Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 5: May - December 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it is that big of problem to wear white to a wedding, what I didn't understand is why she wore a skirt that looked well,very bridal. But her look at this wedding was based on an outfit by Carolina Herrera.

I love the dress and am glad she wore it again but she wore it to the wrong occasion.

Charlotte1 said:
Camilla's outfit at her daughter's recent wedding was pale mint green, no white, although being so pale it does look like white in some pictures.

Not so...

Underneath the dress coat of her outfit, the Duchess did infact wear a white dress (just below knee length, I think).

"MII"

Last edited by a moderator:
PreDoc said:
I admit that was funny but you have to be fair ... she is under a tremendous amount of pressure as Crown Princess. Hopefully if she produces a "spare" and continues to perform as she has been for the past few years she will become Queen (when Her Majesty departs us) so you should be very reverent.

I try to be fair with Mary but the pressure she has to outproduce her former sister in law Alexandra with another kid does not make that dress any prettier to me, nor the cardigan. ;)
Her mother in law has a great taste for dress and drama like no other Queen. I wonder if she will tell her one day:
Mary, we got to talk before you hit the walk in closet with the lights off...

Mary has a great figure, incredible mane of hair and a million dollar (or Euros) smile. But it's always her public wardrobe mixes we have to work on a little more. :cool:

Now on the issue of color. Is not just wearing white but how is worn, what type of cut you show up at somebody's wedding. From the above pictures, Mary's skirt looks like a converted wedding dress and when you place her side by side with the Bride you have to take a second look to guess who is the one getting married. Camilla's outfit was a dress for a mature woman's second wedding. Camilla did not go to the altar with a room lenght veil and train behind her.

Last edited:
Toledo said:
But it's always her public wardrobe mixes we have to work on a little more. :cool:

Could'nt disagree with you more, Toledo!

"MII"

Margrethe II said:
Not so...

Underneath the dress coat of her outfit, the Duchess did infact wear a white dress (just below knee length, I think).

Source: AFP Images
dda52780.jpg

"MII"

You cannot tell from photographs exactly what colour any outfit was. Various very pale colours photograph as white. As I said before many photos of Camilla at her son's wedding it looks like she's wearing white when infact she wasn't. Seeing it in 'real life' would have been the only way to be positive as to the colour.

Charlotte1 said:
You cannot tell from photographs exactly what colour any outfit was. Various very pale colours photograph as white. As I said before many photos of Camilla at her son's wedding it looks like she's wearing white when infact she wasn't. Seeing it in 'real life' would have been the only way to be positive as to the colour.

Indeed, you cannot always tell but I am most certain the dress is white.http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a81/ryguy19/652adbe5.jpg

"MII"

Yes the dress is white but the overall apparance is GREEN, you can hardly see the white dress. Its hardly the same to wear a white dress hidden under a green kneelength coat and a white ballgown skirt with a train, not that I think its a big deal to wear the white skirt and she certainly did not come cose to outshine the elegant bride.

Larzen said:
Yes the dress is white but the overall apparance is GREEN, you can hardly see the white dress. Its hardly the same to wear a white dress hidden under a green kneelength coat and a white ballgown skirt with a train, not that I think its a big deal to wear the white skirt and she certainly did not come cose to outshine the elegant bride.

The fact of the matter is that the Duchess did infact wear white to another indavidual's wedding and that is what we were talking about. It doesn't matter if it was covered by a kneelength coat, it was still visible.

The ensemble the Crown Princess wore was infact an entire outfit. It was not mix and matched. The way it was seen on Carolina Herrera's runway is the way the Crown Princess got it, I guess.

"MII"

Last edited:
I guess it is a fact of the matter is that Frederik wore white as well then since he wore a white shirt which was clearly visible under his jacket. The Duchess wore Green, her daughters favourite color. Maybe the Duchess wore an intered outift as well, just a couture outfit made especially and not a ready to wear one.

Larzen said:
I guess it is a fact of the matter is that Frederik wore white as well then since he wore a white shirt which was clearly visible under his jacket. The Duchess wore Green, her daughters favourite color. Maybe the Duchess wore an intered outift as well, just a couture outfit made especially and not a ready to wear one.

I guess so then!

As for the design and make of the Duchess' outfit, I guess we really dont know for sure whether it was especially made. Probably, but we dont know.

The Duchess wore white...no if's, no but's, as clear as day and that's what was being discussed, here, in a thread where it does not belong.lol. Oops!

"MII"

Last edited:
did I come on the wrong forum, why are we discussing Camilla's dress to her daughter's wedding on Mary & Fred's thread?

I was confused when I entered this thread too!!:D

haha! Actually I didn't even realize the gigantic photo of Camilla and how far off topic this thread had become until I saw your post :D Thanks

Lamyah said:
did I come on the wrong forum, why are we discussing Camilla's dress to her daughter's wedding on Mary & Fred's thread?

Kelly said:
I was confused when I entered this thread too!!:D

Is not really on the persons but on the detail if a female guest to a wedding should wear white. Or if she should wear, as in this case, a wedding-like dress that gives the impression it upstages the Bride, who is after all the star of the wedding.
Thus, the comparison on what was worn by two Royal ladies who recently attended another person's wedding. :)

Larzen said:

I see it oyster white but it could be the light on the picture. If you say it's green then I assume it's on the same shade as the flowers on her hat. They are with a very light minty green undertone. I also noticed some flowers in her purse do reflect that hard to see green you mentioned.
And I have to add that Camilla has become a very elegant lady, she seems to have a eye for the appropiate wardrobe for her age and body shape. Even with her hats she does not seem to be over the top.

Margrethe II said:
Could'nt disagree with you more, Toledo!

"MII"
Believe me, it hurts me too. Mary has the potential to be a fashion trend setter more than a follower, but when I see some public event pictures of her all I think is "Mary, what where you thinking of? go back and change and start all over again".

I'm sorry, but I can't understand why everyone is so upset. The wedding was a white tie and tails occasion and both the prince and princess looked fabulous. Enough, surely?

Toledo said:
Believe me, it hurts me too. Mary has the potential to be a fashion trend setter more than a follower, but when I see some public event pictures of her all I think is "Mary, what where you thinking of? go back and change and start all over again".

Fair enough.

I dont believe Mary is a trend follower, nor shall she be. If she were, I doubt whether we would be discussing what HRH wore in such depth. It would have been, well...the norm, so in that way, yes, Mary is setting her own standards in fashion already & a standard that has, no doubt, many royal watchers devided and that's a good thing...fashion is also an artform that encourages thought & emotion, which is encouraging to see.

I really admire her daring balance. Her ability to combine formal with something not so formal and still look wonderful is a gift, I think.

And, it may be Carolina Herrera but it must have some quirky Scandinavian influence that either "looks out of place" or just generally, doesn't fit...and I love it!

Some may see me as totally pro Mary to the extent that if I dont like what she's wearing, I shall say I do anyway...not so!

If there is something I generally don't like I'll say it, but this combination worked well..HRH looked wonderful.

"MII"

Last edited:
Toledo said:
I try to be fair with Mary but the pressure she has to outproduce her former sister in law Alexandra with another kid does not make that dress any prettier to me, nor the cardigan. ;)
Her mother in law has a great taste for dress and drama like no other Queen. I wonder if she will tell her one day:
Mary, we got to talk before you hit the walk in closet with the lights off...

Pffttt... I don't think Mary has to "outproduce" anyone. Why debase life by making the birth of a kid seem like its some sort of competition?

Camilla's dress looks exactly like the dress she wore at her own wedding. Which really goes to show: everyone's different. Maxima, Sophia etc have all worn white to someone else's wedding.

I personally wouldn't mistake Mary for the bride. Her cardigan is pink, and with it off, the whole gettup looks nothing like a bridal dress (unless brides wear black tops with green circles or whatever).

I reckon people are only picking on her because they can, and this is the only thing they can come up with.

Ho hum... wish something more interesting was happening.

Jasl said:
Camilla's dress looks exactly like the dress she wore at her own wedding. Which really goes to show: everyone's different. Maxima, Sophia etc have all worn white to someone else's wedding.

I don't know when Maxima or Sophia (Sophie Wessex or Queen Sofia?) have worn white to a wedding, so I won't speak for that. But in Camilla's defence, she wore this outfit to her daughter's wedding. And in some magazine and wedding books I've read, it is acceptable for the mother of the bride to don white (though not head to toe, which Camilla did not) as a symbol of unity with her daughter.

Jasl said:
I reckon people are only picking on her because they can, and this is the only thing they can come up with.

I don't think that this is fair to say. Firstly across this forum there is some "picking on" of all the royals, so the picking on isn't restricted to just Mary. Secondly, guests not wearing white to a wedding so as not to upstage the bride is a known etiquette so it is a legitimate point of discussion, just as Queen Sofia walking ahead of the King was a legitimate point of discussion in the Spanish forum at a point since that is a known protocol that was broken.

We need to respect that all opinons are valid and not sigh " Pffttt...", and that Mary isn't being singled out "just because," or not entirely so in this particular instance. There are times when I think others are singling Mary out for the sake of singling her out in a negative manner, but I don't think that this is the case here.

The problem is, is that we don't have any photos of other guests at the wedding, we have just seen Mary and one or two others but how can we comment fairly when we haven't seen some other pics showing other guests. It could be a white theme of some sort that the bride wants, that could have been specifically stated in the invitation, we don't know.

Last edited:
Jasl said:
Pffttt... I don't think Mary has to "outproduce" anyone. Why debase life by making the birth of a kid seem like its some sort of competition?
I personally wouldn't mistake Mary for the bride. Her cardigan is pink, and with it off, the whole gettup looks nothing like a bridal dress (unless brides wear black tops with green circles or whatever).
Ho hum... wish something more interesting was happening.

I think you misunderstood my coment, maybe because I kind of joke here and there while typing a post just to make it lighter to read. Those who know me, like Larzen or UserDane, know perfectly well I am devoted follower the Cult of Mary (sorry, I can't help being clownish either:rolleyes: ) and in more than once I have come to defend the lady from really vicious people who just hate her guts.

That said, I'll try to put my coments on the dress she wore in a different way so you see I am not picking on Mary: :)
If you have a friend or a relative and you and that person assist to an event, a particular restaurant or any social activity and that person comes out of the house wearing the wrong thing, won't you point it out?
Won't you be a pal and tell him or her:
"...you know, I think that's not the outfit you should wear for that place, let's go back and take a look on what else you have in the closet..." :cool:
Same thing here on the comments about her choice of (a gala) white dress for a friend's wedding but, to top it off, the use of a cardigan over a gala dress. Like wearing a baseball cap with a tuxedo, a business suit with flip flop sandals. We all like Mary but, come on, as I said we can't be blind and not comment on a fashion disaster.

And I don't put all the responsibility on Mary, 50% of it should go to her assistants that are supposed to know ahead of time what outfit to prepare for her selection for this or that activity. And, as Alysa pointed out, ...a nice formal shawl instead of that cardigan...would have made a big diference too.

Last edited:
Did anyone think that Mary didn't intend to wear the cardigan but due to the weather (a little bit cooler than planned) it was just there..in the car?

Norwegian Se og HØr has a new webiste and they have some stories on Mary and Frederik, mostly lifted from other publications

This one is from Ekstrabladet orginally, its from the budget that was recently published and it says Frederik and Mary has 4 million DKr for personal consumption, or 11 000 dkr a day:cool: Ofcourse they blame it on Mary and call her the Nordic Imelda Marcus (dont really know who that is )
http://www.seher.no/cm/SeHer/Kongelige/Danmarks+kongehus/1.44261

they though have a nice photospecial of her, its flash
http://www.seher.no/cm/SeHer/Kongelige/Danmarks+kongehus/1.44261/1.44777

And they have an article about the Bachellor party in stockholm and the Red Hot chili peppar concert
http://www.seher.no/cm/SeHer/Kongelige/Danmarks+kongehus/1.29156

another from the bachellor party
http://www.seher.no/cm/SeHer/Kongelige/Danmarks+kongehus/1.26380

One about Marys stylist Anja falling in love with one of Frederik and Marys bodyguards and the bodyguard had to be reasigned elsewhere
http://www.seher.no/cm/SeHer/Kongelige/Danmarks+kongehus/1.3461

A popularity contest from BT originally. Most popular is Margrethe followed by Frederik, Alexandra and Mary, with Joachim comming last
http://www.seher.no/cm/SeHer/Kongelige/Danmarks+kongehus/1.301

Mary at the childrens fashionfair in the beginning of the year
http://www.seher.no/cm/SeHer/Kongelige/Danmarks+kongehus/1.907

And an article from the christening
http://www.seher.no/cm/SeHer/Kongelige/Danmarks+kongehus/1.462

Larzen said:
Norwegian Se og HØr has a new webiste and they have some stories on Mary and Frederik, mostly lifted from other publications

This one is from Ekstrabladet orginally, its from the budget that was recently published and it says Frederik and Mary has 4 million DKr for personal consumption, or 11 000 dkr a day:cool: Ofcourse they blame it on Mary and call her the Nordic Imelda Marcus (dont really know who that is )
http://www.seher.no/cm/SeHer/Kongelige/Danmarks+kongehus/1.44261

Larzen, Imelda Marcos was the wife of a president of The Philippines, famous for spending the money of her husband and of the country in all kinds of luxuries especially in her immense collection of shoes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imelda_Marcos

Denmark's Crown Princess Mary leans out of a tram before taking the driver's seat Tuesday May 23, 2005 in Skjoldenaesholm, Denmark. Crown Prince Frederik and the Australian born Crown Princess Mary test drove on Tuesday a vintage tram that the Australian state of Victoria gave as a Christening gift to the couple's son, Prince Christian.
Polfoto

Last edited:
thanks for the photos, love the detail on marys jacket and the splash of purple looks good on her. why doesn't PF get his clothes fitted? those jacket sleeves are way to long and in one picture it looks like purple velvet!! please tell me he doesn't have another purple velvet suit, remember the one he wore to the sailors event OMG

I certainly hope that he has a purple velvet suit - or any other colour!:D I just love some colour on men's otherwise boring clothes (colourwise).

http://www.bt.dk/royalt/

video link the event from bt.dk royalty page

he's got a lilac suit if my memory isn't too scarred (lol) to remember correctly. he wore it to a sailors memorial event. this coat looks purple in some photos brown in others, sleeves too long no matter what the color. can't decide if i like the wide pink stripes, i do/ i don't can't decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom