Crown Prince Frederik and Mary Donaldson, Current Events 1: September 2002 - May 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Excerption from my post in locked topic :
Frederik and Mary, News and Picture Thread, Part I :
http://www.lestribunesroyales.com/forums/i...pic=2126&st=320
Please read my whole post there - second from the bottom on page 17

anna Posted on: Sep 20th, 2003 - 3:24 pm  

QUOTE (George @ Sep 20th, 2003 - 10:35 am)
Unbelievable, isn't it, considering what the posters here on LTR mentioned months ago about how she went into some bar where there were three princes and tried for each till it took with CP F? wow. Unbelievable.

George, you are totally right - an  unbelievable story - do not believe in it at all ! 

Beatrice Tarnawski has - to my knowledge - only given one interview about Mary Donaldson and Crown Prince Frederik - to the danish newspaper Ekstra Bladet.
Has anyone read any other original interview with that woman ?
If so, please post about it here or at Royal Blue.

By original I mean another interview that is not a version of the EB interview made by translating that one back to english again.

On Royal Blue poster Freja - a dane with a degree in law - has put a lot of work into an accurate translation of the EB interview from 2002 as well as the new BT interview made after the statement 24.september 2003.

With Freja's permission I post her post at LTR too :

Royal Blue - forum Mary - topic Mary's Official Cv - page 8 - Freja Posted: Sep 29 2003, 03:05 - http://forums.rbhq.net/index.php?showtopic=44&st=105 :

Okay - here is the infamous article from Ekstra Bladet http://ekstrabladet.dk/VisArtikel.iasp?PageID=193225
In my opinion the article says more about Miss Beatrice Tarnawski's desire to make herself interesting or possibly the journalist's attempt to beat a story out of a dead horse....any story...
But judge for yourself:

Mary Chased Frederik
Had a free pick on the shelf with princes and fell head over heals with the Danish Crownprince
By Lars Jørgensen, 4th of November 2002.

Sydney (Ekstra Bladet): Crownprince Frederik thanked the girlfriend, of his Australian Girlfriend, Beatrice Tarnawski – Mary hasn't.
Not even in spite that it was this girlfriend who, during the Olympics in Sydney two years ago, invited the darkhaired accountant from Tasmania to participate in the Crownprince's small, royal gathering at the bar Slip Inn in Sydney.

According to Mary's girlfriend it was at Slip Inn that Frederik over beer and pizza with lambs-meat for the first time spotted the – to the public unknown – Australian. It was when the party left Slip Inn, that the Crownprince first started hitting on Mary, even though his Greek cousin Prince Nikolaos already had a good eye on her.

Frede said thanks
"When Frederik after the Olympics returned to Sydney in February 2001 to celebrate Valentine's Day with Mary, I met them hand in hand at the nightclub The Establishment", says 30-year-old adverticing-consultant Beatrice Tarnawski to Ekstra Bladet.

"While Mary was walking around and talking to her old friends, Frederik walked over to me. He was so sweet to say to me: Thank you, it is because of you, that Mary and I are now together.
That was nice of him to say that, but I answered him, that it was probably more coincidence that played it's hand."

Going to wedding
"What did Mary say?"
"You have a good point there. She actually never thanked me. After she met Frederik she asked me at one time, how she could get work as a text-writer in the advertising-business. I haven't spoken to Mary since she moved to Denmark. But I do expect that she invites me for her wedding, if she and Frederik gets married. Because the first night, when we left Slip Inn, we girls promised eachother, that whomever of us got married to one of the European princes – then we all had to come to the wedding."

Mary was ready
The week after Frederik's first wild night out with Mary, that lasted until daybreak, Beatrice Tarnawski again invited Mary out in the bubbling Olympic city.
This time again together with the nephew of the Spanish King, Bruno Alejandro Gomez-Acebo, who was also there the first night.
He was the one, who introduced Mary's girlfriend (Tarnawski) to Crownprince Frederik, Prince Joachim, Prince Nikolaos and the Norwegian Princess Märtha, before they all walked with her (Tarnawski) to Slip Inn, where Mary and several others of Beatrice Tarnawski's Australian friends were waiting.

"Mary was ready right away the other evening. She asked who else would be there. It was clear, that she was hoping that one person in particular would show up," the girlfriend says.

Stayed over at Mary's
"This night we were introduced to the Spanish Crownprince Felipe. Mary was happy enough to meet him, but you could sense, that she would rather be with somebody else. When it was clear, that the Danish Crownprince was not going to show up that evening, Mary and her girlfriend quickly left. I think she was hoping to meet Frederik someplace else in the city."

Something indicates that Mary did indeed meet the Danish Crownprince again in the pulsating nightlife of Sydney.
Because according to Beatrice Tarnawski Frederik visited Mary several times, in her appartment that she shared on Porter Street 20 in the suburb of Sydney Bondi Junction, during the Olympics.

"Did he stay over at her place?"

"Yes, at least once."

Like a fairytale
Both Beatrice Tarnawski and other of Mary's Australian friends were surprised that the couple succeeded in keeping their relationship hidden for so long.

"I could tell you many details of their private lives, but I don't want to tell the public that," says Beatrice Tarnawski.

"When I have chosen to tell you about their first meeting, it is only because the world needs positive news after the many recent acts of terror. The history of Mary and Frederik is a wonderful fairytale that could be written by Hans Christian Anderson. Since I was part of the first chapter of this story, I am happy to share my story with the rest of the world."

"But didn't you find the prince of your life yet – as Mary seems to have?"

"No, but I'm really just looking for an ordinary, nice boyfriend – not a real prince…well, then it should be the Spanish Crownprince. I have heard, that he is still single. Unfortunately I think he prefers blondes".

And here is BT's take on Miss Beatrice Tarnawski's breathtaking story (that article is from the September 26, 2003)
http://www.bt.dk/royalt/artikel:aid=220302...:fid=100039779/

She brought Frederik and Mary together
By Karin Schmidt

Right now the young Australian woman Beatrice Tarnawski has a good reason to look at herself in the mirror and feel proud. She is responsible that Frederik met the woman that he is going to be engaged to in 2 weeks from now.

If it wasn't for her, Danes would never have heard of Mary Donaldson and Tasmania would still be most famous for the Tasmanian Devil.

That is not reality anymore thanks to the former friend of Mary Beatrice, who arranged the night in Sydney, when the Crownprince and Mary saw eachother for the first time at a bar. An evening that developed into the two moving closer and closer together and finally ended up in an intense conversation. At the time Beatrice had absolutely no idea, that the meeting at the bar between her friend and the prince would end up in a gigantic TV-transmitted wedding.

Dating Frederik
"The first night, I couldn't at all know, how serious it would be. Before that, all of us girlfriends had an internal joke about who would get the prince. But that was only a joke. All the girls were very excited that evening – of course Mary was too. None of us actually thought that anything would come of it. When Mary started dating Frederik it was actually all very bizarre," says Beatrice, who remembers that the contact between Frederik and Mary slowly developed during the evening.

"At the beginning there was not all that much chemistry between them, but later in the evening, she spoke with him for a very long time. But we were all just having fun together, so I don't think any of us had figured out, what it would all end up with", says the Australian woman, who on the other hand wasn't surprised, when she Wednesday got the news, that the fairytale had come true. When Mary and Frederik became boyfriend/girlfriend, she was certain that Mary would end up being a bride.

"She is a woman who knows what she wants, so I am not surprised that she got engaged with him. She has a very strong personality that really won him over", says Beatrice, who has never been a really close friend of Mary, so they didn't have contact since Mary moved to Denmark.

Still – she is excited as a true bosom-friend to hear the news that Mary will finally get her prince.

Frederik in love
"It is fantastic news to me. I'm not only happy for her, but also for him. She has impressed Frederik and he is deeply in love with her. It is amazing that they found each other", says Mary's former friend, who would be very, very happy to receive an invitation to the wedding as thanks for doings that night in the bar.

Aeroplane ticket
"If Frederik and Mary did send me an invitation, I would get the aeroplane-ticket, but right now, I don't know what is going to happen. But maybe I will be positively surprised", says Beatrice who, as many others, dreams of walking into Holmen Church shoulder by shoulder with princes, princesses, kings and queens from all over Europe. If she would get invited, she knows, that Mary wouldn't be exactly the same today as the Mary she knew three years ago.

Spice up your life
"Of course she has changed for her new role, and if she hadn't that wouldn't be good either", says the woman who brought together the most talked about couple in Denmark. An achievement she can allow herself to be proud of.

"I'm probably more proud of other things I have done in life and that nobody knows anything about, but this has spiced up my life. And it is a good story to tell at dinner-parties", the young woman laughs and as most other Australians she is keeping a sharp eye on their relationship in the press.

Best regards

Freja

OT .... getting way ahead, the first child of F and M will be called by a traditional name, or something modern?
Personally I prefer Christian? :innocent:
How about Christiane for a gal?

Seems like he'll have to name his son Christian in order to continue the trend. You know..Christian, Frederik, Christian, Frederik, Christian, Frederik, etc.

Seems like he'll have to name his son Christian in order to continue the trend. You know..Christian, Frederik, Christian, Frederik, Christian, Frederik, etc.

Moosey, you mean to say that is what history shows, so far?

Originally posted by haakon2@Sep 29th, 2003 - 4:05 pm
Personally I prefer Christian? :innocent:
How about Christiane for a gal?
:innocent: Is there a reason you'd have a preference for the name Christian? :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

Could someone post some popular or common Danish names? (And maybe some names frequently used by the Danish royal family?) I plead ignorance as a Northa American. :( :unsure:

Well, if they had a boy I would go for Christian as the name because Christian is traditional. King Frederik IX's father was King Christian. If King Frederik IX would have had a boy his name would have been Christian.

If Frederik and Mary have a girl I think Alexandrine would be a likely choice, but I suppose she could be Margrethe III.

Originally posted by Alexandria@Sep 29th, 2003 - 6:23 pm
Could someone post some popular or common Danish names? (And maybe some names frequently used by the Danish royal family?) I plead ignorance as a North American. :( :unsure:
Ok, I don't live in Denmark, but my mom's family came from Denmark and my husband's parents came from Denmark, so here's some Danish names:

My mom's dad couldn't pronounce any V's, so he'd pronounce them as W's. So he named his 4 children, Verla, Verda, Violet and Vernon, and pronounced all their names as if they started with a W.

Other Danish names: Erik, Martina, Elsa, Inga, Anna, Lisa, Bettina....................but maybe they are too Danish for the Danish Royal Family? :unsure:

My tip for a firstborn boy : Christian
My tip for a firstborn girl : Margrethe

BUT is this topic - news and picture - the correct topic for a discussion on names on a future child to a still not engaged couple ?

http://kongehuset.dk

Program for den 8. oktober 2003Kl. 09.45 - 10.00
Regeringens medlemmer ankommer i biler over Amalienborg Slotsplads til Hovedporten i Christian IX's Palæ.

Kl. 10.00
Ordinært statsråd i Christian IX's Palæ.
Statsrådet udgøres af regeringens medlemmer under forsæde af Hendes Majestæt Dronningen; endvidere har Hans Kongelige Højhed Kronprinsen sæde i statsrådet. I mødet behandles bl.a. de lovforslag, regeringen ønsker fremsat for Folketinget. Under statsrådet vil Hendes Majestæt Dronningen i overensstemmelse med en indstilling fra Statsministeren efter Tronfølgelovens § 5, stk.3, give samtykke til, at Hans Kongelige Højhed Kronprinsen indgår ægteskab med frk. Mary Elizabeth Donaldson.

Kl. 11.00
Efter statsrådet samles ministrene i Riddersalen, hvor man hilser på det forlovede par, Regentparret, professor John Donaldson og fru Susan Moody. Herefter fotografering ved hoffets foranstaltning af begivenheden.

Kl. 12.00
Det forlovede par, Regentparret, professor John Donaldson og fru Susan Moody viser sig på balkonen.

Kl. 13.15
Familiefrokost på Fredensborg Slot.

Kl. 15.30
Fotosession og pressemøde i Havesalen på Fredensborg Slot efter særlig akkreditering.

Kl. 20.00
Udvidet statsrådsmiddag på Fredensborg Slot. Til den middag er inviteret det forlovede par, Den Kongelige Familie, professor John Donaldson, fru Susan Moody, regeringsmedlemmerne, Folketingets formand, partiledere, repræsentanter for Grønlands og Færøernes Hjemmestyrer, Højesteretspræsidenten og hoffet m.fl.

Datoen for brylluppet mellem Hans Kongelige Højhed Kronprinsen og frk. Mary Elizabeth Donaldson forventes offentliggjort den 8. oktober 2003.

http://kongehuset.dk

Press Conference at Fredensborg Castle on 8 October 2003Members of the press will have the possibility to meet His Royal Highness Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark and Miss Mary Elizabeth Donaldson at:

Fredensborg Castle
on Wednesday 8 October 2003 at 15.30.
Meeting Place: Blue Gate at 15.20.

Each media may send one journalist and one photographer but it is a condition for participation in the press conference that notification in writing stating names of participants is received by H.R.H. The Crown Prince's Court by 16.00 on Monday 6 October.

Curriculum Vitae for Miss Mary Elizabeth Donaldson and Professor John D. Donaldson can be seen at the home-page of His Royal Highness at web-address: www.hrhthecrownprince.dk.

P. Thornit
Lord Chamberlain

Originally posted by samitude@Sep 29th, 2003 - 10:47 pm
If Frederik and Mary have a girl I think Alexandrine would be a likely choice, but I suppose she could be Margrethe III.
Well, I would most definitely be in support of Alexandrine! ;) A most beautiful and regal name for a possible future queen! And isn't that one of Queen Margrethe's middle names?

I think Ingrid would more likely be a choice for a middle name, espescially since Frederik's cousin Alexandra just named her new daughter Ingrid.

for a girl's name, won't "Alexandria" do? Sounds far more regal than Alexandrine.

Originally posted by King Christian@Sep 30th, 2003 - 12:10 pm
for a girl's name, won't "Alexandria" do? Sounds far more regal than Alexandrine.
Anything to further the name! I get so much mail addressed to Alexan-DRA and not drIa! Not that there is anything wrong with the name Alexandra - it's just not my name!

And of course I would be honoured if the future Queen of Denmark were named after me! ;)

Maybe you could spearhead this campaign, King Christian? Start a petition or something? :p

Frederik, Mary to appear on balcony
From correspondents in Copenhagen
October 1, 2003
http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0...55E1702,00.html

AUSTRALIA'S Mary Donaldson and Crown Prince Frederik will make their first official public appearance together next week when they appear on the balcony of a Copenhagen castle, the palace said today.

At the October 8 meeting of Queen Margrethe and the Danish government at Amalienborg Castle, the state council will endorse Frederik's engagement with Donaldson, according to a program released today.

Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen has said his government will approve the engagement, meaning Donaldson, a 31-year-old native of Hobart, would become the next queen of Europe's oldest monarchy.

Margrethe has stressed she has no plans to step down.

The date and site of the wedding will also be announced.

--
Wonder what Mary's engagement ring will look like. Any bets? I am betting an emerald-cut diamond with ruby baguettes (colors of the Danish flag) :p .

Last edited by a moderator:
Well..there's a trend see, the past what..20 kings have been Frederiks and Christians...so I'm just saying that the trend is to name their son Christian. It doesn't matter if their son is their oldest or youngest, he'll be first in line to the throne after his father. Geez...that's rather sexist. They should go with the heriditary first born stuff, ya' know, it shouldn't matter if they have a son after a daughter, the daughter should be the first in line. Birth right.. :rolleyes:

www.bt.dk

first picture after the Announcement

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 2,728
Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I notice about Mary, is that she has a normal look about her. In fact, I go as far to say that her future sister-in-law has more (of an exotic) beauty about her.

Mary - to me - just doesn't have that photogenic beauty, that screams for attention, that we have come to almost expect from the other CP's.

I wonder how much of this unassuming look has charmed Prince Fred? Not being overwhelmingly upstaged (aswas Prince Charles' misfortune), must have some appeal.

Originally posted by King Christian@Oct 1st, 2003 - 9:23 pm
One thing I notice about Mary, is that she has a normal look about her. In fact, I go as far to say that her future sister-in-law has more (of an exotic) beauty about her.

Mary - to me - just doesn't have that photogenic beauty, that screams for attention, that we have come to almost expect from the other CP's.
Julia and I had a conversation about this and while I can't speak on her behalf, the conclusion I've come to about why I'm not ga-ga for Mary is that she seems cold and elusive, the typical 'ice princess.' (Marie Chantal of Greece brings to mind the same connotations -- but that's another subject altogether.)

For me, it's not about whether Mary is beautiful or not or as beautiful as her future sister-in-law Alexandra. Mary to me is quite plain, but so is Mette-Marit and I like her. Mary just doesn't appear to be warm and friendly the way many of the women in the Danish royal family are, like Ingrid, Margrethe, Alexandra, Benedikte and Anne-Marie (now of Greece).

As for the other CP's, Mathilde was most certainly warm and friendly; Maxima had an undeniable spirit, energy and enthusiasm about her; and Mette-Marit because she was so wildly and sincerely in love with Haakon.

Alexandria 
Posted: Oct 1st, 2003 - 9:53 pm

Julia and I had a conversation about this and while I can't speak on her behalf, the conclusion I've come to about why I'm not ga-ga for Mary is that she seems cold and elusive, the typical 'ice princess.' (Marie Chantal of Greece brings to mind the same connotations -- but that's another subject altogether.)

For me, it's not about whether Mary is beautiful or not or as beautiful as her future sister-in-law Alexandra. Mary to me is quite plain, but so is Mette-Marit and I like her. Mary just doesn't appear to be warm and friendly the way many of the women in the Danish royal family are, like Ingrid, Margrethe, Alexandra, Benedikte and Anne-Marie (now of Greece).

As for the other CP's, Mathilde was most certainly warm and friendly; Maxima had an undeniable spirit, energy and enthusiasm about her; and Mette-Marit because she was so wildly and sincerely in love with Haakon.

Plain .. wow ... what a putdown !!!

As plain as Mette-Marit, that is debateable. MM as her off days and her on days, I have noticed. Now, she certainly has the pregnant glow.

I think its worth more discussion .....
if we were to say that its a 'charisma' thing, where in this department does Mary appear to fall short?

Or .... what all does charisma mean????

Originally posted by King Christian@Oct 1st, 2003 - 10:04 pm
Plain .. wow ... what a putdown !!!

As plain as Mette-Marit, that is debateable. MM as her off days and her on days, I have noticed. Now, she certainly has the pregnant glow.

I think its worth more discussion .....
if we were to say that its a 'charisma' thing, where in this department does Mary appear to fall short?

Or .... what all does charisma mean????
King Christian, you are a most worthy discussion/debate partner! ;)

I wouldn't consider plain a put down. Many people whom I would consider plain are still quite attractive. It just means that their beauty doesn't hit you immediately, that it takes a second or third look to see how attractive they really are - which is not wholly a bad thing. I myself don't care for the 'hit-you-in-the-face' with their beauty people - to me it makes me think that they must spend half their time primping in the mirror. Natural, wholesome beauty is much more appealing.

For me, charisma is a combination of things. Not evey person whom I might describe as charismatic will possess the same identical list of qualities.

I resort to the Crown Princesses ...

Maxima is charismatic in that she seems to have boundless energy and spirit, an infectious enthusiasm and the ability to focus in on people and make them feel important when she speaks to them.

Mathilde is charismatic in a more simple and quiet manner, warm, open and friendly, caring and compassionate and sympathetic; the kind of person whom if you were friends with her would give you her jacket if you were cold or food if you were hungry.

Mette-Marit is charismatic in a whole different manner in that she lived a life that has been 'challenging' - of her own doing, of course. But she seems to have gained a great amount of empathy from her previous life experience for others and I get from Mette-Marit that she is the kind of person who cares a lot about people and for whom things are very much 'all or nothing' - and when it's her all, it is quite impressive.

Other things that can be charismatic: intelligence, wit - not just a sense of humour, but intelligent humour, being complimentary in a sincere manner, confidence and respect for yourself and others.

King Christian is a very worthy debate partner!

Well, I know what Alexandria means and I think perhaps I can explain. Mary lacks an inner glow that the other Danish royals have. This is not about beauty (Mary's very girl-next-door). To me many people that we would call "normal" looking are wonderfully attractive people because they have warmth and a certain charisma. It's the spirit of the person.

You can see so much spirit, enthusiasim, warmth and appetite for life in Queen Margrethe.

Princess Alexandra exudes a quiet charisma.

Queen Anne-Marie has an unassuming beauty and grace.

Queen Ingrid was so very dignified and therefore handsome because of this dignity.

Mary smiles a great deal for the camera but is lacking in something. To me it's spirit and warmth. I don't doubt she's a bright woman. I don't believe that Frederik would marry an unintelligent woman but she's not very warm. At least not in the photos we've seen so far. She seems self-involved and very aware of the camera and how she looks. Yes, this is important for a woman who will be the future queen of Denmark but I prefer the image of someone like Mette-Marit or Maxima smiling out of joy instead of out of vanity. I know many people will disagree with me but, oh well, it's my opinion. :)

Alexandria 
Posted: Oct 1st, 2003 - 9:53 pm

... doesn't appear to be warm and friendly the way many of the women in the Danish royal family are, like Ingrid, Margrethe, Alexandra, Benedikte and Anne-Marie (now of Greece).

I take exception with your view on the other lady Danes: Margrethe to me looks like she is uncomfortable in her own skin ... so the warmth is forced. The few pics I have seen of Ann-Marie is a bit of haughty. Benedikte looks the most natural of the 3 sisters. Ingrid I have no knowledge about. Alexandra just brings that exotic appeal with her, plus the fact that she knows she has Joachim's love.

Perhaps that is something that Mary is not certain of? That she has Frederik's love? Perhaps he is in that "well, she's here I might as well marry her if I have to get married anyway..." mode. Just a thought.

Julia ... joy, grace, dignity, appetite for life ... other great elements of charisma.

And I forgot to add passion. I once had to fill out a questionnaire at journalism school on what word was my most favourite word and also what word I found most sexy. (Yes, for us (geeky) journalists, words can be sexy!) For both, I put 'passion,' because someone who possesses it is so attractive and appealing because they care so intensely about someone or some subject.

Absolutely. I forgot passion and the other great elements of charisma. Without lust for life a person appears to be quite cold. It is this passion that makes what some would call "normal" looking people so incredibly attractive.

Originally posted by King Christian@Oct 1st, 2003 - 10:25 pm
I take exception with your view on the other lady Danes: Margrethe to me looks like she is uncomfortable in her own skin ... so the warmth is forced. The few pics I have seen of Ann-Marie is a bit of haughty. Benedikte looks the most natural of the 3 sisters. Ingrid I have no knowledge about. Alexandra just brings that exotic appeal with her, plus the fact that she knows she has Joachim's love.
Even though I'm just exhausted after a long day at work today and my bed is calling me, I could not resist and had to reply to King Christian's comments!

Anne-Marie is the furthest from being 'haughty' in my opinion. Whenever I see pictures of her she has an ever-present smile with a laugh tugging at the corners of her mouth and twinkling eyes. She seems to radiate happiness and joy with whomever she is in the presence of or whatever occasion she is attending, from glamorous royal galas to a walk in the park with her daughter and granddaughters.

And I don't think Margrethe is uncomfortable in her own skin at all. Maybe you are mistaking her uncomfortableness for her regalness and her grandeur. Of all the reigning Queens, I think Margrethe is the most regal. From what I understand, while Margrethe most certainly has expectations about how the Danish court should be conducted and what the proper protocols for things should be, she also has a sense of the whimsical and fun to her. Witness her numerous artistic endeavours, from her art exhibits, book illustrating to ballet costume designing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom