The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > Royal Families of Germany and Austria > The Royal and Princely Houses of Hohenzollern

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #161  
Old 04-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 320
What does Wummehof mean?
Also, it does not look like a big house. How on earth did Louis Ferdinand raise 7 children there?
__________________

__________________
  #162  
Old 04-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Seraphine's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North, Germany
Posts: 432
Wümme is a river in Germany next to Bremen and "hof" means farm or farmhouse.

The house looks small from the frontside, but it's large from the side ( know what I mean ??). You just see a small part of the house on the picture. there is also another small house on the estate ( a gatehouse / house for staff).
__________________

__________________
  #163  
Old 04-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 320
When the family settled at Wummehof in 1945 was it just the family or did they bring staff and servants? Were they able to secure many of their personal items from their homes in West Prussia, Silesia, and Brandenburg?
__________________
  #164  
Old 04-08-2010, 01:50 AM
Saschana's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Somewhere, Germany
Posts: 352
I would really like to know why they are selling Wümmehof In another article I read that the only comments Prince Christian wants to make are "No comment" and when answering the question if he would stay in Bremen anyway "I won't say anything, I'll just get in trouble", whatever that means...

Like Seraphine said maybe they really need money. I mean every member of the family still gets a small apanage even if, according to some sources, it isn't enough to live just from the apanage. But what are they making money with? I think the only significant property (in the way significant that they can make money with it) is Burg Hohenzollern and I guess that it is more like a +/- 0-business in the end because it is very expensive to pay all the costs for the maintenannce and the employees. There is a reason why a lot of German royal familys started a trust which their properties belong to.
Another reason could be that they (whoever that is ) think that they don't need Wümmehof anymore. According to the articles the only ones who are still living there are Christian and his wife and according to the TAZ they are the only ones that still live near Bremen. A couple of years ago the staff that manages the properties moved from Wümmehof to Berlin.

I just hope that it won't be too hard for Prince Christian to move out because he spend almost his whole life there
__________________
  #165  
Old 04-08-2010, 02:07 AM
Saschana's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Somewhere, Germany
Posts: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold View Post
Were they able to secure many of their personal items from their homes in West Prussia, Silesia, and Brandenburg?
I don't how much they were able to secure after 1945 but all their belongings were already split up after 1918 between the House of Preußen and the then German state. I just know a little about the art and if I remember correctly that there was a museum in Schloss Monbijou (the castle belonged to the state while the art that was presented still belonged to the Hohenzollern). During WW2 most of the things were evacuated but some of it was destroyed anyway and other parts went to the Soviet Union. Some of it got back to museum in the former GDR and now belongs to the Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz (Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation) which belongs to 25% to the German states of Berlin and Brandenburg and 75% to the German state.
Most of the things that are still owned by the family are lend to museums and castles owned by the state. Additionally there are touring exhibitions and I've once heard that the family wants to open a Hohenzollern Museum.
__________________
  #166  
Old 04-08-2010, 02:42 AM
Seraphine's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North, Germany
Posts: 432
The TAZ article is here: Adel: Bremen ohne Prinz - taz.de

Taz is a german daily newspaper, which is politically rather left orientated ( anti monarchie, anti kapitalism, pro socialism).

(If someone wants a full translation, ask me)

The article is written ironically and not Pro Georg Friedrich. ( They don't like him, because he is young, royal, and not the first in ther heritage line - for them Mesalliance don't exist, because they don't "believe" in royal stuff like equal marriage)( for them an heritage should be divided in equal parts and a big part of taxes to the state )

They also write, that
1) all stuff is in Berlin now
2) only the two live there and the house is quite big ( a little too bit big for two person - could be a resaon for Georg to say "leave", but doe to the fact that Christian didn't say " we move alternatively to city XYZ, it looks like a hard kick out)
3) Georg was head of the house but not boss until his 30 th birthday. Until his 30 th birthday Prince Christian was responsible for Prussian / Hohenzollern business and I guess also for money. I am dead sure that Georg always had to ASK, although he is the head ( so he had more duty than rights the first 12 years of headship. Now this could be a little revenge ???? ).The Taz doesn't write that exactly, but they make insinuations.

No one knows where they go and Christian seems to be banned to speak ( what worries me somehow)

Georgie, what is going on ??? May be we'll never know what disturbed the family peace ( I guess the same rumors and arguments, injuries etc like in every family....)

I think he needs a nice wife ( with money ) :)))))
__________________
  #167  
Old 04-08-2010, 03:02 AM
Stefan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Esslingen, Germany
Posts: 2,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saschana View Post
I don't how much they were able to secure after 1945 but all their belongings were already split up after 1918 between the House of Preußen and the then German state. I just know a little about the art and if I remember correctly that there was a museum in Schloss Monbijou (the castle belonged to the state while the art that was presented still belonged to the Hohenzollern). During WW2 most of the things were evacuated but some of it was destroyed anyway and other parts went to the Soviet Union. Some of it got back to museum in the former GDR and now belongs to the Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz (Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation) which belongs to 25% to the German states of Berlin and Brandenburg and 75% to the German state.
Most of the things that are still owned by the family are lend to museums and castles owned by the state. Additionally there are touring exhibitions and I've once heard that the family wants to open a Hohenzollern Museum.
But until 1945 the still owned Cecilienhof Castle in Potsdam and Oels Castle in Silesia which Crown prince Wilhelm and his Family used as their Reisdencees. And they also Huis Doorn where a lot of Artworks still are.
__________________
Stefan

Royal Travel and Events

  #168  
Old 04-08-2010, 03:48 AM
Saschana's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Somewhere, Germany
Posts: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
But until 1945 the still owned Cecilienhof Castle in Potsdam and Oels Castle in Silesia which Crown prince Wilhelm and his Family used as their Reisdencees. And they also Huis Doorn where a lot of Artworks still are.
Oh yeah, that's true Didn't mean to implicate that they lost all their castles after 1918, they lost most of the real famous ones like the Berliner Stadtschloss, Sanssouci and Charlottenburg but they also kept lesser knowns like Schloss Rheinsberg (100km from Berlin) and also Schloss Lindstedt, I think. But of course lost them after 1945. Is there actually a castle (apart from Burg Hohenzollern) that belongs to the family (or belonged) in (after 1945) West-Germany?
__________________
  #169  
Old 04-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 320
If I recall correctly, Louis Ferdinand built a house in Berlin called Villa Monbijou after the war so that the family would have a presence there. Does the family still own it? Anyone have any pictures?

If I recall correctly, the agreement between Prussia and the Hohenzollern family after the end of the monarchy granted the Crown Prince and Princess the right to live in Schloss Cecilienhof in Potsdam and in the Altes Schloss* in Berlin for the rest of their lives. Since the Crown Prince and Crown Princess are both dead, I don't think the currently Hohenzollerns have any claim on any of their former palaces in Potsdam and Berlin, do they? But I seem to recall that part of the family's business office is housed in one of the palaces in Potsdam. Is this correct?



*or was it the Crown Prince's Palace?
__________________
  #170  
Old 04-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Saschana's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Somewhere, Germany
Posts: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold View Post
If I recall correctly, Louis Ferdinand built a house in Berlin called Villa Monbijou after the war so that the family would have a presence there. Does the family still own it?
I don't know who is the owner of Villa Mombijou is, it's either Prince Georg himself or Prince Friedrich Wilhelm but the later one lived or still lives there. A few years back there was a inheritance dispute about the furniture, art etc inside the villa, pretty sure it wasn't about the villa itself. It was all part of the big dispute who is the rightful heir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold View Post
Since the Crown Prince and Crown Princess are both dead, I don't think the currently Hohenzollerns have any claim on any of their former palaces in Potsdam and Berlin, do they?
No, all the castles/properties are owned by the Foundation Palaces and Parks of Berlin and Brandenburg. They either became property of the state after WWI or WWII.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold View Post
But I seem to recall that part of the family's business office is housed in one of the palaces in Potsdam. Is this correct?
I had a look at the contact address on their homepage and it says Tristanstraße, which is in Berlin-Zehlendorf, one of the richest parts near Wannsee but I don't think there is a palace there . While the Foundation Palaces and Parks of Berlin and Brandenburg is situated in Potsdam but I can't find anywhere if they are housed in a palace.
__________________
  #171  
Old 04-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saschana View Post
I don't know who is the owner of Villa Mombijou is ...
Is it big or small? Modern or traditional?
__________________
  #172  
Old 04-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Saschana's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Somewhere, Germany
Posts: 352
Well... There isn't a lot to find out about Villa Monbijou but according to this article it has ten rooms. It was build in 1962, couldn't find a picture.
__________________
  #173  
Old 04-10-2010, 03:30 AM
Seraphine's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North, Germany
Posts: 432
I accidentially found out where Georg Friedrich works:

engage AG : unternehmen : Team

Text: Georg Friedrich Prinz von Preussen studied economics at the university of Freiberg with focus on Business Informatics and innovation management.Since 1994 her is the head of the family business with registered office in Berlin. He worked for the "Prince of Castell bank" ( his mother was born Castell-Rhüdenhasuen), the Grünenthal limited corp. in Ecuador and afterwards he worked for Maecenata Management GmbH, where he did some management in the department for consultation and administration of foundation, associations and non commercial limited corporations. Now he works as Venture Manager for engage AG in Karlsruhe ( in south west Germany not so far away from Hechingen ( look it up on Google maps)).

So he seems to live in Karlsruhe now and not in Berlin anymore, which means that he commuting between Berlin ( where Prussian/ Hohenzollern management is) and Karsruhe and Hechingen and at least Oldenburg, where his mother lives and Lübeck, where his sister lives. Now I can understand, why he sells Wümmehof....too much chaos...no one can keep the focus on all that 100 %.
__________________
  #174  
Old 04-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Seraphine's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North, Germany
Posts: 432
Not sure if it was mentioned before, but here is an article about Georg Friedrich's sister and her health. It's in french ( glad I learned it at school :) )

Le prince Georg Friedrich de Prusse évoque sa soeur Cornélie-Cécile | Noblesse & Royautés
__________________
  #175  
Old 04-20-2010, 10:40 PM
Alice the goddess's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 86
Where do the Prussian royals live.. im new here and dont know much about this family.. i thought Prussia was a country that doesnt exist anymore...
__________________
  #176  
Old 04-21-2010, 07:16 AM
Saschana's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Somewhere, Germany
Posts: 352
Indeed Prussia (today parts of Germany, Poland, Russia, Lithuania, Danmark, Belgium, Netherlands & Czech Republik) doesn't exist anymore to be exact it doesn't exist anymore since the abolishment of monarchy in Germany after WWI. The Prussian Kings were also German emperors since 1871. The are originally from Swabia (Southern Germany) so they still own parts of a castle there but afaik nobody lives there.
Instead they all live all over Germany, quite some of them in or around Berlin, after WWII the family of Louis Ferdinand went to live near Bremen but they are now selling the Wümmehof (the house they lived in) and it seems like not a lot of people are living in Bremen anymore. The head of the house seems to live (or at least work) in Karlsruhe.
__________________
  #177  
Old 05-03-2010, 12:22 AM
Next Star's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: ******, United States
Posts: 872
The prince is a likeable guy and cute as well.He has the power to change the house rules being he is the head of it I don't think he wants to get away from traditon. He is pressured to marry a woman of royal or noble birth there is no exception has been mention by other members in this forum and supply a couple of children one would be heir and the others are there for security puropses.
__________________
Patience is a virtue.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
  #178  
Old 05-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA, United States
Posts: 148
Georg Friedrich has various legal bills due to the lawsuits from Onkel Friedrich Wilhelm. Christian Sigismund has known for some time that Wummehof would be sold. The appanage was limited to Louis Ferdinand's surviving children, but when Friedrich Wilhelm and Michael sued, they apparently lost their allowance (although, under German law, they received something from their father's estate.) Louis Ferdinand's surviving sons have done nothing to find work on their own - and establish their own income. They were enabled by dad, but the party was over when Georg Friedrich inherited.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saschana View Post
I would really like to know why they are selling Wümmehof In another article I read that the only comments Prince Christian wants to make are "No comment" and when answering the question if he would stay in Bremen anyway "I won't say anything, I'll just get in trouble", whatever that means...

Like Seraphine said maybe they really need money. I mean every member of the family still gets a small apanage even if, according to some sources, it isn't enough to live just from the apanage. But what are they making money with? I think the only significant property (in the way significant that they can make money with it) is Burg Hohenzollern and I guess that it is more like a +/- 0-business in the end because it is very expensive to pay all the costs for the maintenannce and the employees. There is a reason why a lot of German royal familys started a trust which their properties belong to.
Another reason could be that they (whoever that is ) think that they don't need Wümmehof anymore. According to the articles the only ones who are still living there are Christian and his wife and according to the TAZ they are the only ones that still live near Bremen. A couple of years ago the staff that manages the properties moved from Wümmehof to Berlin.

I just hope that it won't be too hard for Prince Christian to move out because he spend almost his whole life there
__________________
  #179  
Old 05-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Seraphine's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North, Germany
Posts: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarleneKoenig View Post
Georg Friedrich has various legal bills due to the lawsuits from Onkel Friedrich Wilhelm. Christian Sigismund has known for some time that Wummehof would be sold. The appanage was limited to Louis Ferdinand's surviving children, but when Friedrich Wilhelm and Michael sued, they apparently lost their allowance (although, under German law, they received something from their father's estate.) Louis Ferdinand's surviving sons have done nothing to find work on their own - and establish their own income. They were enabled by dad, but the party was over when Georg Friedrich inherited.
Georg has still bills due to all this lawsuits ???? How much is it ? When will this conflict ever end ? ???
Poor Georg. It guess it is not easy for him to be the boss.

They all say, he has a lot of money, but it doesn't seem so. It rather looks like being the boss means a lot of work and abdication than power and wealthy living....
__________________
  #180  
Old 05-13-2010, 05:32 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: LA, American Samoa
Posts: 3
This is all for because an Imperial Highness ranked ahead of a Royal Highness simply because an emperor ranked above a king. In some monarchies, specifically Russia and Austria, imperial issue also used titles higher than prince grand duke and archduke, respectively. I think the problem with many people is that they believe that if you fall you should stay down. Royals don't believe the same.
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Prince of Asturias Awards 2011 lula King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia and Family 75 07-08-2013 01:21 PM
Prince Moulay Rachid Current Events: December 2003 -June 2013 Asma2 Royal Family of Morocco 392 06-10-2013 03:24 PM
Fashion and Style of Royal Men, Part 1: April 2003 - USCtrojan Royal House of Fashion 162 11-26-2012 11:25 AM
Prince Felipe & Princess Letizia of Spain's Visit to Jordan; April 12-14, 2011 dazzling Royal House of Jordan 74 12-18-2011 10:16 AM
Official visit of Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall: April 4-6, 2011 shrifia Royal Family of Morocco 54 12-07-2011 09:33 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events duchess of cambridge engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jewellery jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility official visit olympic games ottoman president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess mabel princess margriet princess mary princess mary fashion queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:44 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]