The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 12:26 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Yes and I thought Alexandra was wearing the same dress as well. Anyway, I don't like the shawl like that. I mean in that manner. Sure, she may be cold but her shoulders are bare. I think she looks great.

Old 01-29-2004, 12:55 PM
Courtier

Thank you for the pictures Alexandria.

I am surprised that Mary would wear the same gown again so soon as well. However, it is a good step for her as was pointed out by another poster. We all know how much discussion has been discussed and is still being discussed about her shopping habits.

I really liked the fact that she wore her hair down this time; it was a very good look for her. Perhaps she wore the shawl because she was wearing a familiar gown again so soon. Mary may have thought that a difference in her hair style and adding a shawl would perhaps take attentio away from the fact that it is the same dress that she wore soon after engagement announcement.

Old 01-29-2004, 04:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by Jacqueline@Jan 29th, 2004 - 11:55 am
Perhaps she wore the shawl because she was wearing a familiar gown again so soon. Mary may have thought that a difference in her hair style and adding a shawl would perhaps take attentio away from the fact that it is the same dress that she wore soon after engagement announcement.
Yep, IMO that's the reason why she wore it.

I think she's like that - you see her wearing the same pieces of clothes, but she never wears it the same way. Like the cardigan she wore arriving in Sydney she wore again to the tennis but underneath a jacket; and the top she wore to her sister's hen's night she wore with something underneath which she didn't do the next day when she again wore the same top; or that belly-button bearing outfit to a wedding, she wore the same skirt to the Swedish do (the one with CP.Victoria) but changed the top so it looked very different.... there's heaps of other examples!

I like the engagement dress better this time!!! She looked waay prettier in these pics than during the engagement. Good on ya Mary! :flower: :flower:
Old 01-29-2004, 06:54 PM
Gentry

I like the fact that the colour of the dress matches Frederik's sash. It's sweet of her to notice and ask for a dress to be made in that colour. I presume it's not a coincidence.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:18 AM
Gentry

A repeat of a ballgown within the same year? Somehow I would have thought that Mary, being in the spotlight as she is, would have had another made for her. But even though I didn't like the gown that much the first time around, I really like that she thought it was okay to wear it again. It shows that she realizes that there are more important things than having a brand-new outfit for every different occasion. There are some women who you just KNOW would rather die than show up again in last year's Valentino. Mary clearly isn't like that, and that's refreshing.

And she looks much prettier in it this time. The matching teal wrap is lovely, and her loose hairstyle is much more flattering on her than the tight chignon she wore last time. And most importantly, she's so much more at ease now.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:46 AM
Royal Highness

I agree with your comments one hundred percent. I too, did not care for the outfit at first, but it looks really good on her the second time around. It seems as if her tactic of wearing the same outfit twice has worked to her advantage. Having been seen at so few functions since her engagement was announced, she would definitely have to know that people would notice the fact that she had worn this outfit just a few months before. So I have to wonder, if this was a carefully planned tactic meant to make people think that she is not a shopaholic and is meant to make her more endearing to the public? Whatever the case, I think it worked will for her.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:54 AM
Commoner

I agree with your comments completely.
Mary did indeed look better in the green gown with her hair down this time and a lot more relaxed. Also by wearing the same outfit with a few differences ensures that she is seen not as a spendthrift and wasting all the princes money on clothes. I am not sure whether you remember but that is exactly what happened with Mette-Mariet when she first got married.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:34 AM
Commoner

Wow! She looked so much more relaxed than we've seen her in the past! Her hair looks much better when it's not so severly styled. It's nice to see her smiling in a formal setting.

Juliane
Old 01-30-2004, 03:34 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally posted by Gabriella@Jan 29th, 2004 - 11:46 pm
I agree with your comments one hundred percent. I too, did not care for the outfit at first, but it looks really good on her the second time around. It seems as if her tactic of wearing the same outfit twice has worked to her advantage. Having been seen at so few functions since her engagement was announced, she would definitely have to know that people would notice the fact that she had worn this outfit just a few months before. So I have to wonder, if this was a carefully planned tactic meant to make people think that she is not a shopaholic and is meant to make her more endearing to the public? Whatever the case, I think it worked will for her.
Oh, I hadn't thought of that! Could it indeed be that Mary intentionally wore a repeat ballgown in order to curry favor with the public? If so, she's more calculated than I'd thought!

But that's okay to me. IMO, based on what I've read about her personality and the fact that she managed to tame one of the most notorious playboys in Europe, she probably does have the ability to plot her moves and plan ahead in a way that many others don't. People may criticize her for it, but I don't think this particular characteristic (if she indeed possesses it) makes her a bad person.
Old 01-30-2004, 05:50 AM
Courtier

Maybe she did or maybe she didn't calculate it.... the thought occured to me too. But in either case, she's quite good at mix and matching. She's been doing it all along, not just after the engagement.

But I think ultimately, it was because she wanted to wear her engagement gown again... I don't think she had a good time at the proper engagement dinner (she looked too uptight) and she probably wanted to attach more happier memories with the gown so she used it the second time (of course my opinion only :P )
Old 01-30-2004, 09:33 AM
Courtier

I actually like Mary wearing her hair up like she did at the dinner. I think she looked really beautiful and regal then. The dress itself is so beautiful. I love it.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:59 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally posted by Juliane@Jan 30th, 2004 - 12:34 am
Wow! She looked so much more relaxed than we've seen her in the past! Her hair looks much better when it's not so severly styled. It's nice to see her smiling in a formal setting.

Juliane
I agree. Mary looks a lot natural now.

The hair down makes her look more warm. Hair up makes her look more severe.

Actually I think she can look very nice either with her hair up (for very formal events) and her hair down. I guess it will depend on the occasion.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:20 PM
Aristocracy

Mary will celebrate her 32nd birthday on Thursday.

I'm guessing a quite/romantic dinner with Fred
Old 02-05-2004, 08:40 PM
Nobility

Mary looks gorgeous when she smiles. Sometimes she reminds me of Catherine Zeta Jones. Both ladies look very exotic.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:57 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Mary looks gorgeous when she smiles. Sometimes she reminds me of Catherine Zeta Jones. Both ladies look very exotic.
I don't know about Mary looking like Catherine Zeta Jones, but yeah they remind me of each other sometimes. I think it's the dark hair and brown eyes. Sometimes both of them look quite Spanish and exotic.

I agree about Mary looking nice when she smiles. I really really like the recent pics at the dance - the hair and make-up were just right. But the engagement dinner and the orangey-pink dress, I didn't like those as much.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Hmm ... what is with Frederik and Felipe lately? First they both become enagaged around the same time, then both their future wives show up at functions in similar jackets and now both couples are on skiing holidays!

... Wonder if these two Crown Princes have a direct line to each other's palaces and confer on what they're next move will be?!
Old 02-09-2004, 11:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexandria@Feb 9th, 2004 - 7:46 pm
Hmm ... what is with Frederik and Felipe lately? First they both become enagaged around the same time, then both their future wives show up at functions in similar jackets and now both couples are on skiing holidays!

... Wonder if these two Crown Princes have a direct line to each other's palaces and confer on what they're next move will be?!
Really??? I know about them going skiing (maybe Felipe is teaching Letizia to ski and Fred is teaching Mary to ski :P ) but I didn't know about them wearing the same jacket. Which one is that? You mean ski jackets?
Old 02-10-2004, 01:10 AM
Gentry

What's with Frederick and Mary and sunglasses...they always seem to have new/different ones on. It's kind of cute though, like they are the sunglasses couple - a nice trademark I must say.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:54 AM
Courtier

It looks to me like Mary's glasses are the same ones she wore during her Australian visit (Australian open/ vineyard). I like these ones coz its big. She used to wear smaller ones and her eyebrows stick out, making it look like she's raising them :P .

I like how Fred's sunnies match his skis!! Though the sunnies by itself doesn't look all that crash hot to me. The pics look cute though. You know, I'd really like to know if they talk to each other in Danish now.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:03 AM
Aristocracy

Yes Miss Mary has a thing for sunglasses--She knows how to pick them :P

I agree with Lyle--nice trademark

Closed Thread

Tags
crown prince frederik, current events, mary donaldson