Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 4: May - September 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Princess BellyFlop said:
We often think that women with pale skin, darker hair and classical outfit might seem older than they really are. Catherine Zeta-Jones, who like Mary, has porcelain skin, dark straight hair and dresses tastefully and rather in a classic way, always seemed older to me than Gwyneth for example when in reality they are about the same age.

I don't agree with you here . Perhaps Gwyneth, when you see her from far and you see a thin blond woman looks younger but I think that Catherine has something on her face that can make her look girly sometimes (not a critic from me, she is beautiful !)

Anita said:
I don't like her style either . I think Mary's choice of clothes makes her look older . When I see her, I don't see a 33 years- old but rather a 50- years old . But, like Roxsteve said, just my opinion ;) :)

I don't necessarily think she looks 50, but she tries too hard to look modern and sometimes that backfires. As a princess, she needs to make sure that she looks modern yet elegant and proper for the ocassion. The rest of us can show our belly button and no one would really notice--or care.:D I do, however, respect your opinion.

Princess BellyFlop said:
We often think that women with pale skin, darker hair and classical outfit might seem older than they really are. Catherine Zeta-Jones, who like Mary, has porcelain skin, dark straight hair and dresses tastefully and rather in a classic way, always seemed older to me than Gwyneth for example when in reality they are about the same age.

Catherine Zeta Jones looks older than she says she is because, as everyone in the industry knows, she lies about her age, she is about 40 years old.
Mary looks younger when she is off duty, I think wearing hats and suits etc can make anyone look older. Sometimes I think she wears too much makeup which can make her look harsh and therefore older.

Mary is like the energizer bunny! She keeps on going and going and going. It's great she can represent Denmark so well, but she's almost eight months pregnant! I know a lot of women who have to go on bedrest for the last month of pregnancy, so Mary must be having a very healthy pregnancy. :)

Anita said:
I don't like her style either . I think Mary's choice of clothes makes her look older . When I see her, I don't see a 33 years- old but rather a 50- years old . But, like Roxsteve said, just my opinion ;) :)

Have to say I really disagree with you here (that's alright :). Mary's choice of clothes are very modern - perhaps the most modern out of all the princesses. She doesn't go for that tailored suit look all the time (letizia wears modern suits which is fine, but some princesses continue wearing really frumpy 80's looking suits which I think, well, isn't as flattering though they are decidedly "royal-wear" as the Brits, especially the QEII, wear them a lot).

And I don't think she "tries" to be modern either. Its just how she is. She is modern, and most women wear pants to work, and she does too (even when pregnant).

Linda Hsu said:
Many thanks for the beautiful photo of Crown Princess Mary. I really love her outfit - very elegant, chic and pretty.

Mary carries her pregnancy with grace and ease. She seems to have a very healthy pregnancy.

She is one of the busiest pregnant princess. She is non-stop working and has managed to carry out a great deal amount of engagements, without having to cancel any of them.

No wonder Mary's beloved husband, Crown Prince Frederik and her mother-in-law QMII are so proud of Mary!

Well done, Mary!

I second that!!:D :) ;) :p

Everyone seems to be talking about the fact that Mary is working quite hard at this time in her pregnancy. From my own experiences, I think it is really good to keep busy at this stage of your pregnancy, unless you have had a difficult time (and we have not heard that this is the case) or are in the middle of an Australian summer with all its humidity.
Mary seems to be a very focused young woman anyway, with a strong work ethic, and I don't think she would enjoy taking it easy if was is something else she could be doing.
She will probably take more time for herself to prepare for the birth from the end of this month. What a wonderful time in her and Frederik's life this is!

I respect the fact that Mary is so busy late in her pregnancy. She is lucky too have a good pregnancy. Everyone's pregnancy is different.

As far as her clothes, sometimes I feel like the clothes are wearing her and not the other way around. When I see her, I automatically think designer labels. It's a totally fashionista label addict approach to fashion. When I see some of the other princesses, for example, Mathilde of Belgium, they are elegant but the clothes are just an extra to view. I see the princess and her work first. If she happens to be wearing a pretty pink dress with flowers and the same flowers are in her chignon, then fine, it's something extra and nice to look at.

I don't have anything against Mary if this is what she likes, but I do blame the courtiers for allowing her to be seen as a clothes horse Vogue model. It is sending the wrong message if they are wanting her to be taken as a crown princess who takes on serious issues and wants to be seen as such. JMO. :)

Letizia's clothes do not really stand out. She is seen as professional and hard working. There are no Vogue photo shoots and interviews. Her image is, you know me from my journalist days, but you DON'T really know me. There is this subtle mystery around her which I think is an asset to a monarchy. JMO

Last edited:
paloma said:
As far as her clothes, sometimes I feel like the clothes are wearing her and not the other way around. When I see her, I automatically think designer labels. It's a totally fashionista label addict approach to fashion.

When I look at Mary, I do not think this at all - far far from it.

I always think "lovely", "innovative", "modern", and I just thank god that she doesn't wear ugly "royal suits" (sometimes only ;)). She does look lovely and she does wear a lot of Danish designs, especially by Julie Fagerholt or Malene Birger, but if that helps Danish fashion and she looks good at the same time, then all the better! I think its the fact that she's decidedly fashion conscious, as opposed to others who are not as supportive of this area. She's not being coy about her interest in fashion (what a waste that others don't... they could help their fellow countrymen a lot by being upfront about it), or in her support of Danish fashion - she'll meet it head on, and if people want her to put her love for fashion a bit more in the background are going to be sorely disappointed. This is now part of her work and designers in Denmark are grateful for her support.

Letizia's clothes do not really stand out. She is seen as professional and hard working. There are no Vogue photo shoots and interviews. Her image is, you know me from my journalist days, but you DON'T really know me. There is this subtle mystery around her which I think is an asset to a monarchy. JMO
The Spanish monarchy is vastly different from the Danish monarchy. The Spanish royals rarely give interviews at all, and they are always swimming against the current, not because they are not hardworking, but because there is a strong republican movement in Spain which does not exist in Denmark. Even Queen Margrethe has given interviews to, I think, Billed Bladet and less serious magazines. The Danes have always given interviews, had documentaries made on them etc, which is not the same for the Spanish royals.

I agree to some extent though about the Vogue issue. I don't have anything against Mary doing Vogue - because other royals have done fashion shoots too, but she could've done away with some of the Chanel clothes etc. I don't know if it was mandatory for Vogue to use those clothes though. It is still possible that their budget for the trip to Denmark could've been dependant on the support they got from the fashion labels? etc??? Not sure how this works. Or maybe Mary was more naive then. In any case, she hardly wears anything that is not of Danish design now.

Last edited:
I'm well aware of the Spanish monarchy as I have a degree in Spanish and Spanish history and culture!:)

Even though we differ in our views of Mary, I like hearing your views and opinions. They are well thought out and expressed. Have a good day.

I'm sure Mary has heard feedback about her lack of supporting Danish designers in the past. She is probably making a conscientious effort about being seen in Danish designers now.

I have a growing amount of respect for Princess Mary. She continues lending her support to a variety of very worthy causes, some of which seem a little less traditional for royal support (suicide, for example). While I know appearances can be deceiving, it looks like she has found a good balance of her role- remaining very down to earth and casual while still royal. She looks great, and I really appreciate she is mixing and matching her great wardrobe. None of us can afford a new outfit every day, and she's a great model for how to look great (even if her budget is MUCH larger than ours is!)

It's great to see- she seems to have retained a fair amount of her own personality and character while transitioning into the great responsibility that came with her marriage. After a year, she looks comfortable in her new vocation.

Eliza

I love most of mary's clothes, but I must say it's most of her clothes choices are with the help of her stylist.
Some people think highly of Mary and some don't. I sometimes don't understand why ppl are saying they respect Mary or she's a great person because she's down to earth...or even something negative like she spends too much money on clothes etc. Come on people....no one reallly know what she's like. Most royals like Mary are like actors--of course they have to act a positive way so that the people are happy with them. And it's her job to act kind and be down to earth etc. Mary still has many more years in order to gain respect in my opinion and she has to do something impressive in her own doing not what the royal court schedules her to do.
I'm usually in this forum because I enjoy seeing what Mary wears. Her style is more like the Hamptons.

I for one love the way Mary dress, most of the time. I'm glad she's versatile in her choice of clothing instead of wearing tailored suits all of the time. I mean wearing them occasionally is fine, but I like to see a more diversified wardrobe.

Last edited:
thanks to her stylist..mary's wardrobe has improved alot. her lady in waiting is very stylish..i guess Mary is listening to her advices too.

Time to close another thread. Thanks to everyone who posted.

Here is the link to the new thread.

Have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom