The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 09:33 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyemma
I think this may be the photo in question.
Wow, the difference is incredible.

Old 11-19-2005, 01:11 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra
On the other hand, I find it incredibly irritating when the Palace, royalists and fans exaggerate Mary´s goodness.
I haven't found the Palace or royalists exaggerating about Mary. From what I've read in Danish papers (with a very bad translator) coverage seems positive but pretty matter of fact.

I noticed some Austalian papers exaggerate in one way or another. Some call her the savior of the Danish monarchy and claim she and Fred are more popular than the BRF which is in really bad taste. Others are probably reacting to that and saying she's the conniver who wormed her way into the Royal house. The truth is a lot more complicated than that.

I have no problem with Mary being ordinary, its part of her appeal that she doesn't have movie star looks. But she's not in an ordinary situation and it would be unrealistic for her to go from real estate agent to crown princess without some image change. Camilla had to undergo an image change when she married Charles and she's hardly an airhead schoolgirl. Even Diana had an image change after she married. The women have different demands now. I see Mary is still in transition. She's got look that is a cross between ordinary and royal which is very unusual and very intriguing.

As far as being a size 14, its not the most shocking revelation in the world and nor is tearing up an old photo of yourself that you think is unflattering.

Old 11-19-2005, 02:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra
I agree that some journalists will exaggerate to spice up their articles or books. On the other hand, I find it incredibly irritating when the Palace, royalists and fans exaggerate Mary´s goodness. She´s beautiful, she´s intelligent, she couldn´t be size 14 (why not?)...etc etc.
She was just an ordinary Australian, so there´s no need to paint her to be some Goddess. Good for her that Fred fell in love with her, but that doesn´t mean she´s perfect. No one is. So ardent fans need not be so defensive when certain things are found out about her that doesn´t match the image that is being spinned.
The palace has nothing to do with it. They can't control at all what is showed on TV, written in books or in the press about them good or bad. They can only sit back and wait:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
As far as being a size 14, its not the most shocking revelation in the world and nor is tearing up an old photo of yourself that you think is unflattering.
I don't think this photo was thrown out because it was unflattering(it wasn't) or to hide something. I don't think there has to be any uuuhhh so "bad" motive for that. She was about to move to Europe and just cleaned her old home and throwed out some different old stuff that she possible did not have any use for anymore. Just as we all do when we move:) Mary herself, her family and her friends very likely has still has a lot of photos from her past life. So why should a couple of pictures do any difference. If you saw the TV-documentary about Mary before the wedding, Mary showed some pictures from her life that didn't look very much different from the pictures of her past life that has been showed in the press. I think people put too much into this:)
Old 11-19-2005, 02:47 PM
Heir Apparent

As far as size 14 goes: is that an UK size 14 or an US size 14? There is a fair difference, I'd like to point out.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:59 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne
As far as size 14 goes: is that an UK size 14 or an US size 14? There is a fair difference, I'd like to point out.
That's a good point, Anne. The British size 14 is an American 10. The clothing designers here design to a size 8 which a lot of women can't fit into. So if they're talking about a British 14 its one American size larger than what designers design for but then its not much larger than most women in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromEU
If you saw the TV-documentary about Mary before the wedding, Mary showed some pictures from her life that didn't look very much different from the pictures of her past life that has been showed in the press. I think people put too much into this
That's a good point fromEU, I didn't know that. I agree with you that people read too much into this.

Right now, I'm just mad that Fred and Mary are making us wait so long for the christening. But I'll get over it.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:48 PM
Commoner

The average size of Women has increased dramatically over the last few decades.
The average Australian woman is now a 14-16 (similar to the British scale) which would be USA 10-12.

I imagine the average woman in America would be at least this big if a survey was taken anywhere outside of Hollywood CA.

As for Mary's size prior to her meeting Fred, I think she would have been around Australian size 12. She was well muscled rather than flabby. Whether than or now she would be in better shape and health than the vast majority of woman on the street.

Hotdog
Old 11-20-2005, 12:51 AM
Nobility

I think Mary looked fine in that old photo, no too much make-up like now she does have now...let's say like any other girl, but....that topshirt looks cheap and makes me think she has a bad taste to choose her own clothes.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:11 PM
Nobility

I was only saying size 14 as that was what I read, I never actually took much notice of it, I wasjust making a point she was bigger than she is now but not huge.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:26 PM
Royal Highness

I think that the media is just trying to find scraps of info to make a story out of. CP Mary is just a normal woman who had the same issues as everyone else. So she tore up a picture, big deal. We wouldn't even care about it if it was someone un-famous, this is the work of the media blowing small things out of proportion just to sell a few papers/magazines.

Old 11-24-2005, 10:45 AM
Gentry

When we can see Mary
Old 11-24-2005, 07:33 PM
Majesty

is it true that the money from all those covers in vogue, australian women's weekly, etc... was donated to charity?
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 11-24-2005, 07:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota
is it true that the money from all those covers in vogue, australian women's weekly, etc... was donated to charity?
Do you mean the money the magazines pay celebs, royals, ect for interviews? If that's what you mean, I think it was donated, but that's just logic, not actual fact or reports.

Old 11-25-2005, 09:23 AM
Courtier

Mary did not get paid for all the covers. She has only done 2 magazines. Australian Vogue and Dansk. That's it. The rest of the covers were cases of the magazines buying photographs of Mary from open stock photos. She did not pose for them.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

I agree she did not get payed, I do not agree she did not pose for Austrailian Womans Weekly, yes the pictures were taken by Steen Evald that also does their official pictures, but it says on the pictures on his website that he took them for Austrailian Womans weekly.
http://www.steenevald.com/slideshow/...enu_id=13&id=7
Pic 8-11 under Royal

That is no different than Reagon Cameron taking the pictures for vogue and Rankin taking the pictures for Dansk, just this time it was a danish photogrpher.

Both the Vogue, Dansk and AWW pictures and interviews were then sold to magazines all over europe as it happen with almost all royal interviews.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:05 AM
Aristocracy

my opinion is that she likes press attention, and enjoys the fact photographers chase her and look for her. but that's all...she does not look for them, she just likes the attention. and may i add it is quite normal, cause many of us would like it where we in her shoes...admit it or not!
Old 11-25-2005, 04:44 PM
Nobility

She may enjoy it but that is a good thing, so many public figures hate the camera and crack up because of it.

I run from camera's, hate them and would just be the worst famous person in the World but my sister adores the camera. Everyone is different.

It is nice that when Mary sees the Paparrazzi she acts like a lady and is not rude and grumpy. This is a very good thing.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Does anyone has access to Hola Magazine? They have an article about the new non-official book about Mary.

http://www.hola.com/casasreales/2005...ary-donaldson/
Old 11-25-2005, 05:37 PM
Courtier

The Crown Princess definitly does not look for attention, she just realises that wherever she goes she shall find a contingent of photographers waiting to snap a shot.

Both Frederik & Mary handle the press well. But then again so does most of the Danish Royal Family.

"MII"
Old 11-25-2005, 06:09 PM
Heir Apparent

I can't understand why someone would write such horrible things about another. Jealous behaviour seems to have ruled the author's pen.

From the pictures posted previously, HRH does not look fat to me. She looks normal and very healthy. Keep in mind, the picture from Vogue Austraila was slightly airbrushed which is noticeable around her waist. It's not a bad thing, but it is quite common for magazine editors to do this.

So let's not become so hung up on her appearence and let's try and focus on the good things HRH does for her country as well as for her people.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:40 PM
Aristocracy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margrethe II
The Crown Princess definitely does not look for attention, she just realises that wherever she goes she shall find a contingent of photographers waiting to snap a shot.

Both Frederik & Mary handle the press well. But then again so does most of the Danish Royal Family.

"MII"
Very well said! I totally agree with you! :p

Amen

Closed Thread