Crown Prince Frederik and Mary Donaldson, Current Events 1: September 2002 - May 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
a wonderful monogram.modern and simple but also regal and elegant like it must be for a Crown Princly Couple....
:rolleyes:

I am afraid I don't like it. It's ok but not great. :yuk:

In my opinion the crown and the letters clash. 2 different styles. Letters kind of retro 1920/30 or a bit Viking.....the crown more rococo.

Somehow her own monogram (guess she created it herself) is the best work she has done yet. Maybe we could make a poll with all the monograms?

from MSN.com

Royal wedding details revealed

AP - Friends, family, political leaders and European royals are to attend the wedding of Crown Prince Frederik and his Australian fiancee Mary Donaldson in May, the royal palace has announced.

Frederik and Donaldson, who met during the 2000 Sydney Olympics, will marry May 14 at Copenhagen's Lutheran cathedral.

The 31-year-old Donaldson will become the first Australian woman to stand in line to become Denmark's queen. She will become Crown Princess Mary.

Frederik, 35, is first in line to the throne, but his mother, Queen Margrethe, 63, has said she has no plans to step down.

Which royals were invited wasn't revealed, but Lord Chamberlain Ove Ullerup, head of the royal household, said the guest list will represent both sides of the couple's family.

"There will be foreign guests, representatives from Australia and friends from Australia," Master of Ceremonies Christian Eugen-Olsen added.

After the 4pm wedding ceremony, the couple will ride through the Danish capital in a horse-drawn carriage to downtown Amalienborg Castle, where the royals live.

There, the newlyweds will appear on the balcony of one of the four Renaissance-style mansions that make up Amalienborg.

The wedding party will be held at the Fredensborg Palace, an 18th century castle 35km north of Copenhagen.

The first official wedding event starts on May 11 with dinner at parliament. The next day, the couple will meet with Copenhagen Lord Mayor Jens Kramer Mikkelsen at city hall.

On May 13, Frederik and Donaldson will receive well-wishers and attend a concert and show that night at the Royal Theatre, the city's playhouse, which dates back to 1770.

"It will be a combination of very different events," Ullerup said.

A royal monogram combining the initials of the future couple was already shown via the Crown Prince's website, said Lord Chamberlain Per Thornit, the head of Frederik's court.

After the wedding, the couple will sail aboard the royal yacht Dannebrog and will visit Greenland in late June.

from arlafoods.com

It seems like Denmark and Australia would become very good pals like the US and UK.

Rising cheese consumption "Down Under"

The forthcoming wedding between Denmark’s Crown Prince Frederik and the Australian Mary Donaldson is not the only proof of good relations between Denmark and Australia.
The financial year 2002/03 saw a 30% rise in exports of Danish Blue and Havarti cheese “Down Under”.

”The advance is due to the introduction of new products in chains such as Woolworth and Coles as well as to the fact that our current range is selling well,” explains Regional Export Manager Peter Storm Laursen.

“Due to its population mix, Australia has significant requirements for imported products,” he adds. “We’ve recently gained new strength in the market and we’re also hopeful that the royal wedding in the spring will stimulate interest in Denmark and Danish products.”

375375a.jpg

this is apicture of the night mary and f met the first time
is there a bigger version?

Do you think mary and fred will attend the athen's olympic games that are being held in augest unless they are to busy attending to raoyal duties to attend the most importand event of the year?

And there isn't a right or wrong answer to this question and your options are more than welcome about this topic.

And augest is still a long way so anything can help to mary and fred during may 14 and the upcoming olympic games in augest . B)

Originally posted by tigerlilly23@Jan 19th, 2004 - 7:25 am
Do you think mary and fred will attend the athen's olympic games that are being held in augest unless they are to busy attending to raoyal duties to attend the most importand event of the year?

And there isn't a right or wrong answer to this question and your options are more than welcome about this topic.

And augest is still a long way so anything can help to mary and fred during may 14 and the upcoming olympic games in augest . B)
I know for a fact that Frederik,Mary and maby Joachim will be atending the
Olympic games in August in Athen Greece.
Also i think that som of the family from Berleburg will be atending becaus Princesse Natalie are in the Danish hose team.
Maby the famliy from Greece will be atending to but i don´t know for shur :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by karolinabraganza@Jan 16th, 2004 - 1:56 pm

this is apicture of the night mary and f met the first time
is there a bigger version?
The picture is not coming up for me... is it possible to post again because I want to see what they looked like when they first met.

Last edited by a moderator:
The picture is not coming up for me... is it possible to post again because I want to see what they looked like when they first met.
oh please post that photo again... i would like to see it too.

i really like the blue cardigan she's wearing at the airport. very casual looking and appropriate. maybe she's been reading on some of our posts and have learnt that she should dress appropriately when landing at the airport, not wearing pre-denmark clothes.

Is it me or does Mary keep wearing some shade of green to formals?

Originally posted by ennyllorac@Jan 28th, 2004 - 8:25 pm
This dress is actually the same dress she wore for her enagement dinner gala. And as far as I remember, this is only the fourth or so formal occasion Mary has attended with the royal family:

1. Engagement dinner
2. Luxembourg state visit x 2 - strapless emerald green dress and black suit
3. Lord of the Rings premiere in Copenhagen (sort of formal)

She also wore green to her sister's wedding in Austrlia.

And her hair is looser too. I like that. For the other formal dinners, her hair was in a bun and while it looked great, it just made her look rather nervous too which clearly showed. But she's more relaxed now. She's smiling more. I'm surprised there's a big event like this already. No time to recover from the jet lag.

This dress is actually the same dress she wore for her enagement dinner gala.

you don't tell me! did she really wear the same outfit on two functions in a short period?

you don't tell me! did she really wear the same outfit on two functions in a short period?

Yep she did. I suppose those gowns costs a lot though and probably take a long time to make. And plus she tried to make it look different - I don't think she took off the wrap.

I like the engagement, but she looked VERY nervous in that... so I'm glad she wore the engagement dress again because at least its sort of erases the engagement image of Mary being nervous.

I think perhaps she favours greens/ beige/ black/ beige-pink.... though I always thought the two green formal dresses were intentional because green is one of Australia's colours (green and gold, though you could never tell from the flag! :lol: )

I am studying fashion so I know that making gowns takes time, but I am still shocked that she would wear the dress again this soon. I highly doubt that she has to pay for them...she is the future Crown Princess of Denmark. It is one of my favorites, but I think that it was somewhat gauche for her to wear it JMO. BTW, I really like Mary, I am not criticizing her for every detail like alot of other royal-watchers. I would not want to be in her position right now. I cannot imagine how much pressure she is under to not only learn a new and somewhat difficult language, but to adapt to being watched constantly and adjust to being compared to people who have longer to adapt to the lifestyle and public criticism.

I actually thought she looked better this time around with her hair down. I think it's a smart move on her part to wear the dress again as it indicates she is frugal. I think this impression is one she should expand on since we are all used to Mary shopping to her hearts content.(Well the impression that has been established over the years)

Isn´t Mary wearing the same dress she wore on the occasion of her engagement dinner? :wacko:

Yes, it is the same dress. I don't have nothing against repet dress, but in so very few time? I belive she can wear other thing. :eek: :eek: :( :(
I just don't understend way she arrive with a fur scarf and change for other. She can wear just the second. But i like more the fur one. :unsure: :flower: :sick: :yuk:

When I went to polfoto.dk on the royalty page, I really thought that those pictures were from the ball on the night after their engagement. It's because Mary is wearing the same dress but she just placed an accessory to make her look different but when I checked the date it was a recent picture. :lol:

Well, she had a new do with her hair on that night which looked good on her. She also wore a pair of nice earrings though. ANd I think there is nothing wrong if she repeated her attire because even Princess Alexandra did it and so with more royals worldwide.

Yes and I thought Alexandra was wearing the same dress as well. Anyway, I don't like the shawl like that. I mean in that manner. Sure, she may be cold but her shoulders are bare. I think she looks great.

Thank you for the pictures Alexandria.

I am surprised that Mary would wear the same gown again so soon as well. However, it is a good step for her as was pointed out by another poster. We all know how much discussion has been discussed and is still being discussed about her shopping habits.

I really liked the fact that she wore her hair down this time; it was a very good look for her. Perhaps she wore the shawl because she was wearing a familiar gown again so soon. Mary may have thought that a difference in her hair style and adding a shawl would perhaps take attentio away from the fact that it is the same dress that she wore soon after engagement announcement. :unsure:

Originally posted by Jacqueline@Jan 29th, 2004 - 11:55 am
Perhaps she wore the shawl because she was wearing a familiar gown again so soon. Mary may have thought that a difference in her hair style and adding a shawl would perhaps take attentio away from the fact that it is the same dress that she wore soon after engagement announcement. :unsure:
Yep, IMO that's the reason why she wore it.

I think she's like that - you see her wearing the same pieces of clothes, but she never wears it the same way. Like the cardigan she wore arriving in Sydney she wore again to the tennis but underneath a jacket; and the top she wore to her sister's hen's night she wore with something underneath which she didn't do the next day when she again wore the same top; or that belly-button bearing outfit to a wedding, she wore the same skirt to the Swedish do (the one with CP.Victoria) but changed the top so it looked very different.... there's heaps of other examples!

I like the engagement dress better this time!!! She looked waay prettier in these pics than during the engagement. Good on ya Mary! :flower: :flower:

I like the fact that the colour of the dress matches Frederik's sash. It's sweet of her to notice and ask for a dress to be made in that colour. I presume it's not a coincidence.

A repeat of a ballgown within the same year? Somehow I would have thought that Mary, being in the spotlight as she is, would have had another made for her. But even though I didn't like the gown that much the first time around, I really like that she thought it was okay to wear it again. It shows that she realizes that there are more important things than having a brand-new outfit for every different occasion. There are some women who you just KNOW would rather die than show up again in last year's Valentino. Mary clearly isn't like that, and that's refreshing.

And she looks much prettier in it this time. The matching teal wrap is lovely, and her loose hairstyle is much more flattering on her than the tight chignon she wore last time. And most importantly, she's so much more at ease now.

I agree with your comments one hundred percent. I too, did not care for the outfit at first, but it looks really good on her the second time around. It seems as if her tactic of wearing the same outfit twice has worked to her advantage. Having been seen at so few functions since her engagement was announced, she would definitely have to know that people would notice the fact that she had worn this outfit just a few months before. So I have to wonder, if this was a carefully planned tactic meant to make people think that she is not a shopaholic and is meant to make her more endearing to the public? Whatever the case, I think it worked will for her.

I agree with your comments completely.
Mary did indeed look better in the green gown with her hair down this time and a lot more relaxed. Also by wearing the same outfit with a few differences ensures that she is seen not as a spendthrift and wasting all the princes money on clothes. I am not sure whether you remember but that is exactly what happened with Mette-Mariet when she first got married.

Wow! She looked so much more relaxed than we've seen her in the past! Her hair looks much better when it's not so severly styled. It's nice to see her smiling in a formal setting.

Juliane

Originally posted by Gabriella@Jan 29th, 2004 - 11:46 pm
I agree with your comments one hundred percent. I too, did not care for the outfit at first, but it looks really good on her the second time around. It seems as if her tactic of wearing the same outfit twice has worked to her advantage. Having been seen at so few functions since her engagement was announced, she would definitely have to know that people would notice the fact that she had worn this outfit just a few months before. So I have to wonder, if this was a carefully planned tactic meant to make people think that she is not a shopaholic and is meant to make her more endearing to the public? Whatever the case, I think it worked will for her.
Oh, I hadn't thought of that! Could it indeed be that Mary intentionally wore a repeat ballgown in order to curry favor with the public? If so, she's more calculated than I'd thought!

But that's okay to me. IMO, based on what I've read about her personality and the fact that she managed to tame one of the most notorious playboys in Europe, she probably does have the ability to plot her moves and plan ahead in a way that many others don't. People may criticize her for it, but I don't think this particular characteristic (if she indeed possesses it) makes her a bad person.

Maybe she did or maybe she didn't calculate it.... the thought occured to me too. But in either case, she's quite good at mix and matching. She's been doing it all along, not just after the engagement.

But I think ultimately, it was because she wanted to wear her engagement gown again... I don't think she had a good time at the proper engagement dinner (she looked too uptight) and she probably wanted to attach more happier memories with the gown so she used it the second time (of course my opinion only :p )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom