The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-15-2013, 12:40 PM

Unseen Photo of the Kaiser

Hello everyone, Although there is much more to this photo, I am simply looking for opinions. Would any one here have any doubts as to whether the man in the photo is the Kaiser? Please let me know what you think.

The inserted comparative photo the Kaiser is 21 years of age which would have been taken approximately 1880, the photo in question is suspect of being taken late 1880's with the Kaiser being approximately 30 years of age.

Thank You!

Old 12-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Royal Highness

Don't know the picture in question, but in the case of Wilhelm II one very clear feature should be the left arm being visibly shorter than the right... unfortunately it's not very clear from this angle..

Old 12-15-2013, 07:14 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I can't imagine the German emperor would ever dress like this, he was known to take pride in his clothes, changing several times a day. The man on the picture looks unkept in comparison. There is a facial resemblance, but that may be the angle of the picture. The ears seem to have a different shape too.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

I feel like the arch of his eyebrow and the style of the mustache is different as well.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

The quality of the clothes don't seem to be right for the wealth and class of the Kaiser but more working class/farming class clothes.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:02 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

The retouching (the photoshopping of its day) of the inset photo has been botched in that one side of the moustache is notably thinner than the other.
The main photo appears to be of a rural worker, certainly not the Kaiser.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Kaiser's consort, Empress Augusta, seemed to have quickly lost patience with her husband and allied herself with her son, Crown Prince Wilhelm.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Life of the Week: Kaiser Wilhelm II

On 9 November 1918, the abdication of Germany’s Kaiser (emperor) Wilhelm II was announced – two days before the armistice, which ended the First World War

Kaiser Wilhelm II: His life and facts | History Extra
Old 04-11-2016, 11:17 PM

Off subject...Do any letters exist between Wilhelm and "Dona"? How close was their marriage, like did they sleep in the same bed or separate like most royals...just curious to read more about the private life of the Kaiser.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think their marriage went through some highs and lows like most long marriages. He loved her, I think, relied on her, but it wasn't like the romantic love he'd once felt for Elizabeth of Hesse.

I believe Dona was expected by her spouse to be very traditional and not like his mother trying to insert her political views or influence; to devote herself to Church, her children and domestic matters in their private life together. Dona was a rather narrow-minded and prudish individual IMO, but she did have some surprises up her sleeve. For instance she privately supported women's suffrage, though her husband certainly didn't!

There is correspondence between them still around. They had separate bedrooms but certainly got together sometimes, as they had a large family! There are several very good books around on the Kaiser. On Dona I know of one that is reasonably interesting by John Van der Kiste. It has the long-winded title of 'The Last German Empress: A life of Empress Augusta Victoria, Consort of Emperor William II.'
It's available on Amazon.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:15 AM

Thanks for replying! What you stated is pretty much what I have seen too in the books out there. I do have that book you mentioned on the Empress on order, should arrive today. Also arriving is a book called "Behind The Scenes With The Kaiser (1888-1892) The True Story of the Kaiser As He Lived, Loved, Played and Warred".I wish there were a book of their letters like there is if other royals. I also have The Kaisers Daughter.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

'The Kaiser's daughter' would be interesting. Strange how Victoria Luise married an heir to a German Royal House that had chosen to back the wrong horse against an ascendant Prussia, and Wilhelm, her father, had married a daughter of a House that had also come a cropper because of Prussia. Her wedding was the last great gathering of European royalty before the outbreak of WW1. What a sight it must have been!
Old 04-12-2016, 10:16 AM

I just got the Kaisers Daughter and look forward to reading it! Yes, to have been at that wedding! Sure would have been interesting.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:20 AM
Heir Apparent

There was an Exhibition about this very wedding at Huis Doorn in the Netherlands. I saw it !
Old 04-12-2016, 01:06 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I visited that exhibition too. It wasn't much I fear. But to see the rest of the house with the Kaisers own furniture and oddities made it interesting enough. They were thinking of making it a WWI museum, to get more subsidies from the state.

The house belonged to Audrey Hepburns maternal grandfather btw. She received a rose that was named after herself in the gardens of the castle somewhere in the late 80-ties or so. She dedicated it to her aunt baroness Jacqueline van Heemstra, who was a lady-in-waiting of Q. Juliana.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I visited that exhibition too. It wasn't much I fear. But to see the rest of the house with the Kaisers own furniture and oddities made it interesting enough. They were thinking of making it a WWI museum, to get more subsidies from the state.
It is a pitiy that this exhibition was not also shown in Germany. I know it is from the collections of Huis Doorn but after all he was German Emperor.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:45 AM
Courtier

I recently read a book about the last Empresses, Zita, Augusta Victoire, Alix and Mary. It was really interesting but I cannot remember what it was called.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:20 PM

I am reading Wilhelm's book "My Early Life" and was wondering if any of his diaries and letters have ever been published(besides the Willy/Nicky letters)? In my search I came across the book "The All Highest Goes to Jerusalem Being The Diary of the German Emperor's Visit to the Holy Land" but I can't seem to verify if that is real or historical fiction? Especially how they describe how they got the diary(stealing it from under his pillow and then putting it back)? That sounds made up to me. Oh to clarify I believe he went there,just not sure the the book of the diary is really his or fiction.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wilhelm II in color
Old 05-09-2016, 10:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joellegirl View Post
I am reading Wilhelm's book "My Early Life" and was wondering if any of his diaries and letters have ever been published(besides the Willy/Nicky letters)? In my search I came across the book "The All Highest Goes to Jerusalem Being The Diary of the German Emperor's Visit to the Holy Land" but I can't seem to verify if that is real or historical fiction? Especially how they describe how they got the diary(stealing it from under his pillow and then putting it back)? That sounds made up to me.
'The All Highest' was a satire, translated from the French by Frank Dearborn. The French (and the British) were wary of German expansionism and very much amused by the Kaiser's vain posturing and ridiculous self-aggrandisement. The bulk of the book comes from articles published in a French satirical magazine at the time of the visit to Jerusalem. It poked fun at the 'All Highest' (as Wilhelm sometimes liked to be addressed) and so really the 'diary' is both fictional and making a point about the Kaiser.