Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 8: March 2007 - March 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GlitteringTiaras

Heir Apparent
City
.a
Country
United States
Welcome to Crown Princess Mary Current Events Part 8.

The old topic, Part 7, can be found here.

Please remember to follow the forum rules and please respect others opinions if they should differ from your own.

Enjoy and Cheers!:flowers:

GT
Royal House of Denmark Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a horrid article in the latest copy of Women's Weekly...it claims that Mary is upset and lonely cos Fred is taking up with his ex-flame!!!! Really, what will they report next???????

I don't know if this is the correct place to post this question, but i will do it anyway...Who knows what the reaction would be if Mary was to give birth (unplanned of course) in another country? If the future heir to the throne of Denmark was born in Norway, just say? Because Mary and Fred just happened to "pop over" for the weekend to visit buddies, Haakon & Mette-Marit, and Mary went into labour unexpectedly...hypothetically speaking...???

Firstly, would this be allowed to happen? Is travel restricted in the last months/weeks to prevent this happening?
And if it did hypothetically happen, that the future Danish heir was born in Norway (or wherever) how would the public react...indifferently, shocked, appalled, etc?
And has it happened before with past royals not being born in their own kingdom/country?

Xeara said:
I don't know if this is the correct place to post this question, but i will do it anyway...Who knows what the reaction would be if Mary was to give birth (unplanned of course) in another country? If the future heir to the throne of Denmark was born in Norway, just say? Because Mary and Fred just happened to "pop over" for the weekend to visit buddies, Haakon & Mette-Marit, and Mary went into labour unexpectedly...hypothetically speaking...???

Firstly, would this be allowed to happen? Is travel restricted in the last months/weeks to prevent this happening?
And if it did hypothetically happen, that the future Danish heir was born in Norway (or wherever) how would the public react...indifferently, shocked, appalled, etc?
And has it happened before with past royals not being born in their own kingdom/country?

If this happened, they could do what the Dutch did back in the 1940s when they were living in Canada during the second World War. Princess Margriet was born in a Canadian hospital, but the Canadian government allowed for the area of the hospital to be Dutch territory for the birth, so that Margriet would not have dual citizenship and still be in line for the throne. So for example, if F&M were in Norway and Mary went into labour, the Danish government could ask the Norwegian government to make a small section of the country where Mary is giving birth Danish territory for the birth

However, I think that travel is not allowed after the 8th (?) month, possibly even earlier. The only time I think they let a heavily pregnant woman travel is if it is in an emergency

Just to add to this topic of a royal not being born in his or her country. Back in February when the Dutch RF went on a state visit to Turkey there were reports (whether true or not) that the Dutch RF had brought with them soil from Holland so that they could declare the land theirs just in case the unexpected happened with Princess Maxima.

Also I believe in most countries there are provisions for this sort of thing. For example in America if an official worker of America say an Ambassador living in France if that ambassador and his wife have a baby while in France the baby is still considered an American citizen. They can claim citizenship through their parents. In our constitution it talks about jursidiction and who has jurisdiction over a person. So France would not have jurisdiction over an official American representative and the children of that representative.

I think this day and age I believe much criticism would take place of a royal family should a royal not be born in their own country just simply b/c of modern times and being able to predict due date and potential problems. But in reality I don't think it would matter that much the shock would wear off quickly. And also like its been stated it would be something that the 2 governments would work out and the land would be temporarily Denmark's, or Holland's, or whatever. I could be wrong but I believe in the older times that there were many royals that were not born in their own country and some royals were purposely taken to be royalty in other countries. (Ex. Norway)

Now however, we should probably get back on topic but there's not much else to talk about since Mary's official appearances are done. She's ending her official appearances even earlier then Maxima so I'm thinking the baby may come a little earlier then expected. It could be a very royal April!!!

GlitteringTiaras said:
Mary is 5'7".

Thanks! I guess I was in the general area with my guesses!

Aurora810 said:
Just to add to this topic of a royal not being born in his or her country. Back in February when the Dutch RF went on a state visit to Turkey there were reports (whether true or not) that the Dutch RF had brought with them soil from Holland so that they could declare the land theirs just in case the unexpected happened with Princess Maxima.

How could that be allowed by customs? It's illegal to bring foreign soil into another country isnt it? Or are laws regarding this quite lax over there?

Aurora810 said:
Now however, we should probably get back on topic but there's not much else to talk about since Mary's official appearances are done.
Why do you believe that?
According to the latest Billed-Bladet Mary herself told a journalist
that there will be a few more official appearances.

ricarda said:
Why do you believe that?
According to the latest Billed-Bladet Mary herself told a journalist
that there will be a few more official appearances.

It's not that I believe that. It's that I thought this was her last official appearance. So maybe I'm mistaken. I'm not the only one that thinks that either, others on this thread and in other threads seem to think the same thing. I don't see any other official appearances listed for Mary at this time. There are however, 2 events left in March that don't really state who will be at the events so Mary may very well be there or not. I don't think it's a big deal though we'll see Mary when we see Mary.

I don't think it's a big deal either.
My question was really a question.
I don't have much time left at the moment and can't go through all threads.
And when I saw your remark I thought I must have missed something.
Was there an official announcement or is this just an information of one of those relieable Danish tabloids
(in the same line as "Alexandra is pregnant")?

Last edited:
I don't read any tabloids, it's just not my thing. But I regularly check the Danish Royal Calendar thread here at the TRF's and according to that there are no other official appearances for Mary for the month of March but April has not been posted yet. However, I did notice 2 events this coming week(March 26 and the 27) that don't really state who will be at them so who knows, Mary could possibly show up. I rely mainly on that to know what is going on b/c when I go to the RF's web site the schedule is in Danish and I can't read Danish.

Australian said:
How could that be allowed by customs? It's illegal to bring foreign soil into another country isnt it? Or are laws regarding this quite lax over there?

I have no idea! All I know is that it was an article posted in the Dutch forums in the Turkey state visit thread. Like I said before who knows if it's really true or not. But it was reported. Funny how this was discussed in that thread and none of us thought about whether or not it might be against the law.:ermm: But remember this could have been an exceptional circumstance, after all we are talking about royalty. Not just an average Joe.

Princess packs punch in war on schoolyard terror

AS she prepares to become a mother for the second time, Princess Mary is leading the fight to protect her young subjects from the torment of bullies.
Proving again that she is beloved of the Danish people, the anti-bullying program the princess introduced from Australia is being met with great success.

Princess packs punch in war on schoolyard terror - World - smh.com.au

The article also has some quotes from Prince Henrik about his thoughts on Mary and how they are pleased how she has learnt the language so quickly and that she is very charming. I thought that was nice of him.

I think she looks really great with her jeans and that beautiful pregnant top!!!!

I just love how Mary interacts with children- she seems to put them at ease, and has fun. I'm glad they brought the Better Buddies backpack with them to Christian's first day, because it is such a worthy organization and mission. If we could stem bullying in children, maybe we will have less violence in the future (I don't think this is scientific, but one can always hope so!)

I know Princess Mary needs her rest now but I already miss seeing her. Maybe we'll see her taking Christian to daycare soon.

jordana2 said:
Maybe we'll see her taking Christian to daycare soon.
You wont, the deal was the press gets pictures the first day and then leave Christian and the other children at the day care center alone. Besides Mary said they would only take him themsleves the first week.

Maybe there will be some pictures from the easter vacation, there are often pictures taken around Mareseillesborg if they choose to spend easter there, cant really imagine them going abroad when she is so close to her due date.

Larzen said:
You wont, the deal was the press gets pictures the first day and then leave Christian and the other children at the day care center alone. Besides Mary said they would only take him themsleves the first week.

Seriously? Little Cristian will be taken to daycare by some nany and not his parents? :mad: Surely their schedules aren't that busy, that they cannot take a few minutes and drop off their own son!

Thanks Larzen
We'll wait and see if there will be any photos.

princess leonor said:
Seriously? Little Cristian will be taken to daycare by some nany and not his parents? :mad: Surely their schedules aren't that busy, that they cannot take a few minutes and drop off their own son!

They probably could take 20 minutes out of their busy schedule to take their son to day-care, but consider the consequences of them doing so:

Firstly, photographers would often stand outside the day-care centre in the mornings which would probably be a nuisance, not only to The Crown Prince Couple and Prince Christian, but also, and perhaps even more so, to the other children and parents.

Secondly, although I believe that it is positive that Prince Christian is being brought up in tune with his future subjects, I think that the Crown Prince Couple walking their son to day-care on a daily basis would in time demystify the monarchy due to the fact that they would be photographed and asked questions as private persons, not as The Crown Prince Couple of Denmark.

Thirdly, I think that there are more important moments to share with ones child than the daily dropping-off of him or her. What I mean to say is that I do not think Prince Christian would miss his parents when being dropped off at day-care as much as he would on other occasions, were they not there.

/Lasse:):)

There are no more "official" engagements listed for Mary for this month, so I think she may find the time to take her son to daycare a few mornings a week. This is right on schedule with the last pregnancy as well, Mary started maternity leave about 1 month before she had Christian. In a few weeks we will all have alot talk about, a new baby!!

princess leonor said:

Maybe they are and maybe they aren't. The deal was that only on the first day photographers could be there, so we really don't know. And since there was an agreement like that made I doubt the media would violate it and since they already got all their pics I think it would be really boring to the public to keep seeing pics of Fred/Mary taking Christian to school plus bad publicity on the media's part if they were to publish new pics of pregnant Mary taking Christian to school b/c everyone knows of the deal that was made. Do you see what I'm getting at. We really don't know who's taking Christian everyday. It's a mystery!!!;)

I'm sure Frederik or Mary will take Christian to school once in awhile but it's not unusual for a nanny to do so. Other royal children are taken to and picked up by a nanny from school.

I wonder how long Mary's maternity leave will be this time around. Last time it was supposed to last more or less around a year but Mary made a couple appearances a couple months after Christian's birth. I guess this time the leave might be a little longer due to the needs of Christian and the new baby. I know the nanny will be there to help out but nothing can replace a mother's care. :)

Last edited:
I think Princess Mary accomplish her duties wonderfully. And she is a good mother to! This is not usual to find nowadays, but there is exceptions...and she is one of them. Of course, we must not excpect she appears in public some hours before giving birth to her baby! :lol:

Vanesa.

that's interesting. how long is her maternity leave? With Christian it seems it was only a few months?

Violet25 said:
that's interesting. how long is her maternity leave? With Christian it seems it was only a few months?

Women in Denmark get one year of maternity leave when they give birth, Mary chose not to take the full year. After she had Christian, she started doing duties on a regular basis around February the next year (so, four months later), but she did a few duties in those fours months (the Queen Ingrid memorial, New Year's Kur). I think we can expect the same after she has baby #2, given that she has a good birth and she and the baby are healthy, except I don't think we will see her as much before she finishes her maternity leave. I think we'll see her back at work in September-October :flowers:

princess leonor said:

I believe every mothe ris glad if someone else is helping out on dropping the kids in the kindergarden. We used to take turns and I was always glad when I was spared and could continue with my work schedule. I believe there is no difference to saying good-bye at the front door or at the door of the kindergarden. That little drive to and from is really nothing to worry about.

Larzen said:
Besides Mary said they would only take him themsleves the first week.

I don't remember Mary saying that. When did she say it?

Yes I don't remember her saying that, I think that when she her duties allow her she will take him to school besides is only 10 minutes from their house!
It seams that we are going to have a calm months, without seeing the princess too mucht!!

Last edited:
JessRulz said:
Women in Denmark get one year of maternity leave when they give birth, :flowers:
Women in Denmark are lucky!! American women only get 3 months maximum off after giving birth. :sad:

Sereta said:
Women in Denmark are lucky!! American women only get 3 months maximum off after giving birth. :sad:

Canada is also a year mat leave, with the option of the father taking a portion of it if he chooses (both can't use it at the same time tho)

^that's strange. I don't know how it it arranged here, but I think dads should have equal rights to mums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom