Prince Georg Friedrich (1976- ) Head of the Royal House of Prussia (2003-Aug 2011)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a hard question indeed...
You are sort of correct but not completely correct. Wilhelm II's will was written after he had left the throne. The idea was to protect the fortune from the tax man. Many former ruling families, including Leiningen and Hohenzollern (princely) set up family trusts in the 1920s. There are similar examples with Sayn-Wittgenstein and Hannover (Ernst August's son is now running the estates). Wilhelm's will was very specific - the heir and the next heir had to marry equally. The Crown Prince was excluded as he would be largely bypassed for the main inheritance - and before 1945, the family owned a lot of property in the east - and his eldest son Wilhelm's marriage was unequal. Thus the heir to the estate was the second of the Crown Prince's son -Louis Ferdinand. He married equally. The next heir (nach erbe) also had to marry equally in order to inherit. The nach erbe was the young Louis Ferdinand, but he died before his father, so GF became the nach erbe.
All the Kaiser's descendants were parties to the case although the case only affected Louis Ferdinand's children and grandson, who was the primary heir. In the 1960s, the two eldest sons, Friedrich Wilhelm and Michael married commoners and ceased to be dynasts. These marriages ended in divorce and both remarried. Their second marriages were irrelevant because both had already lost their positions. They knew this -- but neither of these men ever worked, ever had a career. Louis Ferdinand provided his sons and daughters with homes and with allowances. When Louis Ferdinand died in 1991, GF became the head of the house. He was a minor at the time. He would not come into his full inheritance until age 30. One of his Castell Rudenhausen uncles and Prince Christian Sigismund were the adminstrators although LF was very smart, and the C-R uncle was the real "Guardian" and Christian Sigismund was the admin on paper. His marriage was equal.
Each of LF's surviving children received a percentage of the estate. None were excluded under German law, but GF was the primary heir. Friedrich Wilhelm and Michael wanted more, and tried to claim that their second marriages were equal. For nearly 30 years they knew they had no claim - but they thought they could do something to get more money. It took several court rulings, but the final decision was in GF's favor. But the court cases cost a lot of money. Unlike other former ruling families, the Prussians don't have any of their palaces in Berlin and Potsdam. Georg Friedrich does not have a family seat. He has had to put up for sale the properties that Louis Ferdinand bought for his kids, where the lived largely rent free. Georg Friedrich cannot afford to maintain such appanages. He was raised by his mother, away from the other Prussians. He's well off, and, in time, one hopes that the estate will again grow.

There are no house laws on marriage. Wilhelm II was a private German citizen when he made his will. No child can be excluded but a person who makes a will, according to final ruling, can put in qualifications. This as the same for the Leiningens and, of course, the late Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berlenburg. Prince Gustav cannot marry Carina Axelsson because of his grandfather's will. If he marries her, he loses every thing.
As for Prince Georg Friedrich - he came into his full inheritance at age 30. For some families, the age is 35 (which is the age set in the trust set up in the 1920s for the princely family of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the marriage problem is solved now :whistling::D

Donata suffered a lot of stress during her second pregnancy due to the premature death of her husband. Cornelie Cecile is mentally handicapped.
Cerebral palsy? Poor woman!

But can a stress experienced during pregnancy be an explanation to this illness?
Many women, while being pregnant lost their husbands, often in a tragic way, and their posthumous children are completely healthy.:ermm:
Good example is Ethel Skakel Kennedy; she was three months pregnant when she saw with her own eyes her husband falling from a gunshot - and her daughter Rory is not only completely healthy, but also a very capable and intelligent woman.

In case of Cornelie, it were probably perinatal asphyxia, I suppose.:ermm:

I do not believe Cornelie Cecile has cerebal palsy, which is largely a physical. Cornelie-Cecile is mentally handicapped -- the word used to be "retarded," due to the retardation of the brain.

In one engagement announcement it mentioned that GF was descended from two of Queen Victoria's children. I undestand how he is descended from the Princess Royal, Victoria. But he's also descended from Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, and Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. Can anybody help me trace this? I can't figure it out.

In one engagement announcement it mentioned that GF was descended from two of Queen Victoria's children. I undestand how he is descended from the Princess Royal, Victoria. But he's also descended from Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, and Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. Can anybody help me trace this? I can't figure it out.

Prince Alfred
Princess Victoria Melita (married to Grand Kyril of Russia)
Grand DcuhessKira of Russia (married to Prince Louis Ferdinand of Prussia)
Prince Louis Ferdinand jr.
Prince Georg Friedrich

Can anyone tell me,does the will stipulate that the Heir should marry a member of just sovereign and mediatized families or just a member of "uradel"?

I am asking this because of Georg Friedrich's uncle Christian Sigismund,.the marriage is considered good enough as he is next in line..He is married to Countess Nina zu Reventlow...

Reventlow family is neither sovereign nor mediatized,but the were reischsgrafen from 18th century and a very old family...

Last edited:

Georg-Freidrich's paternal grandmother, the former HH Princess Kira of Russia, was the daughter of HRH Princess Victoria Melita of Edinburgh and HIH Grand Duke Cyril Vladimirovich of Russia (de-jure Tsar of All Russias in-exile after the murder of Tsar Nicholas II, the Tsarevitch and Grand Duke Michael in the Revolution).

Kira's maternal grandparents were HRH The Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, and the former HIH Grand Duchess Marie Alexandrovna of Russia.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me,does the will stipulate that the Heir should marry a member of just sovereign and mediatized families or just a member of "uradel"?

I am asking this because of Georg Friedrich's uncle Christian Sigismund,.the marriage is considered good enough as he is next in line..He is married to Countess Nina zu Reventlow...

Reventlow family is neither sovereign nor mediatized,but the were reischsgrafen from 18th century and a very old family...

I believe the Will requires the Head and the heir to marry equally, or lose all succession and inheritance rights.

I believe the Will requires the Head and the heir to marry equally, or lose all succession and inheritance rights.

I understood this also...but Georg Friedrich's uncle who has married a Reventlow is next in line,after him his son...so this union is obviously treated equal...

There was once a Reventlow Queen of Denmark who was forced into retreat after her husbands death because she was considered not good enough by birth..

There was also her sister who was good enough to be Duchess of Schleswig-Holstein-Ploen,so this means there were different rules depending on a House...

That's why I was asking is anything stipulated in Wilhelm's will or was in generally said that it had to be of "high birth"?

There was a case of a wedding similar to Christian Sigismund and Nina's in the past: in 1914 Prince Oskar, one of Wilhelm II's sons, married to Countess Ina-Marie von Bassewitz, who was born from a noble Family, but not mediatized and definitely not royal. The marriage was firstly considered as morganatic, but a few years later in 1919 it was acknowledged by the Emperor as equal.

I suppose it is the Head of the House to decide what is equal or not, as it happens in several other houses.
I can also guess that when Christian Sigismund married, there was a sort of necessity that his marriage didn't cause him the loss of his rights of succession (because Louis Ferdinand was quite old, and it was likely that he died before Georg Friedrich reached the age of majority, and in this case it would have been important that Christian Sigismund was dinastically able to act as "regent"); in such a situation, even a mere Countess from a noble-but-not-so-much-noble family may have appeard as an equal bride for the Prince (especially if compared to the commoner wives of Louis Ferdinand's eldest sons).

I think also that it's the head of the House who dewcides and that now the bride has to be noble. The Wedding of Prince Wilhelm-Karl to Armgard von Veltheim in 1952 was approved and also the Wedding of his son Oskar to Auguste Zimmermann von Siefart in 1992. Wilhelm-Karl was quietfar back in the succession when he married as but when Prince Oscar married in 1992 there where only Prince Georg Friedrich, Prince Christian Sigismund, Prince Christian Ludwig, his father Prince Wilhelm-Karl and his older brother Wilhelm-Karl before him as all other have cased to be dynasts.

Last edited:
Thank you for all your answers...I was just interested in criteria concerning acceptable brides...The one who were noble but haven't been accepted were the ones such as:

-Dorothea von Salviati

-Ehrengard von Reden

-Brigitte von Dallwitz-Wegner

-Lady Brigid Guinness

Accepted,apart from mentioned above was also:

-Countess Antoinette Hoyos von und zu Stichsenstein

Not sure about Maria Anna von Humboldt-Dachroeden,Lady Hermione Stuart or Adelheid von Bockum gennant Dolffs...

So,from now on it is up to Georg Friedrich to decide according to Wilhelm's will or no matter what is says in the will he will decide who could be considered equal and who can't...

Last edited:
Ehrengard von Reden didn't count as Friedrich Wilhelm had already renounced his rights before his first marriage.
And Brigitte von Dallwitz-Wegner was not noble she is not a von only Dallwitz-Wegner.
And as far as i know Lady Brigid Guiness was accepted as equal.

Ehrengard von Reden didn't count as Friedrich Wilhelm had already renounced his rights before his first marriage.
And Brigitte von Dallwitz-Wegner was not noble she is not a von only Dallwitz-Wegner.
And as far as i know Lady Brigid Guiness was accepted as equal.

I think I read somewhere that Marlene Koenig or someone else e-mailed to Prince Michael about his wife and that he wrote back that she is indeed von...

It makes sense of what you write because in some genealogy sites she is referred as von and in some not...that is the puzzle!

You are also right about Lady Guinness,but unfortunately none of her sons married equally...

The oldest actually married a Honourable but i believe he didn't ask for consent. And Marlene has pointed out somewhere that the father of Birgitte was adopted or something like this.

That makes sense...Thank you Stefan! ;-)

It is interesting to know which marriage is treated as "equal" and what are the criteria of the House of Hohenzollern concerning that!

No - a mediated house is considered equal

It didn't matter who Friedrich Wilhelm married after his first divorce. He was non-existant as a dynast.

See my book about the nonsense regarding Birgitta Dallwitz ... she is NOT A MEMBER OF THE VON DALLWITZ FAMILY!

Lady Brigid was certainly equal although the kids were first registered with the name Mansfield.
Lady Hermione was equal.
Thank you for all your answers...I was just interested in criteria concerning acceptable brides...The one who were noble but haven't been accepted were the ones such as:

-Dorothea von Salviati

-Ehrengard von Reden

-Brigitte von Dallwitz-Wegner

-Lady Brigid Guinness

Accepted,apart from mentioned above was also:

-Countess Antoinette Hoyos von und zu Stichsenstein

Not sure about Maria Anna von Humboldt-Dachroeden,Lady Hermione Stuart or Adelheid von Bockum gennant Dolffs...

So,from now on it is up to Georg Friedrich to decide according to Wilhelm's will or no matter what is says in the will he will decide who could be considered equal and who can't...

The British von Preussens are largely far removed - although all the living descendants were involved in the lawsuit although the outcome affected only 2 people.

The oldest actually married a Honourable but i believe he didn't ask for consent. And Marlene has pointed out somewhere that the father of Birgitte was adopted or something like this.

Does anyone know if Prince Georg Friedrich will be invited to the wedding of Prince William or to Prince Albert's wedding as the head of the house of Hohenzollern. I mean he was invited to the wedding of Crown Prince Felipe of Spain and Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark. I don't understand why I don't see Prince Georg in most royal weddings when most of the reigning royal houses have German blood, take the wedding of Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden, you see the Crown prince of Yugoslavia and Princess Margarita of Romania, why can't they invite someone is more honourable and has a more royal lineage like Prince Georg or Grand Duchess Maria of Russia

Never forget that Georg is a business man with a fulltime job and a second job with a lot responsibility ( head of the house) and he is anyway not that much into publicity ( no engagement interview in no magazine :( ).

He will be invited to both weddings for sure, because Empress Friedrich was a princess royal and he has connection to Monaco by Ernst. BUT I don't think he'll come to Monaco wedding, because it's the prussian's family jubilee this year with many duties in the summer ( and Ernst might also NOT come ;)).

I guess he'll join William's wedding - perfect possibilty to introduce Sophie.

IYou are also right about Lady Guinness,but unfortunately none of her sons married equally...
However, her daughter married quite well. Princess Antonia is currently the Marchioness of Douro. Her husband, the Marquess, is the eldest son of the 95 year-old Duke of Wellington.

Never forget that Georg is a business man with a fulltime job and a second job with a lot responsibility ( head of the house) and he is anyway not that much into publicity ( no engagement interview in no magazine :( ).

He will be invited to both weddings for sure, because Empress Friedrich was a princess royal and he has connection to Monaco by Ernst. BUT I don't think he'll come to Monaco wedding, because it's the prussian's family jubilee this year with many duties in the summer ( and Ernst might also NOT come ;)).

I guess he'll join William's wedding - perfect possibilty to introduce Sophie.

I hope you are right, It would be so nice to see him in the wedding of William with HSH Princess Sophie. Are there any calendar of events for the celebration of the 950th year of the house of Hohenzollern?

I would love to see Georg Friedrich at William and Kate's wedding, but I would be somewhat surprised. It seems to me that the German/Austrian royals and the British royals don't interact act that much anymore. Am I wrong?

Also, my memory fails me. What are Georg Friedrich and Sophie's professions?

AFAIK no German Royal House got an invite.

I think some of them will get an invitation due to connection with Prince Philipp as descendants of his sisters were all from German houses and so close relatives...

His first cousin Princess Margaretha von Baden attended the Christmas lunch at Windsor this year...

Somehow I don't think that Georg is invited...I would like that so much,but I do not believe :-(

It would be a shame I think that GF would not have been invited. I hope he is.

I heard saw in a thread here that people can actually write to royalty, I was wondering if anyone has ever written to HI&RH Prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia? Most of the people of who wrote letters in the thread wrote to reigning royal families. So I'm wondering would it be possible to write to HI&RH Prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia? If so, How?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom