The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 01:16 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
She has a very pleasant voice. But why was the speech in English and not Danish?
I wondered this too, but after listening to her speech about the worldwide award and artists, I thought it was because not all of the audience or prize recipients were Danish...So English being the universal language, I guess this is why it was used...

Old 09-16-2010, 09:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #37, 2010.
Frederik er en fantastisk støtte - Frederik is a fantastic support.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

Bornholm is known for granite, smoked herring, oddly shaped churches, glass, sunshine and pottery. They also have an gallery, Bornholms Kunstmuseum. And this is where Mary was to launch this years creamics bienale, the focus this year being on pottery, next year it will be glass and so it changes from year to year.

The weather was great when Mary flew in and she went straight to the museum where guests, onlookers and Home Guard was waiting for her. Here she was recieved by the flowergirl, Siw, who turned seven on this very day. Siw was delighted, not only did she meet Mary, she had been given a birthday present. A waffle iron. (*) The very diplomatic Siw told our reporter: "I've never tried to make waffles before, but now I'll try it", the highlight of the day was however meeting Mary. Who said to our Siw: "Is it your birthday today? A big congratulation".

Well inside the museum Mary chatted away with the artists who were exhibiting various pieces of art. (**) Mary confided to us: "We've got a good deal of ceramics/pottery at home as well".
In fact more than 30 countries are represented at this biennale, including eight ceramics artists who will be working for six weeks on Bornholm. One of them being a Tasmanian, Peter Bettaglene.
Two artists, a Dane and a Spaniard each reicieved a prize for 10.000 € for having an outstanding talent.
Mary said in her speech: "It's been four years since I was last here on this dramatic and exceptionally beautiful island. - I'm confident that nature will serve as a big source of inspiration for the many ceramics artists who are here now. - Ceramics/pottery is no longer just for practical purposes. It's exiting to see how it can be shaped in so many different ways".

As the attentive among you may have notice, Mary is pregnant and she was naturally not allowed to leave the island without answering a few questions about her pregnancy.

Q: It it different to be expecting twins rather than being pregnant with a single child?
Mary: "It hasn't been different so far. But perhaps that'll change".

Mary: "Frederik is really good at helping me during the pregnancy. He's a fantastic support for me".

Q: When will you start to cut down (on her workload) prior to the birth?
Mary: "Cut down? There is no date on that as yet. I'll do that sort of step by step".

Another reporter, Liz Rørsig cornered Frederik in Roskilde and he said: "I think Mary is handling the pregnancy well. We help and supprt each other because it is after all different this time".

(*) Yes, A waffle iron. Just what any seven year old girl wish for. Just as any wife wish for a socket wrench for her birthday....

(**) On item in particular looked to me like six or seven piggy banks performing synchronous swimming on their backs. I'm not kidding!

Old 09-27-2010, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Time to close this thread!
Thank you for your contributions
- the new thread can be found here!

Tags
crown princess mary, mary, mary donaldson