Crown Prince Frederik, Current Events 2: October 2007 - September 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Muhler,

I'm not sure. I. Will let him know thanks! BTW have you met any of the royals? I've always wanted to go to Denmark, but I've never been. I write books so I am, of course, interested in visiting the homeland of the master story teller Hans Christian Andersen. Here's another pic from that day, but the lighting was bad and the camera was not working properly.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a119/starstruckfan/IMG_4792_4.jpg

No, not in person. But for a splitsecond I almost got mistaken for Queen Margrethe.
Quite a number of years ago I was working in a building with three floors.
At the ground floor was an art gallery. Anyway, I was going down to the local baker for something for my lunch break and when I went out the door a limousine was parked there and the uniformed driver was about to jump out when the door opened, until he realised that I was hardly QMII. :p
I didn't have to rub my forehead against the wall to realise that QMII was visiting the gallery, because I knew she was in town at the time.

There was no crowd and no photographers outside. Passers-by would naturally have given the car a curious glance - and then moved on.
Nor were there any PET officers in the foyer. That will probably have changed by now.

That's funny. The limo driver must have been on standby for some time. Strange there were no photographers or PET officers. Must have been a very discreet visit.

That's funny. The limo driver must have been on standby for some time. Strange there were no photographers or PET officers. Must have been a very discreet visit.

I doubt many in the building even noticed it.
There was probably a PET officer in the gallery and perhaps one in a car outside. But no one in the foyer, that's for sure.

It was hardly discreet as the building is located in a reasonably busy and narrow street, with buses driving past every ten minuttes and so. A limousine with a uniformed driver is sure to be noticed. :p

In that part of the country the DRF are left alone, should they be seen walking down the street or in a bar or whereever.
The attitude is something like: "Wasn't that Margrethe/Frederik"? "Think so". A quick glance and then leave them alone.

Hi Muhler,

Sounds like a pretty down to earth attitude of both the citizens and the Royals. What I like about Danish Royal family and Fred, since he's the only one I met, is that he is very relaxed, friendly and charming to everyone he meets. Very genuine, nothing forced about him. The Danish Royals seem very down to earth. They're the people's royals. Crown Prince Frederik is a very nice guy. I write children's picture books and I gave him two of my books for Christian and Isabella and the twins. I hope he's kept the books and they haven't gone in the garbage. LOL. When some young children approached him for an autograph he graciously signed. When Princess Anne was approached some years back here by a small boy, she refused. I know royals don't sign as a rule, but sometimes there are exceptions. I know Mary signed for a small girl when she was in the States. Well, I didn't get his autograph but he has mine, whether he likes it or not! haha. Really I do hope he kept the books. I've attached a pic of Crown Prince Frederik looking at the books I gave him. I

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a119/starstruckfan/IMG_4791_2_4.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a119/starstruckfan/IMG_4792_4.jpg

Frederik attended a weightlifting championship in Hillerød, located in the greater Copenhagen area.

Goddag, Deres Kongelige Højhed... - Hillerød Posten

I'll translate this little article in full because it demonstrates how good Frederik is in dealing with people face to face, rather than standing and giving speeches and being "official".

Translation of article in Lokalavisen for Hillerød.
Goddag Deres Kongelige Højhed - Hello your (*) royal Highness
Written by John Jessen Hansen.

"Hello, Finn" was the greeting of Crown Prince Frederik to Finn "Baker" Jensen, when he Saturday at 11.00 got out of the car at Ålholmhallen (sports arena) to take in Ålholm Cup for children and youths as the guest of honor.
"Hello, your Royal Highness", replied Finn "Baker", shook his hand and bowed deeply.
"I bloody hell didn't know to address him but then I discovered that he said (informal) you to me so I dropped "your Royal Highness" and addressed him for the next hour and a half as Crown Prince Frederik.
I was very fond of the Crown Prince before I met him. Now I just think he is an utterly fantastic person. Imagine, he said (informal) you to me and I'm honored about that", says Finn "Baker".

(*) DK lesson: Informal you = du.
Formal you = De.
When you address someone with a title using formal you = Deres exellence XX.
If you used informal you = din exellence XX it would sound wrong and be considered rude.

Another example of the usage of formal and informal you, albeit in a pre 1970's context:
Imagine a somewhat intoxicated man about to leave a pub and being stopped by a waiter:
"Deres hat, hr. De kan da ikke gå uden Deres hat = Your hat, sir. Surely you cannot leave without your hat".

"Din hat, makker. Du kan da ikke gå uden din hat - Your hat, mate. Surely you can't leave without your hat".

Get the difference?

And I agree with you PrincessDianafan the distance between the DRF and the people isn't that big.
Members of DRF have previously never signed autographs but both Mary and Frederik seems to make make the odd exceptions, at least in regards to children.
It can be debated whether royals should sign autographs as if they were mere celebrities. I personally think they should be very careful about it.
But then it can be very difficult to dissapoint a child and you also have to take into account whether dissapointing a child will create a worse impression than signing your autograph from time to time.
I don't think he discarded your books. In fact I wouldn't be at all surprised if he read them himself in bed or on the plane.

Frederik incidentally have eaten at least one live spider, in order to impress children. He succeeded! :eek: :cool:
(From the portrait book about him).

Frederik incidentally have eaten at least one live spider, in order to impress children. He succeeded! :eek: :cool:
(From the portrait book about him).

Ha ha ha was it for real or just some danish humour?
Anyway it must be tough and difficult to impress danish kids! One doesn't have to go that far with little frenchies...:D

Ha ha ha was it for real or just some danish humour?
Anyway it must be tough and difficult to impress danish kids! One doesn't have to go that far with little frenchies...:D

Oh, it's a true story. I can't find it right now, but I've got an anecdote from his time at the Danish embassy in France in the 1990's.
At that time he worked with one of the diplomates, Merete Blide, on issues in African countries. Since France had and have better info on some of these countries, they both went to the Elysee Palais for a meeting with an advisor in African issues.
In the words of Merete Blide:
- It rains heavily when Frederik parks his Renault Clio in front of the Elysee Palais. A security guards greets madame Blide politely and then turns to Frederik: "Monsieur, can you move the car please? Because the Americans will be here shortly". Frederik rush into the car and moves it to another parking space. In the meantime the polite security guard says to Merete Blide: "Madame, for your information I can tell you that the Prince has not arrived yet".
I smile and look at the security guard and say: "But you have, you just spoke to him". The correct security guard blushes and when he leads us along the long corridors of the palace I whisper to Frederik: "He believe you (informal you) are my private chauffeur", which makes Frederik smile broadly.

(Page 137 in the portrait book).

Good to know that he has a great sense of humor and is humble about it. I heard from a friend of mine who had met a certtain British Royal and he did not recognize him. Instead of being humble, the royal imperiously said "Do you know who I am?" This story above makes me like Crown Prince Frederik even more.

Frederik attended a weightlifting championship in Hillerød, located in the greater Copenhagen area.

Here are some additions to that event:

Crown Prince Frederik opened the Aalholm Cup for weight-lifters. Aalholm Cup
was held fo the 25th time and Crown Prince Frederik admitted it was his first
visit to a weight-lifting competition, September 11, 2010.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

Thanks Muhler,

Good to know. Good stuff to know! Glad to know he probably didn't toss the books.
Thanks for the pictures of the new event iceflower and for the article Marika86.

Thank you, Marika :flowers:

A part of the revenue form the Roskilde Festival go to charity. This year to the victims of the flooding in Pakistan. 1 million DKK to be exact.

It was Liam O'Connor who handed over the money to Frederik, who is patron for Danish Red Cross.
Afterwards they had a beer. - In a glass, but there are also pictures of Frederik having a bottle of beer and naturally drinking such a beer from the bottle as the gods intended.

Just as his grandfather, Frederik IX, is known to have done. When he visited Marselisborg and worked on his boat at the beach nearby, he was not above having a bottle of beer and a chat with a couple of blue collar workers who happended to pass him.
There were no PET nor other police officers around back then.

I found the bit about the spider story.

It's from the portrait book:

Christian Buchwald about Frederik and children:
- "Frederik is very attentive of the well being of his children and I'm confident that the CP couple will make sure that their children also will learn about the life outside the polished floors and golden door handles.
- Our children have enjoyed the company of Frederik. Not just because he is funny and dosen't mind some entertaining for children, like swallowing a live spider, dance cossack dance or sing sailor-songs on a very down to earth level. Nor because he knows about the latest music but because in genuinely listen to them and ask into their lives".

Crown Prince Frederik attended the opening of the European Handball
Federation (EHF) congress on September 24, 2010 in Copenhagen.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** belga **

Thanks Marika and iceflower - for keeping us to date with Prince Frederik events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom