The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 04:23 AM
Majesty

Crown Prince Frederik, Current Events 1: November 2002 - October 2007

This I took from www.hellomagazine.com

A way to let newcomers to learn about him.
Is there anything Hello has forgotten about him?
That you want to add

Old 11-11-2002, 04:24 AM
Majesty

from www.hellomagazine.com

Quote:
My aim is to be a a Danish rallying point to awaken the peoples sense of nationality, says Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark. I want to be a good ambassador for my country. But I will not shut myself away in a castle. I will be myself. I will be a human being.

The handsome prince has already been highly successful in carving out a space for himself and winning over his countrymen, as evidenced by the fact that he has been voted Dane of the Year on a number of occasions. Frederik an officer in the military services, a trained diplomat, a sportsman and one of Europes most eligible bachelors - has succeeded in becoming the all-round royal who appeals to all sections of society.

Frederik Andre Henrik Christian was born at Copenhagens Rigshospitalet on May 26, 1968, as the oldest son of Princess Margrethe of Denmark and Henri de Laborde de Monpezat. The young prince was thrust into the limelight early on when at the age of three his grandfather, King Frederik IX died. While still a babe he became the new crown prince as his mother acceded to the throne.

After finishing private school, Frederik attended high school in the plush northern Copenhagen suburb of Hellerup where he majored in foreign languages. Together with his younger brother, Joachim, the prince also spent one year 1982-3 at the Ecole des Roches in Verneuil-sur-Avre in Normandy, France, studying in their fathers native country.

When he turned 18, Frederik was given a seat in the Council of State and from that time he was able to assume the duties of Head of State whenever the Queen was abroad. The same year, the prince started what would be his first of two stints in the military, serving in the infantry regiment of the Royal Life Guards and then joining the Royal Hussars in 1988 as a First Lieutenant.

In 1989 Frederik became the first Danish royal to study for an academic degree, taking up a course in Political Science and Constitutional Law at the University of Aarhus. As part of the course he spent a year at Harvard University in Boston, USA where, apart from studying, he worked among the citys homeless.

Frederik returned to military service, this time the Navy, after graduation. He was chosen out of three hundred applicants to serve in the elite Royal Frogmen Corps, where he earned the nickname Pingo. After returning to civilian life in the late 1990s, Frederik took a up a diplomatic posting as first secretary at the Danish Embassy in Paris.

Apart from his official duties, Frederik is known to be crazy about cars and he is also an avid actor and sportsman. The prince has run the marathons in Copenhagen, New York and Paris and he is a keen football player. But perhaps he is best known around central Copenhagen for going out - it is not unusual to see him around town, enjoying a drink on a terrace or dancing at a nightclub.

As one of Europes most eligible bachelors, Frederiks name often pops up in the press in connection with a new girlfriend. He has been romantically linked to model Katja Storkholm Nielsen and singer Maria Montell. However, it looks as though that part of his life is about to change as Danes and Australians wait with baited breath for a formal announcement of his engagement to former Sydney real estate agent Mary Donaldson. The romance began in 2000 at the Sydney Olympics and has captivated royal watchers on both sides of the globe.

These photos of Frederik are from Britsih Hello magazine. It is old ones.

http://www.hellomagazine.com/profiles/prin...k/?view=gallery

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frelo_81943a.jpeg
Views:	255
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	251   Click image for larger version

Name:	frelo_242198a.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	252   Click image for larger version

Name:	frelo_543964a.jpeg
Views:	397
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	277   Click image for larger version

Name:	frelo_323983a.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	279  

Name:	frelo_365712a.jpeg
Views:	262
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	281   Click image for larger version

Name:	frelo_122906a.jpeg
Views:	158
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	282  

Old 11-20-2002, 01:05 PM
Courtier

Great pictures Lorissa. Thanks for posting them. I especially love the one of Fred with Alex and Joachim. Alex looks great with those pearls and that shade of green. :)
Old 11-22-2002, 01:37 PM
Courtier

Does anyone think that Fred and Mary will eventually announce an engagement? What is the problem? We have already established the fact that Mary has so far been the less scandulous, or how should we say, "good enough" girlfriend of Fred, so what's the problem? How long can this be dragged out? I know that it is seems to be unlikely this year, but after almost two years, how much longer can this particular couple just continue to date one another
Old 11-23-2002, 10:31 AM
Kathy

A very excellent question Jaqueline!

IMHO Fred is wrestling with some or all of the questions/concerns about Mary, which those of us on the message boards devoted to him are. And, I would imagine that the palace (read the Queen) has voiced some of them as well.

I have posted some of my concerns below, in no particular order:

Mary has no problem finding the means to follow Fred around the world, but she can't find the time or means to go home for her grandmothers funeral or birth of her sisters baby? What does that say about her relationship with her family?

If a person can not sustain a loving close relationship with parents and siblings, how can they be expected to sustain a long term relationship with others (Fred) AND/OR how can they be expected to teach that to their children?

Mary flittered from job to job like a butterfly in a garden prior to meeting Fred. In fact, by all published reports, Fred appears to be the only 'job' Mary has held down for longer than a year.
:(

Marys' life, prior to Fred, lacked direction and purpose, she hinted as much, when she told the director of the 'princess course', "I feel that life is passing me by".

Let's face it folks, so far Mary has had an easy row to hoe, but once she becomes engaged/married to Fred (assuming it happens) the real hard work begins for her and, from her spotty work history, I don't know that she has it in her.

Royals work harder than we give them credit for and it's not all pretty jewels and fancy clothes. I'm not confident Mary is clued into that yet or will stick it out when she does wake up to it and I would be willing to bet the Queen has considered it also. IMHO

When I see pictures of Mary smiling at the press who follow her and Fred and read some of the glowing articles written about her, I wonder how she processes it all. Does she see it for what it is (selling papers) or is her ego stoked by the attention or does she equate it with love and affection she feels lacking elsewhere, as Diana was prone to do?

I read somewhere that Diana was given a complete gyn exam prior to the offical engagement announcement, to insure she could bear children. I often felt royal familes would do better to insist on a psychological exam instead....weed out some of the folks folks who are in it for the wrong reasons or who will crack under the pressure. :P

A few other things have troubled me and perhaps some of you old timers can clear them up:
1) I heard Fred was dating someone else when he met Mary. and 2) Fred had visited Mary only 5 times (during the course of a year) prior to asking her to move to Denmark with him AND she quit her job the next day.

If either of the above are true, it doesn't reflect well on Ms. Donaldson either.

I'll shut up now and let someone else talk. :x

Kathy
Old 11-23-2002, 12:42 PM
Lorraine

Hey Kathy and Josefine,

How are you two? Thanks so much Josefine for posting the old picture of Mary. I think that photo was taken from Starlet's Australian website when Mary was doing the $1,955 dollar "Princess course". I am not saying this to sound mean, but Mary looks so much better in this photo and a healthy size 12. I really hate it when girls loose too much weight and become a unhealthy size. She looks like a skeleton now. Her features seem to have changed overnight. Has anyone else noticed that or is there just a problem with my eyes. In her recent photos her nose seems to and facial features has changed, just something different. Maybe all that time she was hidden from the public was because Fred gave her some money for plastic surgery so she had to hide until it healed? Anything is possible. I can't place a word for it why or how she is different, but just "something about Mary". :o :)

Kathy, you have made some very good points about Mary. Thank you so much. I agree with you about her career path. It has never led to anything. She just went from job to job, like one year there and another here and there....anywhere.. I don't think she really realises the responsibilties of being the next Crown Princess/Queen. She comes across to me as someone who has "fantasies" or "dreams" that are unrealistic, but she is determined and really, really wants to be fred's wife. I mean that it is easy to say, yes - I want to become a Queen, but as you pointed out Kathy, it is not as glamorous as what it is made out to be and involves lots of hard work as well as a strict routine for the next sixty years. Mary already could not cope with a job for longer than a year. When she does get bored what is she going to do? Step down and let Alexandra take over for the next sixty years? I think age has nothing to do with maturity. Mary is nearly 31, but doesn't behave that way.

I am a little disappointed with her as she did not do things the proper way. You wait to get the ring first before moving over to the other side of the world to be with a guy. She lived at all the Royal Palaces here and there, without being engaged. Alex was engaged when she moved to Denmark. Maxima moved there with ajob so if the relationship didn't work out then she could move home quitely without anyone making a scene. But in Fred's situation, either way he will be painted to look like the bad guy. He will end up being miserable.

Unlike us Royals should follow some sort of protocol when in this situation of living together before a engagement. I have observed my friends situations and usually when you have moved in with a guy, sometimes he doesn't marry you and comfortable living together as he already has all the priviledges of a husband so why should he bother with the expenses of a wedding. But we are different from Royals so I think Fred has to make up his mind very soon. :x :o

Kathy, about her grandmother. I think that she should have at laest gone back home to Tasmania to pay her last respects and say goodbye. Afterall she is named after her. It is so funny that she has so much time and willing to make an effort to come home for her freind's wedding as well as the Melbourne cup, prior to this trip Brazil as well as France and England. If she had financial difficulty and could not afford the trip to Tasmania, then she should have cut back on the shopping sprees or got a job the moment she arrived and save up or ask Fred to borrow some money.

Have a nice weekend and take care.
Old 11-23-2002, 12:55 PM
Lorraine

Kathy, I love your Avatar and very cute too. Mary should try to make a more stronger connection to her family and try her best to get along with them as family will become more important when you finally have children of your own. If she is to be CP/Q, now is the time to start doing things properly. Firstly by moving back home to Australia and make him chase her, get a job and her own life and not wait at his beck and call day and night. Start living for yourself instead of focusing too much on him. Men do not appreciate it when you give up everything for them. They will love and respect you more when you are independent and not always available. Thats just life. :x :) :(
Old 11-23-2002, 10:05 PM
Kathy

Thanks Lorissa, love your avatar also.

Quote:
Mary should try to make a more stronger connection to her family and try her best to get along with them as family will become more important when you finally have children of your own. If she is to be CP/Q, now is the time to start doing things properly.
I totally agree, however, she should make the effort with her family for her own personal growth and long term happiness, not to please Fred or give the Danish people the impression she is family oriented, which she doesn't appear to be. That (IMO) would be phony and Fred, the Danes and Mary herself deserve better. :P

Quote:
If she is to be CP/Q, now is the time to start doing things properly. Firstly by moving back home to Australia and make him chase her, get a job and her own life and not wait at his beck and call day and night. Start living for yourself instead of focusing too much on him.      
Again, I agree with you, but I think if she went home to Australia now it would look as if the relationship was over and perhaps give Fred the wrong impression and the freedom to date other girls without tripping over Mary left and right (which would make some on this board happy, but not poor Mary ).

What she could do, to assert her indepence, is go completely off Freds payroll!!! Start paying for ALL of her own expenses (apartment, car, clothes, etc.), take care of her own apartment cleaning and get all of the 'palace people' out of her life. She should make some trips without Fred, maybe she could go home to visit the folks and friends. Make some friends outside of Freds circle and spend quality time with them.

This would give him the message that he hasn't won her yet and that she has other options. :) :)

Kathy
:x
Old 11-23-2002, 11:42 PM
Lorraine

Hey Kathy,

How are you? I agree with your points strongly. I just hope that he comes to some agreement soon and make up his mind. Men can be so....oh, better not get into it as I am very biased with my comments. Its just I have seen a lot of friends who have folllowed the Mary formula and it never works out. The guy just treats you as though your stupid and that he has got you already and bored. :( :x
I like Mary and I do think she needs to have her own life and become more independent. I hope noone thinks that I am judging Mary about her work practices. I know for one, I could never be a CP/Q as I would get bored with this job even though it does sound exciting right now. Long term I would leave. It is a very difficult position to be in so its not to be taken lightly. The positive thing is that Mary really wants the job and its good as someone has to do it.

I am so relieved that noone minded me joking about Mary's facial changes. I meant it more as a joke. Everyone who knows me well knows that I have got a big mouth and just make comments more as a teasing or just word of the day. But with Mary, I think that she had a baby look in the above photos, but has grown up now and into a swan.

Kathy, I hope that you are having a great weekend. Have fun and take care.

Hugs,
Lorissa
Old 11-25-2002, 05:39 PM
Courtier

Hi Kathy, you have made great points as usual. I always love your insight on things.

I agree that Mary perhaps was and still is romanticizing being CP/Queen and that is a very dangerous thing. She really needs to understand that she is going to have to do actual work-a thankless, selfless job. She has to do better professionally, and she really must learn to apply herself otherwise, she is going to be in for some seriously hard times as they say.
Old 11-29-2002, 01:19 AM
Kelly B

Hi Lorissa, Jackie O and Kathy,

I agree with much of the points you made.
I am a believer that behavior not words tell the story of a person. What someone says does not hold as much weight, imo, as what someone does.
Behavior and Actions say everything.

*Mary did not attend her grandmother's funeral.
Why couldn't she go? Yet she has been able to go to France, Brasil and back to Australia with Fred. To me, it speaks of one's priorities. She clearly has her eggs in one particular basket and other sections of her life, (ie: family) take a backseat. But one thing that many women who backseat their friends and family, when a hot young man comes along, is that when the hot young man sends you packing--who do you go to? One should never backseat your family for anything.

* Moving across the world for Fred
Mary left everything in Australia, her job, friends and family to go to London "to be with her father" (in Dec 01?) who was heading back to Oz at the beginning of 2002 after his stint as professor at Oxford. Why would she move to be with her father as he was packing up to move back to Australia?
She supposedly told co-workers that is what she was moving for. Perhaps I am moving across the world to live with a man I have seen 7 times or so, doesn't sound too good to your friends.

*Living with and living off of Fred
I think this has been covered before. And it explains itself, imo.

*Job History
Mary clearly hasn't found her calling (or maybe she believes she has )
Her moving from one job to another --one industry to another, does not show a career girl to me. She seems uncertain of herself. Her participation in the Starmaker's course may have been her attempt at self-improvment, but I think there are other ways of improving oneself than going to what is essentially (from how the course is marketed on Starmakers website--starmakers.au.com) a modeling school.

Right now, it seems they are having fun for now. I don't know what their future will hold. I think that decision is up to Fred (and his mom )--I am willing to bet Mary has made her decision (I think she did when she left her life in Australia).

I don't think Fred has made any type of decision, imo--hence no announcement. I think he will have a tough time trying to get out of this relationship-- if he in fact has doubts. This girl has thrown over her life to be with him. She has played her cards extremely well.
Old 11-29-2002, 04:49 AM
Kathy

Hello Kelly!

Excellent points as usual! But, let me play devils advocate with this statement, please:

Quote:
I don't think Fred has made any type of decision, imo--hence no announcement. I think he will have a tough time trying to get out of this relationship-- if he in fact has doubts. This girl has thrown over her life to be with him. She has played her cards extremely well.
First, I agree that Fred has not made any decision yet. Although, I think the television program airing in Denamrk next week about Mary, with all of her friends and past associates speaking about her, will play a small part in his eventual decision. If it's the 'unabridged' version of Marys' life that she apparently (judging from all of her pleas to friends for silence) feels it is, it could give everyone a new slant on Marvelous Mary. :P

As far as having a tough time extracating himself from the relationship.......... I think he would have had a harder time doing that when she was living in his house without a job!

Now that she is a 'working girl' and has her own money and apartment, she can well afford to take care of herself and no one should feel sorry for her.

Let me pose a question of my own here: Does anyone think maybe asking Mary to move out and get a job was Freds way of beginning the break up process? This way it doesn't look so bad for him. Just a thought that has wandered thru my red head from time to time.

"This girl has thrown over her life to be with him." Let us all remember that SHE made the decision to leave her homeland and friends, SHE made the decision to quit her job (such as it was) and SHE should take full responsibility [not Fred] and I'd have a hard time feeling sorry for her if Fred kicks her to the Danish love curb. IMHO :P

Would someone on the boards, who lives in Denmark, be willing to tell us what the Danes think of Mary? Not what the papers are trying to shove down your throats, but what they say in the pubs or at the water cooler, please?

Kathy
Old 11-29-2002, 05:12 AM
Courtier

I don't think Mary had much of life to throw away anyways. I mean, yeah she had pals, but she had no real career and didn't look like she was headed towards finding one anytime soon.

I don't think they are in love with one another and I don't think he will settle for "Miss Good Enough". He has always said he will marry the woman he is in love with, and I just don't see that between them.

I will admit I have questions about a woman who would move halfway around the world for less than an engagement ring. I mean, my father would kill me and my sisters if we even thought about doing something so stupid.

It seems like she desperaretly wants to be Crown Princess and Queen, and because she wants it so bad, I don't want it for her.

I mean, I seriously doubt she would have packed up and moved for Frederik de Laborde de Monpezat. But she dropped everything for HRH Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark. I cannot respect that.

His other girlfriends (other than Maria Montell, but we won't go there) liked Frederik de Laborde de Monpezat, and cared about him as a person, not him as a meal ticket.

I don't think he's going to have hard time getting out of this one. He justs gradually stops seeing them. That's what he did with Bettina. I don't think he'd do any different for Mary.

Kelly D
Old 11-29-2002, 02:59 PM
Commoner

I agree with you, but he seems to have a track record of stop seeing one girl when he has another girl on the line to pick up the slack. I don't see the real heart felt love between them like in other couples! You can usually see it in the glaces they give each other. And I've yet to really see that with them.

Mary moving out was probably the Queen saying enough already summer vacation is over. The report of going out prince hunting ... makes me wonder how the Queen took that report! If you could be a fly for a day, what a conversation she would of had with Fred after that one came out!
Old 11-29-2002, 03:21 PM
Courtier

Someone once said on some MB that Frederik doesn't like to be alone. He doesn't like to be without a girlfriend, which would explain his overlapping of women.

I don't understand why he would have a problem being alone for a short time. I mean, you have to deal with emotionally extricating yourself from one relationship before jumping headlong into another. But it doesn't seem like Frederik agrees with me.

Kelly D
Old 11-30-2002, 04:27 AM
Courtier

I saw that phrase "serial monogamist" about him once, and it does seem to be true.
Old 12-01-2002, 11:32 AM
Lorraine

Hey Kelly B, Jacqueline, Kathy, Suzanne, Amyv and Kelly 9480. :)

How are you all? I agree totally with what all of you have said. Well said as usual. I think that it would be so sad if Fred was to stay with Mary just because he is lonely or need a companion. He should open his eyes wide and look around him as there are so many gorgeous and wonderful ladies around the world that he could spend his life with, including most of the Angels on this forum. :)

Marriage is not only a "marriage" but it all has to do with finding a sincere bride and Queen. You don't want to ruin the reputation of a great nation like Denmark by marrying a lady who is not going to be up to scratch and presentable. She has to be kind, sweet, genuine, be able to do make Denmark proud. So far that role has not been so easy as you have Princess Alexandra and QM as well as five hundred years of wonderful Danish Queens to compare to. I just hope that Fred really thinks seriously before making a lethal decision that could either break or make the monarchy. Its not that I am judging someone by their employment history. All of you guys have brought out fantastic and very valid points that actions does speak louder than words, Mary's past actions has failed in every aspects and is strong evidence that she can't stick with something for long.

Fred's past girlfriends were very sincere, especially Katja and Bettina. Bettina found a unshaven bum near a dump and she didn't even know who he was and showed nothing but kindness and hospitality to and later on was shocked to learn that he was the Crown Prince of Denmark. As Suzanne has pointed out that on the night Mary met Fred she was on a "Prince" hunt so I am questioning her sincerity right now.

I agree with all of you that Mary gave up everything (there wasn't much to give up anyway) as a Kelly9480 pointed out. It was like she saw the opportunity and jumped at the chance. Kelly B always has said that Mary needs to have a career and be financially independent from Fred. All this actions is proving strongly that she is unfit to be a future Crown Princess or Queen. Kelly 8490, I have not heard that term used for ages "serial monogamist", I do agree that if he was seeing both Bettina and Mary at the same time, I think that it is just time before he will dump her for someone else. As Kelly B said on the other forum that if a guy leaves his girlfriend for you, then he will do the same to you. :x

In our New Idea magazine when Beatrice gave one of her "famous" interviews. She also mentioned that Mary dated ONLY successful men and enjoyed the high life in Sydney. She liked going into ONLY expensive or exclusive niteclubs and places that are trendy. So I guess that really summarises her charateristic to the bone. How could she have afford to live in such an expensive area like, Sydneys Bondi Beach and plus drive a nice car? Afterall she has chopped and changed careers so many times and jobs.
Old 12-01-2002, 12:04 PM
Lorraine

http://www.newspix.com.au/v2/

Photo by Chris Hyde of mary's car in Sydney, taken prior to her moving to Denmark. Courtesy of Tisha and Sylvia.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	09342526.jpeg
Views:	172
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	577  
Old 12-01-2002, 06:05 PM
Kelly B

I totally agree too that Fred is a serial monogamist.
He has a strong pattern on going from girlfriend to girlfriend with little time "alone" between them.

I agree with you, Kathy, totally that Mary made her own bed and now has to lie in it. I think life is choices and when you make the kind of choices she has and put all your eggs in one basket and move your life across the world for a man, I can't feel sorry for the girl if it doesn't work out.

It will be very interesting to see what the new programme about Mary has to say. I think the last programme was some people who worked with her at an ad agency extolling her to the skies. It would be interesting to see balanced programme for once, if that is what the new show supposedly is going to be.
I think it would be interesting to hear how average Danes view her vs. what the tabs write report/create.

I have a feeling QM may have had some say in Mary moving out and getting a job. Eventually, she would have to ask her son, "are you serious about this girl and going to marry her?...If not, then why are we supporting this girl?". Fred apparently wasn't able to say to Mom--"I love her and want to marry her". So Mary is now in her own flat with her own "job" (I use this term loosely--as I have never seen a job quite like hers)
Though she is still (given her expenses) being supported by Fred, but now that she is not just shopping, riding horses and being the "professional" girlfriend....the job gives the appearance of independence. Though her attendance for a new employee has been spotty at best. (I have a feeling Peter Warnhoe, Fred's big IT buddy in Denmark might have been VERY helpful in Mary getting her position. The Warnhoe's hosted Mary and Fred skiing last winter)
Old 12-01-2002, 07:28 PM
Courtier

You have all made great points as usual. I am sorry that I was away and missed the initial discussion. :(

But I agree, that if things just don't turn out the way in which Mary has expected (marriage or no marriage) she will have only the reflection in the mirror to blame. She set up the entire thing and played her own warped little game, so whatever prize she gets is what she played for.

I used to feel sorry for her when I looked at the footage of she and Fred arriving at some of the weddings that they attended over the summer and Fred always seemed to be ten steps ahead of her running away, but now I don't care. People do you what you let them do to you, and if she is that bent on snagging a prince/man that she is willing to be completely idiotic and selfless then more power to her. If she likes that kind of sad existence, I love it!

However, I must say that it is really ridiculous for taxpayers to help to pay for her living expenses. I know that many want Fred to marry, but this is a bit much. Here's an idea: How about Mary live in an apartment that can be paid for by her salary? Just a thought. I know that she wants to be near the palace because she is that paranoid and co-dependent, but she is at least in the same country with Fred, so she really needs to lighten up-Geez!

I cannot wait to hear about this new programme either.