Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 3: November 2004 - May 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pic from Bt.dk

Attachments

• 275982_large.jpg
    275982_large.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 564
Thanks pdas. That is absolutely beautiful!

Xandra said:
To comment on something in Thread 9-if the Danish courtiers are worried Mary has become too glamourous, then it´s a result of Mary´s posing like a model in so many mags, instead of focusing on more serious stuff. None of the other princesses posed in so many mags, and certainly not in the first year of becoming princesses. Mary seemed to suddenly develop this craze to be photographed in designer clothes. Not quite the "simple" girl Fred thought he married.

But that doesn't make sense...the court allowed Mary to appear in all those magazines.

tiff_tiff_tiff2000 said:
But that doesn't make sense...the court allowed Mary to appear in all those magazines.

The article from which Xandra is quoting comes from a sleazy rag mag. The author has conveniently omitted the names of the courtier(s) which leaves me to believe that entire article is a fabrication.

cute_girl said:
Look at the date(Sat Mar 19, 2:35 AM ET), this is not referring to the newest edition of New Idea, but to this:
Tasmania's Minister for Economic Development Lara Giddings - part of a small group farewelling the couple at Hobart International Airport - said Princess Mary's popularity was still growing.
"(The death of) Princess Diana has left a void in the world. What we all have to be careful about is that Princess Mary isn't made to fill that void," she said.
http://seven.com.au/news/topstories/171031

This a comment on the New Idea "story" from the Daily Telegraph. Some of it really apply for every gossipmagazine IMO.
Why clamour over glamour wears thin
By MICHELLE CAZZULINO
April 5, 2005

AS someone with princess-like tendencies myself (albeit none that would have a real prince beating a path to my door) it was with some consternation – nay, outright horror – that I learned that Australian-born Crown Princess Mary of Denmark is becoming too glamorous.

Yep, that's right, folks: when it comes to all matters regal, it seems all the looks, style and elegance in the world don't mean anything unless you've been caught on film in your daggiest trackies, preferably looking a bit bloated, and possibly also picking a particularly stubborn foodscrap from between your front teeth.
At least that seems to be the message from the so-called "royal insider" quoted in the cover story of this week's New Idea.

Hailing from the same revolting, tedious mould as the alleged "close friends" and "sources" so often relied on in stories like these, the insidious "insider" hides behind a deeply-convenient veil of anonymity to vent his or her bitchy spleen over two glossy, whinge-filled pages.

Princess Mary's crimes, recounted in all their shocking detail, appear to be, firstly, that she just looks too damn good all the damn time, and secondly, that because she looks too damn good, her husband Crown Prince Frederik doesn't get a look in.

But don't take my word for it. Let's give the "royal insider" his or her 15 seconds of fame: "[Frederik] married a girl who didn't mind being photographed in jeans, but now she travels with a hair and make-up guru," he or she said.

"It has not gone unnoticed that when the couple appear at functions together, the cameras zoom in on Mary.

"Of course, it's not Mary's fault that this is happening, because a beautiful woman is much more interesting than a man, even a handsome one, but Mary does seem to seek out the cameras just as [Princess] Diana did."

Now, for those of you already baying for Mary's semi-blue blood, there's more. It seems in addition to being photogenic, she's also made the heinous mistake of regularly "upstaging" her husband.

Her punishment, apparently, is to submit to a team of six palace "spin doctors", who have been instructed to create a "more serious image" for Mary.

Presumably this means her next public appearance will involve her walking a respectful 3m behind her husband, wearing one of those 1980s power suits (sans power, obviously) and surrounded by an entourage of pallbearers.

Unsurprisingly perhaps, we learn that the royal insider's need to be speak out against the princess has its roots in something other than serious jealousy, or an aTRFuistic desire to fill pages for the staff of New Idea.

Instead, the insider says Mary – and all her pesky glamour – are taking the focus off what really matters . . . her charity work.

"[The Danish palace] want her to be photographed cradling an ill child rather than arriving at a society luncheon dressed to the nines.

"And journalists are not doing anything to tone down her popularity as they write about Mary's clothes before they mention the humanitarian aspect of the function the two were attending."

What a load of claptrap. As one of the journalists who spent the better part of last month covering the couple's Australian tour, I'm having trouble believing that the royal turncoat – I mean, insider – has any clue what he or she is talking about.

If anything, Mary and her considerable wardrobe of "glamorous" dresses has been the best international Danish PR exercise since Hans Christian Andersen first picked up a quill.

I will readily confess to being among those who "did not do anything to tone down her popularity" while Mary was in Sydney – quite the opposite, in fact.

I wrote glowingly about the amount of goodwill that existed towards her, of the number of people who turned out to see her during her public appearances and even, God forbid, that she looked terrific in her aforementioned dresses. So sue me.

Just quietly though, during the charity events she and Frederik did attend, there was plenty of attention paid to the incredible work of the organisations behind them – even if they did occasionally share the limelight with the breathy details of Mary's hairstyle.

But isn't that exactly why charities are queuing up to have her endorse their work?
FOR most of the tireless workers who encountered her during the tour, there was a good-natured acceptance of the hoopla surrounding her visit, and genuine gratitude that she had taken the time to schedule it in.

I can't recall a single one of them producing a faded old T-shirt and a pair of ripped jeans and demanding that she muck in or get out.

It would be ridiculous to suggest such a thing – just as much as it's ridiculous to suggest that a princess should be stripped of her "glamour" because people can't see beyond the clothes she's wearing or the bag she's toting.

You have to feel a bit sorry for Prince Frederik, too. He probably thought he was on to a good thing by finding an incredibly intelligent, attractive woman to share his life with . . . and now it turns out she stole his thunder while she was Down Under, to bastardise a Men At Work song.

The best thing he can do for himself, clearly, is divorce Mary and marry someone plainer and less likely to outshine him at every opportunity.

Someone who has an intimate understanding of royal protocol, and who is used to being reminded of her place on a regular basis. Someone like, oh, say, Camilla Parker Bowles.

But then again, she's not very glamorous . . . .
http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story.jsp?sectionid=1269&storyid=2913730

Last edited by a moderator:
The horseshow: OK outfit. I really like her look though: soft makeup, soft hair, relaxed and happy. Big contrast to the ship naming ceremony, where I thought she wore too much makeup (which made her look older and hard), and her outfit's look was very stiff and conservative.

I also like the way she let the horse check out her flowers!

One more thing: her pants look too long for her, they bag at the bottom which I don't like.

I think she looked perfect for the occasion.

Xandra said:
To comment on something in Thread 9-if the Danish courtiers are worried Mary has become too glamourous, then it´s a result of Mary´s posing like a model in so many mags, instead of focusing on more serious stuff. None of the other princesses posed in so many mags, and certainly not in the first year of becoming princesses. Mary seemed to suddenly develop this craze to be photographed in designer clothes. Not quite the "simple" girl Fred thought he married.

Yes I agree with you about this. Mary is no longer the "simple girl" from Hobart that was first presented to the Danish public. She is now a glamorous, model wannabe who wears designer gowns, gives press interviews, poses in fashion magazines and shows up for her engagements dressed in designer gowns and suits that she likely couldn't afford while she was working in Australia in marketing/law/real estate.

But of course you can't blame Mary alone. If the Danish courtiers are worried about Mary overthrowing Frederik in the popularity race they have only themselves to blame. They are the ones who gave permission for such fashion shoots and interviews. They are the ones who provided Mary with a budget to afford Prada and approved of such purchases.

If they were worried about Mary and Frederik becoming a repeat of the Diana/Charles situation they should've stopped the photo shoots and interviews after the VOGUE story. But then they allowed 3 more occasions in which Mary was primped before the cameras on her fairy tale life.

You've clearly illustrated why the article is utter nonsense.

But it is not only photographs faul. What about Mary if she was not glamorous nobody would be taking pictures of her. And she actually volunteered to be on the cover of these magazines. She loves being photographed. She agreed to be fotshot for these covers. That't the difference between royals and people like Mary. Royals hate being photographed example princess Caroline and she is fabulous and still makes headlines . I think Mary wants to be like her or Di, but she has ro push it. I do not think that luck has anything to do with Mary becoming a crown princess, it is all hard work, long way from Australia to Danmark. She is just a social climber. But she is soon going to be put on her place. Fame is a blessing and a curse!

Mary has only done 2 photo shoots. One for Australian Vogue and one for the magazine Dansk. That's all. As for wearing designer gowns, all princesses do. So I don't think the critisims are valid. If you are looking for reasons to hate Mary, you'll find them. As you would for any other crown princess or other princess for that matter.

elektraking said:
But it is not only photographs faul. What about Mary if she was not glamorous nobody would be taking pictures of her. And she actually volunteered to be on the cover of these magazines. She loves being photographed. She agreed to be fotshot for these covers. That't the difference between royals and people like Mary. Royals hate being photographed example princess Caroline and she is fabulous and still makes headlines . I think Mary wants to be like her or Di, but she has ro push it. I do not think that luck has anything to do with Mary becoming a crown princess, it is all hard work, long way from Australia to Danmark. She is just a social climber. But she is soon going to be put on her place. Fame is a blessing and a curse!

Royals like to be photographed on their own terms. The vast majority of royals have been photographed for a magazine at some point or another during their roles.

I don't see what the big deal is/was about the Crown Princess being photographed by the magazine or giving interviews, it is not like it has never been done before by the Danish royal family. I also think it is particularly interesting that some people choose to single the Crown Princess out about being photographed and interviewed, when the Crown Prince himself took part in half of all the magazine shoots and interviews.:cool:

"You have to feel a bit sorry for Prince Frederik, too. He probably thought he was on to a good thing by finding an incredibly intelligent, attractive woman to share his life with . . . and now it turns out she stole his thunder while she was Down Under, to bastardise a Men At Work song.

The best thing he can do for himself, clearly, is divorce Mary and marry someone plainer and less likely to outshine him at every opportunity."

This really bothers me. Michelle has it right. Can´t a man feel happy for his wife and feel good in the knowledge that people like her just as he loves her without feeling jealous or envious? To me, it seems ridiculous to assume that Frederik isn´t proud of her. Of course this is an Aussie magazine, so the example for most readers that comes to mind is that of Charles and Diana where a man was jealous or upset with the attention that his wife was receiving. But here I don´t see it at all.

Dennism said:
"You have to feel a bit sorry for Prince Frederik, too. He probably thought he was on to a good thing by finding an incredibly intelligent, attractive woman to share his life with . . . and now it turns out she stole his thunder while she was Down Under, to bastardise a Men At Work song.

The best thing he can do for himself, clearly, is divorce Mary and marry someone plainer and less likely to outshine him at every opportunity."

This really bothers me. Michelle has it right. Can´t a man feel happy for his wife and feel good in the knowledge that people like her just as he loves her without feeling jealous or envious? To me, it seems ridiculous to assume that Frederik isn´t proud of her. Of course this is an Aussie magazine, so the example for most readers that comes to mind is that of Charles and Diana where a man was jealous or upset with the attention that his wife was receiving. But here I don´t see it at all.

Words ..... achieving their intent.
Dennism, I am surprised that you would fall for such a gimmick.

Just ignore it ... under the auspices of "sticks and stones ...."

Yes, good point. It´s just flummery and I should not have responded to it. I took the bait as it were.

Today the Crown Princess inaugurated a new Cancer Research Center on behalf of the Danish Cancer Society.

More photos..

and finally..

Attachments

• CPsss opens new Cancer research center 8.jpg
    CPsss opens new Cancer research center 8.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 534
  • CPsss opens new Cancer research center 9.jpg
    CPsss opens new Cancer research center 9.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 609
  • CPsss opens new Cancer research center 13.jpg
    CPsss opens new Cancer research center 13.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 527
  • CPsss opens new Cancer research center 10.jpg
    CPsss opens new Cancer research center 10.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 496
  • CPsss opens new Cancer research center 11.jpg
    CPsss opens new Cancer research center 11.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 631
  • CPsss opens new Cancer research center 12.jpg
    CPsss opens new Cancer research center 12.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 488
  • CPsss opens new Cancer research center 7.jpg
    CPsss opens new Cancer research center 7.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 539
  • CPsss opens new Cancer research center 6.jpg
    CPsss opens new Cancer research center 6.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 498
  • CPsss opens new Cancer research center 5.jpg
    CPsss opens new Cancer research center 5.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 428
  • CPsss opens new Cancer research center 4.jpg
    CPsss opens new Cancer research center 4.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 497
  • CPsss opens new Cancer research center 2.jpg
    CPsss opens new Cancer research center 2.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 627
  • CPsss opens new Cancer research center.jpg
    CPsss opens new Cancer research center.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 877
wow! mary today did a wonderful job matching colours :)

She is stuning .... !!!! Thanks for the pics!

Reuters:

DENMARK'S Queen Margrethe has praised her daughter-in-law, Australian-born Crown Princess Mary, for adapting to royal life since she married Crown Prince Frederik in a fairytale wedding last May.

"It must be strenuous to come to a new country and take on her position," the queen told reporters at Fredensborg Palace north of Copenhagen on the launch today of a new royal biography. "She's doing a great job, I'm a proud mother-in-law," said Margrethe, who ascended to the Danish throne in 1972. If Mary Donaldson, who worked as a real estate agent in Sydney before meeting Fredrik at the 2000 Olympic games, found her new role difficult, the queen said she could expect it "to get easier as the years go by". "My job has become easier as I gained more experience but it will never become a routine for me," said the queen, who turns 65 later this month.

Earlier this month, Frederik's younger brother Prince Joachim officially divorced his Hong Kong-born wife Alexandra, but the divorce did nothing to dent the popularity of the Danish royal family which is supported by a large majority of Danes

Lovely!Thanks for the pics and Mary is really glorious Princess.She is doing really great Royal works.

More pics...

Fotomarktplatz

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 479
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 407
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 470
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,857
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 400
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 447
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 543
  • image_423822.jpg
    image_423822.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 398
There is no way to compare Crown Princess Mary of Denmark with Dutchess of Cornwall. CP Mary is a young and beautiful LADY. She has never brought troubles into anyone's marriage!!!!

Before heading of to Thailand the couple attended a reception for the diplomatic corps. Hopefully we'll see some nice gal pictures soon.

Fashionista100 said:
Mary has only done 2 photo shoots. One for Australian Vogue and one for the magazine Dansk. That's all.

Hasn't she done more than only 2?

1) Australian Vogue
2) DANSK
3) Women's Daily (or something like that in the teal skirt and black top)
4) an Australian publication which involved a photo shoot with Frederik with Mary in a black top and pants

So that would be 4 in total plus interviews she has given (like the Nikka one before her wedding) where there were no photoshoots but time was spent on the interviewing process.

Fashionista100 said:
If you are looking for reasons to hate Mary, you'll find them. As you would for any other crown princess or other princess for that matter.

It's not necessarily about hating or liking Mary. These are the facts. Just like it is a fact that Mary was born in Australia or that she has two sisters and a brother.

Few more pics from Fotobank

Attachments

• SP00-2594.jpg
    SP00-2594.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 394
  • SP00-2595.jpg
    SP00-2595.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 415
  • SP00-2596.jpg
    SP00-2596.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 388
  • SP00-2597.jpg