The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Royal Highness

I'm sure Frederik or Mary will take Christian to school once in awhile but it's not unusual for a nanny to do so. Other royal children are taken to and picked up by a nanny from school.

I wonder how long Mary's maternity leave will be this time around. Last time it was supposed to last more or less around a year but Mary made a couple appearances a couple months after Christian's birth. I guess this time the leave might be a little longer due to the needs of Christian and the new baby. I know the nanny will be there to help out but nothing can replace a mother's care. :)

Old 04-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

I think Princess Mary accomplish her duties wonderfully. And she is a good mother to! This is not usual to find nowadays, but there is exceptions...and she is one of them. Of course, we must not excpect she appears in public some hours before giving birth to her baby!

Vanesa.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:54 PM

that's interesting. how long is her maternity leave? With Christian it seems it was only a few months?
Old 04-04-2007, 03:42 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet25
that's interesting. how long is her maternity leave? With Christian it seems it was only a few months?
Women in Denmark get one year of maternity leave when they give birth, Mary chose not to take the full year. After she had Christian, she started doing duties on a regular basis around February the next year (so, four months later), but she did a few duties in those fours months (the Queen Ingrid memorial, New Year's Kur). I think we can expect the same after she has baby #2, given that she has a good birth and she and the baby are healthy, except I don't think we will see her as much before she finishes her maternity leave. I think we'll see her back at work in September-October
Old 04-04-2007, 04:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess leonor
Seriously? Little Cristian will be taken to daycare by some nany and not his parents? Surely their schedules aren't that busy, that they cannot take a few minutes and drop off their own son!
I believe every mothe ris glad if someone else is helping out on dropping the kids in the kindergarden. We used to take turns and I was always glad when I was spared and could continue with my work schedule. I believe there is no difference to saying good-bye at the front door or at the door of the kindergarden. That little drive to and from is really nothing to worry about.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzen
Besides Mary said they would only take him themsleves the first week.
I don't remember Mary saying that. When did she say it?
Old 04-04-2007, 05:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes I don't remember her saying that, I think that when she her duties allow her she will take him to school besides is only 10 minutes from their house!
It seams that we are going to have a calm months, without seeing the princess too mucht!!
Old 04-08-2007, 01:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz
Women in Denmark get one year of maternity leave when they give birth,
Women in Denmark are lucky!! American women only get 3 months maximum off after giving birth.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:07 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereta
Women in Denmark are lucky!! American women only get 3 months maximum off after giving birth.
Canada is also a year mat leave, with the option of the father taking a portion of it if he chooses (both can't use it at the same time tho)
Old 04-08-2007, 05:52 AM
Commoner

^that's strange. I don't know how it it arranged here, but I think dads should have equal rights to mums
Old 04-09-2007, 08:56 AM
Aristocracy

Is this paid maternity leave? Because as far as I understand in the states you can only take 6 weeks maternity leave, and then only if you have that much time in sick leave and vacation time accumulated. If you only have 4 weeks in vacation and sick time accumulated, you can take the other two weeks but its unpaid. Just wondering.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:26 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire
Is this paid maternity leave? Because as far as I understand in the states you can only take 6 weeks maternity leave, and then only if you have that much time in sick leave and vacation time accumulated. If you only have 4 weeks in vacation and sick time accumulated, you can take the other two weeks but its unpaid. Just wondering.
No this is not necesarilly paid - the lenght of paid maternity leave varies. With some private companies you only get 3 months paid leave - with others you get up to 9 months paid. If you work within the state you get 9 months.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:55 AM
Heir Apparent

In the US the vacation time and sick time have nothing at all to do with maternity leave. It is against the law for an employer to require a person to take their vacation/sick time for maternity leave.

In the USA a woman is entitled by law to 6 weeks of paid maternity leave, in addition to whatever personal,sick or vacation time she has.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress
In the US the vacation time and sick time have nothing at all to do with maternity leave. It is against the law for an employer to require a person to take their vacation/sick time for maternity leave.

In the USA a woman is entitled by law to 6 weeks of paid maternity leave, in addition to whatever personal,sick or vacation time she has.
This is not true. FOr both my daughters I had to use sick leave. I also used the Family Medical Leave act which allows you to take time - UNPAID- for pregnancy, maternity leave, taking care of a sick family member, etc. But again, this is UNPAID. If you have supplemental insurance (AFLAC or similar) this will pay you disability but this is only a portion of your salary.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

You are correct - there is no federally mandated paid maternity leave but there are many states that have their own mandated leaves. California has its own - unpaid but much longer than the fed's.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Ok, well, my mistake then. I guess that I have been lucky enough to live in states where it is illegal to require a woman to use personal, sick and vacation time for maternity leave.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:17 PM
Courtier

6 weeks regular maternity leave and 3 months max for Ceasarian births.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:18 PM
Nobility

In Canada, it's 1 year paid leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire
It's part of the unemployment insurance program. You don't get your full salary though.

6 months mat leave that can be taken by the mother, and 6 months parental leave that can be taken by either the mother or the father.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:26 AM
Majesty

This conversation has nothing to do with Mary's current events so let's move on...

Thanks,

Mandy
Danish Forum Moderator
Old 04-10-2007, 07:17 PM
Royal Highness

Mary looked lovely at the easter service she has developed a lovely bump. I do miss her long hair though. I think she looks older without it