Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 5: May - December 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm absolutely sure that if her daugther wasn't married to a Prince he wouldn't be working in Copenhagen University an he be still living in Austrial!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Of course beeing with her daugther and grandchild is just an excuse!!!!!Life in Denmark should be mucht easier and mucht nmore interesting when we have a son-in-law that would be a King one day!!!!

Last edited:
I'm sure he wouldn't but she is married to a Prince and she is in quite a uique situation so he probaly felt that she needed more family support than his other children who have more established families of their own.

I agree with you Lizy. Before her dad moved to Denmark, Mary did not have any relatives there (as far as I know). I think having her dad close serves as a support system for her.

Biboquinas, I'm not sure that Mary's dad got his job at the university because her daughter will be the future queen. If that were the only reason why he got the job, there would be inmense controversy in the media and I'm sure that the royal family does not want that.

There might have been some preferential treatment but I'm sure the university made sure he had all the qualifications needed. The university would not want any controversy either.

Lizy said:
I'm sure he wouldn't but she is married to a Prince and she is in quite a uique situation so he probaly felt that she needed more family support than his other children who have more established families of their own.

All conspiracy theories aside, I just think it is really nice that they all get to spend time with each other especially Christian with his grandfather. Mary must love having her dad so close. It is great that John Donaldson was in a position to apply for and secure a job in Copenhagen so that he could be near his daughter and her new family, future King or not?

I think that the fact that Mary's dad is living in Denmark just goes to show how wonderful and close knit Mary's family is. It is so hard to be married, especially married to a guy from a foreign country who will be king someday. The fact that she has her dad there is great; I would love to have my parents around me - and I am sure this wouldn;t change after I am married as well. And Fred doesn't seem to mind and Mary's dad does not actively participate in her royal family so by all means its great.

I am suprised... now they have a blue VW Touareg? In October when leaving the hospital after Christian's birth they had a grey-silver one..... howe many cars do they have?

Mary is extremely lucky to have her dad with her. I live on the opposite side of the world to my family and it can be pretty lonely at times. Just as a matter of interest John Donaldson's stay in Denmark is not a permanent stay. In the past four years he has also lectured in Korea and Scotland.

Stellad

And he has lectured in Denmark as well before Mary married Frederik - back in 2002 I think it was.

What will the other 'kids' of John donaldson think...? I would not like it if my only parent would move to the other side of the world to be with my sister.. I sure would not like that, but of course John has the capability to fly to australia as often as he likes.. I think..

Sonnenblumenmäd said:
I am suprised... now they have a blue VW Touareg? In October when leaving the hospital after Christian's birth they had a grey-silver one..... howe many cars do they have?

Maybe they don't have any car at all!Wokswagen just realised that it's a great publicity Frederik driving a wolkswagen so they just give the car to him, that's why he is always changing the cars!

mirrjam said:
What will the other 'kids' of John donaldson think...? I would not like it if my only parent would move to the other side of the world to be with my sister.. I sure would not like that, but of course John has the capability to fly to australia as often as he likes.. I think..

So OF COURSE he has the capability of flying to Denmark as often as he likes!!!!!!I really don't see this with good eyes!I'm pretty sure he likes his daugther but also I'm pretty sure he wants to take some bebefit of it!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
John Donaldson was working outside of Australia long before Mary became Frederik's girlfriend never mind wife.

After the death of Henrietta John Donaldson went to work in Oxford where he met his his second wife the author Susan Moody. Susan apparently has conections to Danmark going back some time including friends and I think her god-father was Danish (can't remember where I read it though).

For several years Susan and John travelled between Korea (where he lectured), Australia (his family) and Oxford (where they both also worked). From 2000 John and Susan seem to be spending time in Danmark as well. I imagine with time John will cut back his work in Korea.

biboquinhas said:
So OF COURSE he has the capability of flying to Denmark as often as he likes!!!!!!I really don't see this with good eyes!I'm pretty sure he likes his daugther but also I'm pretty sure he wants to take some bebefit of it!!!!

Why should he? He is working in a world where academic merits are all that counts. To earn these he needs scientific publications, either by him or the students he teaches. These publications are reviewed by renown collegues from all over the world before they are accepted into print. Where is the benefit that he could gain from his daughter's position? For an university to take on a professor who is not good enough means to endanger their academic reputation. I never read that an academic seriously has questioned why Prof. Donaldson was invited to lecture at Copenhagen university. On the contrary: as soon as an academic has build up a certain reputation, universities are only too happy to get him or her to lecture.
But normally professors of the age of prof. Donaldson don't leave their own university as they do much more than just lecturing: they perform research together with their students and do projects. That's the interesting part of being a professor: the right to research whatever you want to. But this is best done at home, at the univeristy where you have a fixed contract.

So I guess the people responsible for the maths department at the university of Copenhagen were only too glad to hear that Prof. Donaldson would be accepting an invitation. It was their chance to get him - and the loss for the university of Hobart who now have him on their payroll but he isn't there...

I see it the other way round: the fact that Mary Donaldson grew up in the household of a high-class academic who had already proven that he is one of the top scientists of the world (there are not sooo many professors for math worldwide) may have given her the feeling that it is possible to reach the top in her own profession - whatever that would be. As it turned out, she did not became a top business woman but a future first lady. The approach to both positions is the same: you feel confident with what you got in terms of talents and education, you strife to make the best out of it and if there's luck added to the mix, you can succeed.

I agree, if memory serves me correctly also all of John Donaldson's CV was displayed very prominently on Mary's official web page when she was engaged to Fred. It was really long too showing all his academic accomplishments. :) :p

Although she was clearly the center of attention as future princess, there was so much more info about his career imo than hers at the time. :) :p :) I am not saying anything would have been wrong with that, obviously his career would be much longer than hers and have more accomplishments to show at that time too.

Last edited:
Jo of Palatine said:
Why should he? He is working in a world where academic merits are all that counts. To earn these he needs scientific publications, either by him or the students he teaches. These publications are reviewed by renown collegues from all over the world before they are accepted into print. Where is the benefit that he could gain from his daughter's position? For an university to take on a professor who is not good enough means to endanger their academic reputation. I never read that an academic seriously has questioned why Prof. Donaldson was invited to lecture at Copenhagen university. On the contrary: as soon as an academic has build up a certain reputation, universities are only too happy to get him or her to lecture.
But normally professors of the age of prof. Donaldson don't leave their own university as they do much more than just lecturing: they perform research together with their students and do projects. That's the interesting part of being a professor: the right to research whatever you want to. But this is best done at home, at the univeristy where you have a fixed contract.

So I guess the people responsible for the maths department at the university of Copenhagen were only too glad to hear that Prof. Donaldson would be accepting an invitation. It was their chance to get him - and the loss for the university of Hobart who now have him on their payroll but he isn't there...

I see it the other way round: the fact that Mary Donaldson grew up in the household of a high-class academic who had already proven that he is one of the top scientists of the world (there are not sooo many professors for math worldwide) may have given her the feeling that it is possible to reach the top in her own profession - whatever that would be. As it turned out, she did not became a top business woman but a future first lady. The approach to both positions is the same: you feel confident with what you got in terms of talents and education, you strife to make the best out of it and if there's luck added to the mix, you can succeed.
I was going to post on this subject yesterday, but you pretty much said what I was going to say... ;) No serious accademic institution, would hire someone to teach their students/ do research (in such a public manner) if they weren't sure that he/she would be up to par. If they simply wanted to honor John Donaldson because of his daughter - then I'm sure that they could've issued an honorary doctorate or something like that - where the accademic credentials doesn't seem to be the foundation for it. But actually hiring him to research and to teach... he's got to have the credentials.

He's worked in the field of mathematics since before Mary was born, if I recall correctly, and as you mentioned, Jo, this isn't the first time he's worked outside of Australia either.

What his their Agenda for theses days?Does someone know where they going to stay for their summer holidays?Maybe in Australia?Of course princess Mary will not be with her "friend" Amber, that's for sure!!!

As far as I know, July is the month when the Danish Royal Family vacations. We can't know what Mary and Frederick will be doing but maybe some photos of them vacationing will appear.

According to their official website, on August 1st they are back to work.

biboquinhas said:
What his their Agenda for theses days?Does someone know where they going to stay for their summer holidays?Maybe in Australia?Of course princess Mary will not be with her "friend" Amber, that's for sure!!!

I think they will go to Grååsten and be with the family... doesnt they usually appear in public in front of the palace once during the summer? Then we´ll get some photos of them

Does anyone know if they are going to be in Australia?

They were suppose to have an official trip with the little prince but not sure when exactly.

Several posts have been moved to the What is your opinion... thread. Just a reminder that this thread thread was created to keep the current events thread free of similar discussions.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Mandy

Kelly said:
They were suppose to have an official trip with the little prince but not sure when exactly.

Acording to a magazin callede Billedebladet her in Denmark they are going to be at Graastencastel in the beginning of August with the rest of the royal family.
My gues is that they migth be at the Family castel in France :)

biboquinhas said:
Does anyone know if they are going to be in Australia?

A couple of months ago, around the time when F&M opened the Aussie tram that was a present for Christian, one of the magazines here in Aus said that Mary had said they wouldn't be coming out to Australia for at least another year. So maybe at the end of this year they might come, or the start of 2007
I believe a trip was planned for the start of this year, but because of all the terrorist threats over the cartoon in Denmark, it was cancelled because of security reasons

Cortesia: http://www.endi.com/XStatic/endi/template/nota.aspx?n=28749

Translation of the part where speak about Mary:

Mary Donaldson, considered as the future more elegant queen of Europe, visited for the diurnal reception a beige gauze dress with embroiderings jewel in the neck and the skirt. Magnificent slopes of platinum and diamonds with stature knob and a portfolio of silver hand were their complements.

Attachments

• 20060705_vyefas_826818.jpg
    20060705_vyefas_826818.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 226
Last edited by a moderator:
Princess of Monaco said:
Translation of the part where speak about Mary:

Mary Donaldson, considered as the future more elegant queen of Europe, visited for the diurnal reception a beige gauze dress with embroiderings jewel in the neck and the skirt. Magnificent slopes of platinum and diamonds with stature knob and a portfolio of silver hand were their complements.

The last sentence should read "magnificent pendants (earrings) of platinum and diamond with pearl buttons and a silver handbag complemented her ensemble."

biboquinhas said:

Who is Amber? If I read correctly your posting, it seems there is some issue with this person. What happened and who is she?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom