancier' in our elementary schools, but almost all pupils learn the dance if they graduate high school. Les Lancier are learned because it's this dance we dance to our big celebration when you finish high school (I guess it's called the prom?) I remember we spent the last about 10 hours of gym to learn Les Lanciers so we all could be ready for the prom.

By the way, the dancers in the video are also students from a Danish High School
I learned to dance "Les Lanciers" whne I was in elementary school and then again in high school and later on in life :)

I have danced it to friends weddings and to a christmas party with my choir. So I guess we dance it a lot in my "society circles" :)

I was first taught les lanciers in first form (5. klasse) (that is, however, not mandatory as you don't actually use it till the end of sixth form) and we're learning it again here in upper sixth (2.HF/3.g). It's great fun.

The FrederikandMary.blog has some HQ pictures of Mary arriving to "her" table. You can see plenty of details if you zoom.

http://frederiketmary.f.r.pic.centerblog.net/o/IMG_2961.jpg
http://frederiketmary.f.r.pic.centerblog.net/o/IMG_3198.jpg
http://frederiketmary.f.r.pic.centerblog.net/o/IMG_3203.jpg
http://frederiketmary.f.r.pic.centerblog.net/o/IMG_3206.jpg
Image du Blog frederiketmary.centerblog.net

I'm pretty sure the man at Marys left hand is Mogens Jensen, our new Minister of Development - he and Mary will in all probability get to work closely together as she did with our former Minister of Development, Christian Friis Bach (he attend the dinner as well.) Already next week will Mary and Mogens Jensen attend a meeting together at the Foreign Ministry.

Last edited:
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #12, 2014.
Written by Trine Larsen.

As you know the DRF were hosts at a gala dinner for members of the Parliament and well as the European Parliament. That is held every three or four years, depending on the general elections.

The whole thing took place at Christiansborg and there were 349 guests who sat at 45 round tables.
The Music Corps of the Royal Lifeguards Regiment played during the dinner and afterwards there was dancing, including Les Lancier.

Mary had arrived by plane from New Your just five hours before the gala started, so she's been very busy! She wore a dress by Gerda Lynggaard.

QMII wore a dress by Birgitte Thaulow, while Benedikte wore a silk dress by Mariano Fortuny. The caption says that it's from the 1920's but I don't know if the dress is that old, or whether it's the design.

Our Marie wore for the first time the Flora Danica tiara, designed by Anja Blinkenberg. The three large flowers symbolise her, Joachim and bette Henrik. But Athena is there as well, in the form of a diamond set in the central flower - she hadn't after all been born back then.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom