Prince Georg Friedrich (1976- ) Head of the Royal House of Prussia (2003-Aug 2011)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
zanychick3000 said:
Former Prussian royal families, I havent heard anything new about Prince Georg Friedrich.

I have been searching myself and haven't come up with anything recent (in English, that is). The Telegraph ran a few articles on him a few years ago but, so far, this is all I have been able to turn up:

----------------------------------
Prince sets his sights on German throne
By Hannah Cleaver in Berlin
(Filed: 17/01/2001)
THE pretender to the German throne, Georg Friedrich Hohenzollern, has indicated that he would be willing to wear the crown in a restored monarchy.

As relatives of Frederick the Great gather in Berlin to mark the 300th anniversary of the first coronation of a Prussian kaiser, the prince said: "My family could undertake a representative role by setting an example."

But the 24-year-old great-great-grandson of Kaiser Wilhelm II, Germany's last royal ruler who abdicated after the First World War, added: "I totally identify with the democracy in Germany." At least 50 princes and princesses will meet tomorrow mark Prince-Elector Frederick III's bold self-coronation as King Frederick I of Prussia. Most of them have long since abandoned ideas of claiming a crown.

More than 350 events are being planned in what are now the Berlin and Brandenburg federal states. Prince Georg Friedrich said: "I believe that the awareness of Prussia can be strengthened by such things."

The return of the royals has provoked mixed feelings among today's Germans. The Giant Guard, the Prussian royal family's personal troops, will be absent from tomorrow's gathering as it was feared that their presence could spark political demonstrations.

----------------------------------
I don't envy Royal Family, says heir to German throne
(Filed: 26/12/2001)

THE 25-year-old who is successor to Kaiser Wilhelm II's title tells Hannah Cleaver why he is happy to remain an ordinary citizen.

THE man who has just won a legal victory to declare himself the head of Germany's last ruling royal family says he is perfectly happy with life as a citizen of a republic.

Prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia, who has defeated two uncles in a court case over the right to be called the head of the Hohenzollern family, says: "I'm very happy that it's different for me than it is for Princes William and Harry.

"It was a bit like that for me - so hectic - after 1994 when my grandfather died, but it calmed down after a while. I would not swap with William and Harry. I'm amazed by the attention they get."

The 25-year-old does not go as far as to describe himself as a republican, preferring a cautious formula of self-declared apoliticism.

But he does insist: "I do not see any reason for the political system in Germany to be changed. And I am very happy - probably happier than many of my forebears."

Georg has every reason to be content. Young and single, he is one of the country's most eligible bachelors. He is worth at least £10 million and owns one of the country's most famous castles.

That brings its own problems. Prince Georg is well aware of the effect he can have on others - not least young women.

He said: "It's not so extreme for me as it must be for Prince William. It is noticeable sometimes, but it is not something that upsets me or disturbs my life."

Comparisons with Prince William are easy to make - another young, modern royal grappling with the task of combining traditional responsibilities and creating a life of his own. Yet knowing that his is not a throne which can ever be occupied simplifies matters greatly.

Having done A-levels at Glen Almond boarding school in Scotland, he is now studying business in the southern German town of Freiberg, but visits Berlin frequently and enjoys the anonymity the metropolis offers.

"I can go and see friends in the central districts of Berlin and walk around without anyone knowing who I am," he told The Telegraph.

"I think for Prince William it must be much more difficult. I would like to meet him and have a drink with him, I'm sure it would be great.

"This history between our countries would not be a problem for us as we are simply people and a new generation. And we are related after all, through Queen Victoria. Queen Elizabeth II and my grandfather were second cousins."

The Hohenzollerns left the throne in 1918, unlamented by a war-ravaged Europe. Kaiser Wilhelm II, the last emperor, is regarded by some British and American historians as the man who did more than any other to start the First World War.

But Georg, like most modern German historians, is more forgiving. "I have the great advantage that for me he is not just a historical figure like he is for most of the people in the world - I had two grandfathers who knew him as a person.

"I think it is always important when you talk or write about people not to forget that they are or were human and that it was different in other situations and times.

"They are people and products of their time, yet are often pigeon-holed. He was often taken as pompous but those were the times. Despite that, of course, I would have wanted him to do things differently, in foreign policy obviously."

The Hohenzollerns and Prince Georg generate little interest in the Bundesrepublik. One newspaper editor said last week that he had never heard of the pretender. "Who is he? You Brits are obsessed with royals."

The "Brits" are equally obsessed with the war, according to Georg, who had a mixed experience at boarding school in Scotland.

"I must say that this idea that can be found in Britain that all Germans are to be taken as Nazis is interesting. British people don't consider the word Nazi to be as offensive as Germans do.

"When I was at boarding school people used to call me Nazi but then after a while it changed to being kaiser and I didn't mind that at all."

After his father died in 1977, Prince Georg's upbringing was largely overseen by his grandfather, Prince Louis Ferdinand, who succeeded in giving his protege a relatively private childhood.

"My childhood was not spent 'in office' as a prince. With me it was far more private than for the British princes. The things that you have to do as head of the royal house were handed over to me gradually by my grandfather.

"My father died very early and my grandfather was in charge - a very relaxed man, he brought the duties of the family to me gradually. Things were explained to me slowly so it was not a great shock when I became head of the family."

He is now two years away from getting his degree and hopes to forge a career in online banking. Georg has been able to focus more on his future since last month's legal victory.

As for his ultimate choice of bride, Georg will face a very limited choice if he follows tradition. There are not many suitable women of the right generation available - according to ancient family law his bride must be a princess.

But, without saying he will break with the past, he notes the recent wedding of Prince Haaken, heir to Norway's throne, to a commoner.

He said: "At the moment I'm still too young for that. I think also that God will decide for me. At the end of the day I am head of the house and can always change things if I really want to."

Article

Does anyone know where I could read the Vanity Fair article that featured Prince Georg Friedrich? I beleive someone said on here it was from 2004 but I am not positive. Or if someone would be so kind to post it on here I would be forever grateful!:)

There are new photos of Prince Georg Friedrich at the Red Cross ball inthe Moanco thread (apparently, sorry I don't know anything about this family but someone in the Red Cross Ball thread mentioned it)

He is walking with Charlene Wittstock (Prince Albert's girlfriend)

If I look at this face, I'm rather glad that this is not the Head of our state but a hard-working man names Horst Köhler with a deep sense for the value of our constitution. But then, I live in Bavaria and I quite like the members of the House of Wittelsbach...

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Horst Köhler. The two men are very similar in this respect -- they do not support one party or another, but both believe in the constitution of the county they love to serve :)

I know, that the successor of Prussian royal family and a crown of German Empire Georg-Friedrich Hogenzollern has the sister. This sister is name Cornelia Cecilia. It was born in 1978. Unfortunately, I could not find a photo of Cornelia Cecilia. Somebody can place its photos here? I shall be very grateful.

Residences

Hello. I am just starting to delve into the world of royalty and the House of Hohenzollern in particular. So I have many questions especially about royal life after the end of the monarchy. I will start here. If this is not appropriate, please let me know.

First, Georg Friedrich moved to Berlin correct? Does he have a normal apartment or did the family regain any of their properties after reunification?

Dear Harold,

As of 2004 Georg Friedrich shared ownership of Burg Hohenzollern with the Prince of Hohenzollern.

Harold said:
Hello. I am just starting to delve into the world of royalty and the House of Hohenzollern in particular. So I have many questions especially about royal life after the end of the monarchy. I will start here. If this is not appropriate, please let me know.

First, Georg Friedrich moved to Berlin correct? Does he have a normal apartment or did the family regain any of their properties after reunification?

The family co-owns Burg Hohenzollern, with the Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen branch of the family.

The website for Burg Hohenzollern is as follows:

http://www.preussen.de/de/heute/burg_hohenzollern.html

Benjamin said:
Dear Harold,

As of 2004 Georg Friedrich shared ownership of Burg Hohenzollern with the Prince of Hohenzollern.

But Hohenzollern is in the southwest of Germany, thus they kept it after WWI and never lost ownership of the castle.

Prince Georg Friederich lives in Sigmaringen and in Berlin, correct? Where in Berlin? I read somewhere that his grandfather built a house in Berlin called "Villa Monbijou." Anyone know where it is or if there are any photographs? Does he work other than managing the family assets? (Do they have any assets?)

Harold said:
Prince Georg Friederich lives in Sigmaringen and in Berlin, correct? Where in Berlin? I read somewhere that his grandfather built a house in Berlin called "Villa Monbijou." Anyone know where it is or if there are any photographs? Does he work other than managing the family assets? (Do they have any assets?)
The family retains Schloss Hohenzollern, Schloss Sigmaringen and other properties.

Warren said:
The family retains Schloss Hohenzollern, Schloss Sigmaringen and other properties.

Burg Hohenzollern belongs to 1/3 to the Princely Family of Hohenzollern and to 2/3 to the Royal Family of Prussia. Schloß Sigmaringen and a few other Castles belong to the Princely Family of Hohenzollern.

Btw: Would it not be easier if there would be one Thread of the Princely Family of Hohenzollern (-Sigmaringen) and one of the Royal Family of Prussia as it all mixed in this one here.

Georg Friedrich in Vanity Fair September 2003:

"The people of Germany should start thinking about bringing back the monarchy. I am sure it will happen."
-Georg Friedrich, Prince of Prussia

Short quote. The rest of the information on him is just background information on his life.

Last edited by a moderator:
HR&IH Prince Georg Friedrich celebrates his 31 birthday today,june 10th.

I saw a short video of Georg Friedrich at Hohenzollern Castle. He was walking through it and, in one shot, was taking down the flag. I thought it would be the old Prussian flag or the old royal standard, but it turned out to be the old flag of the Hohenzollern Land. Does he, and other German royals, normally fly the old standards over their homes?

Fürst Siegfried zu Castell-Rüdenhausen, the maternal grandfather of Prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia, passed away at Rüdenhausen Castle 16th november, aged 91. He was married to countess Irene zu Solms-Laubach, who passed away last year, and together they had eight children, seven sons and one daughter. Fürst Siegfried will be buried in the family vault on Saturday 24th november.

Source: Netty's wonderful site:
Netty's Royalty Page

Today when they broadcasted a Doku about Prince Albert on the occasion of his 50th birthday on German "ARD" I noticed that Prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia attended official events in Monaco obviously regularly. Wonder whether Ernst August is involved in the invitation. Wonder second whether it´s good publicity for Georg Friedrich to have too much contact to Ernst August and the Monegasque noble family.....(Imagine him marrying Charlotte....:cool:)

Who is producing these videos of Georg Friedrich? Is he trying to create or maintain Hohenzollern visibility?

Who is producing these videos of Georg Friedrich? Is he trying to create or maintain Hohenzollern visibility?

The clip was taken from the documentary In Europa. Georg Friedrich's segment was just that... a brief segment.

Extract from the second episode of the history documentary series 'In Europa', including an interview with the kaiser's great great grandson Prinz Georg von Preußen, at his visit to Doorn, the Netherlands.
You can find the full version at http://www.ineuropa.nl/jaar/1906/

Prince Georg-Friedrich opened an exhibition ' The Emperor and Europe' in Huise Doorn, The Netherlands. The exhibition is about Kaiser Wilhelm II...and Europe. Huis Doorn is the place where Wilhelm II spent most of his years in exile. Prince Christian Sigismund also attended the opening. Apart from this exhibition he also formally started the use of a database of 12.000 pictures that will be made available on the internet.

Pictures here.

Huis Doorn

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom