The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > Royal Families of Germany and Austria > The Royal and Princely Houses of Hohenzollern

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 01:20 PM
Nobility

Last week Prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia visited a Photo exhibition at Castle Hohenzollern in Hechingen. The topic of that are pictures of the life of his grandfather, Prince Louis Ferdinand of Prussia. At the first photo he is looking at a picture with him.
Photos by Seegerpress.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00136276.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	114866   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00136281.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	114867   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00136282.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	114868   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00136287.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	114869  

Name:	pre-SEEGER00136288.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	114870   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00136289.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	114871   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00136297.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	114872   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00136465.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	114873  

Old 04-09-2005, 01:15 PM
Aristocracy

Lightbulb

I remember when he did an interview for Vanity Fair. He was quoted as to saying that "the German people should think about bringing back the monarchy, I am sure it will happen." He was in the section called rulers without a throne.

Are the people of Germany unhappy with the present government or was he just being a little cocky.

Old 04-09-2005, 01:32 PM
Gentry

I read that article, too. In fact, I still have that edition of Vanity Fair. I don't know that he was being cocky so much as planting a seed in the minds of the German people. I don't think he's so much saying that if they choose to have the v. Preussen house reinstalled as rulers, he's going to be an absolute monarch. I'm very certain he will at best be ceremonial. It would be interesting to see...it must be difficult for him to have been raised with a particular history and particular ideals to uphold that are now defunct. What I'm trying to say is to be raised to think like a Kaiser...but there be no Kaiserreich!!
Old 04-28-2005, 01:47 PM
Royal Highness

I'm sure I've asked this question before but has he given any interviews that address his feelings about being part of a now defunct royal family? Very difficult for him, I would imagine!
Old 04-28-2005, 09:38 PM
Courtier

A couple of years before the VF interview, he spoke to London's Daily Telegraph and said he was glad he didn't have to deal with the same stuff William & Harry deal with.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:53 AM
Gentry

Royal House of Hohenzollern (Prussia)

I like to start a new thread with Information and Pics of the Prussian Family which ruled Germany until World War I 1918 including the Members of the House of Prussia today.

Here is a pic of Georg Friedrich of Prussia with his Sister Cornelie Cecilie.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2005, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Hohenzollerns

A couple of pics:

HI & RH Georg-Friedrich (b 1976), Prince of Prussia, Head of the Imperial and Royal House of Prussia, Head of the House of Hohenzollern.

Burg Hohenzollern, the seat of the dynasty, in the south of Wurttemberg. This fabulous castle is still owned by the family.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Prussia HI&RH Prince Georg Friedrich.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	154759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hohenzollern Burg Hohenzollern.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	154760  
Old 10-24-2005, 11:33 PM
Gentry

Is Prince Georg Friedrich and his sister, Cornelie Cecilie children of Prince Louis Ferdinand and Princess Kira?
Old 10-25-2005, 03:36 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jil
Is Prince Georg Friedrich and his sister, Cornelie Cecilie children of Prince Louis Ferdinand and Princess Kira?
No, they are the grandchildren of Prince Louis Ferdinand and the former Grand Duchess Kira.

The eldest son, Prince Friedrich Wilhelm, renounced his rights for himself and his descendants in 1967 (unequal marriage);

The second son, Prince Michael, had done the same in 1966 (same reason);

The third son, Prince Louis Ferdinand (jnr) was killed in an accident during army manoeuvres in 1977. He had married two years previously HIllH Countess Donata, daughter of the 4th Fürst zu Castell-Rüdenhausen. They had two children, Prince Georg Friedrich, the current Head of the House of Hohenzollern, and Princess Cornelie-Cecile, who was born posthumously in 1978.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:33 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgaine
I like to start a new thread with Information and Pics of the Prussian Family which ruled Germany until World War I 1918 including the Members of the House of Prussia today.

Here is a pic of Georg Friedrich of Prussia with his Sister Cornelie Cecilie.
Isn't this his cousin Victoria-Luise? I always thought that Cornelie-Cecile was mentally handicapped.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:19 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanychick3000
Former Prussian royal families, I havent heard anything new about Prince Georg Friedrich.
I have been searching myself and haven't come up with anything recent (in English, that is). The Telegraph ran a few articles on him a few years ago but, so far, this is all I have been able to turn up:

----------------------------------
Prince sets his sights on German throne
By Hannah Cleaver in Berlin
(Filed: 17/01/2001)
THE pretender to the German throne, Georg Friedrich Hohenzollern, has indicated that he would be willing to wear the crown in a restored monarchy.

As relatives of Frederick the Great gather in Berlin to mark the 300th anniversary of the first coronation of a Prussian kaiser, the prince said: "My family could undertake a representative role by setting an example."

But the 24-year-old great-great-grandson of Kaiser Wilhelm II, Germany's last royal ruler who abdicated after the First World War, added: "I totally identify with the democracy in Germany." At least 50 princes and princesses will meet tomorrow mark Prince-Elector Frederick III's bold self-coronation as King Frederick I of Prussia. Most of them have long since abandoned ideas of claiming a crown.

More than 350 events are being planned in what are now the Berlin and Brandenburg federal states. Prince Georg Friedrich said: "I believe that the awareness of Prussia can be strengthened by such things."

The return of the royals has provoked mixed feelings among today's Germans. The Giant Guard, the Prussian royal family's personal troops, will be absent from tomorrow's gathering as it was feared that their presence could spark political demonstrations.

----------------------------------
I don't envy Royal Family, says heir to German throne
(Filed: 26/12/2001)

THE 25-year-old who is successor to Kaiser Wilhelm II's title tells Hannah Cleaver why he is happy to remain an ordinary citizen.

THE man who has just won a legal victory to declare himself the head of Germany's last ruling royal family says he is perfectly happy with life as a citizen of a republic.

Prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia, who has defeated two uncles in a court case over the right to be called the head of the Hohenzollern family, says: "I'm very happy that it's different for me than it is for Princes William and Harry.

"It was a bit like that for me - so hectic - after 1994 when my grandfather died, but it calmed down after a while. I would not swap with William and Harry. I'm amazed by the attention they get."

The 25-year-old does not go as far as to describe himself as a republican, preferring a cautious formula of self-declared apoliticism.

But he does insist: "I do not see any reason for the political system in Germany to be changed. And I am very happy - probably happier than many of my forebears."

Georg has every reason to be content. Young and single, he is one of the country's most eligible bachelors. He is worth at least £10 million and owns one of the country's most famous castles.

That brings its own problems. Prince Georg is well aware of the effect he can have on others - not least young women.

He said: "It's not so extreme for me as it must be for Prince William. It is noticeable sometimes, but it is not something that upsets me or disturbs my life."

Comparisons with Prince William are easy to make - another young, modern royal grappling with the task of combining traditional responsibilities and creating a life of his own. Yet knowing that his is not a throne which can ever be occupied simplifies matters greatly.

Having done A-levels at Glen Almond boarding school in Scotland, he is now studying business in the southern German town of Freiberg, but visits Berlin frequently and enjoys the anonymity the metropolis offers.

"I can go and see friends in the central districts of Berlin and walk around without anyone knowing who I am," he told The Telegraph.

"I think for Prince William it must be much more difficult. I would like to meet him and have a drink with him, I'm sure it would be great.

"This history between our countries would not be a problem for us as we are simply people and a new generation. And we are related after all, through Queen Victoria. Queen Elizabeth II and my grandfather were second cousins."

The Hohenzollerns left the throne in 1918, unlamented by a war-ravaged Europe. Kaiser Wilhelm II, the last emperor, is regarded by some British and American historians as the man who did more than any other to start the First World War.

But Georg, like most modern German historians, is more forgiving. "I have the great advantage that for me he is not just a historical figure like he is for most of the people in the world - I had two grandfathers who knew him as a person.

"I think it is always important when you talk or write about people not to forget that they are or were human and that it was different in other situations and times.

"They are people and products of their time, yet are often pigeon-holed. He was often taken as pompous but those were the times. Despite that, of course, I would have wanted him to do things differently, in foreign policy obviously."

The Hohenzollerns and Prince Georg generate little interest in the Bundesrepublik. One newspaper editor said last week that he had never heard of the pretender. "Who is he? You Brits are obsessed with royals."

The "Brits" are equally obsessed with the war, according to Georg, who had a mixed experience at boarding school in Scotland.

"I must say that this idea that can be found in Britain that all Germans are to be taken as Nazis is interesting. British people don't consider the word Nazi to be as offensive as Germans do.

"When I was at boarding school people used to call me Nazi but then after a while it changed to being kaiser and I didn't mind that at all."

After his father died in 1977, Prince Georg's upbringing was largely overseen by his grandfather, Prince Louis Ferdinand, who succeeded in giving his protege a relatively private childhood.

"My childhood was not spent 'in office' as a prince. With me it was far more private than for the British princes. The things that you have to do as head of the royal house were handed over to me gradually by my grandfather.

"My father died very early and my grandfather was in charge - a very relaxed man, he brought the duties of the family to me gradually. Things were explained to me slowly so it was not a great shock when I became head of the family."

He is now two years away from getting his degree and hopes to forge a career in online banking. Georg has been able to focus more on his future since last month's legal victory.

As for his ultimate choice of bride, Georg will face a very limited choice if he follows tradition. There are not many suitable women of the right generation available - according to ancient family law his bride must be a princess.

But, without saying he will break with the past, he notes the recent wedding of Prince Haaken, heir to Norway's throne, to a commoner.

He said: "At the moment I'm still too young for that. I think also that God will decide for me. At the end of the day I am head of the house and can always change things if I really want to."
Old 07-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Aristocracy

Article

Does anyone know where I could read the Vanity Fair article that featured Prince Georg Friedrich? I beleive someone said on here it was from 2004 but I am not positive. Or if someone would be so kind to post it on here I would be forever grateful!:)
Old 08-07-2006, 05:02 AM
Nobility

There are new photos of Prince Georg Friedrich at the Red Cross ball inthe Moanco thread (apparently, sorry I don't know anything about this family but someone in the Red Cross Ball thread mentioned it)

He is walking with Charlene Wittstock (Prince Albert's girlfriend)
Old 12-03-2006, 12:19 AM
Gentry

Georg Friedrich von Preussen to-day

The empire may be gone, but not the emperor
Old 12-03-2006, 06:18 AM
Heir Apparent

If I look at this face, I'm rather glad that this is not the Head of our state but a hard-working man names Horst Köhler with a deep sense for the value of our constitution. But then, I live in Bavaria and I quite like the members of the House of Wittelsbach...
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:50 AM
Gentry

I agree with Horst Köhler. The two men are very similar in this respect -- they do not support one party or another, but both believe in the constitution of the county they love to serve
Old 12-20-2006, 06:15 PM
Gentry

I know, that the successor of Prussian royal family and a crown of German Empire Georg-Friedrich Hogenzollern has the sister. This sister is name Cornelia Cecilia. It was born in 1978. Unfortunately, I could not find a photo of Cornelia Cecilia. Somebody can place its photos here? I shall be very grateful.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Nobility

Residences

Hello. I am just starting to delve into the world of royalty and the House of Hohenzollern in particular. So I have many questions especially about royal life after the end of the monarchy. I will start here. If this is not appropriate, please let me know.

First, Georg Friedrich moved to Berlin correct? Does he have a normal apartment or did the family regain any of their properties after reunification?
Old 01-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Serene Highness

Dear Harold,

As of 2004 Georg Friedrich shared ownership of Burg Hohenzollern with the Prince of Hohenzollern.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:01 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold
Hello. I am just starting to delve into the world of royalty and the House of Hohenzollern in particular. So I have many questions especially about royal life after the end of the monarchy. I will start here. If this is not appropriate, please let me know.

First, Georg Friedrich moved to Berlin correct? Does he have a normal apartment or did the family regain any of their properties after reunification?
The family co-owns Burg Hohenzollern, with the Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen branch of the family.

The website for Burg Hohenzollern is as follows:

http://www.preussen.de/de/heute/burg_hohenzollern.html