Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 3: November 2004 - May 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dexter_xii said:
Hi! I've never posted here before, but I thought some of you may be interested in an article that appeared in an Australian magazine that centres around some criticism Crown Princess Mary has drawn from the Royal Court about her being too glamorous (I’m paraphrasing here by the way, these are not my own words). I don’t know how much of the article is based on fact cause it's a trashy, gossip magazine but if anyone's interested I can post the article... might give you all something to discuss... Just let me know.

Yes, please post it. I´m sure we can have an interesting (but nice) discussion on it.
I´ve noticed, that lately many tabloids have started to bash Mary (mostly because of her so called "arrogant behaviour") I hope at least the tabloids in Denmark go on with their friendly reports. It must be like hell, when you were praised to the skies for 1,5 years and suddenly the rags start to search for mistakes and to give you an image of being arrogant and superficial :(

Last edited:
Why do some members of the press think Mary is "modeling"?:confused: Because a cp chose to dress nice for royal events and duties...all of a sudden, she's a model? What's up with that?

Last edited:
I think it has more to do with the number of fashion spreads and magazine articles CPM has posed for.

Napoleon said:
I think it has more to do with the number of fashion spreads and magazine articles CPM has posed for.

How many has she done?

sommone said:
How many has she done?
She has only done two! Vouge in september and DANSK in februrary, but in press-terms(tabloids) two times becomes "many times", "constantly", "all the time" etc.

she actually did 4 as far as i know

-"THE AUSTRALIAN WOMEN´S WEEKLY"(febr.2005)
-VOGUE Australia (nov. 2004)
-SUNDAY TASMANIAN (febr. 2005)
-"DANKS" (feb 2005)

i don't know why margarethe doesn't say anything... don't think alex did so many covers in not even 1 year of being princess...

carlota said:
she actually did 4 as far as i know

-"THE AUSTRALIAN WOMEN´S WEEKLY"(febr.2005)
-VOGUE Australia (nov. 2004)
-SUNDAY TASMANIAN (febr. 2005)
-"DANKS" (feb 2005)

i don't know why margarethe doesn't say anything... don't think alex did so many covers in not even 1 year of being princess...
Vogue and to some extend Dansk, were actual fashionshoots and were made for fashionreasons. Women's weekly and Sunday Tasmanien, were just the kind of pictures, that usually are taken, when people give interviews. In Sunday Times almost every picture were taken together with Frederik. All the members of the DRF, have through out time, had pictures taken when giving interviews. Of course they have nice clothes on, but that does not makes it fashionshoots or moddeling. Princess Alexandra has done several. The most recent was the interview for Costume, where she also posed for the camera.

Crown Princess Mary as Patron of The Danish Cancer Foundation/Society

Can someone please translate this article?? Thanks

Rekordindsamling

26,2 millioner kroner til Kræftens Bekæmpelse
Kronprinsesse Mary støtter Kræftens Bekæmpelses landsindsamling, her giver hun sit private bidrag i Fredensborg til de lokale indsamlere - Mor og datter: Iben og Bolette Rasmussen.

Kræftens Bekæmpelse nåede ved landsindsamlingen søndag 26,2 millioner kroner. Det flotte resultat blev samlet ind af ca. 25.000 frivillige over hele landet. Det har været indsamling i 270 af landets kommuner.

Hendes Kongelige Højhed Kronprinsesse Mary støttede landsindsamlingen ved at opfordre til:

"At vi alle er med til at hjælpe dem, der hjælper andre".

-Og det gjorde befolkningen. Vi er meget taknemmelige over det flotte resultat og over, at så mange er parate til at støtte den vigtige kamp mod kræft, siger Anne Thomassen, formand for Kræftens Bekæmpelse.

Anne Thomassen retter en stor tak til de mange tusinder, der har brugt deres søndag på at samle ind til Kræftens Bekæmpelse.

-Det er et imponerende resultat, og vi er glade for, at der var så mange unge blandt indsamlerne, siger Anne Thomassen.

Temaet for indsamlingen var: "Flere overvinder kræft". 30.000 danskere rammes hvert år af kræft, men stadig flere vinder over deres sygdom. I dag er der over 200.000 mennesker, som har vundet over kræften eller lever med sygdommen.

De indsamlede penge bruges til forskning, patientstøtte og forebyggelse.

I Fredensborg-Humlebæk var der i 2005 ialt. 75 indsamlere, og de fik ialt 118.000 kr.

i 2004 indsamleder 105 personer 117.659 kr.

Attachments

• kronprinsessengiveretbidrag.jpg
    kronprinsessengiveretbidrag.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 1,073
dexter_xii said:
Hi! I've never posted here before, but I thought some of you may be interested in an article that appeared in an Australian magazine that centres around some criticism Crown Princess Mary has drawn from the Royal Court about her being too glamorous (I’m paraphrasing here by the way, these are not my own words). I don’t know how much of the article is based on fact cause it's a trashy, gossip magazine but if anyone's interested I can post the article... might give you all something to discuss... Just let me know.

Perhaps you did not get a chance to read Michelle Cazzulino's excellent article in the Daily Telegraph, calling this article to task for the need to attack the princess for being too glamorous by using the scurrilous "insider reports". Mary is working hard for her new country, how callous that tabs use her face to sell their trash. All the Crown Princesses are working hard and should all be afforded time and respect for the overwhelming jobs they have assumed. JMHO http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story.jsp?sectionid=1269&storyid=2913730

pdas1201 said:
Can someone please translate this article?? Thanks
Last Sunday 4-4-05 (the same day she gave a short speech at the HCA reception) The Crown Princess attended the Danish Cancer Society National Collection drive. courtesy of the CPMEMB.
Cancer Society collects record sum

The Danish Cancer Society collected a record sum of DKK 26.2mn during its national collection drive on Sunday

Nearly 25,000 volunteers from the Danish Cancer Society fanned out across the country on Sunday to raise money for prevention, treatment, and research of the deadly disease. Their efforts paid off, as they collected a record sum of DKK 26.2mn (EUR 3.5mn).

Crown Princess Mary, benefactor of the society, offered her encouragement to the collectors and donors.

‘It’s important that we help those who help others,’ she said.

Chairman of the Cancer Society Anne Thomassen expressed her appreciation.

‘We are grateful for the excellent results, and that so many people are ready to join in the fight against cancer.’

She also thanked the many volunteers who used their Sunday to knock on doors and rattle the collection boxes: ‘It’s an impressive result, and we are happy that there were so many young people among the collectors.’

Each year, 30,000 Danes are diagnosed with cancer.

/ritzau/

Mary inaugurates boat

I like this hat!

Attachments

• AP919711_guest.jpg
    AP919711_guest.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 246
  • AP919708_guest.jpg
    AP919708_guest.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,465
Last edited by a moderator:
Crown Princess Mary inaugurated the container ship "Mary Arctica" in Copenhagen this afternoon, pics from Polfoto:

Attachments

• AP469124_guest.jpg.jpg
    AP469124_guest.jpg.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 213
  • AP469125_guest.jpg.jpg
    AP469125_guest.jpg.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 638
  • AP469126_guest.jpg.jpg
    AP469126_guest.jpg.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 227
  • AP469127_guest.jpg.jpg
    AP469127_guest.jpg.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 219
  • AP469128_guest.jpg.jpg
    AP469128_guest.jpg.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 254
  • AP469130_guest.jpg.jpg
    AP469130_guest.jpg.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 188
  • AP469131_guest.jpg.jpg
    AP469131_guest.jpg.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 717
  • AP919709_guest.jpg.jpg
    AP919709_guest.jpg.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 180
  • AP469132_guest.jpg.jpg
    AP469132_guest.jpg.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 291
  • AP469134_guest.jpg.jpg
    AP469134_guest.jpg.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 605
Thanks for the photos. I love this hat, it's my favorite from her hat collection.:)

She looks very nice. I think this is her third time wearing this outfit. It's good that she recycles.

Pics from fotomarktplatz

Princess Mary named the container ship "Mary Artica" from the Royal Artic Line. It was built in Polish harbor of "Gdansk." The ship is made especially for sailing in Artic waters and will go on its made voyage to Greenland very soon.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 243
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 366
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 288
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 433
Wonderful pics!!
It semes be cold in Danemark??? Well at list mutch more cold ....

are the organisors of these events informed about the princess's outfit? it seems that the bouquet she gets always matches with her outfits.

farah said:
are the organisors of these events informed about the princess's outfit? it seems that the bouquet she gets always matches with her outfits.
Thanks everyone for the great photos. That is a very interesting observation. I have never really noticed that. If she is like most women, what she intends on wearing and what she actually wears will be two completely different outfits, so it will be hard to order flowers that match at the last minute. But, she probably has someone picking out her clothes for an event like this, so she (hopefully!) wouldn't have a fashion crisis. I really like her outfit. The skirt is really lovely, and I wouldn't mind adding that hat to my collection.

Lovely!!!!!Thanks lots for pics.Is that the new hat of Princess Mary?I think it's a little similar to the hat Princess mette Marit just wear recently only different colours.

Thanks everyone for the great pictures. Here's few scanpix pics from www.tv2.dk

Attachments

• SCANPIX 01.jpg
    SCANPIX 01.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 252
  • SCANPIX 02.jpg
    SCANPIX 02.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 202
  • SCANPIX 03.jpg
    SCANPIX 03.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 628
  • SCANPIX 04.jpg
    SCANPIX 04.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 204
  • SCANPIX 05.jpg
    SCANPIX 05.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 211
Some pics from AAP:

Attachments

• amary1.jpg
    amary1.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 237
  • amary2.jpg
    amary2.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 211
  • amary3.jpg
    amary3.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 211
  • amary4.jpg
    amary4.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 235
A BIG thanks to potter from CPMMB for providing the link.

These pics are from the Royal Artic Lines website (ral.gl)...Enjoy:)
Set 1

Attachments

• c.jpg
    c.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 228
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 246
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 267
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 254
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 225
  • i.jpg
    i.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 186
  • h.jpg
    h.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 254
  • j.jpg
    j.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 198
  • k.jpg
    k.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 252
  • 4m.jpg
    4m.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 232
Set 2

Attachments

• 5m.jpg
    5m.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 205
  • 6m.jpg
    6m.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 214
  • 7m.jpg
    7m.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 199
  • 8m.jpg
    8m.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 219
  • 9m.jpg
    9m.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 214
  • 10m.jpg
    10m.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 194
  • 11m.jpg
    11m.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 296
  • 12m.jpg
    12m.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 212
  • 13m.jpg
    13m.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 251
  • 17m.jpg
    17m.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 209
Last set

Attachments

• 18m.jpg
    18m.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 208
  • 19m.jpg
    19m.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 185
is there any video of the crashing of the champagne bottle?

No I didn't see that article, thanx for posting the link. I agree that any article, particularly one that appears in a trashy gossip magazine such as New Idea quotes their source as being "a royal insider" it should be treated as suspicious. But I guess most of us know better than to rely on information disclosed in those kinds of articles anyway...

Here's the infamous article...

Glamour Queen

Danish courtiers are worried that Princess Mary is becoming so popular she could eclipse Crown prince Frederick, the future King.

Danish spin doctors have been called in by royal advisers and parliamentarians to create a new image for Princess Mary as she is considered far too glamorous, and there is fear at court that she might eventually upstage her husband, Crown Princes Frederik.

“All at court are scared of a Charles and Diana situation- Mary becoming more popular than Frederik- so they are going to prevent this, rather than find a solution afterwards” a royal insider tells us.

He continues: “At first, all at court were delighted the people had accepted Mary and it didn’t matter she was not royal-born and not even from one of Europe’s aristocratic families. But some are saying that Mary is too “visible” and that like Diana, she’s the crowd-puller, and that it even looks as if she’s the royal and Frederik is accompanying her, rather then she him.

And it has not gone unnoticed that when the couple appear at functions together, the cameras zoom in on Mary.

‘Of course it’s not Mary’s fault that this is happening because a beautiful woman is much more interesting than a man, even a handsome one, but Mary does seem to seek out the cameras just as Diana did. And journalists are not doing anything to tone down her popularity as they write about Mary’s clothes before they mention the humanitarian aspects of the function the two are attending.’

It’s been pointed out that this is exactly what happened to Diana, which has caused some degree of alarm at court.

The insider says: “Within two months of her marriage Mary had undergone a Diana-type metamorphosis and all are wondering what Frederik makes of this. He married a girl who didn’t mind being photographed in jeans, but now she travels with a hair and make-up guru.”

“Of course, there has been a ‘Fred issue’ for years as the prince had a somewhat rebellious youth when it was no secret he doubted he was capable of being king, an opinion that many Danes shared with him.

But since the mid-1990’s he’s had a rise in popularity, even being vote Dane of the Year. No ones wants to risk him being upstaged by his wife.’

So the spin doctors have been asked to create a more serious image for Mary.

‘An image more in line with the rest of the family’ the insider explains.

There are six spin doctors and only one is a woman. She’s a court reporter and covered the Australian tour to see where Mary’s image can be toned down.

And back in Copenhagen the rest of the team is busy with the remodelling of Mary.

‘Ever since the announcement of the couple’s engagement, humanitarian organisations and foundations have been inundating the palace with requests for Mary to become their patron, so this is the first path the spin doctors are exploring.’

Mary has therefore become the patron for several Danish organisations, such as the Association for Mental Health, the Brian Injury Association and the Heart Association. The latter two her father-in-law Prince Henrik handed to her, which our source says proves the urgency with which the palace is treating the issue.

Mary is a patron of the Copenhagen International Fashion Fair and Christmas Seal Foundation and is involved with the Dandelion Youth Outreach Centre of Greenland. Then there are negotiations between the spin doctors and the palace for Mary to join her husband on the board of the Danish Red Cross and to become the patron of the Danish Cancer Society.

A project to join the board of the Danish branch of UNICEF collapsed however, as UNICEF is considered the niche of her sister-in-law Princess Alexandra.

In the spin doctors’ opinion it would be excellent to foster Mary’s maternal image.

‘They want her to be photographed cradling an ill child rather than arriving at a society luncheon dressed to the nines.

‘The prince once said he wants to catch the pulse of the Danish people and live by its rhythm, which is what the spin doctors are bearing in mind. But they also have in mind the Crown Prince’s mother, Queen Margreth, is only about to turn 65 and is in excellent health. Whatever they plan for Mary will have to be a long-term project.’

Last edited by a moderator:
HMQueenElizabethII said:
Lovely!!!!!Thanks lots for pics.Is that the new hat of Princess Mary?I think it's a little similar to the hat Princess mette Marit just wear recently only different colours.

The hat isn't really new. She wore it last year at the visit at Hirstchals. The hat is indeed similar to ones worn by Crown Princess Mette-Marit and Princess Alexandra. They are all by Philip Treacy.

Attachments

• CPss opening a highway in Northern Jutland.jpg
    CPss opening a highway in Northern Jutland.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 276
  • CPss Baptizing Mary Artcia 4-7-05.jpg
    CPss Baptizing Mary Artcia 4-7-05.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 232
To comment on something in Thread 9-if the Danish courtiers are worried Mary has become too glamourous, then it´s a result of Mary´s posing like a model in so many mags, instead of focusing on more serious stuff. None of the other princesses posed in so many mags, and certainly not in the first year of becoming princesses. Mary seemed to suddenly develop this craze to be photographed in designer clothes. Not quite the "simple" girl Fred thought he married.

Mary til hesteshowPolfoto 08-04-2005 Kronprinsesse Mary ankommer til opvisningsteltet på Fisketorvet, hvor hun kastede glans over gallapremieren på hesteshowet Levade Noble Horse Galla i København, fredag. (Uffe Kongsted/POLFOTO)

Attachments

• AP469388.jpg
    AP469388.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 892
  • AP469389.jpg
    AP469389.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 763
  • AP469390.jpg
    AP469390.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 554
  • AP469391.jpg
    AP469391.jpg