The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

I wonder why Hereditary prince Karl is not interested in the romanian Succession.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I don't know the feelings of Romanian people towards him, but I don't think he has any chance to become King of Romania, and maybe this can explain why he is not interested in the Romanian succession.
I mean, if Romania became again a Monarchy it's more likely that the new King will be among King Michael's descendants (maybe Michael himself, but I don't think) than among some distant German relatives.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Karl is not indifferent to Romania and he criticised a lot Radu Duda these years.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Karl Friedrich's critics towards Radu were all regarding the use of Hohenzollern surname and title by Radu, and this has nothing to do with Romania.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Karl Friedrich de Hohenzollern:
Old 09-16-2010, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

death of Fürst Friedrich Wilhelm

Fürst Friedrich Wilhelm the Head of the princely line of Hohenzollern died last night at the age of 86. He had already since a few yearts health-problems.

suedkurier.de | Fürst Friedrich Wilhelm ist tot

Royal Travel and Events

Old 09-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Heir Apparent

This question shows how little I know about things royal and princely in Germany, but I'm going to ask it anyway. Furst Friedrich Wilhelm was the Head of the princely line of Hohenzollern. Prinz Georg Frederich of Prussia is the Head of the House of Hohenzollern according to this website: Preussen.de - Prinz Georg Friedrich von Preussen

Could someone please explain this to me. How closely would these two men have been related and what is the difference in their respective positions? I know that Prinz Georg Frederich is the descendant of Kaiser Wilhelm II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Fürst Friedrich Wilhelm the Head of the princely line of Hohenzollern died last night at the age of 86. He had already since a few yearts health-problems.

suedkurier.de | Fürst Friedrich Wilhelm ist tot
Old 09-17-2010, 03:58 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The two Houses descend from Friedrich I, Burgrave of Nuremberg and Count of Zollern; at his death in 1205 his eldest son Friedrich II inherited both the titles, but in 1518 he renounced to the Burgraviate of Nuremberg in favour of his younger brother Konrad. The Royal House of Prussia descends from Konrad, while the Princely House of Hohenzollern(-Sigmaringen) descends from Friedrich.

I'm not sure Georg Friedrich can be called Head of the House of Hohenzollern; he surely is the Head of the Royal House of Prussia, which is completely separated from the Princely House of Hohenzollern; I guess that the Head of the branch descending from the eldest son of Friedrich I (= Karl Friedrich, Prince of Hohenzollern) should be the Head of the entire House of Hohenzollern.

Btw, Georg Friedrich and Karl Friedrich are Heads of two different Houses.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

MAfan, could you tell me if it is right that one House is catholic and the other lutherian ?
Old 09-17-2010, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
MAfan, could you tell me if it is right that one House is catholic and the other lutherian ?
Yes that's right. The prussian line is protestant and the Hohenzollern-Sigmarignen line is catholic.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 09-17-2010, 11:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you for your kind explanation Mafan. It is much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
The Royal House of Prussia descends from Konrad, while the Princely House of Hohenzollern(-Sigmaringen) descends from Friedrich.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

You're most welcome!

I have a question about the style of the Fürst of Hohenzollern; according to Paul Theroff's genealogy of Hohenzollern(-Sigmaringen) Family the members of that House are Serene Highnesses, and it doesn't specify different styles for the Head of the Princely Family.
But in the biographies of some Princes of Hohenzollern in Wikipedia, it says that Fürst Karl Anton (1811-1885) since 1850 bore the style of Highness and since 1861 of Royal Highness; that Fürst Wilhelm (1864-1927) became Highness when succeeded to his father as Fürst of Hohenzollern in 1905, and in 1910 he became Royal Highness; that Wilhelm's successors all became Highnesses when succeeded as Heads of the Princely Family.

So, my questions are: what is the proper style for the Fürst of Hohenzollern? And why two of them at a point became Royal Highnesses?
Old 09-18-2010, 10:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

A murit ASR Principele Friedrich Wihelm de Hohenzollern | Blogul Monarhist
Old 09-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Now I'm REALLY confused. So the Fürst of Hohenzollern is also heir to the throne of Romania? I thought that King Michael's descendants would be heir to the throne, because Michael's abdication was forced and therefore not legitimate. Or is the Google translation a bad one?

Old 09-19-2010, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The 1923 Romaniam Constitution (the last constitution approved while Romania was still a Kingdom) settled the succession "from male to male in order of primogeniture and with the perpetual exclusion of women and their descendants"; this means that, according to that provision, the successor to King Michael will be the Fürst of Hohenzollern (who btw has declared not to be interested in the Romanian succession).
This was until 2007, when King Michael changed the succession rules, allowing women to succeed to the throne and excluding the Hohenzollern relatives from the succession; so his heir is his eldest daughter Margarita.
The problem is that some think that being Michael a constitutional monarch he can't change the succession law (previously contained in the Constitution), because only the Parliament can amend the Constitution; thus, according to this theory, the succession is still following the 1923 provisions.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Only the parliament can change the laws of succession in Romania and HM King Mihai I wished that in his family document.Theoretically now HRH Prince Karl is Heir to the romanian Throne.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Heir Apparent

How closely related are the Furst of Hohenzollern and King Michael? This is fascinating stuff. I've recently become more interested in this (very) extended family since reading a profile of Prinz Georg Friederich in MAJESTY. Before this, all I really knew of these connections was the WWI Kaiser's connection to Queen Victoria. Now I'm learning more about these branches thanks to the kind responses here. Thank you.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:45 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

King Michael and the late Fürst Friedrich Wilhelm of Hohenzollern were second cousins, being both great-grandchildren of Fürst Leopold and Fürstin Antonia of Hohenzollern.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Fürst Leopold von Hohenzollern > Fürst Wilhelm > Fürst Friedrich > Fürst Friedrich Wilhelm
Fürst Leopold von Hohenzollern > Ferdinand, King of Romania > Carol, King of Romania > Michael, King of Romania
Old 09-20-2010, 07:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you, Warren and Mafan. Second cousins are fairly close relations in the grand scheme of things.

Tags
brandenburg, funeral, german royalty, germany, hohenzollern, house of hohenzollern, prussia, wedding