The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 04:31 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margrethe II
Including her engagement -

Two I think

The Romanian & Luxembourg State visits.

The recent Norwegian visit was an official visit, not a state one. I am sure the visit from the US president was also an official visit and not a state one. It's kind of weird that the only state visits the Crown Princess has been part of are the ones during her engagement and not after her marriage.

"MII"

P.S. I am speaking solely of visitng Heads of State to Denmark.
What's the difference between a "State Visit" and a "official Visit"?

Please note that I found this on the net but I'm still confused...
http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe...visit.britain/

"Many of us experience daily life becoming ever more hectic. This may be a good reason to stop a bit - and think about if what one spends time on is in fact how one really wants to spend it," Crown Prince Haakon of Norway
Old 12-23-2005, 11:57 AM
Heir Apparent

from hola.es :

Mary of Denmark got an animal protector of Australia upset

Australian a protective animal society that she tried to name godmother of the association to Mary of Denmark has decided not to do it. The reason has been that they have found out that in as the previous suppers to their wedding of the 14 of May of 2004, the Princes of Denmark served kangaroo, the animal emblem of Australia.

another article from BT : http://www.bt.dk/royalt/artikel:aid=...fid=100300158/

Old 12-23-2005, 12:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel S.
What's the difference between a "State Visit" and a "official Visit"?

Please note that I found this on the net but I'm still confused...
http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe...visit.britain/
Hi Angel S. !

here's what i can find on wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_visit

from what i can see, an official visit doesn't have to involve a Head of State, for instance, Frederik & Mary's visit to Australia earlier this year is considered an official visit. so do Haakon & Mette-Marit's to Poland, or Felipe & Letizia to Brazil, and so on. it sometimes have a longer period of time also, as opposed to state visit which usually lasted until 3 days.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:30 PM
Gentry

According to the article it was Frederik who requested a salad that had kangaroo in it. I cannot picture Mary just a few days before her wedding forbbiding her future husband to ask for that particular dish.

Is it common to eat kangaroo meat??? Because if it is, maybe it was just a way of honouring the guests with something typical of Australia.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethel
According to the article it was Frederik who requested a salad that had kangaroo in it. I cannot picture Mary just a few days before her wedding forbbiding her future husband to ask for that particular dish.

Is it common to eat kangaroo meat??? Because if it is, maybe it was just a way of honouring the guests with something typical of Australia.
i think they are in danger of extinction. however, i really doubt that information is true. being mary australian, i think the last thing she would like for her pre-wedding dish would be that...

here's another article in danish, by bt.dk. perhaps someone can translate?
Quote:

http://www.bt.dk/royalt/artikel:aid=...fid=100300158/

En kænguru-middag kom i vejen for Mary

Australsk naturbeskyttelsesforening vil ikke have kronprinsesse Mary som protektor, fordi der blev serveret kænguru ved middag forud for brylluppet.

Den australske naturbeskyttelsesforening, Australian Wildlife Protection Council (AWPC), har trukket i land med planer om at få kronprinsesse Mary som foreningens protektor.
Ifølge den australske avis The Mercury har AWPC erfaret, at der under en middag forud for brylluppet mellem Mary og kronprins Frederik i 2004 blev...

...serveret kænguru.
- Det så ud til at være en god idé, men bestemt ikke, hvis hun spiste kænguru, siger organisationens præsident, Maryland Wilson.
AWPC kom på ideen om at få Mary som protektor, fordi hun angiveligt kalder kronprinsparrets lille søn for "lille kænguru". Middagen, hvor der stod kænguru på menuen, blev lavet af den australske chefkok Luke Mangan. Han siger, at han forud for middagen fik en personlig anmodning fra kronprins Frederik, der bad om, at der skulle være kængurosalat på menuen.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 12-23-2005, 01:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Kangaroo meat is good. I had it when I was in australia and I thought it was one of the greatest meats I had ever tasted. It was hard to get past the kangaroo factor. You know, eating the cute animals that hop around everywhere. But all you have to remember is that they can kick you pretty hard and scratch you like crazy. They are not nice animals.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:56 PM
Heir Apparent

well, i certainly don't agree, Princejonnhy25 !
one way or another, kangaroo is a great animal and should be forbidden to be eaten. maybe i sound harsh.. but, i support the wildlife organization for protesting on this one.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:03 PM
Nobility

Are you a vegetarian purple platinum?
Old 12-23-2005, 02:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrjam
Are you a vegetarian purple platinum?
no, i'm not - not yet, cannot resist the temptation.
but, i do believe maybe it's considered ok to eat the kangaroo meat for some people, but, for a pre-royal wedding event, it's not a wise decision to eat a symbolic animal of the bride's country :( :o
Old 12-23-2005, 02:18 PM
Gentry

Kangaroos are not an endangered species. Actually, according to some Australian friends, in some places they are considered a pest, because of their huge population in certain areas. I also found out that eating their meat is quite normal.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:19 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_platinum
no, i'm not - not yet, cannot resist the temptation.
but, i do believe maybe it's considered ok to eat the kangaroo meat for some people, but, for a pre-royal wedding event, it's not a wise decision to eat a symbolic animal of the bride's country :( :o
i entirely agree with you purple platinum. i don't think it's respectful or fair towards mary's country. however, i don't think she complained, because in case she didn't want the guests to have kangaroo she would have said it and the menu would have been changed (really doubt, even it was a royal wedding, that the bride would tolerate something like that if she was completely against it), but... do we know for sure that kangaroo meat was the menu? was any official information released?
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 12-23-2005, 02:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

There is nothing abnormal when it comes to eating Kangaroo meat. It is a national symbol. But its just that a symbol. Because they are unique to australia(I think). They are not endangered and there is nothing ethical against eating it. The meat is good. Very lean but tasty.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:31 PM
Heir Apparent

yes, i agree, carlota.
i really don't want to start a discussion based on a rumour, and not yet confirmed news.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:02 PM
Courtier

Sorry to those who found it bad form to eat Kangaroo at the wedding event, but I strongly disagree with you...

The kangaroo maybe the one of our national symbols (if not the most recognisable) but these macropods are actually quite the pest due to their large and ever growing numbers, resulting in the need to cull. Kangaroos are well known for their destruction on crops, gardens etc, so this is a course of action that needs to be taken.

It was HRH the Crown Prince's idea to in-corporate a Kangaroo dish, not the Crown Princesses.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating kangaroo meat, as a matter of fact I have Kangaroo steaks in my freezer. It is lovely meat.

At least the majority (discluding peoples on isolated property's) of culled roo's are used for their meat and are not left to rot and waste. That would be a shame.
"MII"

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota
i think they are in danger of extinction
Although you recognise that this may not be so, I just want to make it clear that Kangaroo's are no where near extinct. Their numbers are much to great.

"MII"
Old 12-23-2005, 06:07 PM
Nobility

Well I am vegetarian so I eat nothing that has a face (as Linda McCartney said) but I don;t get how anyone can be against them eating kangaroo but be ok for them to eat cow or pigs.

I am having pork for dinner sounds better than I am having pig.

Same with beef, that sounds better than cow.

Unless you do not eat meat I don;t think you can complain aout anyone eating kangaroo.

We don;t know if Mary even ate it, if so it was her choice.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmieLou
I don;t get how anyone can be against them eating kangaroo but be ok for them to eat cow or pigs.

I am having pork for dinner sounds better than I am having pig.

Same with beef, that sounds better than cow.

Unless you do not eat meat I don;t think you can complain aout anyone eating kangaroo.

We don;t know if Mary even ate it, if so it was her choice.
Well said EmmieLou

"MII"
Old 12-23-2005, 09:17 PM
Serene Highness

BTW those of you who eat occasionally venisson, might actually have been eating kangoroo (big scandal a while ago in Europe, cause roo was sold as venisson though it's much cheaper). But maybe some of those protesting are thinking too much of Skippy. It is actually very good meat, hence the cheat for the venisson.

As to calling your steak beef instead of cow, is purely historical. For some time the language at court in England was French. The french names for the cooked meat where taken over by people of lesser rank and education and modified to suit English, so that they could give themselves an air of superiority towards those who still called it cow and pig wen it was cooked on their plate. (at the German court French was also the spoken language- much later though then in England- and thus some French found it's way into the language, though Germans still call pig on their plates pig and cows cow/cattle)
Old 12-24-2005, 05:17 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margrethe II
Although you recognise that this may not be so, I just want to make it clear that Kangaroos are no where near extinct. Their numbers are much to great. "MII"
Australians hear this emotive and inaccurate nonsense about "endangered" kangaroos regularly. For the record, there are millions and millions of kangaroos, and the population fluctuates depending on rainfall. Hunting or culling is in such relatively small numbers it has minimal effect on the national kangaroo population.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Princess Mary causes to controversy

Princess Mary of Denmark wants to make competition to queen Margrethe II with her own reception of New Year and in addition she generated misfortunes by a salad of kangaroo in the day of its wedding.
According to the press in Copenhagen, the wife of inheriting prince Frederik wishes "to implement a new tradition" the 5 of January. That day, the queen receives the representatives of the diplomatic body. Mary, of 33 years, wants, on the other hand, to offer a reception to representatives of beneficial organizations and the sector of the Danish fashion.

http://estadis.eluniversal.com.mx/estilos/46599.html
Old 12-24-2005, 08:04 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanletizia
Princess Mary causes to controversy
Princess Mary of Denmark wants to make competition to queen Margrethe II with her own reception of New Year and in addition she generated misfortunes by a salad of kangaroo in the day of its wedding.
According to the press in Copenhagen, the wife of inheriting prince Frederik wishes "to implement a new tradition" the 5 of January. That day, the queen receives the representatives of the diplomatic body. Mary, of 33 years, wants, on the other hand, to offer a reception to representatives of beneficial organizations and the sector of the Danish fashion.
A couple of things here... the wedding was May 2004. Why is this kangaroo business being brought up now? And the two receptions: the Queen meets the Diplomatic Corps; the Crown Princess meets charity and fashion representatives. How is this competition, and why is it controversial? Sounds like a slow news day to me.