Crown Prince Frederik, Current Events 3: September 2010 - May 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night, Frederik was seen at the semi finals between Spain and Denmark in the Men's Handball World Championship in Sweden. He was interviewed briefly afterwards - http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/article.php...hepper-på-hans-majestæt-lindberg.html?forside - he was very enthusiastic about the performance of the Danish team and when asked whether he, his royal highness, also cheered for Hans Lindbergh, popularly nicknamed 'His Majesty', Frederik grinned and said of course he did.

We'll probably see Frederik again on Sunday for the finals in Malmö between France and Denmark.

Regarding the socks, I amthinking it is a present that he got, I don't think he would oreder them nor Mary but who knows, just speculation....... i mast say i like them, wish I could buy something like this for my husband may be for valentine!

Last edited:
My guess is that the manufacturer presented them to him :)

My guess is that the manufacturer presented them to him :)
I agree, I am sure they get so many presents and this could be the manufacturer did it for him , it is always good publicity!

I saw a pic of Fred wearing those socks( perhaps he has more than 1 pair) more than a year ago if not 2 when he attended some event in Denmark.

very nice pics! who's the guy hugginh frederik in pic number 3? he's dressed like a high rank academic, i was wondering if he was dean, professor or something during frederik's student days since they sem to know each other quite well.

Regarding the socks, I amthinking it is a present that he got, I don't think he would oreder them nor Mary but who knows, just speculation....... i mast say i like them, wish I could buy something like this for my husband may be for valentine!
I think you are right they were most likely given to him, and the socks are fantastic!

England are playing Denmark in a football friendly in Copenhagen, anyone know if Frederik has made an appearance?

According to CPC calendar, CP Frederik will be regent from February 27 until March 13, 2011.

(also, not sure why, but I can't log into last page for some reason. A bug?) I also apologize for the double post. I posted originally on Fred and Mary and family thread. It has since gotten buried by talk of the christening. :)

A bit outdated but nevertheless.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #05, 2011.
Jeg er barselsvikar - I'm a maternity-substitute.
Written by Anna Johannsen.

A couple of weeks or so ago, Mary was supposed to hand out the EliteForsk = EliteResearch prize, but that isn't that practical right now...
So Frederik stepped in.

Despite a slight cold, he showed up at Glyptoteket in Copenhagen. And here he handed out prizes to five recipients, who also shared an amount of 1.2 million DKK.

One of the recipients were an old classmate of Frederik's, Jesper Ryberg, whom he haven't seen since eight grade in Krebs School, so that was a hearty reunion between the two of them. Jesper Ryberg is now a professor and teaches at Roskilde University.

Jesper Ryberg said: "It was nice seeing him again. I have to admit that I was a bit more updated in regards to his life that the other way around".

Frederik told our reporter: "Yes, I'm a maternity-substitute and I can say hello and tell you that both mother and children are thriving".

Last edited:
As you may know, Frederik is Regent at the moment, beacuse QMII is in Norway.

Today there was a government reshuffle and that means that Frederik, for the first time I believe, was alone in acting out the constitutional role of a Dansh monarch, when such a reshuffle takes place.

What happens is that the Prime Minister contacts the Ministers who are to leave or move to another office and also people are appointed minister.
The PM then request an audience with the monarch, or in this case the Regent. Here the ministers who are leaving their offices, officially say goodbye to the Regent, who in return thank them for their service.
After an appropriate period of time, the new ministers are officially presented to the Regent, who express hope for a beneficial co-opeation.
The new ministers are then presented to the public by the PM at Amalienborg Square.
Only then does the official handovers take place in the various ministries.

Formally speaking the government are the servants of the head of state, I.e. QMII.

- Very short and simplified.

It is however very interesting that QMII did not interrupt her holiday and return home to recieve the ministers. Which is what she would usually do. (Frederik has been present at such reshuffles before however).
Instead she left the whole thing to Frederik.
It is in my eyes a sign of her confidence in Frederik but also another indication of the ongoing transition, where M&F take over more and more from the Regent Couple.

The strange about the goodbye/hello at Amalienborg today was that the new ministers was there first and then the leaving ministers...

Do you know how that can be, Muhler?

The strange about the goodbye/hello at Amalienborg today was that the new ministers was there first and then the leaving ministers...

Do you know how that can be, Muhler?

Yes, that's because I wrote something incorrect.
I've checked.

First the new ministers are presented to the Regent.

Then the handover takes place in the ministries.

Only then does the now ex-minister say goodbye to the Regent. If, repeat if, the minister leaves the government altogether.

At a reshuffle, where the ministers swap offices, they are congratulated with their new office, while being thanked for the service they have done as ministers in the office they are about to leave.

(..)

A little bit confused...Does the PM appoint the ministers? Frederick just receives them right or does QMII pick them?

Last edited by a moderator:

I realize that others here may know the reason - but this puzzles me: why is Frederik the Regent because the Queen is in Norway?

:previous:

A regent is defined as "someone who rules during the absence or incapacity or minority of the country's monarch", because some countries - Denmark in this case - require someone in line to the throne, of legal age, to remain in the country at all times "just in case".

Frederik is however the only one who can be regent - Joachim, Princess Benedikte and Princess Elisabeth are all 'Rigsforstander' (a varying form of regent).

A little bit confused...Does the PM appoint the ministers? Frederick just receives them right or does QMII pick them?

The PM appoints the ministers.
They are however formally presented to the Monarch (or in this case the Regent) because the government is after all the servants of the Monarch.

It's also common curtesy that new government ministers say hi to the "big boss" i.e. Queen Margrethe. ;)

Last edited:
:previous:

A regent is defined as "someone who rules during the absence or incapacity or minority of the country's monarch", because some countries - Denmark in this case - require someone in line to the throne, of legal age, to remain in the country at all times "just in case".

Frederik is however the only one who can be regent - Joachim, Princess Benedikte and Princess Elisabeth are all 'Rigsforstander' (a varying form of regent).

Thank you, JessRulz. Leaned something today! :flowers:

I realize that others here may know the reason - but this puzzles me: why is Frederik the Regent because the Queen is in Norway?

The monarch is an integral part of the constitutional procedures enabling the country to run within its own laws. If the monarch is out of the country, someone needs to take over the role temporarily to enable the business of the government to continue smoothly. I think that's as good an answer as any, but I'm sure there are others who can explain the situation better!

The monarch is an integral part of the constitutional procedures enabling the country to run within its own laws. If the monarch is out of the country, someone needs to take over the role temporarily to enable the business of the government to continue smoothly. I think that's as good an answer as any, but I'm sure there are others who can explain the situation better!

That's right.
It's a relic of a precaution going back for many centuries. There should always be one in charge, when the king was out of the country, just in case there was a rebellion or an invasion.
Formally speaking the Danish Monarch is also the commander in chief, and even though that doesn't mean that much in modern times, the prospect of a German or Swedish invasion was something you really had to take into serious consideration not that long ago.
Apart from that, without a Regent/Rigsforstander, no laws can be valid until the Parliament has appointed someone to act on behalf of the Monarch.

In theory QMII could be taken hostage somewhere abroad and if no Regent/Rigsforstander has been appointed Denmark would formally speaking be in a state of interegnum until the Parliament has appointed Frederik to step in as Regent. - With all the legal complications that entails.
That takes time and in that time all sorts of things could theoretically happen. Joachim could for example gather an army in Southern Jutland and start marching on Copenhagen. ;)
So it's much simpler for QMII to appoint a Regent/Rigsforstander before leaving Danish territory.

ADDED: Don't know where Frederik is this week, but right now Joachim is Rigsforstander and he will remain so until QMII returns home from her vacation.

Last edited:
Summary of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #10, 2011.
Where a Lone Iversen asks about Frederik's interest in art.

Jon Bloch Skipper informs us that Frederik is very interested in art and that he owns a considerable collection. (Mostly paintings I understand).

His interest started while he studied art-history at Aarhus University in the 1990's.
He owns several classical pieces but he prefer abstract, surreal and expressionist art.
Frederik is apparantly very interested in the portraits painted of himself and his family.

Unfortunately I'm an art-ignorant.
Jon Bloch Skipper lists a number of names, whose artworks are a part of Frederik's collection. These names means nothing to me, but perhaps to you:
Wilhelm Freddie, Rita Kernn-Larsen, Mogens Andersen, Michael Kvium, Samal Joensen-Mikines and Sonja Ferlov Mancoba.

------------------

There is a funny little interview with QMII which I'll deal with later. (Suffice to say that Mary is very busy these days)!
An article about who Elvis and Shirley resemble, which I won't bother to deal with as there is nothing concrete in the article.
And a few pics of Frederik, which should make some of you swoon, and which hopefully will surface on the BB site eventually.

Last edited:
The PM appoints the ministers.
They are however formally presented to the Monarch (or in this case the Regent) because the government is after all the servants of the Monarch.

It's also common curtesy that new government ministers say hi to the "big boss" i.e. Queen Margrethe. ;)

Thank You :flowers: I thought that was it but I am not that familiar on the internal workings of the Danish Monarchy. Thanks for the info,

Summary of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #10, 2011.
Where a Lone Iversen asks about Frederik's interest in art.

Jon Bloch Skipper informs us that Frederik is very interested in art and that he owns a considerable collection. (Mostly paintings I understand).

His interest started while he studied art-history at Aarhus University in the 1990's.
He owns several classical pieces but he prefer abstract, surreal and expressionist art.
Frederik is apparantly very interested in the portraits painted of himself and his family.

Unfortunately I'm an art-ignorant.
Jon Bloch Skipper lists a number of names, whose artworks are a part of Frederik's collection. These names means nothing to me, but perhaps to you:
Wilhelm Freddie, Rita Kernn-Larsen, Mogens Andersen, Michael Kvium, Samal Joensen-Mikines and Sonja Ferlov Mancoba.

------------------

There is a funny little interview with QMII which I'll deal with later. (Suffice to say that Mary is very busy these days)!
An article about who Elvis and Shirley resemble, which I won't bother to deal with as there is nothing concrete in the article.
And a few pics of Frederik, which should make some of you swoon, and which hopefully will surface on the BB site eventually.

Muhler, as always, thanks so much for these summaries. Will you be posting the interview with QMII that you speak about?

Muhler, as always, thanks so much for these summaries. Will you be posting the interview with QMII that you speak about?

You are welcome. :)

Yes, I'll post a summary of the interview when I a little more time.

Thank You :flowers: I thought that was it but I am not that familiar on the internal workings of the Danish Monarchy. Thanks for the info,

You are welcome. :)

The Danish Monarch has a constitutional role, so the PM go to see QMII (or the Regent) and say: "Hi, I'd like you to meet my new ministers. Do you approve"? And of course the Monarch approves, anything else would be unthinkable and would cause a major constitutional crisis as it would basically be a veto against the PM.
With that little formallity aside, it's really a presentation of the new ministers. The Monarch thank them for their service and/or wish them good luck in their new office.

On the other hand, it would be equally unthinkable that the PM would just send a letter to QMII saying: "I've reshuffled the government. Any objections"? That would be a monumental insult and openly devaluating the constitutional role of the Monarch. Not that there was much QMII could do about it though.
Perhaps she could go on strike? No official visits, that'll teach the PM! :p

Last edited:
Hmm, having looked at the previous posts I think it might be a god idea to summon up and make it absolutely clear what happens at a government reshuffle. That sort of things really interest me.
The mods can delete my previous posts on this matter.

A) The PM decides to reshuffle the government and contact the persons involved.

B) That is announced to the press.

C) The PM and the new ministers and/or ministers who have changed office show up at Amalienborg for an audience with the Monarch (or a Regent/Rigsforstander).
- Apart from showing common curtesy in meeting the head of state. The government are formally the servants of the Monarch (who in this case represents the people), it's also to prevent a government usurping too much power and doing whatever it want's without much formal control, so the Monarch approves/contrasigns major decisions like a reshuffle. In theory the Monarch could say: "Hey! That's not correct. What's going on"?

D) Here the PM hands over a document recommending (*) that QMII approves the reshuffle, naming the ministers.
The Monarch will naturally approve the reshuffle.
- Disapproving the reshuffle would be seen as an unheard lack of confidence in the decision of the PM, and a direct political interference. It's as close to a veto the Monarch can do in such a situation.
The PM could override the disapproval but the political consequences would be extremely severe!

E) The ministers are presented to the Monarch, who thank them for their previous service and/or congratulate them and wish them the very best in their new job.
- Not showing up in person would be such a strong political signal to send that even the most republican politicians would hesitate even thinking about it. It would be seen as an open disregard of the constitutional role of the Monarch, not to mention such a huge insult that it would backfire on the government.
The PM would basically openly be declaring that the Monarch is utterly insignificant.
But one of the most important functions of the PM is also to shield the DRF, especially the Monarch. (Because they are not politicians). He would also fail in that role if he severely insulted QMII. So that's unthinkable.

F) The new ministers are presented to the public and the press at Amalienborg Square.

G) The formal handovers in the various ministries take place shortly after, in the full glare of the media. There are a number of traditions in connections with that, but let's leave that out.

H) A little while later, any ex-ministers have an individual audience with the Monarch, who thank them for their service.
They are then driven home for the last time in their ministerial cars.

A more low key version of this takes place if a single minister is replaced.

Ministers who are dismissed in dishonor are not granted an audience afterwards. But that is extremely rare.

(*) The wording is "henstille" = strongly recommend. If I recieve a "henstilling" it would be very advisable for me to obey it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom