The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 05:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Exactly. I think most of the events he attends with Alexandra are in the evenings.
I like Alexandra's new hairstyle. It emphasizes her slender neck.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubies View Post
What does Martin do for a living? sorry if this has already been asked but I couldn't find it.
He works for JJ Film, owned by Martin's father, Jacob J鴕gensen, JJ Films produced 'The Wild Swans' in which QMII designed the costume and sets. She also appears in one scene in the movie. The DRF attended the premiere Sept. 13, 2009. This link from JJFilm has a video clip showing QMII working.
De Vilde Svaner

If you check the info about staff, everyone else has an e-mail contact info except for Martin:
Martin J鴕gensen - JJ Film

I didn't realize the Martin's father was knighted with in 2000.
http://www.jjfilm.dk/en/jj_film/staff/jacob_joergensen/

Old 09-30-2009, 04:50 PM
Administrator

All posts about Countess Alexandra's book presentation at
the Nyboder School in Copenhagen have been moved to the
following thread:
Countess Alexandra as Patron of the Animal Foundation
Old 10-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

BB has an article saying that Alexandra attended the Breast Cancer Campaign on Sunday
Article in english ** original article
Old 10-28-2009, 06:36 PM
Administrator

All posts from today about the holidays of Countess Alexandra with
her sons have been deleted as the contained links have already been
posted at the Princes' thread yesterday. Please take a look at that thread:
** Prince Nikolai, Prince Felix and Prince Henrik **

Iceflower
Danish Forum Moderator
Old 10-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Royal Highness

I love her short hairstyle. Not many people can carry it off well.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:11 PM
Nobility
Royal Blogger

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but I've just come across an article about an interview Alexandra apparently gave in HK last month:
文雅丽_百度百科
It's about her experience of living in N. Europe compared to HK, in particular how absolutely freezing it was for her arriving in Denmark in winter; she said 女王对我说,这年冷得有些特别,她以为我会卷起铺盖回香港/The Queen said to me that this year the cold (eurgh, it's hard to translate from Chinese into natural-sounding English when you're thinking in Chinese...) was somewhat particular and she'd half expected Alexandra to pack her bags and run for HK When she visited Uganda, her first time back in the Southern Hemisphere, she felt like she'd returned back to Hong Kong - at last no need to wear a huge thick coat or surround herself with heating units.

On the day of her wedding, Queen Margrethe said to her, "From today onwards, you are Danish". The article then goes on to say that she surprised even the Queen with her quick ability to learn languages and to adapt to a new (cultural) environment. However, despite being multi-lingual herself, she said that since her parents generally spoke to her in English and not Cantonese, she chose to speak to her own children in Danish so that they could first master that tongue.

The Countess also says that she really admires her parents and that she has learnt a lot from her mother in particular about adapting to a new country, about it's never too late to make new friends. One problem she had in her own opinion was that when she first came she was not suited to the role of a royal wife, but she says she soon found her place once she realised that you must simultaneously get close to the people while retaining the aura of mystery; for example, it wouldn't be done to be seen queuing to buy things. However she does emphasise that whilst it is the oldest royal family, the Danish royal household is still very modern, which she believes is one of the reasons for its popularity.

Oh and it appears she's being very Chinese and overly modest about her Cantonese; since this is written in Chinese and was held in HK, the author is obviously Chinese and they actually say that she can speak Cantonese (as well as German, French and English...they've strangely missed off Danish...) "有着1/4中国血统的文雅丽是土生土长的香港女孩,能说英语、德语、法语和广东话" Well, either that or the author is also being typically Chinese and very polite about her Chinese - some people will actually compliment you profusely if you say lei hou, or hello, and nothing else

Apologies if that sounds somewhat Chinglishy...

"Not everyone who chased the zebra caught it, but he who caught it, chased it" - South African proverb
Old 10-31-2009, 06:14 PM
Courtier

Thanks for the interesting read alex001! Very appreciated! It will be interesting to see how much media attention will be paid to the official visit of Prince Joachim and Princess Marie (Prince Henrik will go along too) to Hong Kong next month and whether there will be any comparisons between that visit and when Joachim and Alexandra visited Hong Kong as a royal couple!

We'll just have to wait and see!
Old 11-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Nobility
Royal Blogger

You're welcome Terri Terri!

There's an article here about how the "otherwise hard-working Countess" has spent more than double the amount of days she spends working for her patronages on holiday and that she has become "invisible".

TV 2 Vip - Alexandras fede driverliv

There's another one here about how Alexandra, who got a 'debt-free house' off of Prince Joachim, has 'borrowed 2.5 million (dkk) on the house'. It's not known why, but Ekstra Bladet reckons a good deal of it went on her new holiday home in the Danish jet-set enclave of Alanya, Turkey. Alexandra and Martin refused to comment on the story and the Director of Totalkredit said "I didn't even know that she had been a customer of ours. It must be one of our cooperating financial institutions that have made the loan. So she stays with us treated exactly like everyone else"

Ekstra Bladet - Alex l錸er millioner

"Not everyone who chased the zebra caught it, but he who caught it, chased it" - South African proverb
Old 11-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

You mean she mortgaged the house she got in her divorce settlement to buy a vacation house ?
I wonder if there was any clause in the divorce papers about this or she is free to do as she pleases with the house.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
here's an article here about how the "otherwise hard-working Countess" has spent more than double the amount of days she spends working for her patronages on holiday and that she has become "invisible".
Well...that's obvious and it was expected. She will still be famous as the mother of 2 princes to the throne of Denmark. She will never be a truly private person. But she no longer has the profile as a member of the royal family. Plus, CP Mary and Princess Marie are on the scene and they are attracting most of the media attention.

Quote:
I wonder if there was any clause in the divorce papers about this or she is free to do as she pleases with the house.
The house belongs to Alexandra. She can do what ever she wants with it...even sell it! Its up to her and Martin to pay back the debt!
Ekstra Bladet talks about her luxury living...but unlike members of the royal family...Alexandra has to pay taxes on her annuity. She also has to pay VAT (which is refunded to the royal family).
She chose the life she has now...and appears to be very happy with it. Whatever her financial decisions, they are hers to make.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:53 AM
Serene Highness

I only agree half with you.
The house is hers and what she does with it, is really nobody's business.

But she got the annuity from the state for her on-going work. So, it's actually the taxpayers' business how much she works. She chose the life she has now - but the taxpayers have to pay for it (even though she is paying taxes herself now). All in all it's a very strange situation: the Danes paying for Joachim's ex-wife who actually admitted that the decision to divorce was hers.

I do not agree with EB that she is invisible though. She is still much seen at society events and in gossip mags, just not that much at work.
But it might be that Danish organisations are just no longer interested to have her - with Mary and Marie around.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:00 AM
Courtier

I take your point!

Maybe EB is saying that she is "invisible" in relation to how much work she does for her charities in public? We don't know how much work she does behind the scenes.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:12 AM
Nobility
Royal Blogger

There's a story in Her og Nu about how Alexandra has "lost to Mary and Marie" and has benn put "out in the cold". If this is about her profile compared to that of Mary and Marie, to be honest I don't think anyone really expects/ed her to be as high-profile as they are in terms of charity work etc...
http://www.herognu.com/upload/her-og...7/hn47s001.jpg

Old 11-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree with you, Alex001. It sounds to me as if this tabloid wants to stir up some drama where drama isn't necessarily present.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Courtier

It is public knowledge that for whatever reason (s) Alexandra and Joachim decided to end their marriage. She first lived with, then married Martin. As part of the settlement, she received a grand house and other monies. Actually, the house had been purchased before public announcements were made regarding the sad state of the marriage (TRF has threads on all of this).

Now that Joachim has started a new life, with a new wife, new child, it is a little late for making remarks that Alexandra has been put to one side and that the other two princesses get more attention in the press, etc., despite Alexandra's merits. It is a very natural thing to happen.

If this is coming from the tabloids, it is a fairly pathetic way to stir up circulation. If it is coming from Alexandra, it is unrealistic that she expects the same treatment as when she was a royal.

To their credit, Joachim, Marie, Alexandra and Martin get along, try to share events with the children involved, and are respectful of each other. It is admirable that they do so. Hopefully, this will continue through the years.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Just tabloid fodder. Alexandra has herself a Gorgeous! husband, two beautiful children, a pretty great and well paid job, plus a nice house and alimony. It seems like Alexandra has moved on from her Princess life and has settled quite nicely into her new life.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Courtier

Gorgeous is in the eyes of the beholder - In my opinion, Joachim cuts a better figure and is far more elegant.

Be that as it may, it is important to accept the consequences of any serious action in one's life, especially something like divorce, particularly when young children are involved.

Alexandra is a savvy business woman. She is very capable of working and leading a successful, fulfilling life outside of the royal enclosure.

Just a point regarding the purchase of the house in Turkey if the house in Copenhagen was used for collateral. In the unlikely event that Martin and Alexandra default on that mortgage, surely the queen or Joachim, or both, would come to the rescue, not permitting the two boys to be without a home (or roof over their heads) in Denmark. I wonder if Joachim could then gain custody of his sons.

Using the primary home (which she didn't buy herself, and was given to her as part of a divorce settlement - a divorce which she may have initiated) as collateral for a second home in an exclusive location is a pretty astute move.

If Martin comes from a wealthy family, shouldn't he have provided the second home, seeing as he didn't provide the primary home?

Please advise me if I am wrong.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rylt11 View Post
If Martin comes from a wealthy family, shouldn't he have provided the second home, seeing as he didn't provide the primary home? Please advise me if I am wrong.
I have no knowledge of the financial situation of Martins' family, but.. not even the local tabloids have suggested that Martin and his family were "wealthy"! They are most likely "comfortably off", but I for one doubt that Martin J鴕gensen is able to fork out for a luxurious holiday home in Turkey "just like that". .

Viv
Old 11-25-2009, 12:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Very smart move on Alexandra's part. If there is another divorce in the future she will most likely keep both properties if the financial arrangements are handled correctly. I doubt she would jeopardize the settlement she recieved by co-mingling funds.

Closed Thread

Tags
alexandra, alexandra manley, countess alexandra, countess of frederiksborg, martin j鴕gensen, princess alexandra