The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-11-2011, 09:44 AM

Harold,

As I recall I have read the samething in a nuber of book as well.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by David V View Post
Maybe it's the Habsburg and Wittelsbach aficionado in me, but I've come to the view that the way German Unification was attained following the Austo-Prussian War wasn't all right. Especially when it led to the dispossession of such states as Hanover, for one. Of course, we realise what we have lost in the last century with the fall of German and Austrian monarchies- what a dreadful legacy the 1918-89 years gave this world!

For all his faults, Kaiser Wilhelm II pales in comparison to any number of US and Latin American presidents, and even modern day politicians and businessmen, in arrogance and all else. And while the Kaiser had more actual power than the King of Great Britain, our governments today have more power over us than the Kaiser had over his subjects. Why else do you see "executive power theories" floated about the US presidency?
My dear David V,

I agree with the first paragraph of your post but do you really believe that Wilhelm's arrogance pales in comparison to today's leaders? You may compare him in the same light as autocrats and dictators, but I don't believe democratically elected individuals are more arrogant than the Kaiser was when he ruled over Germany. I read an article on Gadaffi who loved to wear outrageous outfits which symbolized African unity or his victories or whatever else took root in his crazed head. I feel the same about Kaiser Wilhelm II -- a militarized vain peacock who flew off the handle on a moment's notice and had everyone around him walking on egg shells.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:18 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post
My dear David V,

I agree with the first paragraph of your post but do you really believe that Wilhelm's arrogance pales in comparison to today's leaders? You may compare him in the same light as autocrats and dictators, but I don't believe democratically elected individuals are more arrogant than the Kaiser was when he ruled over Germany. I read an article on Gadaffi who loved to wear outrageous outfits which symbolized African unity or his victories or whatever else took root in his crazed head. I feel the same about Kaiser Wilhelm II -- a militarized vain peacock who flew off the handle on a moment's notice and had everyone around him walking on egg shells.
Bush? Any number of Latin American leaders over the years who not only showed little regard for their citizens but inflicted far worse abuses on them? I think today's politicians are arrogant, full of themselves and the fact that governments today exercise more real power than they did a century ago while being more distant from the common man makes things worse.

"Executive power theories" mean the belief the US President has gained more real power than Wilhelm II or Nicholas II had before World War I, which the media, Congress and courts are loathe to challenge. Which in some ways may be hard to refute.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:08 PM

From what I have read about Wilhiem II, despite his constant meddling in state affiars of other countries, it seems to me that when the war began he could not have really predicted what would eventually happen during, and after, the war.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:45 PM
Serene Highness

In the book Long to Reign? The Survival of Monarchies in the Modern World by A. W. Purdue, it is mentioned that the Kaiser Wilhelm "could perhaps have saved the Hohenzollern dynasty" by "abdication in the late summer of 1918 in favour of his grandson, the twelve-year-old Prince Wilhelm."
I know that Wilhelm II abdicated in 1918. This is the first time I have read a mention of Wilhelm Friedrich Franz Joseph Christian Olaf possibly succeeding his grandfather. Why bypass the Crown Prince? Who would have been the Regent for young Wilhelm? His father, the Crown Prince? His Uncle Eitel Friedrich? His Uncle Adalbert?
Old 02-04-2014, 04:19 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
In the book Long to Reign? The Survival of Monarchies in the Modern World by A. W. Purdue, it is mentioned that the Kaiser Wilhelm "could perhaps have saved the Hohenzollern dynasty" by "abdication in the late summer of 1918 in favour of his grandson, the twelve-year-old Prince Wilhelm."
I know that Wilhelm II abdicated in 1918. This is the first time I have read a mention of Wilhelm Friedrich Franz Joseph Christian Olaf possibly succeeding his grandfather. Why bypass the Crown Prince? Who would have been the Regent for young Wilhelm? His father, the Crown Prince? His Uncle Eitel Friedrich? His Uncle Adalbert?
The Crown prince had fought in the war and so was implicated in the eyes of the Americans. That was why he wouldn't have been acceptable. In the end the Us President was totally against the keeping of the German Monarchies and he ensured that they wouldn't remain.
I have no idea who would have been acceptable as Regent, perhaps Prince Max of Baden.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Kaiser Wilhelm's True Opinion of Hitler

Lost in the Myths of History: Kaiser Wilhelm's True Opinion of Hitler
Old 07-09-2014, 08:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, indeed, The Kaiser, hated Hitler, unfortunately some of his sons did not. The Kaiser, also, tried to avoid WWI. He was not the first into war, but the Emperor Franz Joseph. The Kaiser had a very good side to him. He was a loving husband and a decent father. He had flat sides, too. He had emotional problems, but that was not his fault.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Kaiser tried to avoid the war? What?
Old 07-10-2014, 12:01 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Yes, indeed, The Kaiser, hated Hitler, unfortunately some of his sons did not. The Kaiser, also, tried to avoid WWI. He was not the first into war, but the Emperor Franz Joseph. The Kaiser had a very good side to him. He was a loving husband and a decent father. He had flat sides, too. He had emotional problems, but that was not his fault.

Ummmm what?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-11-2014, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
The Kaiser, also, tried to avoid WWI. He was not the first into war, but the Emperor Franz Joseph.
Well, Franz Josef indeed was the first one into war, starting the war against Serbia. But it was Wilhelm II who started the war against Russia and France, invading Belgium and the Netherlands and therefore involving the Uniter Kingdom in the war.
Hard to say that he tried to avoid the war.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
Well, Franz Josef indeed was the first one into war, starting the war against Serbia. But it was Wilhelm II who started the war against Russia and France, invading Belgium and the Netherlands and therefore involving the Uniter Kingdom in the war.
Hard to say that he tried to avoid the war.

Also, giving support to the Austrians for the ultimatum they have to the Serbians. I.e. the Austrians would not have attacked Serbia without Germany's backing.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:50 PM
Serene Highness

What military positions did the sons of Wilhelm II have during the First World War?
Old 07-15-2014, 11:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
What military positions did the sons of Wilhelm II have during the First World War?

Wilhelm was named commander of the 5th Army, then later he became commander of Army Group German Crown Prince. In 1916 his troops were involved in he Verdun Offense. He would later be relieved of command of the 5th Army, but remained in command of the Army Group.

Eitel had a more military background. At the start of the war he was in command of the Prussian First Foot Guards and was wounded at Bapaume. In 1915 he fought in the Eastern front. He was awarded the Iron Cross.

Adalbert was in the marines. He started the war as a Lieutenant on the SMS Kaiser, in 1917 he was a Lieutenant Commander on the SMS Danzig, and by 1918 he was a Commander on the SMS Dresden. He to was awarded the Iron Cross.

Augustus Wilhelm was a district administrator for Ruppin during the war.

Oskar started the war commanding a regiment, where he directly lead his men in battle. By the end of 1914 he had been awarded the Iron Cross twice, both first and second class. He was injured though, and after recovering went on to fight on the Eastern Front, where he was injured again.

Joachim was a 2nd lieutenant and was also awarded the Iron Cross.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:36 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Although blaming the Kaiser was a popular thign after WWI, the historical consensus has moved on decades ago. They went from blaming the Serbians, the Kaiser-Germans, the European state system only to end up at the start. At present the consensus is that the Serbian nationalists are mainly responsible. They knowingly risked a European was to suit their own nationalistic ambitions: see f.e. ´World War One. The Global Revlution´ by Lawrence Sondhaus (Cambridge 2011).
The Kaiser had little to say at the beginning of the war and had become a puppet of the generals by the end of it.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Over the past few weeks the Irish time has been publishing various newspaper reports from the build up to the out break of the Great War in 1914.

‘People wonder why Kaiser Wilhelm II decided not to go to Vienna’

‘People wonder why Kaiser Wilhelm II decided not to go to Vienna’

Tags
emperor wilhelm ii, hohenzollern, kaiser, wilhelm ii, world war i