Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 2: April - November 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alexandria said:
Out of curiosity, for those who are opposed to princesses (here Mary) posing for magazines (any) magazine, whether of their home country or not, what if it was done for charity or in the name of a good cause?

Like if part of the proceeds from this Australian Vogue issue went to a charity of Mary's choice or if Mary were interviewed discussing a charity she supports -- then would the support be there for such magazine photo sessions?

Just curious ...

From my side...yes. I mean that Mary is in the new australian Vogue doesn´t bother me in a special way. (For her?) I just hope, that this an one-time thing which helps Mary to get self confidence in front of a camera. But if she would have done it for charity, then this would have given the whole photo-session more sense. And it would fit in the working scheme of a crown princess. Of course an universally valid curriculum and working scheme for the profession "crown princess" don´t exist. But I think with charity, representing your country with passion and being diplomatic you can´t do much wrong.

The pictures are beautiful of course, my problem is that I think it comes to soon, I think she should have decided on what charities and organisations to support and get working on those. I dont find doing such photo shoots particularily royal, for me it comes of as a fashionshoot, since all the designers of the dresses she wears are mentioned next to the pictures. Other princesses has done photoshoots aswell, but then for national magazine, or for a good causes like Märtha and Rania with children did for an UNICEF campaign. My favourite picture is one of Mary and her Horse, its different, the other looks like pictures I have seen a million times in all sorts of fashion magazines with different celebrities.

BTW
The purpel dress is from Boss
The Beige outfit is Chanel
The black short dress is as mentioned by Prada
and the sparkly gown is by Louis Vouitton
There is also one picture of her wearing a danish gown by Malene Birger

Larzen said:
I dont find doing such photo shoots particularily royal, for me it comes of as a fashionshoot, since all the designers of the dresses she wears are mentioned next to the pictures.
Really? The names of the labels are directly printed next to the pictures?! Doesn´t sound like a wise move. Makes me wonder, why the Royal court has allowed that and why they haven´t asked to handle this in a more discrete way (e.g. naming the dresses on the bottom...printed in a very small font). Well, at least one dress is danish.

I agree they could have done as in the Vanity Fair shoot with all the young royals, where there was one page at the very back where all the designers was mentioned, more tasteful IMO.

It is out this week the 3rd of november i am buying it. It is 14page long and more photos to, as i have been told.
billie-jo

The clothes Mary is wearing in the fashion shoot are very attractive and it's perfectly understandable that the Australian press is very proud of her. But I think it's a bit over the top. It appears that the future queen of Denmark is more impressed with getting to be on the cover of Vogue and to wear couture and to be photographed and cooed over rather than just be modest about her new position in life and get on with it. She appears to be more fascinated with herself, title and what it gets her in life than her duty. The whole thing smacks a bit of trying to be the "next" Princess Di or Grace or someone.

Of course I have not read the article and am merely pointing out how it appears rather than how it might actually be.

Victoria1999 said:
This is just my opinion.
So far I have read and seen a lot about Mary...I am sorry to say it but there is something that really boders me about her. I don't see her pretty as some other princesses and I don't see anything beautiful in this pictures. The second picture is awful. The dresses are nice...Mary scares me. I understand that you don't need to be pretty to be a princess, but her attitude and everything else boders me a lot.
She is beginning to bother me too, i really like her to start with, but im no longer so sure, she is looking too stuck up, her constant pouting, and for thoes pictures way ti air-brushed i think. Shi might have been better of as a footballers wife.

Petrie said:
The clothes Mary is wearing in the fashion shoot are very attractive and it's perfectly understandable that the Australian press is very proud of her. But I think it's a bit over the top. It appears that the future queen of Denmark is more impressed with getting to be on the cover of Vogue and to wear couture and to be photographed and cooed over rather than just be modest about her new position in life and get on with it. She appears to be more fascinated with herself, title and what it gets her in life than her duty. The whole thing smacks a bit of trying to be the "next" Princess Di or Grace or someone.

Of course I have not read the article and am merely pointing out how it appears rather than how it might actually be.

I think that when |Diana did Vouge she had been married for ages, problem with nuvo Mary is she is new at being royal and she should wait a bit before she start swanning around like this, these days most people if they want to can wear Boss or Prada or whatever, why on earth is she so impressed by it all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally think she looks fantastic! According to the video clip, the clothing was chosen by Vogue and they brought it along with them. I think the pictures are classy, If it is going to help out charities, I see nothing wrong with them!

I wouldn't be so hard with Mary. Frederik is in one picture too, so he would be attack too.
Anyway I am surprise because she looks great. I have never seen Mary as a beautiful woman but she looks amazing in those photos.

She's really gorgeous , she looks amazing in this photos :)

The pics in themselves are beautiful, if you forget the fact that Mary is a crown princess of Denmark. Vogue chose beautiful clothes, excellent make up artists and a gifted photographer and finally Mary, who is an attractive figure and face.
I actually don't see any problems with Mary being on the cover of Vogue. She recently took the "job" of crown princess and may not have a complete idea of the protocol. Maybe she just wanted to be on the cover of a magazine like so many other people, she got the chance and she took it. I see nothing wrong with it. I am sure this was only a one time thing, Mary just wanted to feel the perks that go along with being a crown princess. I am sure she'll soon learn that a huge amount of responsibilty also comes along with it. I think we should just give her time and not pounce on her, after all she became a princess this very year. At least give the poor woman a year to get her act together.
Also if the Danish Royal Court doesn't have any problems with it and her husband, THE CROWN PRINCE himself took part in the shoot. I don't see a reason for us to have a problem. After all he is her husband and he has been in the royal family lot longer than her, he would have tried to stop and not take part in the shoot himself.
P.S. I absolutely adore the pics of Mary and Fred, especially the ones where they are dancing and the one where Fred is kissing Mary on the forehead. I just see a couple celebrating their love and I think we should celebrate with them...:)

The crown princess is certainly wearing some stunning clothes in these photos! I do not see much wrong with what she and Frederik did... However, I am surprised that Aussie Vogue and Mary didn't wait perhaps a year or so for her to settle into her new "job"??? But, having said that she certainly wears the clothes well and is quite photogenic.

From http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,11233630%255E2902,00.html

0,1658,392372,00.jpg

Poured into a Prada number: Princess Mary strikes a fashionable pose.
Picture: Vogue.

Princess Mary's make-over
By MELISSA HOYER
31oct04

SHE is a model royal, and now Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Mary of Denmark is also a fashion model.

The former Mary Donaldson from Tasmania has completed her first modelling assignment and has won a coveted cover in her first attempt.

In couture Princess Mary is regally elegant; in designer frocks the dark beauty is confident and witty. The fashion shoot even allows the princess to show off her handsome prince, an accessory to die for after his endearing public emotion at their wedding earlier this year.

Princess Mary had her choice of couture and designer frocks for the shoot, on location in her new hometown of Copenhagen.

The princess selected clothes by Prada, Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Jean Paul Gaultier couture, Hugo Boss and one Australian label, Scanlan and Theodore, for the Vogue Australia shoot.

Magazine editor Kirstie Clements said Princess Mary worked the cameras like a seasoned professional.

Clements said royal protocol became "very relaxed" by the end of the fashion shoot.

In the the magazine, Princess Mary talks about how she is approaching her new role in life.

The newlyweds sparked controversy this month amid speculation Princess Mary was expecting an heir to the Danish throne. But after a negative pregnancy test and an operation for gallstones, the palace officially denied the rumours.

...more news on the photo shoot...

http://www.themercury.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,11240376%255E3462,00.html

Sexy Vogue shoot for Mary
By HEATHER LOW CHOY
31oct04

IT is a racy departure from her staid post-wedding style -- Tasmanian-born Crown Princess Mary of Denmark has posed for fashion bible Vogue Australia wearing a short and sexy Prada cocktail dress.

Stripped of the mumsy suits and peculiar hats she has favoured since marrying Prince Frederik in May, the former Taroona schoolgirl has succumbed to a much-needed makeover.

Seemingly poured into her tight Prada dress, she flashes immodest expanses of glowing, bronzed skin as she drapes herself regally over a gilt chair.

The shot is part of a 14-page Princess Mary exclusive in the latest edition of Vogue Australia, available from Wednesday.

The magazine's editor-in-chief Kirstie Clements, who secured a lengthy one-on-one interview with the future Queen of Denmark, says the feature includes a "huge article" and an array of stunning images.

Ms Clements said Princess Mary had talked at length about her new role and her lavish wedding.

"She's told us how she's settling in, how she's approaching her new role, about the relationship leading up to the wedding and the wedding itself," she said.

"The interview is not really fashion based."

To outfit Princess Mary for the accompanying photo spread, the Vogue team flew to Denmark with a huge selection of designer clothes.

"We went with the pick of everything, from couture to international ready-to-wear to Australian designers," Ms Clements said.

"She just put on what she liked."

Ms Clements said royal protocol became "very relaxed" by the end of the fashion shoot.

"While we were on our best behaviour, it felt very natural and comfortable," she said.

Ms Clements said Prince Frederik posed with Princess Mary for some of the photographs, with "surprising" results.

She described seeing the royal couple in their palatial surrounds as "wonderful". "When she's with the Prince, you see they're in love and there is a magic there."

Mary shows how love is always in fashion

By Annette Sharp
October 31, 2004
The Sun-Herald

princessmary_narrowweb__200x255.jpg
Model princess ... this black Prada gown with square-cut neck is a personal favourite of Princess Mary's.
Photo: courtesy Vogue Australia

It is the love story that has fascinated the Western world since its players were married in a fairytale European ceremony five months ago.

Now a set of photographs captured by an Australian fashion magazine will ensure that this royal couple's romance is recorded forever as one of modern history's great love stories.

Crown Princess Mary of Denmark, formerly Mary Donaldson of Tasmania, via Bondi Junction, and her new husband, Crown Prince Frederik, have posed for a series of photographs for Vogue Australia that will prompt comparisons to the iconic Mario Testino images that once immortalised a glamorous smoky-eyed Princess Diana.

But a key difference between the two studies of princessly poise is the involvement of a plainly love-struck crown prince in the Danish pictorial which will go on sale next week.

Whereas Prince Charles was nowhere to be seen in the Testino pictures, the handsome young Prince Frederik clearly relished the opportunity to gatecrash his wife's fashion spread.

Vogue editor Kirstie Clements flew to Denmark's Amalienborg Palace last month for the three-day photo shoot, which was 11 months in the planning.

It features the very regal Australian-born princess in some 30 designer outfits.

But what began as an ambitious yet simple fashion shoot became a study in love when on the second day the prince arrived carrying a portable stereo requested by noted New York-based photographer Regan Cameron.

Clements was clearly impressed by the prince's open and friendly demeanour. Describing him as "devastatingly handsome", she said

: "We asked if he'd come and he came and he really changed the whole mood of the shoot.

"There was just such magic when they got together and she became really relaxed. We got this beautiful photo of the two of them together and after that everything was brilliant. They are . . . in love!" she said, with a laugh. "It turned it into something special. It was no longer just a fashion sitting. It was now a series of photos chronicling them."

As the couple embraced and danced to the bluesy BB King soundtrack playing on the stereo, the magazine editor said she felt "goosebumps".

Love was clearly on the princess's mind during the accompanying interview. She told the magazine: "Growing up, you always feel that you have to do something in order to deserve people's admiration and support. I don't really feel I've done so much. All I've done is say yes and love the person that I love."

Until now, the world has known relatively little about the princess's fashion preferences other than her obvious fondness for Prada and beautifully structured hats, as evidenced by the wardrobe she selects for public appearances.

vogue_narrowweb__200x268,1.jpg
In Vogue ... Princess Mary

Now, thanks to Vogue's profile, it is also known that the princess has a "sample size" figure, wonderful posture and great legs.

The princess wears gowns by Prada, Hugo Boss, Louis Vuitton, Jean Paul Gaultier and Chanel, plus Australian design team Scanlan & Theodore and Danish designer Malene Birger.

"I've never really thought that much about fashion," the princess said. "I'm still developing my style."

There is no mention of the persistent rumours that the princess is pregnant.

"If she was, she would have told us, I feel, as she was that open," Clements said.

But the princess did say: "There is no predefined role for me. Of course, there's the obvious one that everyone is commenting on. That we deliver an heir. That's one role and, yes, we want that to happen."

Last edited:
Mary's royal role: heirs and grace

By Mik Grigg, Annette Sharp
October 31, 2004

The two main duties of a princess have changed little with the years. You are expected to wear fabulous frocks and produce an heir.

As befits a modern monarch, Crown Princess Mary of Denmark (until five months ago, Mary Donaldson of Tasmania) has given her first major interview to an Australian fashion magazine and posed for a series of photographs wearing the creations of 30 of the world's top designers.

Vogue Australia editor Kirstie Clements and photographer Regan Cameron spent a week in Denmark last month for the photo shoot. Taken at the Royal Palace in Copenhagen, the pictures show a serene and composed Crown Princess in a light-as-air jacket and sequinned frock from Louis Vuitton, a body-caressing Prada dress and other heavenly ensembles from Chanel, Jean Paul Gaultier, Australia's Scanlan & Theodore and her favourite Danish designer, Malene Birger.

In the interview the princess likens her new role as queen-in-waiting to a new job and says she is "in the strategic planning phase".

"There is no predefined role for me," she says. "Of course there's the obvious one that everyone is commenting on - that we deliver an heir. That's one role and, yes, we want that to happen."

Clements said Mary seemed quite at ease during the three-day shoot (even listening to a bit of Talking Heads on the first day), but "very much in control of her new situation and able to find the balance of . . . still being very relaxed and very warm".

The new princess reflects on her remarkable situation. "Growing up you always feel that you have to do something in order to deserve people's admiration and support," she says. " I don't really feel I've done so much. All I've done is say, 'Yes', and love the person that I love."

But aren't the challenges - and even the opportunities - a little daunting?

"I have to believe that I wouldn't be here if I couldn't do this," she says. "But I'm a thinker, I won't say 'Yes' to one thing unless I know how it fits into the overall puzzle.

"There is a lot to weigh up, but my biggest hope is to be able to make a difference somewhere. It's a privilege to have this opportunity.

"The biggest pressure in my new role is becoming a public person. I've never been a person who craved the spotlight."

The photos will prompt comparisons with the Mario Testino images that immortalised Princess Diana.

But a key difference between the two studies is the involvement of a plainly lovestruck Prince Frederik in the Danish pictures.

On the second day, the prince arrived with a portable stereo requested by the photographer. He was asked if he would dance with his wife for the camera, and suddenly the mood of the shoot changed.

mary_fred_narrowweb__200x229.jpg
The royal couple. She wears a Louis Vuitton dress and silk tulle jacket.
Photo:Regan Cameron/Vogue Australia

"We got this beautiful photo of the two of them together and after that everything was brilliant," Clements said. "They are in love! It turned it into something special. It was no longer just a fashion sitting."

Clements began negotiations for the piece soon after the couple became engaged in October 2003, sweetening the deal with a parcel of Aussie designer clothes.

Until now, the world has known little about the princess's fashion preferences other than her obvious fondness for Prada and beautifully structured hats, as shown by her public wardrobe.

Now, thanks to Vogue, we know that she has a "sample size" figure, wonderful posture and great legs.

"I've never really thought that much about fashion. I'm still developing my style to fit my new role," she says.

What to wear to a hunt when it's minus three, or a royal tour of Greenland, may govern her choice.

While Vogue's interview is an undoubted coup, unfortunately for the curious the magazine didn't pose the question that could have secured an even bigger scoop.

Clements said she respected the princess too much to ask about rumours she is pregnant.

"If she was she would have told us, I feel, as she was that open. I paid her the respect of not asking," Clements said.

The December issue of Vogue, featuring the full interview, is out on November 3.

Well, it's interesting to know that the negociations for this shoot began last October! It's also nice to see that the planning and hard work had such lovely results!

I don't understand why it is "so bad" that she is featured in a magazine in designer clothes. Why is that "so bad"?

She wears designer clothes all the time in her work as Crown Princess. She is giving an interview... don't other royal people give interviews?? (I'm only new to all things Royal)...

why is it so bad? why do people dislike CP Mary now for being in some beautiful photographs? Surely if it was totally against protocol etc it would have been veto'd by the Royal Household, yes?? She wouldnt have been able to say "yes" without consulting anyone else, CP Frederick is involved so someone must have said "this is okay".

i don't understand people's disapproval at all.

Personally, I don't think it's that bad that she consent to this interview etc...
afterall if it was deem unsuitable or anything, the palace wouldn't hve approve it and CP Frederik wouldn't even be there in the shoot...

Afterall, she's not doing anything indecent, and other CPs hve done similar interviews in varying degree.

WOW! I was in awe at those photos. Mary looks absolutly stunning. THank You for sharing those with us. Its so greatly appreciated. She looks wonderful. I don't see how anyone can ba opposed to such beautiful photos of such a beautiful woman.

On Vogue Cover

It´s not that it´s wrong to pose for Vogue. The question is: how does Mary want to project herself? A serious, hardworking royal, or someone dying to show off her beautiful body? What magazine you pose for and how you pose for it speak volumes about what your focus is. The Vogue interview may be an interview about Mary´s new role, but posing in designer clothes (not even Danish designers) suggests that she hankers after being photographed in designer clothes; not focusing on promoting a cause, or even giving Danish designers a boost on the international scene. That´s where the problem is; and not just because she´s wearing designer clothes.
I´m sorry: but the Vogue shoot comes across as an air head (together with another air head), both who seem to want to start their new life together with a message of their interest in modelling. What do the King and Queen in-waiting want to do for Denmark? Nothing there. Just modelling clothes of designers from other countries.

i think that it was a good idea to do the shoot... we are all forgetting that she has to above everything else be herself... make her own decisions.. we shouldnt be putting someone down for the choices they make... and mary has a lot of pressure as a fashion icon... if i was her i would spend 24/7 reading fashion articals or shopping... she may seem a bit superficial... but arent 95 % of us... i think it was great to see a modern day princess doing something modern like that... at least she wasnt doing a bikini shoot... every photo is tastefully elegant we can learn alot from her. :)

Xandra said:
It´s not that it´s wrong to pose for Vogue. The question is: how does Mary want to project herself? A serious, hardworking royal, or someone dying to show off her beautiful body? What magazine you pose for and how you pose for it speak volumes about what your focus is. The Vogue interview may be an interview about Mary´s new role, but posing in designer clothes (not even Danish designers) suggests that she hankers after being photographed in designer clothes; not focusing on promoting a cause, or even giving Danish designers a boost on the international scene. That´s where the problem is; and not just because she´s wearing designer clothes.
I´m sorry: but the Vogue shoot comes across as an air head (together with another air head), both who seem to want to start their new life together with a message of their interest in modelling. What do the King and Queen in-waiting want to do for Denmark? Nothing there. Just modelling clothes of designers from other countries.
I really don't think that is fair at all! Both Mary and Frederik work very hard, and there is plenty of proof of that on this board. We get to see so many pictures of them dooing their duty. This is an interview, along with some (by the way beautiful) photos. It doesn't mean that Mary doesn't wan't to work hard as well, we have already seen her doing it. In june princess Alexandra of Denmark also did an interview with a fashion magazine including som photos. Royalty doesn't mean old fashioned, this is just another way of giving an interview, to let the world see a little part of you.

I love the photos, and I think it is great that she did something like this.

In my own personal opinion, there is nothing wrong with posing as a model or the cover girl of either a local or international magazine. It is a matter or self-decision. Just because Mary is now the Crown Princess of Denmark, it doesn't mean that her life should only be bounded to Denmark. And besides, the Crown Princely couple would not have appeared in the Vogue magazine if it was not approved by the royal court. All of us should remember that decisions on the couple's matters involves the royal court especially when it involves the media and their publicity. And I know that the couple would not have appeared on the magazine if the Queen didn't approve the said decision.

CP Mary and Frederik looked good on the pictures. Very stylish and gracious. But on the contrast, CP Mary should also think that her job is not always on appearing at magazines but on something for the benefit also of other people.

paulette said:
CP Mary and Frederik looked good on the pictures. Very stylish and gracious. But on the contrast, CP Mary should also think that her job is not always on appearing at magazines but on something for the benefit also of other people.
I agree Paulette, but I also believe that both Mary and Frederik cares alot for other people. E.g they organized the rockkoncert as a pre-wedding event, and the money from that was donated to help children.

Mary also seemed very caring and interested when visiting for instance the elderly on the retirement home in Greenland this summer.

I'm actually quite sure that she cares, but that she also has interests of her own on the side, such as fashion.

For Marie Louise: nobody hear is saying that Mary and Fred don't work hard!
But this is NOT a simple interview... She is posing just to promote herself and the not danish dresses. You don't see Mathilde or Letizia doing this.

I agree with Xandra: We can say that the photos are great, the dresses are perfect, etc. but this Vogue shoot doesn' benefit in ANYTHING the kingdom of Denmark, imo.

She seems arrogant and superficial, and she is more interest in fame and glory than in work for Denmark. And we shouldn't forget that she was in the beggining interested in Nikolas of Greece, but he wasn't crown prince so she prefered Fred...

Regina said:
And we shouldn't forget that she was in the beggining interested in Nikolas of Greece, but he wasn't crown prince so she prefered Fred...
How come you know this Regina? Where you present that night? Did Mary tell you, that she preferred Frederik, because he was a Crown Prince?

All I know is, that Prince Joachim has told in an interview, that by accident Mary were seated in between the two brothers - he didn't even mention Nicholaus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom