The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 03:28 PM
Majesty

Dronningen overrækker nyt Tapperhedskors til hjemvendt soldat
I see from the DRF calendar and the Defence site that QMII will present the Cross of Valour (Tapperhedskorset) to a soldier who has just returned home from duty in Afghanistan.
That presentation will take place Saturday at 10.00, at Kastellet. - Which is a part of the fortifications around Copenhagen.

Frederik will also be present.

This is a new order. And it's the first time it will be presented.
Another soldier will be awarded the Defence Medal of Valour (Forsvarets Tapperhedsmedalje) that soldier has also returned from Afghanistan.
This is also the first time the Monarch is presenting orders for bravery in person.

The soldiers are not informed that they will get their orders. Their relatives have been quietly gathered, so this should be a surprise to them.

The Cross of Valour is now the highest order for bravery in DK. - Equivalent to the Victoria Cross.
So far there have been only one medal for bravery, the Medal of Valour. And that was instituted about twelve fifteen years ago.

There has been some critisism because Danish soldiers have for almost twenty years regularly been involved in combat, and intensive combat for several years. And there being only one medal for bravery meant that it was very difficult to obtain it and indeed most who recieved that medal are dead. So there has been a wish for a medal covering feats of bravery that are outstanding but not exceptional. That problem has now been addressed.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Here are some pics of Queen Margrethe and Crown Prince Frederik at the ceremony today, November 18, 2011.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** sn.dk gallery **

Old 01-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Administrator

All posts discussing the Danish New Year Courts have been moved to the correct thread:

** Danish New Year Courts: 2004, 2006-2012 **
Old 04-21-2012, 08:41 AM
Majesty

The DRF, I.e. the Regent Couple, Frederik, Mary, Joachim and our Marie will very shortly attend the funeral of Mærsk McKinney Møller.

Billed Bladet wrote a little bit about the connection between Mr. Møller, as he was always known and addressed here in DK, and the DRF.

Summary of appendix in Billed Bladet #16, 2012.
Ven med tre kongelige generationer - Friend with three royal generations.
Written by Anna Johannesen, Ulrik Ulriksen and John Lautrup.

Mærsk McKinney Møller attended all official events in the DRF worth mentioning.
He and his late beloved wife Emma, were very close friends of Queen Ingrid. (*)
Mr. Møller was Queen Ingrid's finincial advisor on the other hand her green fingers and talent for gardening influenced the layout of mr. Møller's private garden.
The death of Queen Ingrid in 2000 was a hard blow to mr. Møller and he was indeed one of the few who came inside the private enclosure at Roskilde Cathedral, where Queen Ingrid and Frederik IX is buried, at Queen Ingrid's funeral.
Mærsk McKinney Møller recieved his Order of the Elephant in 2000 as one of only four ordinary Danes, who have recieved that order. He also had a close relationship with the Regent Couple, but just as significantly he also had a very close relationship to the younger generations.
He was naturally invited at M&F's wedding in 2004, where his private jet flew M&F on their honey moon to Kenya.
M&F returned the grace later on in among other places during the official state visit to Vietnam, where Mary promoted a Mærsk sponsored campain for using bicycle helmets.

Joachim, and indirectly Alexandra, were also involved with mr. Møller. As a part of his education Joachim served as an intern at Mærsk in Hong Kong, where he met a Alexandra Manley. Later on Joachim served at Mærsk in Paris.

(*) According to articles elsewhere it is believed that it was very much Queen Ingrid who was behind Mr. Møller recieving the Order of the Elephant.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:25 AM
Serene Highness

I was in Holmens Church to sing to two services today and I can tell you that the organ player and the choir (Holmens Kantori) will look sooooo nice and handsome today.

The organ player Jakob Lorentzen is in "kjole og hvidt" (Muhler, help, what´s the english word?) and his order. AFAIR, then he has the order of Dannebrog.
The choir will be in suits and nice dresses :)

I forgot to ask what they were going to sing...

But on my way home from Holmens I stood by the statue of Niels Juel and took this photo of Hr. Møller´s last journey.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:53 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Thank you for the picture of and information on the solemn occasion, FasterB.
Unless I'm much mistaken, kjole og hvidt means white-tie ensemble (or, sometimes, ceremonial robes).
Old 04-21-2012, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Here are the first pics including the royal family:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** sn.dk gallery **

** b.dk gallery: Maersks bisaettelse i billeder **

** nyhederne.tv2.dk: VIDEO: Dronningens sidste farvel til Mærsk **
Old 04-21-2012, 03:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Thank you for the picture of and information on the solemn occasion, FasterB.
Unless I'm much mistaken, kjole og hvidt means white-tie ensemble (or, sometimes, ceremonial robes).
White-tie sounds plausible In Denmark we also sometimes call it "penguin", because it looks like a penguin
Old 04-21-2012, 07:20 PM
Aristocracy

Here is a link to BT.DK with photos of QM, Prince Consort and family attending funeral of Mærsk Mckinney Møller:

Hyldet og begravet: Se billederne fra Mærsks sidste rejse | www.bt.dk

A very sad day for his family and friends. The Prime Minister also attended along with Queen Anne-Marie.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:55 AM
Majesty

An article from BT: Følsomme Frederik: Tæt på tårer ved Mærsks begravelse - Danmark | www.bt.dk
About the DRF attending the funeral.

Of interest is the picture, which is high-res. You know the drill: click Se stort billede.

Frederik is described as being moved and having red eyes when he left the church.
Queen Anne-Marie also attended the funeral.

- I noticed in some of the clips that the casket was adorned with the Order of the Elephant and the Grand Cross of the Order of Dannebrog.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Here are some additional pics from yesterday:

** ppe gallery **

** starlounge.dk.msn.com: De kongeliges farvel til Mærsk **

** purepeople: La famille royale de Danemark endeuillée aux obsèques du magnat Mc-Kinney Møller **
Old 04-22-2012, 09:08 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
- I noticed in some of the clips that the casket was adorned with the Order of the Elephant and the Grand Cross of the Order of Dannebrog.
Yes, but only inside the church. The pillow with the orders were taken off of the casket before it drove away from Holmens.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
The entire royal family participates in Maersk's funeral
Billed-Bladet - Hele kongefamilien deltager i Mærsks begravelse

Google Google Translate
Old 04-25-2012, 05:27 AM
Administrator

Crown Prince Frederik and Prince Joachim hosted a dinner at the Taffelsalen at Frederik VIII's Palæ,
Amalienborg on April 24 as a prelude to the conference "European Diabetes Leadership Forum 2012"
that will take place from April 25 - April 28, 2012.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

** kongehuset.dk: D.K.H. Kronprinsen og Prins Joachim er værter ved en middag i Frederik VIII's Palæ, Amalienborg **
Old 04-25-2012, 06:04 AM
Heir Apparent

picture gallery: Veljekset kuin ilvekset | Lehtikuva | lehtikuva.fi
Old 04-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Nice to see the two brothers at an event together
Old 04-26-2012, 01:24 PM
Majesty

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #17, 2012.
Farvel til en kær ven - Goodbye to a dear friend.
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen.

The entire DRF, minus Benedikte, attended the funeral of Mærsk McKinney Møller at Holmens Kirke = The Naval Church, where several events in the DRF have taken place.
The DRF were among others recieved by Mærsk McKinney Møller's three daughters, Leise Mærsk, Kirsten Mærsk and Ane Mærsk. One of them, can't remember who, will now take the rudder so to speak of the business.

It is no secret that the DRF are close to the Mærsk family and Joachim indeed cancelled an event in Aarhus on that same day to attend the funeral. He later explained: "It was deeply moving. I had to cancel the concert in Aarhus same evening. There I had to disappoint a protection (*) but I'm convinced there is an understanding for that. The death of Mr. Møller (**) goes before everything, so I could not attend the concert in time in the evening".

Mr. Møller was particularly fond of M&F, says the article. He certainly played an instrumental role at their wedding. When M&F left the church Frederik was noticably redeyed.
Even the otherwise composed QMII became visibly moved when she saw the casket.

(*) Something very rare. It's litterally mentioned in the press when Joachim for once cancel an event.

(**) Mr. Møller was one of the extremely few in DK who insisted on and was addressed with Mr. He was also among the extremely few outside the DRF who insisted on and was addressed with formal you. - He certainly had the power and money to have his way in that respect.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
The DRF were among others recieved by Mærsk McKinney Møller's three daughters, Leise Mærsk, Kirsten Mærsk and Ane Mærsk. One of them, can't remember who, will now take the rudder so to speak of the business.
That will be Ane Mærsk Mc-Kinney Uggla
Old 04-26-2012, 05:37 PM
Courtier

I've been doing some reading up since the funeral - this gentleman certainly had a very full and fortunate life! One thing that's confused me, though, is the family's names. Is Maersk McKinney Moller the family surname? Or was Maersk a second given name? I'm further confused by the fact that I've seen his daughters' full names written as every possible combination of their given names, Maersk, McKinney and/or Moller, and their married names!

(Incidentally, one thing I've learned this week is that I've been mentally mispronouncing 'Maersk').
Old 04-26-2012, 06:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
I've been doing some reading up since the funeral - this gentleman certainly had a very full and fortunate life! One thing that's confused me, though, is the family's names. Is Maersk McKinney Moller the family surname? Or was Maersk a second given name? I'm further confused by the fact that I've seen his daughters' full names written as every possible combination of their given names, Maersk, McKinney and/or Moller, and their married names!

(Incidentally, one thing I've learned this week is that I've been mentally mispronouncing 'Maersk').
His full name was Arnold Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller, Mærsk being a second given name or a middle name so to say. "Mærsk" was his grandfather's middle name. Also Mc-Kinney was his mother's maiden name. His daughters full names are Leise Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller, Kirsten Mærsk Mc-Kinney Olufsen (née Møller) and Ane Mærsk Mc-Kinney Uggla (née Møller).

And all this I've learned throughout the previous week

Closed Thread