Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 9: Sept 2012 - May 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it alarming that you didn't understand it, but it not necessary to understand it.

I don't think at al that people didn't know about female circumcision until Mary brought it up! It's pretty common knowledge amongst people who follow any media at all, since it's been going on for who-knows-how-long. Mary did definitely not bring anything new to public awareness!

If you were so well informed, did you do something about it?

Everyone knows there is poverty in this world or that children are being sexually abused - but unless someone with a high enough profile puts focus on it, the average Joe and Jolene won't get off their backsides and do something about it.

Danish queens and princesses have been directly involved with charity for at least the better part of some 200 years now, so it isn't something they came up with just because of Mary.
In this globalized world she merely has a higher international profile. Both Mette-Marit and Queen Maxima try and put focus on issues on the international stage and sometimes they co-operate.
Anyway, it's up to us Danes to decide whether the monarchy is worth preserving here, so far there is an overwhelming majority in favour, so they must be doing something right.
The monarchy may be abolished here in DK, if so I doubt very much it will be because of Mary.

Anyway, abolishing the monarchies won't make a difference. What is the traditional role of a first lady in any republic worth mentioning? Working for charity, trying to put focus on various issues. - They are rarely just sitting at home knitting, are they?

Charity, whether you are willing to admit it or not is down to PR, down to putting focus on the issue. Otherwise the organisations wouldn't be so busy getting media time, especially around Christmas. No attention, no money, no help to those in need.

It can be illustrated very clearly:
Two persons, twins, go down to a mall here in DK on the same weekday in two different weeks.
Here they stand with leaflets and try to get donations from people. With one difference:
Cause A has been supported by Mary, who have been in the media advocating the issue and who have also went to the area, where people suffer - with TV-crews. Mary is also on the leaflet being handed out, asking for help.
Cause B does not have the support of a royal, or a celebrity for that matter, no high profile TV-exposure, because according to your argument it's not necessary.
Who will get the most donations? A or B?
Which cause will seem most trustworthy to the average Jolene?

Finally. What should in your opinion, Red Tulip, royals, first ladies and celebs do with their lives, if not working for charity? Because according to my interpretation of your arguments, it won't make a difference anyway.

discussion is always good; informed discussion is even better. What I am wondering is: now that the Crown Prince couple have been so busy during the months of October and November, it looks like they have no engagements for December. Could/would this mean that they might take holidays and, if so, would they go to Australia? Another question I have, although it does not belong in this thread so that the mods may do what they wish....but now that the Greek king and queen no longer live in London, will HM Queen Margrethe still go on her annual shopping trip to London? :cool::flowers:

They might. Or perhaps they'll go visit John Donaldson and Susan moody.
But then again, often events involving the DRF are not listed until shortly before they take place.

I'm absolutely certain QMII will go to London again this year. Partly because it's a tradition for her to do her Christmas shopping at Harrods and partly because she's honorary colonel of a British regiment. (I can never remember the name, it used to be called The Buffs). And I understand that she usually drop by the BRF to say hi, while there.

Thank you for your pleasant response! :) - Yes, these presentations create publicity and that creates employment for journos and guys and gals with cameras. That's a good thing, really.

But people who work hard put in long shifts at unpleasant times of the day. I don't think for one second that royals do anything they don't like doing, and they can choose the time for it, I believe.

In the end, Denmark has existed for centuries without Mary and Mary Foundation. Had there not been a Mary foundation there would have been another Foundation, though probably not a Katja Foundation! :)

You're welcome. I was being ironic in some elements of my post as hopefully will be understood to those that read it.

Yes, if Mary hadn't married Frederik, the Mary Foundation would not have existed although another foundation for smiler causes may well have been created at some point by someone somewhere.
But the reality is as it is, Mary married the heir to the Danish throne and amongst other things the Mary Foundation was created. Whether Mary puts every waking hour into it or not is anyones guess, but she seems sufficiently involved in the charity to have helped or played a part in making it quite successful and someone, somewhere decided that her involvement deserved an award, which she accepted.
As I see it, most people think that's great and well deserved. Some people such as your good self have an alternative view.
I hope we can all move on and look forward to Frederik's and Mary's next current event, which I hope will be very soon indeed!

Ten plus years and 4 children later you would think all this stupid nonsense would stop.

Amen and Hallelujah!:flowers::whistling:You know what the problem is? HRH Crown Princess Mary had the temerity to succeed too well at being crown princess when her detractors expected her to fall flat on her face! How dare this "Australian commoner" think that she cound be crown princess and future Queen of Denmark??!!! Never mind that her husband loves and consistently shows his pride in her (when her detractors expected that he would have divorced her by now!); She has become a dedicated and hard-working crown princess (when her detractors thought that she could never become as popular and respected as the ex-Princess Alexandra/Countess of Frederiksborg); She created the Mary Foundation which is doing valuable work in the Danish society; She has given birth to 4 heirs to the Danish throne; The DRF and the Danish people love and respect her!!!

My goodness!!! CP Mary has succeeded beyond everyone's expectations...maybe even her own! And when you are too happy and successful, there are always those people who want to tear you down! It is a sad indictment of human nature, really!!!

Last edited:
Jacknch, I think it will/would take a lot for monarchies like the Danish to come to an end. Should it ever occur, I doubt it would have much to do with what e.g. Mary and Frederik do (unless they do something totally horrible), but rather, it may be a result of social changes that affect all European countries with monarchies.

As for Mary; I think she does as good/bad/neutral job as any other royal in her position.
It is possible they will have a holiday in Oz round Christmas, and that may be the next "major" event for them? Who knows!

Again, thank you for your pleasant manner towards me, just another poster who may have a different view about some issues. :)

The determination of who should receive an award is done by a committee, who presumably make their selections carefully. I did a brief Google search, and it seems this award spans a large area of achievement. CP Mary uses her organizational skills and connections to bring attention to good causes. Remember, she had a successful career as an accounts manager in advertising and real estate before her marriage. She has put those skills to good use, and used them in the promotion of humanitarian work. Wasn't the Mary Foundation funded by money received as wedding gifts?

In the USA, there was a lot of criticism when President Obama received the Nobel Peace Prize when he had barely begun his first term. But it was the decision of the Nobel Committee - they thought he deserved it. He accepted the award and gave the money to charity.

You're welcome. I was being ironic in some elements of my post as hopefully will be understood to those that read it.

Yes, if Mary hadn't married Frederik, the Mary Foundation would not have existed although another foundation for smiler causes may well have been created at some point by someone somewhere.
But the reality is as it is, Mary married the heir to the Danish throne and amongst other things the Mary Foundation was created. Whether Mary puts every waking hour into it or not is anyones guess, but she seems sufficiently involved in the charity to have helped or played a part in making it quite successful and someone, somewhere decided that her involvement deserved an award, which she accepted.
As I see it, most people think that's great and well deserved. Some people such as your good self have an alternative view.
I hope we can all move on and look forward to Frederik's and Mary's next current event, which I hope will be very soon indeed!

perfectly said.
the reality is Mary is in a role where she can bring attention to important issues. and I think she works hard at it.

:flowers:

my favorite pic of the night
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd...._=1427478517_b3991e917843581af780eb002e0936a2

Last edited:
perfectly said.
the reality is Mary is in a role where she can bring attention to important issues. and I think she works hard at it.

:flowers:

my favorite pic of the night
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd...._=1427478517_b3991e917843581af780eb002e0936a2

Thanks Polyesco - I'm not so sure it was perfectly said but I hope it was understood. Mary's role in life is a very privileged one by the very nature of her position as a member of the Danish Royal Family. She cannot realistically change it or give it up or live her life differently to what is expected of her. Of-course, she was very lucky to have met Frederik (as indeed anyone would be!) but meet him she did and Crown Princess she became!
Accordingly, she has to make the best of her position and do what she can to have purpose in life as a royal in the current age. I think she is doing an excellent job.

Several posts have been removed as they contributed little to the discussion.

The mods also request that we please move forward, and not continue going around in circles. If you wish to discuss the merits of royals receiving awards for charity work over "real people", you may create a thread elsewhere or do so via PM.

JessRulz
Danish Forum Moderator

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #47, 2014.
Written by Marianne Singer.

The ambi award Mary recieved in Berlin is made from 18 carats gold and weighs 2.5 kilos.
When walking down the red carpet Mary was very much in focus, the article states clearly how the photographers yelled and danced to get Mary's attention.
After having been presented with her Bambi for charity by the German actor Maria Furtwängler, Mary gave a speech for the 1.000 present in the hall and the estimated four million TV-viewers.

It was Mary's hairdresser Søren Heedegaard who had done her hair for the occasion. She wore a dress by Jesper Høvring, hand laced with pearls and palliettes. Her wristband was in 18 carats white-gold with brilliants by Ole Lynggaard. Her earrings, consisting of five aquamarines (I think it's called) are a present from Frederik.

Our reporter met Bono from U2, who had this to say about Mary: "You Danes understand/know about having royals. Irish have a particular admiration for the Scandinavian royals. Crown Princess Mary has deserved the prize. She's fantastic"!

However Frederik was there as well and Katarina Witt (iceskating diva) had met him before: "I travelled a lot in connection with München 2018/Munic 2018, were we fought to have Germany to host the winter games, which unforunately didn't succeed.
But in that connection I of course was in contact with the Crown Prince, as he is an IOC member and in conversations I tried to persuade him.
Now, I don't know what country he actually ended up voting for and he is most unliely to reveal it either.
But it was in that context I met him at several official events.
I have a good impression of the CP-couple. They are a very happy family and it's nice that they are so popular with you in Denmark".

After the three hour long show had ended many of the guests went to a huge afterparty and here Mary was seen chatting with Maria Furtwängler. And M&F met the publisher Hubert Burda and his wife Maria. The extremely wealthy Hubert Burda is behind the Bambi Award.

Last edited:
:previous:thanks Muhler :flowers:

"Our reporter met Bono from U2, who had this to say about Mary: "You Danish understand/know about having royals. Irish have a particular admiration for the Scandinavian royals. Crown Princess Mary has deserved the prize. She's fantastic"!"

how nice!
I wonder why the Irish have a connection/admiration with the Scandinavian royals?

:previous:thanks Muhler :flowers:

"Our reporter met Bono from U2, who had this to say about Mary: "You Danish understand/know about having royals. Irish have a particular admiration for the Scandinavian royals. Crown Princess Mary has deserved the prize. She's fantastic"!"

how nice!
I wonder why the Irish have a connection/admiration with the Scandinavian royals?

You are welcome. :)

Perhaps he was merely being polite?
AFAIR Bono has been mostly invlved in preserving the rainforests and again AFAIK apart from PH (through WWF) none of the Scandinavian royals have been involved in that.

Mary has often looked very glamorous in the past. But the Bambi Award she looked better than I have ever seen her. Congrats to Soren who did a wonderful job of her hair. Jesper Hovring might do very well from this night.

Ten plus years and 4 children later you would think all this stupid nonsense would stop.
Amen and Hallelujah!:flowers::whistling:You know what the problem is? HRH Crown Princess Mary had the temerity to succeed too well at being crown princess when her detractors expected her to fall flat on her face! How dare this "Australian commoner" think that she cound be crown princess and future Queen of Denmark??!!! Never mind that her husband loves and consistently shows his pride in her (when her detractors expected that he would have divorced her by now!); She has become a dedicated and hard-working crown princess (when her detractors thought that she could never become as popular and respected as the ex-Princess Alexandra/Countess of Frederiksborg); She created the Mary Foundation which is doing valuable work in the Danish society; She has given birth to 4 heirs to the Danish throne; The DRF and the Danish people love and respect her!!!

My goodness!!! CP Mary has succeeded beyond everyone's expectations...maybe even her own! And when you are too happy and successful, there are always those people who want to tear you down! It is a sad indictment of human nature, really!!!

You totally nailed it :flowers:

Thank the Lord, (it's funny enough) seems to come from a foreign group and is something we not and never have seen in Denmark at all. Sadly enough, we see exactly the same with the other 'common princesses', I have sometimes near fall down my chair when reading in particular the nonsense about the Spanish Letizia.

I didn't reached it last week, but I actually would had posted these screenshots of the postings on Facebook about Mary's charity award. It's from our serious news stations as TV2 News and DR News to media so as BT and Billed Bladet. It's some very dignified comments all the way around. I'm not going to translate all of them (others who understand Danish are welcome if they find one particularly interesting) but here is the one of them having received the most ‘likes’ and which actually describes the general thread of the comments pretty well:

“Big congratulations to our Crown Princess Mary, if there is someone who uses her title and position to something good and useful, it's her. From the very day of we saw her I knew she was a cool, clever woman who has an intelligent head and a genuine warmth and interest in making a difference to people. Can only be happy on her behalf. Her mother up there must be proud! Big congratulations to our Crown Princess with the charity award”

Attachments

• BT.jpg
    BT.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 191
  • Tv2 Nyhederne.jpg
    Tv2 Nyhederne.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 279
  • DR.jpg
    DR.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 186
  • Billedbladet.jpg
    Billedbladet.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Those are very nice. I like the one of them together the best. Frederik looks serious, but not stern. Mary needs to wear that dress again, soon. Maybe for the Dutch visit?

I like that they actually look like a prince and princess, and aren't afraid to appear that way. Beautiful pictures.

Last edited:
Didn't they have before with the same dress Mary?

Great pictures,I too love that dress Mary is wearing.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Very nice pictures. I wonder why they didn't release these earlier.

:previous: Yeah, especially since the pics were taken on 8th April 2014.

Taken that far back Wow! I wonder why they weren't released sooner. Anyway could someone tell me please if the background is in their palace or elsewhere?

Taken that far back Wow! I wonder why they weren't released sooner. Anyway could someone tell me please if the background is in their palace or elsewhere?

I'm guessing that is their Palace Tarlita - it looks like the "Garden Hall"/"Tapestry Hall" if you check Google Images.

The "Women's Weekly" has just posted a comment from Carla Zampatti, who designed the dress CP Mary is wearing.

It was created for the 80th Anniversary issue interview, along with dresses from four other Oz designers, and then Carla "gifted" it to CP Mary.

Ms Zampatti is "so proud" to see CP Mary looking "so beautifully regal" in it for the official 2015 portrait.

The report also says, she sees it as a professional highlight - creating the gown - after fifty years as a designer.

Last edited:

:previous:
Im guessing they wanted to leave part of the pictures for the official 2015 pictures, if so I would've hoped for a different gown as you won't be able to tell if it was part of the 10th anniversary pictures or the official pictures.

Princess Mary stuns in heirloom diamond-encrusted tiara as she poses alongside Prince Frederik in newly released photos of royal couple
dailymail.co.uk article

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom