Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 7: Nov. 2007-Nov. 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A very ugly outfit, with far too many different materials and styles going on.

I just still hate the high waisted look. Maybe the outfit wouldn't have been as bad if the pants, shirt and jacket weren't all the same height. If the jacket was worn with a stylish black cocktail dress, I think it would be lovely

Normally, I hate when any royal takes chances when it comes to fashion, I basically like it safe ..

BUT HERE, Oh my god !
She looks like Samantha from Sex and The city ! And that hell is a compliment. The high waisted midnight-blue satin/silk trousers, the black sweater and that gorgeous short black leatherjacket over ! She just looks fun, and stylish, and I can nada but praise her for this outfit. This is what I'll remember January '08 for.

She has started the year really well. First with the grogeous sari gown, then the very politically correct coat/jacket thing, then this and also her new years thing for her patronages.

GO MARY ! ;);)

Frederik looks really good too ! They basically both look happy, and Mary should wear her hair and makeup like this more often ..

Last edited:
Sari gown? Huh?

Some people have began to refer to the [URL="http://troonopvolgers.web-log.nl/troonopvolgers/images/marygalajurkrecycle.jpg"]purple gown[/URL], that she wore to the Romanian State Dinner and again this past New Year's court gala, as the Sari dress (or Saree depending on which spelling one prefers.) While some take offense to using the name, I can understand why others refer to the gown as a Sari.

The material, purchased at the Salamanca market (kind of like the Rose Bowl Flea market here in L.A.) in Tasmania prior to her marriage to Frederik back in 2004, was partially used on the top as well as the top layer of the skirt.

Furthermore, that specific material is used for Hindu wedding ceremonies (sometimes used for other major events) and means a lot to the people who wear them. The significance is pretty important to many while other have absolutely no idea what it means. Are they ignorant? No. But it is wise to be culturally sensitive (including myself... yeah I admit it), and not refer to the gown as a Sari because clearly that's not. [URL="http://www.indiafashion.com/25112.jpg"]This[/URL] is one type of Sari in case you don't know what one looks like.

Personally speaking, the gown is beautiful though I'm not too keen on the cut around the arms.

Hope that helps.:)

Last edited:
The material, purchased at the Salamanca market in Tasmania prior to her marriage to Frederik back in 2004, was partially used on the top as well as the top layer of the skirt.
In the documentary Mary Elizabeth Donaldson there is a short clip of her purchasing the fabric. If anyone is interested it is at the 6:52 minute mark.

YouTube - Mary Elizabeth Donaldson - part 5

the jacket is ugly with her pants.....she just looks weird.....
maybe it'll look better with jeans or sth?

Oh, okay! I thought it was a real sari, but it is just a sari fabric. :rolleyes: Thanks for updating me on that :)

I was quite surprised to see her wearing that....:ohmy:

I'll reserve judgement on the outfit until I see/find larger pictures.

Love the black gloves and clutch, though. Perfection...:wub:

Oi...:neutral: not a very flattering choice of outfit for Mary - makes her look like she's wearing a potato sack

:ermm:Yeah, it's not exactly my taste, but then again I'm not the one wearing it.

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe she has worn this [URL="http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k69/KateGT/Shineycoat.jpg"]shiney coat[/URL] a couple of years ago when she was on a trip to somewhere... Germany I think. Frederik's suit looks good on him despite the fact that the material is velvet... Well hey there, Austin Powers!:D I'm kidding.

Last edited:
I believe she wore the white sari coat during her engagement period in Denmark. she also has a short greenish/grey coat with the same pattern too.

I stand corrected, on another board a user posted an image of Mary wearing this white prada coat in Berlin in 2004. It was the photo I was thinking of. So yup, it was a foriegn trip. Beautiful coat! Now if she would only wear the skirt she wore in London which is also from this collection.

Last edited:
The movie The King and I it´s from 10 years ago!
Am I Wrong?

Please don't stone me but I like it :flowers: I find the outfit very elegant and Mary looks great. Good to see Fred smiling and not half asleep. I have a soft spot for the asian style in general (also like Marys purple sari gown a lot) and it's very appropriate to wear it for this very event.

The movie The King and I it´s from 10 years ago!
Am I Wrong?

I think you mean, Anna and the King, which was filmed in 1999?

The King and I was made in 1956 and starred Deborah Kerr and Yul Brynner.

Oh thank you Madame Royale... but If this movie was made in 1956 why there are a Galla Premier now?

You're welcome, Paty...:)

I believe it was a stage performance at the theatre, and not a movie.

Last edited:
The Sari is fine a bit too big for her maybe, but she looks O.K and the Sari looks very chique!

Hideous outfit! :eek:

I don't like it at all!
To me it looks 20 sizes too big. It looks like Maternity-fashion. It would probably look good on a 8th months pregnant woman.
But on Mary it looks juts shapeless.

Here are a few more pictures showing Mary wearing the shapless Prada-coat
royals.web-log.nl: Royal activities.

Last edited:
I like Mary's coat, but not with those pants!

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the color of the coat on Mary, but the style is not a good one for her. I would have liked it a lot better if it had been a cropped jacket.

I know, that only strengthens my argument that she's pregnant yet again!

Rubbish, you guys! :flowers:

I looove the coat
It's PRADA, no doubt.
Maybe the pants were a little too wide, but other than that, she looks great.

Hmmmm. I'm undecided about that coat. First of all, is it a "coat" or is it an "outfit"? You know, where once she was inside, she took it off and had a nice shirt underneath?
If it is an "outfit", maybe it would have looked better if she had "done" her hair for the evening to make it look a little better.
It's not that it looks bad, its a very nice jacket, but it just needs to be tailored a little closer to her body. Otherwise it makes for a very nice, very dressy house coat!:lol:

In my opinion, Princess Mary looks a lot younger and prettier with shorter hair.The coat is too large for her.She looks alot nicer in more tailored clothes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom