Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 2: April - November 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 11, 2004 - The Mercury Australia
Written By: Ben English

Mary Cries For Her Mum

Mary last night broke down and cried on Danish national television over the death of her mother....Mary broke down as she described her mother's dedication and love for her children. "I'm sure everyone would say the same of their mother but I don't think I could have had a better mum," she said as tears rolled down her cheeks. "I don't know why this is so hard to talk about...."

But the gravity of her loss would not sink in for some time. "Around 5am the phone rang. It was my father. He just said: `She's not here any more.' "I remember my feelings so vividly and clearly. I went into total shock. I dropped the phone and just kicked very, very hard, as if I wanted to hurt myself." It remains the most harrowing time of the young Tasmanian's life....Mary says her mother continues to give her strength - not merely through the values she instilled in her youngest daughter. "My parents have given me good and strong values in life: honesty, integrity and curiosity. But more than that, we felt a great love between them. Sometimes I feel she is very close," she says. "There are situations where she is right next to me."

Written By: Anne Wolden- Raethinge

My Wonderful Tassie Childhood

"My grandparents lived in Launceston in the north of Tasmania. In a kind of suburb they had a small, modest house and for us children it was nice to visit with them. We slept in the same room, my two sisters, my brother and me. At home we each had our separate rooms, apart from my sister and me, so it was great fun to sleep together, all of us at the same time. I vividly remember the day my grandfather died. I remember the grief in my father's voice and I remember crying. But I am not sure that at that age you feel grief in the same way you do when you grow older. Everybody cried. But did I cry because everybody around me cried, or was I really able to understand that I wouldn't see my grandfather again?"

"I was only six but I could see that my grandmother was so alone. She was a believer. She believed in God and was a spiritual person. And very positive. God was always with her, and she told us that. There was grief but there was also an acceptance and a kind of knowing that grandfather was still among us. My relationship with my grandmother was really special, maybe because I was named after her. But she treated all of us children individually. We each had our own special place with her, and at the same time we were regarded with the same affection. She had a big heart, and we felt that we each had our own part of it. She was there when my mother died and she was able to comfort me a lot then, exactly because of her way of thinking, her belief and trust, which I think is a rare quality in the world today."

"My grandmother died only three years ago. She was a proud human being and could see something good in everybody. She was such a mild person and very warm-hearted. She thought of everybody in the family and did everything to hold it together. I miss her. I really miss her very much. (Mary is visibly touched). I'm sorry - I have never really talked about her since, because I was away when she died. Sorry! It is difficult when you talk about someone who has meant so much in your life, and who is no longer there - I miss her voice and her caring. She used to send me letters and she was the last person I myself wrote letters to. She really means a lot to me, because she was one person I looked up to. My grandmother taught me that what you give is what you get. I learned to be proud of who you are."

"Right up till the day she died she was completely independent, managed on her own, nothing was a problem. She was in a lot of pain throughout the last part of her life but you never heard about it. She enjoyed every second of her life, right up until the end. And when the time came, she was ready to die. Ready to depart. What I admire most about her, is her cheerfulness. Even if she was sad about something, she could always find the positive side of it. I strongly believe in ... she would use the word God but I would use that word in a much more unorthodox way than her. She would say 'God is with you.' That is not something I would say but I would have a feeling that there is 'something' that is with me, a kind of higher power. But she and the great sorrows in my life has opened me much more to this 'higher meaning,' this positive faith...."

It´s so sad about her mom. I hope the Danish people will appreciate Mary even more for the loss that has happened in her life. She is stronger because of this loss and she will be a great queen one day!

Parents Imparted Good and Strong Values

"I have always known about happiness. My father told me, over and over: 'You should do that which makes you happy. That is the most important thing.' And he probably considers himself a lucky man. It seems as if he has an inbuilt strength, as if he could conquer the world. He has thought luck into the things he has done. He has also had the ability to give possibilities a chance. There are some who think but that is debatable that it was the Danish philosopher Soren Kierkegaard who said: 'To dare is to lose foothold for a moment. Not to dare is to lose yourself.' And I think that is precisely what life is about. It is a wonderful way to live life. So I agree with my father, because if you dare, your odds are normally good. But some will bet on lesser odds than others. And that makes a difference with people. My parents have given me my curiosity, but with that, also a confidence to use it. It is a very fine gift. Also a trust in one's own abilities. Of course there were certain things I did, beyond all discussion, but they showed me confidence, and that's why I dared take responsibility. And my mother? I have my mother's tender heart." (She laughs).

"She has given me the ability to see every human being as an important human being. She has given me the love of animals. They are so helpless, and we were both touched by their dependency on people's care and respect. These are some of the things my mother gave me. That we all count the same. I hope that when I have children, I will be like my mother. I think that the mother in certain periods of one's life is the most important person. One's greatest love. But not all through life. Like everything else, this also changes. But in every child's heart the mother quite naturally has a prominent place. Furthermore, I think I have my independence through the fact that I was the youngest of four. When I got older my mother told me that since my earliest childhood I hadn't needed her at all! Of course I needed her, but I was very much like: 'I can do that myself!'....My relationship with my father's new wife is different from that with my mother. She is of course not a mother to me, but she is a friend. And she is an important person in my life, because she is an important part of the family."

Butterflies Before Big Appearance

"It really became serious when we stepped out on the balcony at Amalienborg. Butterflies before big appearance. When we stood in front of the doors I tried to relax and take a few deep breaths. I had a feeling I couldn't go out there. I didn't feel that I wouldn't go out but it was just so overwhelming ... the combination of the sound from the crowd and then the need to calm myself down and say 'Let's do it!' "

"This was the first time I stood next to Frederik...in the official way, and to see how much people love their royal family. It was unbelievable. They cheered the Queen, Prince Henrik and Frederik - and then also me, because he has chosen me and we have chosen each other. It was wonderful to see our flag in the crowd and people were so happy. It was overwhelming just to look out at the thousands of people - I didn't know beforehand how I would feel. All these people around Frederik and me - it was a very moving moment. I don't think I could quite fathom it, so part of me just observed it. Frederik was also quite moved and both the Queen and Prince Henrik looked very happy - and my father was quite calm."

"It was an unbelievable experience. Then they wanted to see us again and again! A very happy day but the whole 24 hours were so busy, it was really from one thing to the other. It was a great day, because it was the first time I had to present myself to the Danish people. They had seen pictures of me but nobody had heard me say anything. Nobody knew what really was going on in my head and, of course, you are worried if people will be nice to you - and if I will be able to express what I really want to say. There is this thing with the language! At the same time it was a very happy day but not what I would call a free, happy feeling that we have experienced on other occasions. We have had a wonderful time before, just the two of us."

May 12, 2004 - The Mercury Australia

Danish Lilt Replaces Mary's Aussie Accent

Mary Donaldson's transformation from Tasmanian commoner into a Danish princess has already claimed one casualty -- her Australian accent. A fly-on-the-wall documentary shown on Danish TV revealed the former Taroona High School girl now speaks English with a distinct Scandinavian lilt.

Mary has been studying Danish three hours a day in a bid to perfect the notoriously difficult language before her marriage to Crown Prince Frederik this Friday. The bride-to-be's new accent sounded all the more stark when her siblings Jane, Patricia and John appeared on the film with broad Australian voices. Even her father acknowledged the dramatic change. "I think there is no doubt she has taken on Danish airs," John Donaldson said on the program, aired on Danish network DR1. "She does have a slight Danish touch in her voice, in her accent. Perhaps it's not obvious to people in Denmark but it's certainly obvious to us that there's a slight accent there."

The documentary followed Mary and Frederik on a trip to her homeland, where they caught up with family and friends in Hobart, Melbourne and Sydney. In interviews interspersed through the show, Mary, her siblings and Professor Donaldson recall Mary's life from when she was a young girl, through her school and university years to her budding career as a marketing executive. Her bosses at various advertising companies also speak about the young career woman. Frederik is not interviewed but is filmed kicking back with the whole family and in some lighter moments with Mary as she drives him around her island home. Professor Donaldson also speaks glowingly about the prince, particularly his old-fashioned gesture of asking him for his daughter's hand. The move caught the mathematics professor, who was in Korea at the time, off guard. "I was absolutely delighted," he says.

A New World And Many New Ways

"Danish is a difficult language. I can only compare it with my own, because I haven't learned foreign languages before. The most difficult part is the pronunciation. To me it is a completely new way of making sounds. It is not easy to understand either, because in the beginning you can't hear the difference between the words or the expressions. It takes time for your ears to become trained in listening to and understanding Danish."

"At the moment it is rather exciting -- I understand more and more, and the more I understand, the faster I learn it. The easiest is to read it and I also write in Danish. It is probably because I learn better ... visually. If, for instance, you say a new word, I prefer to know how you spell it, then I can create a picture of that word in my head. I already know that Danish and Australian humour is alike, so I can feel the Danish humour in the Danish language, which is nice. It is still nice to be able to have a deep conversation in English and it is hard to change from English to Danish when you know somebody really well. Frederik and I speak English with each other, because we got to know each other through the English language, but we speak more and more Danish together, because it is good for me to practise."

"I try to have tuition every day, so my head is full of the Danish language. On Monday, Wednesday and Friday I have lessons from 8.30 until 11.30; Tuesday and Thursday from 2.30pm until 5.30pm. I would like to become as fluent as I can and, preferably, as fast as possible. The lessons have highest priority now. I still prefer to express my innermost thoughts in English. It will be very hard for me to explain my feelings and very complicated subjects in Danish. Gradually I am able to be more spontaneous in Danish but if I am stressed, the language can suddenly disappear. That worries me a little. All of a sudden I don't know what to say. Even if I know what I want to say, I can't. Everybody who has to learn a new language experiences that kind of thing."

"When we have children, the language at home will be Danish, of course, but also a mix from the very beginning, because children so easily absorb new things -- language, too -- like a sponge. They learn so easily and if they do so from the very start, they get good at languages. At the dinner-table, for instance, you often sit and talk together and it is there family life blossoms, so that will be in Danish."

"I use a lot of methods to learn Danish. I watch Danish TV series -- that's a very good way to learn the language, the Danish mentality, Danish history and culture. I read a lot of books by Danish authors and Danish history books and I read the paper every day. I have two teachers. We go to exhibitions, visit art museums, see a lot of different things. It is fundamental for me to be able to speak the language. If you live in a country with a language different from your own, it is your duty to learn it if you want to be part of that country."

Mary's Vision For A Royal Makeover

Mary Donaldson has developed a business plan to secure the future of the royal family she will join this Friday. The former marketing executive has shown a more ruthless side to her character by outlining her blueprint for the Danish monarchy's survival. In the most extensive interview before she embarks on a new life as a crown princess, Mary says the traditional royal model must be modernised. She warns the institution will be doomed unless it moves with the times. "You cannot exclusively cut ribbons at openings, you must also think strategically," she tells Danish newspaper Politiken in her own words, exclusively obtained by The Mercury. "You must be able to 'read the market' and find out in which direction you can develop yourself in order to stay 'relevant' in that 'market'. You must test some new limits, new methods. There is nothing wrong in trying some new ideas, you know. You can always test them on a few 'focus areas' in society."

Mary describes the Danish monarchy -- which has managed to avoid the public relations disasters that have dogged Britain's royal family for years -- as "the definition of a modern monarchy". But she says there is no room for complacency in a 21st century royal family. "I think the royal family must show enough wisdom to see how they can continue developing a strategy for survival. Just like any other undertaking in a competitive world. What must we do to secure our position? What will we have to change? What can you add to monarchy as a trademark to give it more importance and meaning in society? The royal family and the court must work intensively to understand the ongoing change in society and on finding those areas they can fill out. The monarchy must itself show intelligence. There must be a warm, positive feeling around it. Honesty. Far-sightedness. Not just do things the way they have always been done. Because society is not like it has always been. You must be wise enough to see the necessity of change. You must follow with the times."

During the extensive interview, conducted during seven sessions over five months in the Danish capital, Mary acknowledges what many have thought since the world learnt of her romance with the crown prince. "I guess you could say, it's a modern fairytale," she says. "A fairytale goes on inside your head, I guess, but I would never have been able to imagine this. It's a fairytale for everybody who meets the person they want to spend the rest of their life with and who are planning a wedding." And the princess-in-waiting reveals her desire to carve out a Diana-style career in helping the needy -- in particular the mentally ill. She also talks for the first time about children, and the sort of mother she'd like to be. "We both see ourselves with children. I don't know how many. It depends on so many things. But I hope we will get a chance to have as many as we want. There must be an element of discipline, but the best gift you can give to your children is the good, strong values." Mary insists she that while she intends to continue to work for the monarchy, she will never depend upon hired help in raising her kids. "To a large degree, I will see myself as a mother working away from home. But I will be 100 per cent mother. My children shall not be raised by nannies," she says.

There was a discussion of Mary being anorexic. Before I read the discussion I saw a picture of Mary in a grey outfit (not the one with the marine) and I was shocked by her appearance. She looked very thin and the jacket too large. My thoughts were that she must me anorexic. I searched for the photo, but I couldn't find it again. I was pleased that she looked great on the other photo's. I love the couple almost more than our W.A. and Maxima. I like her most on unofficial occasions, I didn't like the official clothing with the marine. It looked forced to me and not her own kind of clothing. I look forward to their wedding and their appearance in public.

I' m another Australian and another person who thinks she is very beautiful. She has the poise and grace to make a fine, modern princess. I can't wait for the wedding!!

;) Hi

A documentary titled "Mary Elizabeth Donaldson" has just aired on television here in Australia, I just wondered what peoples thoughts were on it (those in Australia who just saw it) I'm not sure if it has been shown around the world - probably has though, as it showed a fair bit around Australia.

Shane

A supply to my reaction yesterday about Mary being anorexic. The photo I meant was today published in my newspaper. It is the one that she left church with Fred's mother. She really looked awfull thin and boney.

Mary insists she that while she intends to continue to work for the monarchy, she will never depend upon hired help in raising her kids. "To a large degree, I will see myself as a mother working away from home. But I will be 100 per cent mother. My children shall not be raised by nannies," she says.

I hope Mary keep her promise about not having nannies for her children.

She didn't say she's not having nannies; she said she hopes to be able to raise them herself and not have the nanny raise them full time. With all her appearances, she will have to have help.

In response to Happy's question - I saw the interview last night and I thought Mary came across very well. To someone who doesnt speak another language I though when Mary spoke Danish she sounded fluent - I could be wrong because I only speak English. I also thought that M & F appeared very in love. There were losts of little gestures which I interpreted as love between the two of them. Im a bit of a romantic - but I loved it and I think Mary will be a great addition to the Royal family. :

from http://www.smh.com.au

Republicans threaten Mary's reign

As Denmark is consumed by royal wedding fever, a simmering Danish republican movement is pushing for a referendum which could leave the country's Australian princess-in-waiting out in the cold.

The chances of the Glucksborg monarchy being abolished in pro-royal Denmark are extremely slim, but not all Danes are entranced by Friday's wedding of Hobart-born Mary Donaldson and the heir to their throne, Crown Prince Frederik.

All Danish political parties have been invited to the wedding at Copenhagen Cathedral, but only the far left Enhedslisten (Unity List) has rejected the invitation.

Sophie Bergmann, one of 2500 card-carrying members of the Unity List-Red Green Alliance party, believes Denmark should follow Australia's lead and hold a referendum on abolishing the monarchy.

But Bergmann accepted that a referendum would fail the first time, as Australia's vote did in 1999.

"We should have a vote like you guys did," Bergmann, 31, said while working at Floss bar in central Copenhagen.

"I'm not sure we'd get rid of them that way. But it seems like there's more and more against them.

It probably wouldn't happen straight away, but if we have a vote every five years, say, it could eventually happen. It would be more democratic."

Recent polls gave Queen Margrethe II, who has reigned since 1972, an approval rating of 80 per cent.

Those 20 per cent who want change are not plotting a coup, but say they would be happy to wait until the queen dies or abdicates.

And if they get their republican way, Crown Princess Mary will never become Queen Mary.

Jeppe Stig Nielsen, the spokesman for republican group Abolish the Monarchy, says anti-royal feeling is growing.

"We are virtually swamped by applications from people who are sick and tired of the bowing and scraping for the royals," he told the De Bergske Blade newspaper.

But Bergmann acknowledged that, compared to their British cousins the Windsors, the Glucksborgs are a model family.

"They're OK for a royal family, it's not them I'm against, it's just the whole concept," she said.

"The head of the state should be chosen, not born in the job.

"And the royal family costs too much money."

There was plenty of money splashed out, but no hint of republicanism, when pre-wedding celebrations continued last night with a state banquet at Christiansborg Palace, the home of the Danish parliament and prime minister's office.

Prime Minister Anders Fog Rasmussen told 300 mostly Danish political and military guests that Donaldson would be a "princess of our times" for her adopted country.

"You have already taken the Danish people by storm. The whole nation bids you welcome as the future wife of the Crown Prince," he said.

"I have no doubt that you possess whatever is needed to fill and leave your mark on the role you are to take on for our country; the role of a real princess of our times."

Donaldson's parents, two sisters, brother and their spouses all attended the four-course dinner at the Royal Reception Rooms in the palace. All guests wore formal gowns and suits.

For the first time, Donaldson wore the Order of the Elephant on her sash, Denmark's oldest order reserved only for royals and foreign heads of state.

Tomorrow's evening meal will be a little more relaxed for the couple, with Sydney chef Luke Mangan preparing a buffet dinner for 100 of their younger friends.

Their commitments don't slow down as Friday's wedding approaches, with receptions today and Thursday at Copenhagen City Hall and at the parliament, as well as a gala performance at the Royal Theatre on the eve of their nuptials.

from http://www.smh.com.au

Denmark's future crown princess hopes for children

Five days before her marriage to the Danish heir to the throne, Australia's princess-to-be Mary Donaldson says she is looking forward to motherhood.

In an interview published in the Copenhagen daily Politiken's weekend edition, the 32-year-old Tasmanian said she and Crown Princess Frederik, 35, hoped to have many children, and she would like to raise them herself.

"There was no spark that first evening," she said about her first encounter with the crown prince at the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney.

But it resulted in a relationship that continued for some 14 months.

She was very nervous before meeting Queen Margrethe for the first time in April 2002, she admitted.

Frederik's remarks that his mother was equally nervous helped calm her down, and the meeting went well.

If it had not, she said she would not have asked Frederik to abdicate in order to marry her.

"He has a warm, warm heart, he is loyal and honest," she said of her husband-to-be, adding that he was "curious and can be full of surprises".

About her future role as crown princess, Ms Donaldson said she would offer her services to voluntary groups although she did not disclose which she had in mind.

The former law student does not appear to be daunted by marrying into one of the world's oldest royal families; the Danish monarchy claims its roots back to Gorm the Old who died in AD958.

In her view, the monarchy has to change with the times, taking into consideration a less hierarchical and "more competitive society", she said, adding that the royals should refrain from making political statements.

Meanwhile, Copenhagen city buses will, for the first time, fly a foreign flag to honour the wedding.

It will be the first time the city's 1100 public buses will fly anything other than the Danish flag, officials said.

from the http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au

Mary loses Aussie accent

MARY Donaldson's transformation from Tasmanian commoner into a Danish princess has already claimed one casualty - her Australian accent.

A fly-on-the-wall documentary shown on Danish TV revealed the former Taroona High School girl now speaks English with a distinct Scandinavian lilt.
Mary has been studying Danish three hours a day in a bid to perfect the notoriously difficult language before her marriage to Crown Prince Frederik this Friday.

The bride-to-be's new accent sounded all the more stark when her siblings Jane, Patricia and John appeared on the film with broad Australian voices.

Even her father acknowledged the dramatic change.

"I think there is no doubt she has taken on Danish airs," John Donaldson said on the program, aired on Danish network DR1.

"She does have a slight Danish touch in her voice, in her accent.

"Perhaps it's not obvious to people in Denmark but it's certainly obvious to us that there's a slight accent there."

The documentary followed Mary and Frederik on a trip to her homeland, where they caught up with family and friends in Hobart, Melbourne and Sydney.

In interviews interspersed through the show, Mary, her siblings and Professor Donaldson recall Mary's life from when she was a young girl, through her school and university years to her budding career as a marketing executive.

Her bosses at various advertising companies also speak about the young career woman.

Frederik is not interviewed but is filmed kicking back with the whole family and in some lighter moments with Mary as she drives him around her island home.

Professor Donaldson also speaks glowingly about the prince, particularly his old-fashioned gesture of asking him for his daughter's hand.

The move caught the mathematics professor, who was in Korea at the time, off guard.

"I was absolutely delighted," he says.

from the http://www.theage.com.au

Danes turn up the heir conditioning

As the Australian commoner Mary Donaldson glides through a succession of public appearances towards her fairytale marriage to Denmark's Crown Prince Frederik, the pressure is mounting.

The next and biggest assignment for the former Sydney real estate agent is to produce an heir to the Danish throne.

On the eve of their nuptials, an internet betting agency, betxpert.com, is offering odds of 55-1 that Ms Donaldson, 32, will have a child with the dashing former naval frogman Frederik this year, 1.7-1 for 2005, and 2.35-1 by 2006.

The Malta-based agency believes Mary and Frederik are more likely to have a boy (1.7-1) than a girl (2-1) and does not entirely rule out the happy couple staying childless until 2007 (6-1). The British firm Ladbrokes puts the odds of a child within a year at 3-1.

Ms Donaldson, the star guest of a state banquet at Christiansborg Palace on Tuesday night, hosted by her future mother-in-law, Queen Margrethe, has won over Denmark with her seemingly natural poise, style and mastery of the Danish language, one of the world's most difficult.

The Tasmanian-born princess-in-waiting looked resplendent in jewelled tiara, necklace and, for the first time, Denmark's Order of the Elephant, a brooch-like honour normally only worn by members of the royal family and foreign heads of state.

Her ruby and diamond tiara and necklace set was once owned by Frederik's late grandmother, the Swedish-born Queen Ingrid, and are now part of the Danish royal treasure trove. Known as the Rubens Collection, they were made in Paris in the early 1800s.

At the banquet, Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen praised Ms Donaldson as a "real princess of our times. I have no doubt that you possess whatever is needed to fill and leave your mark on the role you are to take for our country."

Most Danes - and Ms Donaldson herself - know that part of that role will be to deliver heirs for a monarchy that dates back to Gorm the Old in 958, a Viking king who converted to Christianity and vowed to give up raping and pillaging and to unite his country.

Trine Larsen, a veteran royal commentator with Denmark's biggest-selling tabloid, Ekstra Bladet, said the pressure on Ms Donaldson to produce would start on Saturday.

"As cold as it is to say, that's the only thing she has to do," she told The Age. "It's her job. But she'll be fine, they are so much in love."

Australian restaurateur Luke Mangan, who cooked for the couple at an official dinner hosted by Governor-General Mike Jeffery on Saturday night, said Ms Donaldson seemed perfectly aware of the expectations surrounding her new role, including the need to procreate.

Describing her as "friendly", "gutsy" and "smart", Mr Mangan said: "She got some natural class about her. She's not one of those Aussie bimbos."

About 800 guests are expected at tomorrow's wedding at Copenhagen's cathedral, and while secrecy surrounds the guest list, dignitaries are expected to include Prince Edward and Sophie, Countess of Wessex, representing the British royals, and a who's who of princesses and princes from continental Europe, as well as Thailand and Japan.

The couple are expected to take the royal yacht to Greenland, which is part of Denmark, for their honeymoon and, in between deck games, may find time to get on with their royal duties. Five million Danes will be waiting.

Originally posted by happy_27@May 12th, 2004 - 8:59 am
;) Hi

A documentary titled "Mary Elizabeth Donaldson" has just aired on television here in Australia, I just wondered what peoples thoughts were on it (those in Australia who just saw it) I'm not sure if it has been shown around the world - probably has though, as it showed a fair bit around Australia.

Shane
Unfortunately, it was boring. It showed that she was your average australian women, who worked here, lived there, family etc. I was expecting a fairytale drama unfolding before my eyes but for entertainment sake, it wasn't.

I did find her new accent and refined speech interesting, in contrast to how she spoke once and how her family talk.

Originally posted by Dennism@May 11th, 2004 - 9:39 am
It´s so sad about her mom. I hope the Danish people will appreciate Mary even more for the loss that has happened in her life. She is stronger because of this loss and she will be a great queen one day!
Why would one appreciate Mary even more for her loss?

Agreed it is sad and sympathy is at mind in the moment of hearing of her loss, though it is nothing unusual. Lots of people a stronger because of such things. I don't appreciate her even more because she's experienced on of life's sadder moments.

Doesn't necessarily correlate with her being a good queen one day either.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 14, 2004 - The Mercury Australia
Written By: Margaretta Pos

Fashion Gurus Give Mary's Gear Full Marks

Conservative Mary's clothes may be, but Australia's fashion arbiters approve of what she has been wearing in the lead-up to her wedding to Denmark's Crown Prince Frederik. Vogue Australia editor Kirstie Clements said they were appropriate. "She's walking a really nice line between being modern and regal," she said yesterday. "I'm a big fan." Cosmopolitan editor and editor-in-chief of Cosmo Bride and Dolly, Mia Freedman said the traditional look suited Mary. She went further, saying Mary is a role model for flat-chested women. "She is flat-chested and boyish in shape and doesn't try to hide it," she said. "She's a role model for small-boobed women, right up there with Nicole Kidman."

Ms Freedman said Mary was is wise to err on the side of caution. "When she lived in Sydney, she was never an out-there girl and now she's in the eye of the media storm," she said. "She can't afford to take a fashion risk, not this week." Ms Clements also thought it wise of Mary to "play safe" before the wedding, saying she could be more adventurous later. "She has to please the royal family, Danes and the media, and it's important she shows decorum," she said. Ms Clements thought Mary looked wonderful in the silk brocade dress with scoop neck and capped sleeves that she wore at a banquet at Christiansborg Palace. "I think she looked beautiful -- the dress, the tiara, the perfect make-up," she said. Ms Clements also thought the pale lilac suit and and hat she wore for the royal salute to mark the start of the week's celebrations were right for the occasion. "Royals are required to wear clothes for particular occasions," she said. "It's not about pleasing herself, it's about presenting an image of sobriety." On the other hand, Mary's choice for the rock concert was also the right one, when she wore jeans and dangling earrings, pulled together with a jacket. "I don't think people should be critical of her clothes this week," she said. "She is a really wonderful ambassador for us and we should be so proud of her."

Originally posted by montecarlo@May 12th, 2004 - 12:32 pm
I hope Mary keep her promise about not having nannies for her children.
I think it would be impossible for Mary not have a couple of nannies for her children. Between all ther royal engagements and trips abroad, I think some help with future children would be required.

I think Mary means that the nannies will not be surrogate parents to her children and that she will do as much of the work herself in raising her children, but no help at all would be impossible with the rigorous schedule Mary keeps.

Even Alexandra and Joachim have (at least) two nannies for their sons, and their schedules won't be as rigorous as the ones Frederik and Mary will be expected to take on and keep up.

Is there a link where I can hear Mary speak in Danish. Alexandra gave a speech before her wedding....will Mary do the same?

from the http://news.scotsman.com/

Danish Prince's Fiancee has Scottish Ancestry - Maybe Viking Blood

Mary Donaldson, Crown Prince Frederik’s Australian fiancee whose parents emigrated from Scotland, may have Viking blood flowing in her veins, the speaker of the Danish Parliament said today, on the eve of the couple’s wedding.

Frederik, Donaldson and their respective families were welcomed by 179 MPs and scores of parliament employees who handed over a photograph of their wedding gift to the couple – a mahogany dinner table designed by 20th century Danish designer icon Hans J. Wegner that seats 14.

Tomorrow, the couple will marry at Copenhagen’s Lutheran cathedral and as many as 250,000 people are expected to jam the city centre to get a glimpse of the newlyweds after the ceremony as they parade in a horse-drawn carriage.

Donaldson’s parents emigrated from Edinburgh to Australia in 1963, taking citizenship in 1975.

Donaldson, 32, who will become the first Australian woman to stand in line to become queen, was born in Hobart, the capital of Australia’s island state of Tasmania, in 1972.

“Your Scottish ancestors are, no doubt, at the root of your strong character,” Speaker Christian Mejdahl said, adding she had shown her mettle by remaining “calm and cool during a period in which the growing interest in your person must invariably at times have seemed to you to be somewhat indiscreet and perhaps even prying.”

He added: “Allow me to say that there may even be a little Viking blood in you as well.”

While some Vikings took over Normandy in northwestern France, other Norsemen raided Britain, including Scotland, and took Cadix and Seville in Spain and ruined dozens of abbeys in Ireland.

“Therefore you cannot fail to be the right wife for the Crown Prince who has, on numerous occasions, shown his Viking courage in demanding situations throughout the years,” parliament speaker said.

Mejdahl said he would not accuse Frederik, 35, “of being a plunderer exploiting distant, foreign shores in this connection”.

“I am sure that you, Miss Donaldson, followed His Royal Highness back to Denmark of your own accord,” he said prompting laughter from the royal family and the crowd.

Later today, the heir to the Danish throne and Donaldson will attend a show at the 18th century Royal Theatre featuring ballet, classical music, jazz and rock.

from the http://news.com.au

The laughing princess

IT was a moment any woman - let alone one in the world spotlight - would dread.

Mary Donaldson's flawless preparations for her wedding to Crown Prince Frederik caught a snag yesterday. Or rather a gust of wind.

When the princess-to-be was left bare headed when her floppy hat flew off as she arrived at the Danish Parliament she took it in her stride.

Mary looked momentarily embarrassed but then burst into laughter as her sombrero-style headwear took flight.

In true Aussie style she saw the humour in the mishap.

It was the only hiccup, albeit trivial, the Tasmanian commoner has suffered in the lead-up to her fairytale day.

Inside the parliament, Mary and the Crown Prince were given an ornate wooden dining suite for their new home in Fredensborg Castle, 40km north of Copenhagen.

Denmark's Speaker of the House paid tribute to the bride, saying there was "something of the Viking in you, Mary".

"You have taken brave steps to come this far and like our other Princess from the Far East you are a gift to Denmark."

The Mercury

from the http://news.scotsman.com

Fairy Tale Wedding in Land of Hans Christian Andersen

Months of planning, hundreds of guests and thousands of police in the streets will give way to a royal wedding redolent of the fairy tales written by Denmark’s Hans Christian Andersen.

Less than four years after they met in a Sydney bar, Danish Crown Prince Frederik and Australian Mary Donaldson are set to exchange vows at Copenhagen’s Our Lady Lutheran Cathedral tomorrow before 800 guests, including European and Asian royals, Danish and Australian dignitaries and close friends.

After Copenhagen Bishop Svend Norman Svendsen weds the pair, Donaldson will become Crown Princess Mary, a Danish citizen and member of Denmark’s state Lutheran Church.

Police expect 250,000 people to jam the streets of city to get a glimpse of the newlyweds’ horse-drawn carriage.

Much of the town will be closed to cars – except for the fleet of nearly 100 Volvo limousines and dark buses that will ferry the guests to and from Our Lady Church and later to the Fredensborg Palace, where the evening party will be held.

With memories of the deadly terrorist bombings in Madrid still fresh, the Danish capital of 1.8 million people is taking no chances.

One-third of Denmark’s 10,000-strong police force is expected to be on security duty while the air space over Copenhagen will be closed for the duration of the event, except for a lone television news helicopter.

Plainclothes bodyguards will protect foreign guests that include Spanish Crown Prince Felipe and his fiancee Letizia Ortiz, who are set to marry the following week, Crown Prince Naruhito of Japan, Princess Chulhaborn of Thailand, members of every royal house in Europe and Farah Pahlavi, the widow of the Shah of Iran.

Other guests include the Earl of Wessex and his wife, Sophie Australian Governor General Michael Jeffrey and Tasmanian Governor Richard Butler and France’s first lady, Bernadette Chirac.

Denmark has been celebrating the wedding for more than a week with a military parade, a banquet for Danish dignitaries on Tuesday and receptions at Copenhagen’s City Hall and at Parliament. Festivities also included more casual events, such as a boat race, a rock concert, a private party in a hip night club and hundreds of children dressed as princes and princesses cheering the couple.

http://news.com.au

Prince pledges half a kingdomBy BEN ENGLISH
May 14, 2004

CROWN Prince Frederik is so confident in his marriage to Mary, he is prepared to risk half his kingdom on its success.

Less than a day before the ceremony, Frederik had yet to register a "marriage settlement", Denmark's equivalent of a pre-nuptial agreement. Judge Soeren Soerup Hansen, head of the kingdom's marriage registry court, said: "We haven't received anything yet.

"The settlement must be recorded to be valid."

If by today Prince Frederik fails to deliver the papers outlining the division of assets in the case of a divorce, Mary would have secured rights to half the kingdom.

Prince Frederik's assets will expand considerably when he becomes king and inherits the royal castles spread around Denmark.

Until then, his estate is largely limited to his house at Fredensborg - Kancelli House - and the Christian VIII Palace in Copenhagen.

In the case of a divorce, Mary would also receive half of Frederik's annual stipend of $3.4 million.

Although Frederik and Mary could choose to lodge a settlement after the wedding, this was considered an unusual step and would signal something was wrong in the relationship.

Both Queen Margrethe and her husband Prince Henrik, and Frederik's brother Joachim and his wife Alexandra, drew up pre-nuptial agreements before their respective weddings.

Mary has already agreed that any children she has would remain Danish citizens and, should the couple separate, would not leave the country.

She is also forbidden from taking any of the Danish crown jewels or works of art out of the country if the two were to divorce.

http://www.news.com.au

Honeymooning on the love boat
By Ben English in Copenhagen
May 14, 2004

IT'S a ship fitted for a queen but it will also do very nicely for a princess on her wedding night.

Tasmanian commoner Mary Donaldson's rise to Danish princess will be crowned with a night aboard Denmark's regal "love boat" with Crown Prince Frederik.

The newlyweds will begin their honeymoon by sailing into the night on the royal yacht Dannebrog after saying their goodbyes to guests gathered for their reception at Fredensborg Castle.

In so doing they will continue a tradition on a ship so connected with royal romance it has been dubbed Denmark's Love Boat.

Frederik's grandmother, Swedish princess Ingrid, spent her wedding night on the ship when she married Crown Prince Frederik at Stockholm in 1935.

And Queen Margrethe, Mary's new mother-in-law, sailed off with new husband Prince Henrik when they wed in 1967.

Frederik and Mary have kept their honeymoon destination a secret.

During her wedding cruise, Princess Ingrid had a late dinner of Russian caviar served on an ice block in the shape of a royal crown, with stuffed pigeons for the main.

But when it was Margrethe's turn 32 years later she did not touch the food.

When chef Aksel Larsen asked her whether anything was wrong with it, she replied she was so much in love she had lost her appetite.

Dannebrog, named after Denmark's 800 year-old national flag, is the Danish equivalent of the British Royal Family's Britannia.

More of a floating palace than a yacht, it includes a dining room that can seat 36 guests, a smoking salon, several bedrooms and large lounge room with a grand piano. Every room is filled with antique furniture.

Dannebrog was dubbed a love boat in 1964 when it sailed into Athens for the wedding of Princess Anne-Marie and ex-king Konstantin.

The royal yacht, built in 1932, is 82m long, weighs 1280 tons and can do 14 knots.

It needs 51 crew members to service the royal requirements.

Officially, Dannebrog is a military ship and carries the NATO registration A540.

It can be converted into a naval hospital during an emergency.

The crew is navy-trained and carries arms to protect passengers.

http://news.com.au

Rain's unlikely on parade of princessBy BEN ENGLISH
May 14, 2004

THE one element Mary Donaldson and the army of courtiers organising her fairytale marriage to Crown Prince Frederik cannot control appears to be falling into line.

Predictions for the weather at today's breathlessly awaited event have brightened -- raising hopes the bride and groom will ride through the Danish capital in their fabled open carriage. Weather forecasters say the risk of rain is now "slim", although temperatures will be decidedly cooler than the summer conditions the historic city enjoyed this week. "If it is going to rain in Copenhagen at all during the day, we are talking max 1mm of rain -- that is a few drops only," Institute of Meteorology officer Klaus Larsen said. "We think that the chances of them riding in the open coach are good. "But because of the clouds the temperature is not likely to rise above 15C."

Up to a million Danes are expected to converge on Copenhagen's "old city", site of Copenhagen Cathedral, the nearby Amalienborg Palace where they will kiss on the royal balcony after their ceremony and the route for their carriage procession. Security forces began moving into place early yesterday for their biggest operation in Danish modern history.

Mary will begin preparing for the ceremony in the early afternoon and may attend a brunch organised on the royal yacht Dannebrog. The Tasmanian commoner, who loses her Australian citizenship the instant she says "I do", will arrive at the Copenhagen Cathedral at midnight Tasmanian time escorted by her father John. Guests begin arriving at the church at 2.30pm. Frederik arrives at 3.30pm. The Crown Prince will be accompanied by his best man, whose identity remains a secret, although royal watchers believe it will be one of three men: his younger brother Prince Joachim, Norwegian Crown Prince Haakon or Spanish Crown Prince Felipe. Many key elements of the ceremony have been kept confidential, including the floral arrangement, the rings and Mary's much-anticipated wedding gown. The 69-member Derwent Valley Concert Band will be the main act in the procession behind the horse-drawn carriage carrying Hobart's own Mary and Crown Prince Frederik after their wedding.

After their balcony kiss, the newlyweds will ride to the outskirts of Copenhagen, where they will transfer to a chauffeured limousine for the 40km trip north to the royal castle at Fredensborg, site of the wedding reception. The couple will not depart until 1.30am the next morning, ending an exhausting 10 days of gala events and receptions saluting the biggest event this tiny nation has witnessed since World War II. Their wedding night will be spent on a ship fitted for a queen. The newlyweds will begin their honeymoon by sailing into the night on the royal yacht Dannebrog after saying their goodbyes to the glittering array of guests gathered for their reception at Fredensborg Castle.

In so doing they will continue a tradition on a ship so connected with royal romance it has been dubbed Denmark's Love Boat. Frederik's grandmother, Swedish princess Ingrid, spent her wedding night aboard the ship when she married Crown Prince Frederik at Stockholm in 1935.

They sailed to Copenhagen. And Queen Margrethe, Mary's new mother-in-law, sailed off with new husband Prince Henrik when they wed in 1967. Frederik took Mary for a cruise aboard the opulently appointed love boat earlier this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom