Princely House of Hohenzollern

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, surprise.
Was she the reason for the divorce?

Congratulations.

Father Karl-Heinz Berger is Roman Catholic who serves several congregations in Sigmaringen.

I suppose the bride is protestant and the reliogious blessing was given by a protestant priest, am I right?

Karl-Friedrich and Alexandra were separated for several years.

What a surprise! I bet this explains why he divorced from his first wife less than six months ago.
Btw, congratulations to them!

Karl-Friedrich and Alexandra were separated for several years.

Yeah but there's a difference between divorce and seperated. If he in the time he was seperated, he found this woman, that's why he asked for a divorce six months ago.

Father Karl-Heinz Berger is Roman Catholic who serves several congregations in Sigmaringen.

It's catholicism different in Germany from Italy, where I live, or it's different just for princes? A catholic blessing for remarried divorcees sounds very new and incoherent to me!

Maybe there was an annulment? Or maybe it's just that some priests don't follow the rules too closely?

Countess Alexandra zu Castell-Rudenhausen is Georg Friedrich's aunt, the wife of his uncle Count Rupert, isn't she?

The divorce would have been in the works for some time.

Yeah but there's a difference between divorce and seperated. If he in the time he was seperated, he found this woman, that's why he asked for a divorce six months ago.

Countess Alexandra zu Castell-Rudenhausen is Georg Friedrich's aunt, the wife of his uncle Count Rupert, isn't she?

I think she is, at least Rupert is married to a woman called Alexandra (née von Unger). Not sure when they got married, I guess around 2004/05 (?). Actually he was already married to a woman called Alexandra before (née Baroness of Werthern), does someone know when they divorced?

Countess Alexandra seems to be a good friend of either the groom or the bride because she was one of the witnesses to the marriage.

I read the wikipedia articel about Karl and was quite suprised that he was divorced, had a relationship to a teacher, and married Katharina this month. :confused:
I thought, what? Did I missed anything? Yes :)

Congratulations!

Are the Sigmaringens senior to the Imperial (Brandenburg) Hohenzollerns, and thus, is the head of the house of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen the head of the entire house of Hohenzollern?

Which line is senior is something of an unknown but it's generally accepted that the Swabian branch (the Princely Hohenzollerns) is senior.
The two sons of Count Friedrich III of Zollern (died < 1204) divided the possessions of their father and mother; Konrad, possibly the younger, taking the Burggravate of Nuremberg and becoming the ancestor of the Protestant Royal House of Prussia and Friedrich IV retaining the county of Zollern in Swabia and becoming the ancestor of the Catholic Princely line.

The House Order of Hohenzollern was instituted by the Princely branches of Hechingen and Sigmaringen and later adopted by the Prussian branch.

The Head of the Imperial and Royal House of Hohenzollern is Prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia; the Head of the Princely House of Hohenzollern is Prince Friedrich Wilhelm of Hohenzollern. I don't think either claims to be the "Head of the Hohenzollerns".

So, if there is no evidence that Friedrich IV was the elder son of Friedrich III, why his descendants name their branch senior? Why the fact that he inherited the most important family title of Zollern does not prove he was elder?

I think, that if members of the Swabian branch use the titles of Princes and Princesses of Hohenzollern is sign of their seniority over the Prussian Hohenzollerns. The house's name is Hohenzollern and its head uses the title of Prince of Hohenzollern, it makes sense...

Yes, as I said "it's generally accepted that the Swabian branch (the Princely Hohenzollerns) is senior."

I wonder why Hereditary prince Karl is not interested in the romanian Succession.

I don't know the feelings of Romanian people towards him, but I don't think he has any chance to become King of Romania, and maybe this can explain why he is not interested in the Romanian succession.
I mean, if Romania became again a Monarchy it's more likely that the new King will be among King Michael's descendants (maybe Michael himself, but I don't think) than among some distant German relatives.

Prince Karl is not indifferent to Romania and he criticised a lot Radu Duda these years.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Karl Friedrich's critics towards Radu were all regarding the use of Hohenzollern surname and title by Radu, and this has nothing to do with Romania.

The two Houses descend from Friedrich I, Burgrave of Nuremberg and Count of Zollern; at his death in 1205 his eldest son Friedrich II inherited both the titles, but in 1518 he renounced to the Burgraviate of Nuremberg in favour of his younger brother Konrad. The Royal House of Prussia descends from Konrad, while the Princely House of Hohenzollern(-Sigmaringen) descends from Friedrich.

I'm not sure Georg Friedrich can be called Head of the House of Hohenzollern; he surely is the Head of the Royal House of Prussia, which is completely separated from the Princely House of Hohenzollern; I guess that the Head of the branch descending from the eldest son of Friedrich I (= Karl Friedrich, Prince of Hohenzollern) should be the Head of the entire House of Hohenzollern.

Btw, Georg Friedrich and Karl Friedrich are Heads of two different Houses.

MAfan, could you tell me if it is right that one House is catholic and the other lutherian ?

MAfan, could you tell me if it is right that one House is catholic and the other lutherian ?

Yes that's right. The prussian line is protestant and the Hohenzollern-Sigmarignen line is catholic.

Thank you for your kind explanation Mafan. It is much appreciated. :flowers:

The Royal House of Prussia descends from Konrad, while the Princely House of Hohenzollern(-Sigmaringen) descends from Friedrich.

:previous:
You're most welcome!

I have a question about the style of the Fürst of Hohenzollern; according to Paul Theroff's genealogy of Hohenzollern(-Sigmaringen) Family the members of that House are Serene Highnesses, and it doesn't specify different styles for the Head of the Princely Family.
But in the biographies of some Princes of Hohenzollern in Wikipedia, it says that Fürst Karl Anton (1811-1885) since 1850 bore the style of Highness and since 1861 of Royal Highness; that Fürst Wilhelm (1864-1927) became Highness when succeeded to his father as Fürst of Hohenzollern in 1905, and in 1910 he became Royal Highness; that Wilhelm's successors all became Highnesses when succeeded as Heads of the Princely Family.

So, my questions are: what is the proper style for the Fürst of Hohenzollern? And why two of them at a point became Royal Highnesses?

Back
Top Bottom