The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #181  
Old 11-14-2014, 08:07 PM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 6,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
i'm sorry but all i can see in this video of the arrival is mary following the cameras with her eyes. even in 0.45 as the chair for the night talks to her and welcomes her and frederik, she seems to be more interested in the people taking pictures of her and in posing for the pictures.
i find it rather inacceptable. i know i will now have the mary lovers jumping to my neck, but it's just so evident and disturbing. this is supposed to be about charity and accomplishments, not about personal alabation.

(...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
No you won't.

It's a question of interpretation I'd say. What I see and not least hear, is the photographers screaming for Mary's attention. - Frederik, not wearing a dress, doesn't get that much attention from the press...
So she's naturally looking at the cameras.
Now if Frederik had just worn his red trousers . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
I read somewhere in German, that they posed very briefly to the press compared to most of the others on the red carpet. I think there was about 200 photographers +tv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
And, judging from the Bunte video, Mary didn't even give a brief interview afterwards like the other recipients did. Hardly a sign of attention-seeking behaviour.

Mary reacted like any other normal person would when being on a red carpet with a large number of photographers shouting out your name. It's natural to follow the cameras with your eyes – that is what the photographers want, it's what the red carpet is for (it must've be quite an upsetting feeling for the photographers if they'd come home with a handful pictures of the attendees looking everywhere else than at then cameras). And she did it gracefully, in my humble opinion . . .

Obviously the attention is on her rather than on Frederik because she is the recipient of the BAMBI and I think it was noticeable how proud Frederik was at her.
I am amazed that unlike the rest of the recipients on the red carpet, at some points Mary seemed a little embarassed. Not so her husband, he positively beamed and kept pointing the press towards her. It was obvious for all to see how proud he was that she had been given such an award. His actions positively screamed "that's my wife"! While Mary looked at little embarassed, Frederik held her hand.

I think Frederik and Mary are both used to the red carpet treatment and that 95% of the time they are the honoured guests, not the main act. But this red carpet appearance really was "all about Mary" and her fellow recipients. And proof that even Princesses get a little rattled, she even had a little trip.
__________________

__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #182  
Old 11-14-2014, 08:23 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bridgetown, Barbados
Posts: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Now if Frederik had just worn his red trousers . . .

I am amazed that unlike the rest of the recipients on the red carpet, at some points Mary seemed a little embarassed. Not so her husband, he positively beamed and kept pointing the press towards her. It was obvious for all to see how proud he was that she had been given such an award. His actions positively screamed "that's my wife"! While Mary looked at little embarassed, Frederik held her hand.

I think Frederik and Mary are both used to the red carpet treatment and that 95% of the time they are the honoured guests, not the main act. But this red carpet appearance really was "all about Mary" and her fellow recipients. And proof that even Princesses get a little rattled, she even had a little trip.
It is so fantastic that CP Frederik is not a man who is threatened by the popularity and the media attention that his wife attracts! CP Mary is very lucky in that respect! I respect CP Frederik even more as it takes a man who is confident in his own self to show such pride in his spouse and support her in her achievements!
__________________

  #183  
Old 11-15-2014, 01:01 AM
redtulip's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
i'm sorry but all i can see in this video of the arrival is mary following the cameras with her eyes. even in 0.45 as the chair for the night talks to her and welcomes her and frederik, she seems to be more interested in the people taking pictures of her and in posing for the pictures.
i find it rather inacceptable. i know i will now have the mary lovers jumping to my neck, but it's just so evident and disturbing. this is supposed to be about charity and accomplishments, not about personal alabation.
Carlota, don't despair! There are people in this world who actually devote their lives to helping others, be it medical staff or someone wanting to help orangutans. Here's a link for the latter:

Orangutan Rescue: British woman jacks in business to devote her life to looking after orangutans in Borneo - Mirror Online

The Aussies and New Zealanders have Fred Hollows foundation; the link is here: https://donate.hollows.org.au/paymen...A0g&stid=b824b

These are just two people who devoted their lives to caring for something extremely precious and valuable. They are the people who receive the accolade. But you will not see these people in their finery walking down red carpets and staring at the camera, because they do what they believe in for their values that reside in their thinking.

I think these amazing human beings would rather put the cost of a fancy frock towards the cause they fight for. And I don't think they would give a monkey's backside (not my expression; sorry) for a Bambi in Berlin, but they would do anything at all for a real bambi in distress.

I thank you for your post!
  #184  
Old 11-15-2014, 04:35 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 9,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Now if Frederik had just worn his red trousers . . .

I am amazed that unlike the rest of the recipients on the red carpet, at some points Mary seemed a little embarassed. Not so her husband, he positively beamed and kept pointing the press towards her. It was obvious for all to see how proud he was that she had been given such an award. His actions positively screamed "that's my wife"! While Mary looked at little embarassed, Frederik held her hand.

I think Frederik and Mary are both used to the red carpet treatment and that 95% of the time they are the honoured guests, not the main act. But this red carpet appearance really was "all about Mary" and her fellow recipients. And proof that even Princesses get a little rattled, she even had a little trip.
Or a kilt...

And that is one of Frederik's most endearing traits. That he is proud of his wife - as any decent husband ought to be. And that he isn't afraid of showing it.

I read an article the other day about a new phenomenon. A DILF, the male variant of a MILF (If you don't know what I'm talking about you can easily find a definition on the Net).
A model-DILF being a devoted husband, a doting dad who isn't afraid to show it. A man who can be both protective and caring, a man who takes care of himself, i.e. stay fit and healthy. A man who can change diapers as well as climb cliff faces.
So according to that definition Frederik must be a DILF and therefore in. The new male role-model. Am I wrong, ladies? (Yes Marg and Polyesco, you may comment...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip View Post
Carlota, don't despair! There are people in this world who actually devote their lives to helping others, be it medical staff or someone wanting to help orangutans. Here's a link for the latter:

Orangutan Rescue: British woman jacks in business to devote her life to looking after orangutans in Borneo - Mirror Online

The Aussies and New Zealanders have Fred Hollows foundation; the link is here: https://donate.hollows.org.au/paymen...A0g&stid=b824b

These are just two people who devoted their lives to caring for something extremely precious and valuable. They are the people who receive the accolade. But you will not see these people in their finery walking down red carpets and staring at the camera, because they do what they believe in for their values that reside in their thinking.

I think these amazing human beings would rather put the cost of a fancy frock towards the cause they fight for. And I don't think they would give a monkey's backside (not my expression; sorry) for a Bambi in Berlin, but they would do anything at all for a real bambi in distress.

I thank you for your post!
That's very true, Red Tulip.

And one of those who did recieve a Bambi, (unless I got my German wrong) was a woman who went to Rwanda at age sixteen to work in charity. That was back in 2000 when Rwanda was very much a mess (and dangerous) after the ethnic massacres there.
Of course others were there as well, but she was the public face and she had personally put a tremendous effort into the charity. But as it's practically impossible to award all who deserve it, the figurehead recieve the award for all of them.
So it is with Mary, so it was with Queen Silvia.
  #185  
Old 11-15-2014, 07:16 AM
Roskilde's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Roskilde, Denmark
Posts: 3,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I am amazed that unlike the rest of the recipients on the red carpet, at some points Mary seemed a little embarassed. Not so her husband, he positively beamed and kept pointing the press towards her. It was obvious for all to see how proud he was that she had been given such an award. His actions positively screamed "that's my wife"! While Mary looked at little embarassed, Frederik held her hand.

I think Frederik and Mary are both used to the red carpet treatment and that 95% of the time they are the honoured guests, not the main act. But this red carpet appearance really was "all about Mary" and her fellow recipients. And proof that even Princesses get a little rattled, she even had a little trip.
Yep. Was there something Mary was that night it was humble and dignified and with focus directed to her projects she works with. Mary and Frederik arrived discreetly and with dignity as the royal members they are. Holding her husband hand our Frederik was so proud of his wife.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...80eb002e0936a2
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...42ab1e05bffe1f
https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/...f0&oe=54D6ECAC
https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/...5a&oe=54EAAB7B

Humble she held a remarkably dignified speech. Spend the entire time to get her messages out, talking about her projects. She thanked on behalf of the people she and her Mary Foundation fighting for. The speech came from the heart of a woman who seems to be 110% dedicated to her work and her causes. And definitely (also written several times by members here) one of the hardest working royals out there. It's okay to get a pat on the back when you do it well. When I saw that comment I first thought it was not worth answering. Just like I think when the exact same remark is thrown after the other royals women. I have learned that Mary is quite spared compared to what other of the royals women has to hear for. But I can feel inside that I really don't think she deserves that comment. And IMO it's (I could be wrong) a typical comment being thrown after someone who doesn't put a foot wrong, but one feel the urge to find just something that could put down the person. I actually hate to write this because I don't think there is anything here there needed to be defended.

Something I always notice about M&F ad such major events - no matter how many people there's around them they are always good at remember to give each other a look or a squeeze. I think they both find needy support in each other at such major events as I believe neither F&M feels comfortable at all when there is too much spotlight.
  #186  
Old 11-15-2014, 07:43 AM
fairy tale's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: B., Germany
Posts: 3,292
No doubt she knew her speech very well, but also there was a teleprompter which helped her and made it unnecessary to look down at her notes.
__________________
Let your heart guide you. It whispers, so listen closely. - The Land Before Time
  #187  
Old 11-15-2014, 03:00 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: san diego, United States
Posts: 6,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Or a kilt...

And that is one of Frederik's most endearing traits. That he is proud of his wife - as any decent husband ought to be. And that he isn't afraid of showing it.

I read an article the other day about a new phenomenon. A DILF, the male variant of a MILF (If you don't know what I'm talking about you can easily find a definition on the Net).
A model-DILF being a devoted husband, a doting dad who isn't afraid to show it. A man who can be both protective and caring, a man who takes care of himself, i.e. stay fit and healthy. A man who can change diapers as well as climb cliff faces.
So according to that definition Frederik must be a DILF and therefore in. The new male role-model. Am I wrong, ladies? (Yes Marg and Polyesco, you may comment...).
Yes I'm pretty sure if you were to look up the definition of a DILF you would find a picture of Frederik
He seems close to all his kids, not just the boys..and according to Marie, changed a lot of diapers.
His actions at the Bambi awards and others just showed how proud and supportive he is of Mary.
An action man that has also grown in his role, making people feel comfortable whether it be kids at sports events or dignitaries at conferences...ok I'll stop now

On another Mary seemed happy but also a little shy , as others have said . But she is the type that just rolls with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roskilde View Post
Yep. Was there something Mary was that night it was humble and dignified and with focus directed to her projects she works with. Mary and Frederik arrived discreetly and with dignity as the royal members they are. Holding her husband hand our Frederik was so proud of his wife.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...80eb002e0936a2
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...42ab1e05bffe1f
https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/...f0&oe=54D6ECAC
https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/...5a&oe=54EAAB7B

Humble she held a remarkably dignified speech. Spend the entire time to get her messages out, talking about her projects. She thanked on behalf of the people she and her Mary Foundation fighting for. The speech came from the heart of a woman who seems to be 110% dedicated to her work and her causes. And definitely (also written several times by members here) one of the hardest working royals out there. It's okay to get a pat on the back when you do it well. When I saw that comment I first thought it was not worth answering. Just like I think when the exact same remark is thrown after the other royals women. I have learned that Mary is quite spared compared to what other of the royals women has to hear for. But I can feel inside that I really don't think she deserves that comment. And IMO it's (I could be wrong) a typical comment being thrown after someone who doesn't put a foot wrong, but one feel the urge to find just something that could put down the person. I actually hate to write this because I don't think there is anything here there needed to be defended.

Something I always notice about M&F ad such major events - no matter how many people there's around them they are always good at remember to give each other a look or a squeeze. I think they both find needy support in each other at such major events as I believe neither F&M feels comfortable at all when there is too much spotlight.
Perfectly said. She put the focus on the issues.
Those pics were lovely. They make a great team, I see Frederik being more shy in these situations but this night he gave Mary all the support .
  #188  
Old 11-16-2014, 01:11 AM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 6,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Or a kilt...
Hmm, a kilt . . . . umm, no! That is one visual that I just can't get my head around, let alone my eyes! Possible skinny bikers knees there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
And that is one of Frederik's most endearing traits. That he is proud of his wife - as any decent husband ought to be. And that he isn't afraid of showing it.

I read an article the other day about a new phenomenon. A DILF, the male variant of a MILF (If you don't know what I'm talking about you can easily find a definition on the Net).
A model-DILF being a devoted husband, a doting dad who isn't afraid to show it. A man who can be both protective and caring, a man who takes care of himself, i.e. stay fit and healthy. A man who can change diapers as well as climb cliff faces.
So according to that definition Frederik must be a DILF and therefore in. The new male role-model. Am I wrong, ladies? (Yes Marg and Polyesco, you may comment...).
Now that is a very deep and exceptionally well researched proposal Muhler. I find myself quite overcome by the beauty and elegance of the best piece of lateral thinking I have seen in many a very long year.

But, upon in-depth consideration I sould have to say that not only does Foxy Fred qualify as a DILF, but he also gave a textbook illustration of some of the important qualities essential to qualify.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
That's very true, Red Tulip.

And one of those who did recieve a Bambi, (unless I got my German wrong) was a woman who went to Rwanda at age sixteen to work in charity. That was back in 2000 when Rwanda was very much a mess (and dangerous) after the ethnic massacres there.
Of course others were there as well, but she was the public face and she had personally put a tremendous effort into the charity. But as it's practically impossible to award all who deserve it, the figurehead recieve the award for all of them.
So it is with Mary, so it was with Queen Silvia.
Right on the nail there. It often takes someone with "connections" to not only get a good idea off the ground, but to keep it's profile in the public eye.

Without "movers and and shakers" there's an awful lot of people terminally "handwringing" or spinning their wheels.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #189  
Old 11-16-2014, 04:58 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 9,277
So that settles it, ladies. The highest authorities on Frederik, Marg & Polyesco, have spoken. Frederik is officially a DILF.

I showed the article to Mrs. Muhler and told her I'm a DILF too. Her response was: "Only with my permission"! I haven't been able to come up with a reply to that one yet.
No matter, the whole thing only confirms what we middleaged men have known all along, we are sexy...

And I believe Fairy Tale is right. Mary used a telepromter. If you notice during her speech, there are times when she looks directly into the camera and focus for a very brief moment.
She's still a very seasoned speaker tough.
  #190  
Old 11-16-2014, 05:33 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 128
Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary, Current Events Part 9: Sept 20...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roskilde View Post
Yep. Was there something Mary was that night it was humble and dignified and with focus directed to her projects she works with. Mary and Frederik arrived discreetly and with dignity as the royal members they are. Holding her husband hand our Frederik was so proud of his wife.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...80eb002e0936a2
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...42ab1e05bffe1f
https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/...f0&oe=54D6ECAC
https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/...5a&oe=54EAAB7B

Humble she held a remarkably dignified speech. Spend the entire time to get her messages out, talking about her projects. She thanked on behalf of the people she and her Mary Foundation fighting for. The speech came from the heart of a woman who seems to be 110% dedicated to her work and her causes. And definitely (also written several times by members here) one of the hardest working royals out there. It's okay to get a pat on the back when you do it well. When I saw that comment I first thought it was not worth answering. Just like I think when the exact same remark is thrown after the other royals women. I have learned that Mary is quite spared compared to what other of the royals women has to hear for. But I can feel inside that I really don't think she deserves that comment. And IMO it's (I could be wrong) a typical comment being thrown after someone who doesn't put a foot wrong, but one feel the urge to find just something that could put down the person. I actually hate to write this because I don't think there is anything here there needed to be defended.

Something I always notice about M&F ad such major events - no matter how many people there's around them they are always good at remember to give each other a look or a squeeze. I think they both find needy support in each other at such major events as I believe neither F&M feels comfortable at all when there is too much spotlight.

Well said! If the argument that there are others who do more that deserve the accolade is true, then you could argue that the work the royals families do in general doesn't need any acknowledgement. In some ways thats true, I believe the royal families are here to represent those in the community that need a strong voice and to speak for them. It is definitely nice when a member of a royal family takes on worthwhile causes, who isn't afraid to speak about the uncomfortable. It is easy to chose the safe subjects, art, sports, fashion, but harder to champion the controversial.
I admire Mary's strength & resolve in these situations. She also reminds woman that you can have a beautiful family and good work ethic, an inspiration for younger woman!


Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community
  #191  
Old 11-16-2014, 05:44 AM
Roskilde's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Roskilde, Denmark
Posts: 3,787
Her&Nu pictures and article:
Mary hyldet i Berlin - Her og Nu

Picture from the BAMBI facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/Bambi/photo...type=1&theater

Gallery of proud husband:
https://www.facebook.com/23522781666...type=1&theater


**

ADDED:

Article by journalist Mette from Royalista
http://royalista.com/blog/royalistam...n-just-beauty/
  #192  
Old 11-16-2014, 04:00 PM
redtulip's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
Well said! If the argument that there are others who do more that deserve the accolade is true, then you could argue that the work the royals families do in general doesn't need any acknowledgement. In some ways thats true, I believe the royal families are here to represent those in the community that need a strong voice and to speak for them. ...
This is true. I see absolutely no point in applauding a royal representing community and speaking for those who need and deserve attention for their problems. What else would these royals do? There is no need to present trophies to those in luxury for doing the least they can do for other people. They are not sacrificing any of their comfort to do so.
  #193  
Old 11-16-2014, 04:21 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 9,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip View Post
This is true. I see absolutely no point in applauding a royal representing community and speaking for those who need and deserve attention for their problems. What else would these royals do? There is no need to present trophies to those in luxury for doing the least they can do for other people. They are not sacrificing any of their comfort to do so.
It can be boiled down to one word: publicity.

If a royal or a celebrity (royals in their very nature carry more "official weight" though) recieve an award on behalf of an organisation or a cause (as in the case with Mary) it gets a lot more attention than if an anonymous relief worker recieve the award. Even though that person may have dedicated her/his life to whatever it is.
Is it fair? No. Then life is unfair. But to the relief worker in question it doesn't really matter. A pad on the shoulder is great, but if that's all it won't save any whales.
A high profile person, like a royal, get a lot more attention, more goodwill, more money, more political weight behind the message, more press.

I'll ask those who follow Mary regularly or just once in a while:
Did you know beforehand that 140 million women worldwide have been circumcised? - I didn't.
Did you know beforehand that every day 8.000 girls are in danger of being circumcised because they live in cultures where that is practized? - I didn't.
What you are going to do with that information, that's up to you. But now you know - because Mary recieved an award.
  #194  
Old 11-16-2014, 05:17 PM
redtulip's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 350
The only problematic issue a royal has brought to my attention were landmines in the late 90's with Diana. I believe she started all these royal visits to problem areas in the world, and there are way too many of those. - I do follow Marry's goings-on, but it is with sincerity that I will attest that she has not added to any of my awareness of those issues. The statics vary somewhat, and that may depend on the source. But female circumcision is a problem widely known in Oz, because we have ethnic communities that insist on continuing the practice, and "educating" has not resulted in bringing an end to it. I understand the problem continues to exist in the US as well, despite campaigns to eradicate it. - I am not saying she shouldn't do it, just that she is no hero in my thinking. She's another royal doing something with her time, and I believe it is done at least to some extent to promote royal PR-programmes. - And yes, life is extremely unfair. In fact, I don't think there's anything fair about it at all.
  #195  
Old 11-16-2014, 05:53 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 128
I'm sorry but I agree with Muhler, Mary has brought attention to issues that people either didn't know about, or didn't want to know about. Diana did do this sort of thing in the 90s with land mines and AIDS.
IMO the royals duty is to preserve the historical and to be a voice for the people. Lets face it, in the history of royalty they spent more time taking from the people then giving to the people. It is there duty to give back.
Here in Australia we have Australian of the Year awards, community awards, state awards for people who make a difference. We are able to see who these selfless people are and make them feel appreciated and hopefully draw attention to a good cause. But in all honesty, can you really say these hardworking people make as much of an impact as someone famous?


Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community
  #196  
Old 11-16-2014, 05:53 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 9,277
Well Redtulip, it's the other way around for me. I didn't need Diana to make me aware of landmines. To this day I still occasionally catch myself in looking for mine-triggers/wires.

Female circumcision is fortunately a criminal offence for all citizens and residents in Denmark and Norway. Also if it's performed abroad.
That has virtually put an end to that barbaric practice here.
If education and information doesn't work, a prison sentence and losing your children usually do the trick.
  #197  
Old 11-16-2014, 05:56 PM
Jacknch's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Suffolk/Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 5,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip View Post
This is true. I see absolutely no point in applauding a royal representing community and speaking for those who need and deserve attention for their problems. What else would these royals do? There is no need to present trophies to those in luxury for doing the least they can do for other people. They are not sacrificing any of their comfort to do so.
I'm not sure what comfort or luxury has to do with ones ability to do charitable work or highlight a good cause and indeed receive an award for it. In all my life, I have never met or heard of anyone doing charity work who has given anything up in their own lives, such as their home, lifestyle etc.
Are you saying that in order to justify recognition for charity work, one must first live in poverty? Shall we all sell up our homes and give up the clothes off our backs and give the whole lot to someone else, only for them to become rich and for us to become poor?
It is a pointless argument anyway as the Mary Foundation is related to bullying, domestic violence and loneliness.
__________________
JACK
  #198  
Old 11-16-2014, 06:15 PM
redtulip's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 350
Numbering in the post is mine, and is there for ease in responding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
1)I'm not sure what comfort or luxury has to do with ones ability to do charitable work or highlight a good cause and indeed receive an award for it.

I did not say it had anything to do with anyone's ability. I'm happy for someone to think that doing one's job deserves an award, but I don't think so.

2)In all my life, I have never met or heard of anyone doing charity work who has given anything up in their own lives, such as their home, lifestyle etc.

Then you didn't read my post on the previous page, where I posted just one person in Britain doing that, and there are many many others doing just that.

3) Are you saying that in order to justify recognition for charity work, one must first live in poverty? Shall we all sell up our homes and give up the clothes off our backs and give the whole lot to someone else, only for them to become rich and for us to become poor?

I said nothing of the sort, and what anyone should choose to do with their property and life is up to them.

4) It is a pointless argument anyway as the Mary Foundation is related to bullying, domestic violence and loneliness.

I don't think so, but you are welcome to your opinion. I welcome any discussion on a discussion board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Well Redtulip, it's the other way around for me. I didn't need Diana to make me aware of landmines. To this day I still occasionally catch myself in looking for mine-triggers/wires.

Female circumcision is fortunately a criminal offence for all citizens and residents in Denmark and Norway. Also if it's performed abroad.
That has virtually put an end to that barbaric practice here.
If education and information doesn't work, a prison sentence and losing your children usually do the trick.
It's also illegal in Oz, but that hasn't stopped it yet. I like to think fewer people are doing it these says, but have no statistics to fall back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
I'm sorry but I agree with Muhler... But in all honesty, can you really say these hardworking people make as much of an impact as someone famous?
It's fine to agree or disagree with anyone.

I wonder what the definition of "impact" is in this context. The fact that someone is photographed and something is written in mags does not equal action taken. There are people around who go and do it without any media exposure. They are the ones with values and integrity.

I can't "honestly" say anything when I don't know what we're referring to. I can say that I honestly think it's something royals think they need to do these days for their purposes, be they what ever. And I totally honestly question the existence of royalty in any country.
  #199  
Old 11-16-2014, 07:01 PM
Jacknch's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Suffolk/Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 5,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip View Post
This is true. I see absolutely no point in applauding a royal representing community and speaking for those who need and deserve attention for their problems. What else would these royals do? There is no need to present trophies to those in luxury for doing the least they can do for other people. They are not sacrificing any of their comfort to do so.
Ok, well let me try again.

There is indeed no point in applauding a royal representing community and speaking for those who need and deserve attention for their problems. Nonetheless, it was rather a nice thing to happen even if it was pointless.

There are indeed plenty of other things royals could do other than charity work.

There is indeed no need to present trophies to those in luxury for doing the least they can do for other people. Those in luxury must surely deserve nothing as they live better lifestyles than everyone else and should therefore have all that they want or need - a trophy would add nothing to what they already have.

Indeed, they are not sacrificing any of their comfort to do so. Nonetheless, I should imagine if CP Mary worked a double shift on the tills at Netto everyday, the Mary Foundation would probably not exist.
__________________
JACK
  #200  
Old 11-16-2014, 07:02 PM
Roskilde's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Roskilde, Denmark
Posts: 3,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip View Post
It's fine to agree or disagree with anyone.

I wonder what the definition of "impact" is in this context. The fact that someone is photographed and something is written in mags does not equal action taken. There are people around who go and do it without any media exposure. They are the ones with values and integrity.
So let me understand you correctly - because the royals receive the media exposure they do they should refrain from doing something good?

What do you want the royals to do then? In this case, Mary - yes she is a royal, and in this respect, she do gets a lot of media exposure as ordinary citizens obviously don't get. But because she gets the attention she shouldn't do any thing good for people who need it? Because it's only citizens who do not get media exposure who can have values and integrity?

It's a very sad attitude IMO. Mary is an intelligent woman, who like you and I, is very well aware that she, because of her role and position can create a lot of attention on cases which lacking of attention - and this is what she do. And why she is a very higly respected public person.

ADDED:

Just one of Mary's many projects 'Free For Bullying' reach all the way home in the Danish living rooms. My children's kindergarten has 'Free For Bullying' as part of their everyday routines.

In fact, the Mary Foundation's 'Free For Bullying' is integrated in more than half all Danish kindergartens, in more than half all Danish schools and in 1/3 of Denmark's leisure clubs.

Moreover, it's integrated in all of Greenland kindergartens. In the spring, it was integrated into Estonian kindergartens. Next year it will be launched in the kindergartens of Iceland.

The campaign has become so widespread because it works, but also because Mary has created lots of attention to it - and a thousand thanks for that - it helps a hell lot of children!
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
frederik and mary, frederik and mary current events, frederik and mary events


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 8: Nov. 2008-Sep. 2012 Empress Current Events Archive 378 09-08-2012 06:48 AM
Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 4: May 2005 - May 2006 Mandy Current Events Archive 402 05-11-2006 03:18 PM
Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 3: Oct. 2004 - May 2005 USCtrojan Current Events Archive 472 05-09-2005 11:34 AM
Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 2: May - October 2004 USCtrojan Current Events Archive 468 10-11-2004 07:43 PM




Popular Tags
albania ascot 2016 best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit birthday child coup d'etat crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion denmark duchess of cambridge duke of cambridge far-right fashion poll infanta elena fashion jewels king abdullah ii king carl gustaf and queen silvia king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand norway november 2016 october 2016 picture of the week picture of the week december prince charles prince joachim prince liam prince oscar princess charlene hats princess marie princess marie daytime outfit princess mary princess mary casual style princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess sofia queen anne-marie queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen margrethe queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania fashion queen silvia sally bedell smith september 2016 state visit succession sweden swedish royal family summer portraits the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats tiara tiaras valentino


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:05 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises