Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 6: May - November 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Warren said:
From this they have deduced it was spent on clothes, shoes and furniture.

Interesting the point: furniture: having taken over a new house and started their nursery, I guess one can safely assume that Frederick and Mary spent a lot of the money on "furniture".

Plus, as was said before - the princess needed anything new as she did not come from a background where galas dresses were required for dinner several times a month... :)

And who should blame them: the first years of living together are the most expensive, that's for sure. Plus Mary seems to be quite economical in the way she wears her clothes: how does the name "New Imelda" and "Clothes Recycler" fit together? :confused:

I saw the Mary Imelda Marcos story in yesterdays Sunday Mail. I didn't take it seriously. I trust very little writen in the Australian press.

I do agree with everyone here on the expenses that are necessary when you move into a new house, or need to build up a wardrobe fitting for the job.

But, I also thought, that there is still Frederik who also spends money. I don't know for sure, but I always thought yachting is a rather expensive sport.

Also, they probably travel a lot.

According to this week's Women's Day, Mary has said that it will be a year-and-a-half until she, Frederik and Christian visit Australia again

the first years of living together are the most expensive, that's for sure. Plus Mary seems to be quite economical in the way she wears her clothes: how does the name "New Imelda" and "Clothes Recycler" fit together? :confused:

i so agree with you jo of palatine.

I'm sorry for my ignorance on this subject.

But what is supposed to buy with your personal budget?!

For example, does Princess Mary pays, from this budget, the gala outfits?! And the hats?!
If they want to buy a pram to the baby does the money comes from this budget?!
If they want to hire a limousine to celebrate a romantic dinner, they have to pay for it from this money?!
If Prince Fredrick wants to buy a jewel to his wife is this the money used?!

Still I find the comparisson absurd and unfair, Imelda was living as a queen in a poverty-stricken country, which Denmark isn't, Thank God.

Regards,
mtbcm :)

Mary's spending habit

According to the News Ltd newspapers, Mary and Frederick spent $2500/day on clothes, shoes and furniture in 2005. No wonder they have a lavish wardrobe! I was wondering what the Danish people think about this?
You can read more about this here:
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,19281722-29277,00.html

Timoka

What do they do with so many clothes?!

timoka said:
According to the News Ltd newspapers, Mary and Frederick spent $2500/day on clothes, shoes and furniture in 2005. No wonder they have a lavish wardrobe! I was wondering what the Danish people think about this?

Timoka
I'm a Dane and the article is not correct. They can obviosly not read danish in Australia:)

The Danish Royal Watchers website had an excellent explanation of what is actually reported in the annual budget report and just how much is made up by the press to come up with these numbers:
http://danishroyalwatchers.blogspot.com/ Very useful for us non-Danes in sifting fact from fiction.

BTW, I loved Mary's jacket at the Kildemose event.

ap3 said:
The Danish Royal Watchers website had an excellent explanation of what is actually reported in the annual budget report and just how much is made up by the press to come up with these numbers:
http://danishroyalwatchers.blogspot.com/ Very useful for us non-Danes in sifting fact from fiction.

BTW, I loved Mary's jacket at the Kildemose event.

Thanks for the shortcut ap3, it seems that the Danish newspaper Ekstra Bladet where this whole Mary is the Nordic Imelda Marcos rubbish originated from is the equivelant to the British The Sun and so most of its stories should be taken with a pinch of salt. I think these lovely pictures of Mary show what she is really like.

fanletizia said:

That is quite sad...I don't care if you are a princess or not--spending $2,500 a day in shoes and clothing is unnecessary and quite disgusting. Who on earth would spend that much money? It must be pretty nice to be "a royal" in this day and age...so many people dying of hunger in Africa and "the princess" spending that kind of money. Disgusting!

Roxsteve said:
That is quite sad...I don't care if you are a princess or not--spending $2,500 a day in shoes and clothing is unnecessary and quite disgusting. Who on earth would spend that much money? It must be pretty nice to be "a royal" in this day and age...so many people dying of hunger in Africa and "the princess" spending that kind of money. Disgusting!

The Australian is not a very reliable news source. These stories are most likely made up to sell papers and nothing else. Besides, who else besides Mary and Frederick and those close to them know exactly what they spent the money on. Right now, it's all speculation. We are just given numbers which don't mean anything until we have all the facts. And why all the rag on Mary? Mary gets her allowance from Frederick, who gets the allowance from the state, so if Mary gets criticized for it, so should Frederick. Isn't he the one that likes yachting and partying with the boys? :cool: :D :eek:

timoka said:

Timoka

If the supermodels that do runaways get to keep some of the things for themselves, then why the designers should not 'donate' some clothes for the royal family? After all, they do promote the local fasion industry. Never quite understood why the ones making the big money, the designers, have to get payment from their royal sponsors that are after all on a tight budget. Princess Mary is the window dressing to all things these designers want people to buy. She should not be admonished for helping them. :confused:

Last edited:
ap3 said:

That's there main explanation: "There are some increased expenditures in the Crown Prince Couple's household which is expanding a little with employment of more staff to help with new duties and responsibilities."

Could that, by chance, be the costs for the nurse....? she askes smilingly...

soCal girl said:
The Australian is not a very reliable news source. These stories are most likely made up to sell papers and nothing else. Besides, who else besides Mary and Frederick and those close to them know exactly what they spent the money on. Right now, it's all speculation. We are just given numbers which don't mean anything until we have all the facts. And why all the rag on Mary? Mary gets her allowance from Frederick, who gets the allowance from the state, so if Mary gets criticized for it, so should Frederick. Isn't he the one that likes yachting and partying with the boys? :cool: :D :eek:

Agree. If the article is true, which I hope it isn't, they are both to blame. Point well taken. Thanks.

Last edited:
good eye rachelD, thanks for the photos
i agree with socalgirl and roxsteve, its not all marys spending and we have no way of knowing how the money was spent, i think it was made up to sell magazines.

Are TRH's required to report expenditures?

I really pity them - they can't win either way. If CP Mary recycles her clothes too many times, rather than give her credit, people will knock her down for dressing in the same outfit all the time. On the other hand, if CP Mary spends within what is given to her as her budget she's out knock for spending too much. She really can't win either way - poor dear.

I also feel if she's spending on clothes - it's going to cost a fair bit as it's all designer labels and they don't come cheap! So how can these pocket groups and media compare? Plus, I hven't hear the Danish govt complaining and aren't they the ones holding the purse strings!

Eliza said:
if she's spending on clothes - it's going to cost a fair bit as it's all designer labels and they don't come cheap!​
Very good point Eliza, as Crown Princess she presumably is required by Her Majesty and the Crown Prince to present a commanding international presence with her style, and Denmark is a very financially stable kingdom whose subjects are well-fed educated and housed, so it is very strange that anyone complains about how much she spends of the RF's government allowance on work clothes.

Something that's occured to me after reading Elizas' last post is that if Mary didn't wear disigner clothes she'd propbably be knocked for it so I think she'll never win.

lise said:
Something that's occured to me after reading Elizas' last post is that if Mary didn't wear disigner clothes she'd propbably be knocked for it so I think she'll never win.

well she could try it and see. I can't imagine anyone actually would - if she was poorly groomed, the outfit didn't suit the occasion or was just unfashionable, sure people would point the finger. but no-one is yet to seriously complain that it reflects badly on the royal family because she has worn the same one-shouldered green evening dress a few times, or only had a choice of 3 winter coats. I still don't know why a new season prada one had to be bought to receive the melbourne tram. and I don't think anyone whose complaints should be taken seriously would think the worse of her for not wearing new season Prada but recycling something from last year.

especially when they are copping all this criticism. mary's obligation is to look groomed, appropriate, modest and stylish. that can be done on less than $2500 a day.

I would assume that alot of the clothing would be lent to Mary or given as gifts by design houses. She would have to though, pay for anything off the rack at stores. As for shoes again, perhaps discounted, or given as gifts?

Napoleon said:
mary's obligation is to look groomed, appropriate, modest and stylish. that can be done on less than $2500 a day.

Thanks Napoleon, I was curious to know what the figure was and my goodness I could think of so many things to wear with a budget like that ... she's one lucky lady!

No one knows for sure what the $2500 was spent on. Surely clothes but I doubt that all $2500 was spent on just clothes.

Last edited:
I agree not all the $2500 was spent on clothes, but the point of the bad publicity as they DID go over their budget - by a significant amount. so regardless they are spending too much. it may not have been on her clothes but perhaps she should have cut it back so overall they didn't spend more than they received from the State.

Last edited:
I think everyone needs to bear in mind, that the key word is "they." Thats Frederick and Mary and baby Christian. Its not all on Mary.

Thanks for clearing that up ... I thought Mary's government salary for clothing was $2500 per day which would come close to $1 million annually

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom