Princess Alexandrine of Prussia (1915-1980) (dau of Crown Prince Wilhelm)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlieee

Commoner
City
Yorkshire
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any information about Princess Alexandrine of Prussia (1915-1980)?
I know she was the daughter of Crown Prince Wilhelm of Prussia and that she had Downs Syndrome.
I'm interested to find out how her family reacted to her having a learning disability, as I know during that period people with disabilities were often placed in institutions out of public eye:sad:
I've read online that Alexandrine was institutionalised at some point and there aren't many photos of her taken after she was 20.
It would be interesting to find out more as the only royal I know of that was born with a disability was Prince John of the United Kingdom.

Attachments

• alexprussia1915-5.jpg
    alexprussia1915-5.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 7,741
  • alex of prussia, mother and sister.jpg
    alex of prussia, mother and sister.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 3,049
Hello :)
I've heard that the family used to act very normal with her. I've got some old books from WWI-time, with pictures of her (and other childrens of the family) inside. You see from the 'young baby'-pics that she had Downs Syndrome, but her mother helds her normal and very proud. The family did send her to a school which cared about the development of disabled children with sports and art and so on.
The picture you show is from her confirmation in 1934.
I don't know if it's okay but I show a link to a postcards seller with some pictures. Please delete if not allowed! :)
Historische-Ansichtskarten-Adel-03
Very lovely is the one in which her brother is holding her on the lap.
If you understand german you can find information about her here: Preussen.de - Alexandrine
I have somewhere several pics of Alexandrine. She seemed to be a sweet little girl and a nice adult.

I'd read somewhere that after the Crown princess died, Alexandrias siblings had her put into an institution, which I thought was rather sad.

Last edited by a moderator:
How did she survive the Nazis?

How did she survive the Nazis?
I believe that her previous visibility coupled with being an integrated and much loved member of her family who had the means to care for her privately instead of putting her in an institution saved her life. Most adults who were killed during Aktion T4 were institutionalised and were deported and killed before their families had time to react. The children on the other hand were either living in institutions or lived at home with their families who in many cases were forced or tricked into handing over their offspring to the authorities.

Last edited:
Probably helped that her mother only died after the war. She was still pretty lucky.

Did her father ever see the disconnect between supporting the Nazis and their policies against people exactly like his beloved child?

Back
Top Bottom