Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 3: Oct. 2004 - May 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really can't give any reason for this, but in Denmark it is fine for women to wear a hat in church, but not for men. If you watch the video from the wedding you can see, that Frederik and Joachim both simultaneously took off their hat when entering the church.

Last edited:
Hats

"It is acceptable for women to wear hats in Christian churches, (it was once required, but the custom has all but disappeared) but disrespectful for men to wear them."
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/Clothes%20Articles/etiquette_for_hats_and_caps.htm

I remember (yes I am older than dirt) when hats were required in all services, especially Catholic. If you didn't wear one, someone handed you bobby pins and a hankie to fasten to your hair.:lol

Today, the only hats I see in a church crowd are the african american churches, who do a beautiful job of dressing for their services. Sadly, my own religion has gone to extreme dressing down, to the point that the priest reminds people that the revealing t-shirts and short shorts are not welcomed.

Last edited:
The ladies of the British royal family always wear hats in church during formal occasions; it's customary for men to be bare-headed in Anglican churches but for women to have their heads covered. Like a lot of things, the custom is becoming more relaxed, but the royal family follows the traditional standards.

Gaia said:
"It is acceptable for women to wear hats in Christian churches, (it was once required, but the custom has all but disappeared) but disrespectful for men to wear them."

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/Clothes%20Articles/etiquette_for_hats_and_caps.htm

I remember (yes I am older than dirt) when hats were required in all services, especially Catholic. If you didn't wear one, someone handed you bobby pins and a hankie to fasten to your hair.:lol

Today, the only hats I see in a church crowd are the african american churches, who do a beautiful job of dressing for their services. Sadly, my own religion has gone to extreme dressing down, to the point that the priest reminds people that the revealing t-shirts and short shorts are not welcomed.
hehe yes I remeber my grandmother saying it wasn't very respectful for women to have their heads bare in church. To this day I prefer to wear hats or veil in church. Because I was raised Catholic (and proper) I still follow the old customs to this day when visiting the church. I wear a dress or skirt & blouse with jacket sometimes trousers (but not in front of grandmother) in black with a black "matilla" (lace veil like the spanish royals) & gloves. Now because I live in the tropics & the rules are so very relaxed nowadays I only wear gloves at very special ocassion mass like christmas eve & easter. Those are really the only times I go to Catholic mass anyway, because of my family traditions. The rest of the time I do not attend Catholic church because I am no longer a Catholic. Out of respect for my family I do attend on these ocassions & I give the same respects to heads of Catholic church as my family does. Meaning I curtsy to the Pope & kiss rings etc.

Do only spanish ladies get to wear mantillas. Those are absolutely gorgeous

I read in a horoscope (by a well respected psychic) that Mary will insist that she and her husband spend part of each year in Australia and the other half in Denmark.

I dont believe in psychics but this woman is always right somehow- she said there would definately be a change in residence for them and that mary would most probably get her way.

Australian said:
I read in a horoscope (by a well respected psychic) that Mary ... and her husband spend part of each year in Australia and the other half in Denmark.
I will believe that, when I see that. ;)

I don't think that would be possible. Frederik is the future king of Demnark. Mary was not a part of royalty or government in Australia. It's important for Frederik be in Denmark a majority of the time to do his duties and as a future queen consort herself, Mary has duties of her own within Denmark. Visits back to her home country would be permissable, I think, but semi-permanent residency is impossible.

hm...doubt that would ever happen...Mary is not needed in Australia as much as she is in Denmark so it isn't really necessary for her to stay in Australia half the year...

and what the heck would they do with themselves out here? I can't see the Danish public particularly wanting to keep paying a substantial annual sum for a royal couple that only cuts ribbons half the year.

Psychics... pfffttt! If they only spend their time helping others instead of trying to guess what celebrities/royals are up to.

"I predict that Frederik and Mary's daughter will be the most beautiful princess and she will have dark-brown/black hair with gorgeous blue eyes!" Pfft indeed! (though it would be good if they have a daughter).

Jasl said:
Psychics... pfffttt! If they only spend their time helping others instead of trying to guess what celebrities/royals are up to.

"I predict that Frederik and Mary's daughter will be the most beautiful princess and she will have dark-brown/black hair with gorgeous blue eyes!" Pfft indeed! (though it would be good if they have a daughter).
I do love what you are predicting ther Jasl *LOL*

Napoleon said:
and what the heck would they do with themselves out here? I can't see the Danish public particularly wanting to keep paying a substantial annual sum for a royal couple that only cuts ribbons half the year.
I kind of agree with this comment. Do they do anything of real substance? COuld this be highlighted? Also does CP Frederick still do that awards thing with CP Felipe?

Australian said:
I read in a horoscope (by a well respected psychic) that Mary will insist that she and her husband spend part of each year in Australia and the other half in Denmark.

I dont believe in psychics but this woman is always right somehow- she said there would definately be a change in residence for them and that mary would most probably get her way.
I don't think it would be possible - Crown Prince Fredrik is the future Head of State and King of Denmark, he needs to be in the country performing duties and official engagements, and "ruling" when Queen Margrethe is not at home. And Crown Princess Mary needs to focus on learning as much as possible about Denmark as a country and its people.

A vacation home in Australia would be okay, but nothing more. This is at least how I think and feel.

Jasl said:
Lol, google slap away!

But now I'm so totally confused. So Catholics are supposed to wear hats to church? Well I don't see a lot of that (I don't remember ever seeing it in the masses I've attended.. not that I've been paying particularly close attention to people's headgear... veils maybe, but not hats).
I have been Catholic all of my life and women are encouraged to wear head coverings in Church. Where I live most churches have gotten out of the practice. However, many of the Protestant women still wear hats to church. Our priest and nuns have been trying unsuccessfully to get the women of our parish to start wearing veils or hats again. I am not sure what the norm is for Catholic parishes in other countries, but there was a time in our church's history when women never set foot inside of the church without a hat or veil.

I know that someone remarked that they believed that it wasn't the practice to wear hats during solemn ceremonies. This is another difference where I live. On the rare ocassions in which we see women wearing hats or veils it is usually during a funeral service.

I think it varies with country to country. In my country (the Philippines), it's deemed disrespectful to have a head covering other than a veil or mantilla while inside the church. Hats for both genders are a no-no.

Please let's get back to the topic of discussing Frederik and Mary. If you wish to discuss the hat-wearing issue any further, please do so in the chit chat forum. Thanks for your co-operation.

Mandy

Mandy said:
Please let's get back to the topic of discussing Frederik and Mary. If you wish to discuss the hat-wearing issue any further, please do so in the chit chat forum. Thanks for your co-operation.

Mandy
the new australian vogue is dedicated to

mary AND frederik,

she is on the cover and there is a big article, interview with her, pictures of her alone and

with frederik.

if only I knew how to put it on this website I would

I think it is the December-issue you are talking about. These pics are already posted :)

royal_sophietje said:
I think it is the December-issue you are talking about. These pics are already posted :)
thank you (did not look at the month:rolleyes: )

royal_sophietje said:
received an email from a member of TRF to go buy it and send it to denmark because they are all sold out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have started a thread in the Chit Chat Forum for all those who wish to discuss wearing head dresses in church. I have also transferred the last post by susanstotz to that thread.
Here is the link: Wearing a Hat/Mantilla in Church Have Fun!

Mandy said:
I have started a thread in the Chit Chat Forum for all those who wish to discuss wearing head dresses in church. I have also transferred the last post by susanstotz to that thread.
Here is the link: Wearing a Hat/Mantilla in Church Have Fun!
oh thank you, just what I wanted a thread of my own. you can tell they do not make you a super moderator for nothing....

Looking at the church service and Red Cross pictures, I wish Frederik would use a handkerchief!

Oh, and I really liked Mary's outfit, hat, makeup. She looked lovely!

ap3 said:
Looking at the church service and Red Cross pictures, I wish Frederik would use a handkerchief!

Oh, and I really liked Mary's outfit, hat, makeup. She looked lovely!
his cheek was itching, you do not really think he can not blow his own nose....

I'm sure he can blow his nose. I just wish he would use a handkerchief rather than his hand!

And he's not scratching his cheek.

The Crown Princely couple are honorary guests at the DR P3 Guld-Prisern

Attachments

• DR P3 Guld-priserne.jpg
    DR P3 Guld-priserne.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 332
Alisa said:
The Crown Princely couple are honorary guests at the DR P3 Guld-Prisern
Thanks for the news and the picture Alisa.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom